Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - June 23, 1981, Winnipeg, Manitoba
M i Nome counters concern on plan members of the City s works and operations committee yesterday expressed concern about the amount of say councillors would have in the implementation of the five year lion Core area initiative if the program is approved. Mayor Bill Norrie attempted to reas sure councillors however and told the committee that reaction to the Core area initiative has been mainly favor Able. Norrie made his comment after Field ing questions for More than an hour at a special committee Mealing held to allow councillors More Opportunity to examine the proposed renewal plan. Committee chairman John Angus Norrie the ongoing control that Council would have Over the program was the question being asked most frequently by councillors. Angus said Council has been told it would retain control Over implementation by controlling the purse strings. He said councillors have been told they will be Able to debate program expenditures every year when City funds Are allowed for the five year project Angus however said there is nothing specific in the proposed agreement be tween the City province and the Federal government to allow the City input once the document is signed. Norrie told the committee the Council would have significant he agreed the budgeting of funds is one Means of control. He added that Council would also have a say through its participation on the Board of manage ment which will be created to oversee most of the Day to Day Workings of the Core area initiative program. Angus also questioned Norrie on the possibility of an amending formula being written into the Tri level agree ment. Then if after a year we All collectively feel we have made an error regarding a specific project we can change Norrie replied there was already an amending formula. He said changes could be made if All three signatories to the agreement consent to revisions. Coun. Alf Skowron expressed concern that the three Levels of bureaucracy especially the Federal level will bog the project Down. He said in his experience the Federal bureaucracy had acted As a stumbling Block on other projects. He asked Norrie if he could Point to anything in the proposed agreement which would ensure the bureaucracy would t slow the program. Norrie said he could t give such assurances but told Skowron the Feder Al authorities had shown an openness and a willingness to co operate throughout the year of negotiations which came before the unveiling of the program earlier this month. The Core area program is currently before the standing committees of Council and Community committees which will report Back to Council in july with recommendations and com ments. Winnipeg free press tuesday june 3 protest for Ida Nudel Deputy mayor Pearl Mcgonigal listens to speeches yesterday at a rally in memorial Park to protest the continuing imprisonment in Siberia of soviet jewish activist Ida Nudel. About 75 persons at the rally were told that Nudel whose health is failing was convicted of hooliganism after she applied to emigrate. Representatives of several women s groups took part in the event sponsored by the soviet jewry committee of the Winnipeg jewish Community Council. Trailer grim reminder to family of near tragedy by Murray Mcneill honesty startles victim by Paul Moloney to Nadya Kamienski Rick Wangen is More than just another honest Citi zen. One night about two weeks ago three men robbed Kamienski of her Cash credit cards and briefcase near main Street and Anderson Avenue. The Dis carded briefcase was found shortly afterwards by Wangen who returned it the next Day. It contained six Gold rings and 24 other pieces of jewelry valued at about which had apparently been Over looked by the robbers. I still can t believe it actually happened and i got it Back. It was some thing he Wangen did t have to Kamienski said yesterday. When he came into my office i threw my arms around him and hugged Kamienski said the valuables were in her briefcase because she had gotten them Back from the appraiser that Day. The six rings were appraised at and while the jeweller did t put a Price tag on the other pieces she valued the whole package at about Kamienski said the assailants came up behind her and demanded Money. She handed Over the briefcase As Well As credit cards identification and about in Cash from her purse. She said she chased after them until one of the Trio slapped her and took her shoes. She said the men must have discarded the briefcase without noticing the jewelry which was in a Small card Board Box with her business card taped on it. Wangen said he found the briefcase in a phone Booth about four blocks from the robbery. Kamienski who plans to take wan Gen and his wife out to dinner said the mayor s office has promised to look into her request that Wangen s action be officially recognized. Every time Marie Surridge and her Young son walk out the Back door of their St. James Home they Are faced with a grim reminder of a near tragedy for the family on May 31. The grim reminder is a Jasper camper trailer. The by was a Flash explosion in the trailer s propane Furnace which scorched mrs. Surridge s legs and feet and sent her husband Bryan to Hospital with Burns to 50 to 60 per cent of his body. Since the explosion which the sur Ridge s say was caused by a defect in the Furnace Surridge has been trying to get a fort Garry trailer Dealership to take Back the trailer and refund their Money. The family s lawyer Leonard Lucas said yesterday however that the dealer Sampson s trailer City 2627 Pembina Highway has refused to re fund the Money and the family is now considering Legal action. Lucas said officials from the Provin Cial fire commissioner s office and department of labor examined the camper after the explosion and determined there was a piece of pipe missing which allowed Gas to build up in the Furance instead of being carried to the Burner. The most the Dealership has agreed to do is take Back the trailer and sell it on consignment for the couple. The couple would have to pay Sampson s a sales commission and a fee for storing it until it is sold Lucas said. He said there s obviously going to be Legal claims involving the in As Well As a possible claim for a refund on the trailer. Glen Sampson general manager of Sampson s trailer City refused to Dis cuss the matter when contacted yester Day. Officials from the fire commissioner s office and the provincial labor department could not be reached for comment yesterday. Mrs. Surridge said her son Grant was playing in the Yard and saw his injured father immediately after the explosion. He s at that age where this has made a very deep impression on she said. He s scared of the camper. He s scared it will catch fire although the trailer is a 1980 Model the Surridge s bought it new last month from Sampson s. On the Day of the explosion Surridge had been testing the fridge stove and Furnace in the Back Yard of their Home at 984 Cavalier drive. After carefully following the operating instructions he was Able to get the fridge and stove working without a hitch Surridge 34, explained in an interview yesterday from his bed in the health sciences Centre Burn unit. But when he followed the directions for lighting the Furnace it did t work he said. So he shut off the Gas line valve and Bent Down in front of the Furnace to look through a Small peephole to make sure the Pilot Light was still on. Surridge said he opened the cover to the peephole and suddenly it just seemed to explode out at me. There was a Rush of flames that just seemed to be coming right out at me and engulfing i just scrambled out of the camper As quickly As i he said adding that although he was Only wearing a pair of Cut offs i did t know if my cloths were on fire or what so i rolled around on the mrs. Surridge who had stepped into the camper seconds before the explosion suffered Burns on her legs and feet and a neighbor who heard the noise from the explosion quickly ran Ever Anu Urove tie couple to the Grace Hospital. Although mrs. Surridge was not kept in Hospital her husband was detained and later transferred to Burn Centre where he has been Ever since. He said although he probably still faces months of follow up therapy and treatment he Hopes to be released from Hospital later this week and return to his Job As administrator of the Selkirk mental health Centre within two or three weeks. Residents plan to fight ruling on sludge Beds by Joe Rubin residents living near the City s West St. Paul sludge Beds plan to Appeal a clean environment commission order which asks for yearly reports on management of the sewage. Max Saper spokesman for the West Kildonan residents advisory group said yesterday the order does not tackle the odor problem presented by the sludge Beds. He said the clean environment com Mission is accepting the situation As is. They re not doing anything different than they did in he said refer ring to a previous commission order asking the City to Monitor the sewage Beds. Saper also criticized the order for not recommending that the Beds be relocated or the sewage be piped away. He said he knows of about three Resi dents who will Appeal the Cec order. Appeals must be filed within 30 Days of the june 16 Date of Issue. The City on the other hand has no immediate plans to Appeal the order. John Angus chairman of the works and operations committee said yester Day that the order won t make Resi dents subjected to the sewage doors Happy but there Are no easy solutions Given the state of the the City s administration was asked to review the order and make recommendations on it. The commission has ordered the City to test the sewage for microscopic organisms and impurities take Mea sures to protect the contamination of groundwater and minimize the release of offensive doors. The Cec asked for a report by dec. On the microbiological characteristics of treated and untreated sew age. The City has until june 1, 1983, to establish a landscaping program including a shelter Belt of Trees around the operation. Saper said the Trees won t Deal with the problem. Landscaping does t take care of the he said. Cec asked the City for annual re ports to be filed by nov. 30, on the sludge distribution program car ried out in the previous year and for details on program plans for the year following the report. The report would also include results of research undertaken to develop alternative methods of sewage treatment and disposal. The Cec did not countermand a decision made May 12 by the works and operations committee to enlarge the Beds. Gambled and said Angus. West St. Paul Reeve j. C. Balder Stone received a letter from the City saying it would continue to enlarge the sludge Beds regardless of what the Cec ordered. Saper has said the odor from the 88 acres of sludge Beds outside the Perim Eter at Mcphillips Street is offensive to Between to people living in the adjoining areas. Works and operations commissioner Bill Finnbogason has said there is no Gerry free press musical tour capt. Ben Tempelaar leads the Canadian forces Sta Acona band through a number on the Steps of the legislative building yesterday. The Halifax based band in Winnipeg to play at the red River exhibition is on a Cross Canada tour which allows it to unveil new Blue dress uniforms Way to Stop the sewage until an alter native method is found. The City has examined costlier meth ods such As incineration and Landfill he said but practically speaking those sludge Beds Are there for some time to cleanup order issued the grand Garden restaurant at 224 King Street has been served with a six Point mandatory cleanup order by the City s health department. The owners of the restaurant have until thursday to meet requirements in the order or the establishment will be closed by the department. The order posted june 18, directs the restaurant owners to thoroughly Wash the floor in the Kitchen paying particular attention to the floor perimeters and areas underneath and Between equipment Wash inside of refrigeration equipment in Kitchen cease prac Tice of storing potentially hazardous food such As meat at room tempera Ture provide proper covering for All food containers kept in Kitchen refrigerators provide hair restraints and clean uniforms for All food handling employees thoroughly Wash inside and outside of All cooking equipment such As ovens fryers grills and canopy filters. Free Coffee preserved the Public s right to a free cup of Coffee at City Hall appears to have been preserved. Thanks to some shuffling of offices on the lower Levels of City Hall a temporary lounge for City councillors will be available in a couple of weeks eliminating the threat of councillors expropriating a Public reception room on the second floor of City Hall. The Issue arose earlier this month when coun. Jae Eadie proposed councillors expropriate the second floor Public reception room because they had no office space available to them. Winnipeg water Safe radioactive particles contained in Winnipeg s drinking water Are within established Safe guidelines according to the Federal government s radiation Protection Bureau. The radiation report tabled yester Day at the City s works and operations committee meeting listed several parameters including strontium 90, strontium 89, cerium 137 and tritium. Although the Federal Bureau said the City s water is radioactively Safe coun. Alf Skowron said the report is so Brief that it raises More questions Skowron asked that the City s medi Cal health officer and Manitoba s environmental control services Branch to report Back on the cumulative effect of water s radioactive particles on the human body Over Long periods. 750 workers at Bristol end walkout about 750 employees of Bristol Aero space limited have ended their four week strike and ratified a new collective bargaining agreement calling for a 3i.5-per-cent pay increase Over two years. The workers members of the Canad an association of Industrial mechanical and Allied workers had gone on strike at Bristol on May 25, seeking higher wages and an improved Job classification system. Henry Ross chairman of Caiman s negotiating committee said yesterday the Union s new collective bargaining agreement gives workers 15.5 per cent More pay this year with another 18 per cent during the pact s second year. The first increase is retroactive to april 1, Ross said. He said settlement talks Between Bristol and the strikers were held last thursday and Friday. The tentative agreement was ratified yesterday by a near unanimous vote. All outstanding issues regarding Job classification were resolved. The Union withdrew picket lines from the Plant during the weekend pending the ratification vote. Normal work at the Plant was to resume today
;