Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - June 26, 1981, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Licence to work not Worth the paper. 5. By Paul Moloney Winnipeg free press Gimli Gordon Bailey says he has trouble understanding Why bureaucrats keep renewing his stationary Engineer licence but no one will give him a Job because of his age 67. Forced retirement will they Send these renewals to me until i m 100 years old and yet deny me a Bailey asked a one Man provincial commission into compulsory retirement yesterday. Bailey licensed in Manitoba Ontario and Quebec said later he probably could renew the licence for the rest of sunny today 28 Clear tonight 15 my life As Long As i Send in my 315. He said he retired m years ago from a Texaco refinery in East Montreal and worked at Short term jobs before Pur chasing a Small farm at Camp Morton 11 Kilometres North of Here. Since moving to Manitoba a few years ago he s been turned Down for jobs at Viilo Portage la Prairie and Alsask sask. He said he could use additional income to fund the education of his daughter 18, the last of seven children. A Short six month contract at Al sask appealed to me but they told me they weren t allowed to hire anyone Over 65. I deplore the fact they re still crying for stationary engineers and yet they turn you Down. It seems to me a lot of companies Are Able to unload personnel at or 55, but rarely Are they willing to keep people past he said. Bailey keeps Active working around his 80-acre Chicken farm which he chose As a retirement Home because land prices and the Cost of living were Low. He said he s seen retired people just Wither away through inactivity and expected his own health would go right downhill if he did t keep Busy. He said his main message to commissioner Marshall Rothstein was that people should have Freedom to choose when to retire. A tremendous psychological Impact on a person when they reach and they re out. There should be a right to continue working. If they re capable then lift this compulsory Bailey was the Only person to appear at the Gimli hearing which was Origi Nally scheduled to last six hours but wrapped up after his 30-minute presen tation. It was disappointing there was t More interest in the Issue Bailey said adding Rothstein and assistant Alan Simms have come All the Way out Here on taxpayers Canadian dancers win Friday june Sun rises . Sets . Moon rises . Sets . Final 304 with supplements Home delivery 957-0550 classified 956-2330 second class mail req station number 0286 Wayne free press ads approve 15.5-per-cent fee increase car officials thrash out problems with native leaders while 40 protesters who crashed yesterday s meeting line the Walls. Car to rehire 28 native workers settlement ends protest Over railway working conditions by Cecil Rosner Winnipeg free press Clear Lake Canadian National railways has agreed to rehire 28 in Dian and Metis workers for seasonal track jobs ending protests against alleged discrimination and bad working conditions on the railway. Car regional vice president Ralph Hansen said the workers who walked away from an ochre River work gang june 12, would be guaranteed new seasonal jobs somewhere in the prov Ince by monday. They also Are Guaran teed about 10 additional Days on a work gang in the Dauphin area july 15, and Between four and six weeks More work later in the summer. Call off protests spokesmen for the workers said yesterday the proposal was acceptable and called off All future protests against car. In the last week rail Yard occupations and track dismantling have taken place in Dauphin and Cormorant and a total of 23 people have been ordered to appear in court to face charges of trespassing and damaging car property. Hansen flatly refused another major demand by the protesters that the Foreman of the original work gang be suspended or replaced. He said charges that the Foreman racially abused the men were being investigated and sus pending the Man would prejudge the Case. The agreement came during a negotiating session yesterday in which 40 Indian and Metis people marched into the meeting room and announced no one would leave until the matter had been settled. The four car officials present later said they did not consider the action particularly threatening but Felt it was another pressure tactic. Shortly after they arrived the protes delay ters heeded an Appeal from one of the native negotiators and allowed Hansen and a car lawyer to leave the room and make several Telephone Calls related to the discussions. Within an hour an agreement had been reached. See native Page 4 ambulance delay revealed at probe into rocket death by Pamela Fayerman a teenager who died after a Home made rocket exploded and Cut his jugular vein was not taken to Hospital for at least 20 minutes because of difficulties locating an ambulance an inquest was told yesterday. Timothy Sarna 16, died april 16 after a c02 Shell filled with gun powder and match Heads exploded in the backyard of his Cousin s Home at 595 Bannerman Avenue. The inquest was also told the teen Ager was first transported to seven Oaks Hospital but then transferred to health sciences Centre when seven Oaks ran out of his blood Type. The inquest was scheduled to last one Day but because of questions raised by provincial judge Arnold Connor yester Day concerning Winnipeg ambulance service dispatching the inquest is to resume today. The inquiry heard that the first Call received by the 911 dispatcher came from Timothy s Cousin at . But for nine minutes the dispatcher could not find an ambulance available to re Spond to the emergency. Three ambulances normally assigned to the North end were contacted. The first was Busy on Salter Bridge. When the dispatcher made a Call to a second ambulance the attendants were reluctant to respond. A transcript of the radio Call Between the dispatcher and the attendants showed they were at Pete s body shop on Pritchard Avenue having the ambulance serviced. The dispatcher called the ambulance twice and got no response. She then telephoned the body shop. Portions of the dialogue included you Guys shut your portable Well we re calling you can you take a see boy Page 4 by Maureen Brosnahan Manitoba doctors have overwhelmingly ratified a new contract with the province which gives them an Over All increase of 15.5 per cent in fees Over one year retroactive to april 1. The results announced last night showed 87 per cent of 744 doctors who voted favored the tentative agreement reached last week Between the prov Ince and the Manitoba medical association. Ballots were sent to doctors. As a result of the agreement which provided special increases to certain medical specialities about 20 radiologists who opted out of medicare Early last month will opt Back in wednes Day. The radiologists had opted out to protest Low fees which they said did not offset the rising Cost of a Ray film during the last 18 months. Radiologists at the Manitoba a Ray clinic and the radiology consultants of Winnipeg said they will Stop extra Billing patients immediately and will accept the fees recoverable from the Manitoba health services commis Sion As full payment for their ser vices. Number of complaints Mma president and chief negotiator or. Frank Pearson said the increase in radiology fees amounting to 000, was because of the radiologists actions and the number of complaints received by the government from patients about the extra Billing. The Over All 15.5-per-cent increase will mean a general increase to All physicians of slightly less than 13 per cent with additional raises for such specialities As radiology psychiatry ophthalmology obstetrics and gynaecology. Pearson said the settlement was due to the pressure tactics introduced by doctors three weeks ago which saw some doctors close their offices while others agreed to take Only emergency Calls from patients. Both sides had been meeting since Early March when the Mma asked to reopen negotiations for the second year of its two year contract after Manitoba s Cost of living Rose More than 10 per cent last year. Under the original contract doctors were to receive an 8.9 per cent increase this year. The reopening clause had been writ ten into the original contract. 19 air Quality violations recorded Filmon to review Levels by Ritchie Gage Canada Metal co. Ltd. Has exceeded provincial air Quality guidelines for Lead 19 times in the last three months Larry Strachan provincial director of environmental control programs said yesterday. The provincial Agency has been monitoring the Quality of air in the Vicinity of the Lead sheltering Plant at 1221 St. James Street and found that on one occasion there was nine times More Lead in the air than maximum accept Able Levels under the 24-hour health Hazard limit. The Issue will be dealt with monday when environment minister Gary Fil Mon meets with officials of the Environ mental control Branch. Strachan said Canada Metal was tested 227 times at its property line. A May 15 Reading snowed a ratio of 48.1 micrograms of Lead per cubic metre of air. The provincial air Quality Standard is five micrograms of Lead As a 24-hour average. Strachan refused to make Public re sults of tests on the amount of Lead in soil in the Weston area in the Vicinity of three other Lead smelting plants. He said that information would be submit Ted to the minister. Strachan would not comment when asked about possible health hazards Lead Levels in the air present to students attending lord Nelson school 820 Mcphillips Street and Weston school 1410 Logan Avenue. The provincial government five years ago conducted blood tests on 25 per cent of the students at the two West end schools. There were 279 pupils tested at Weston and 415 in lord Nel son. Results of the tests showed 41 per cent of the students had readings near or above the 0.03 milligrams of Lead per 100 Grams of blood. Strachan said that the company has consistently violated air Quality Stan Dards for the last three years. He said he could not comment on whether or not the May 15 emissions constituted a respiratory health Haz Ard. Some of the highest readings taken during May from Canada Metal s prop erty line were Levels of 15.5, and 48.1. In april similar tests showed other readings of and 8.92 out of 72 samples. The three year monitoring program started in 1979 As part of a data gather ing program on the Industry. Strachan released the Lead in air readings for two other smelters Cana Dian Bronze co. Ltd., 15 Bury Street and Northwest smelting which were monitored daily. Canadian Bronze which is closest to two elementary schools and nearby residential area showed no violations in 226 tests. Northwest smelting had six violations in 189 tests. The highest was 9.03 while the others were 6.48, 5.06, 5.45, 6.12 and 6.06. The company was charged feb. 19 by environment Canada under the Federal clean air act with violating Lead in air Levels. Stamp to Honor Fox by Michael Doyle Winnipeg free press Ottawa the Federal govern ment has broken tradition and will Issue a stamp honouring Terry Fox s Marathon of Hope. The announcement yesterday by postmaster general Andre Ouellet came As Fox 22, Lay in new West Minster s Royal columbian Hospital in critical condition. Ouellet said Fox who has raised More than million for cancer is a Folk hero and a great Canadian. He said his courageous attempt to run across Canada was a fantastic contribution to Canadian Unity Canad an identity Canadian Pride and the fight against when Fox was told by his Mother of the decision he smiled and said i like and there was a bit of an emotional scene the Hospital s medi director said. The director or. Ladislav Antonik said Fox remains in critical condition but is Able to talk and joke with his family and Hospital staff. Antonik said Fox has a mild fever and occasionally coughs blood. He said he is not demoralized and is showing surprising resilience. Mor Phine is being used to control his pain. Only last week Ouellet told the commons it was impossible for the government to Issue a stamp in Fox s Honor. International Conven Tion requires Stamps of tribute be struck a minimum 10 years after a person s death unless he is a head of state or Royalty. But shortly after yesterday s Cabi net meeting Quellet said the govern ment had discovered a loophole and would Issue the stamp to Honor Fox and his Marathon of. Hope rather than Fox specifically and therefore will stay within the International convention guidelines Ouellet said. Ouellet s original statement brought thousands of letters and Tele phone Calls to his office the prime minister s office and offices of other maps. Even the Queen was asked to intercede. Toronto Bank manager Roxann Bonelli received a reply letter yesterday from Buckingham Palace saying the Queen cannot get involved. Her majesty has read with Yenour Mous interest of the courageous and inspiring example shown by Terry the letter said. No bother prime minister Trudeau is in Britain today after telling France the appointment of communists to Cabinet does t bother Sweet dreams sugar Ray Leonard is two thirds of the Way to fulfilling his dream of capturing three world championships after stopping Ayub Kalule in the ninth round last newest Dean Brandon s Walter Dinsdale was Given a standing ovation after being named a Dean of the commons for his 30 years As an credit hungry High interest rates Are not curbing people s appetite for Index Ann Landers. 23 answers. 33 autos. 45 Bridge. 24 business.13 classified.31 Cleversey. 7 comics.62 crossword. 24 31 editorials letters.6 entertainment.25 Horoscope. 22 Jumble puzzle.36 klady.25 Millroy on to. 26 movies.27 relax.33 sports. 53 sports record.55 stocks.16 sullivan.33 tempo.21 to listings.33
;