Winnipeg Free Press

Saturday, August 29, 1981

Issue date: Saturday, August 29, 1981
Pages available: 215
Previous edition: Friday, August 28, 1981

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions

Logos

About Winnipeg Free Press

  • Publication name: Winnipeg Free Press
  • Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
  • Pages available: 215
  • Years available: 1872 - 2025
Learn more about this publication

About NewspaperArchive.com

  • 3.12+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to One of the World's Largest Newspaper Archives!

Start your Genealogy Search Now!

OCR Text

Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 29, 1981, Winnipeg, Manitoba Union hold Las minute talks by Milf Frauiger negotiators for supermarket empty Yea and the Safeway and minion chains resumed Las minute contract talks yesterday aimed at strike scheduled to begin in Day of about of 37 grocery Stow Monda just met it it cent tin food meat cutters and Bakem had voted at a meeting in the Winnipeg convention Centre july to to Back for higher salaries with strike action if my new company proposal emerging front the negotiating session will tie voted on during a mass membership meeting of the Union at the convention Centre sunday under the collective bargaining agreement which expired May Cashiers employed by 11 Dominion and 31 Safeway in As Well m two Safeway stores each in Thompson and Brandon and one Safeway store in Dauphin and one in Selkirk earned an Pood clerks made and meat utters and Hak Ere earned the companies have proposed in creases of and an hour for each of two their last negotiating round with the Union ended after it minutes monday with no change in the Union president Bernard Christophe announced then that Lasu minute strike preparations were under Way and would be put into effect after a mass membership meeting at the convention Centre Safeway officials announced earlier this week they will keep All stores open if the woodworkers strike store managers have spent much of the week determining now Many employees Are prepared to Lou Industrial relations age for Safeway in said yesterday he did not knowhow Many people had indicated they intend to work in Case of a Hogan also confirmed that three Manitoba Safeway stores will not be involved in any strike action in pot Tage la where workers have never had Union and in Neepawa arid where the food workers Union was de certified at a majority staff request after the 1978 food and commercial workers which lasted eight Brad District manager for Dominion stores of said yesterday his company Hopes to keep As Many of its stores As possible open in Case of a Armstrong said he wont be Able to announce which stores Are operational until Early earlier this the food workers concluded an agreement with the West fair food Chain which includes shop easy and super value stores throughout the under the the stores Wilt match settlements made with the two big Union and management agreed there would be neither strikes nor lockouts for six explosive Gas from old dump wafts near Kiln Hedi Lewis signs protest petition As Cordova Street neighbors Roberta Kay shores and Ron Patterson look angry taxpayers plan message petition circulated in River Heights to protest trustees pay raise proposal by Tom Goldstein angry River Heights taxpayers Are organizing a protest against Winni Peg school division trustees plan to give themselves a whopping salary a petition is being circulated through the and residents Are being urged to attend the boards 8 meeting to voice their objections to the plan which would see trustees present honorariums increased by 31 per cent As of the beginning of next really angry opponents said yesterday they Are already taxed noting the trustees voted themselves a 10percent in crease last january and a further 10 per cent in i am really angry about really Hedi Lewis of 377 Cordova Street Tell Board chairman Mira Spivak she can take a Lewis began organizing petitions last week after trustees voted to increase their salaries by 31 per effective she erected a sign on her front Lawn urging passersby to phone the school division office by 3 8 and seek to appear before the Board that night to express their you have to take a but it May go through she last the trustees adopted a review committee recommendation that their salaries be increased by 93 per walked at implementing the proposal in one with Spivak saying it might be too much at the Board voted 5 to 3 earlier this month to raise salaries by 31 per cent until the end of the proposal has been Given first with Sec Ond Reading expected tuesday and final approval a week after if that approval and similar increases Are adopted in 1982 and trustees salaries will have nearly Dou bled from the current to its surprising How Many people Are really mad about Lewis adding about 400 people have already signed i dont think anyone minds a Roberta Oddleifson of 375 Cordova but not this hefty Lewis said she has nothing personal against the current school Board Mem nor does she have any political aspirations of her but she questions the rationale that higher salaries will attract better does that mean the calibre is Low now As she objected to trustees voting themselves raises in i feel they took that Job As a Public service they wanted to she they knew what the salaries successful or Lewis said she hoped the organized opposition would provide a warning to other elected officials wanting to give themselves pay she said a similar drive has begun in the seven Oaks school division where some taxpayers fear a Domino effect might follow the Winnipeg school trustees a review of Winnipeg City Council lors salaries will begin shortly by by Justice Gordon Hall of the Manitoba court of councillors have been receiving seven percent increases annually for the past three and now earn minimum wage to increase 20 cents an hour tuesday i i t i Manitoba minimum wage will go up by 20 cents next tuesday to for adult employees the second part of a two stage increase announced ear Lier this labor minister Ken Macmaster said on March the minimum wage increased to an hour from for adult Manitoba minimum wage after next weeks boost will be sixth highest in the behind the Brit ish Quebec and Sas for workers under 18 the minimum hourly wage will increase by 20 cents to an in the first stage of the increase on March the wage for under 18 year Olds went to from the wage for persons serving Alco Holic beverages will also go up by 20 cents to an hour next the increases Stem from recommendations made by the minimum wage Board reflecting higher changes in the Industrial composite average weekly minimum wages in other jurisdictions and general economic Macmaster by Joe Rubin a Boniface construction company located on a previously unknown land fill site has asked the City to accept responsibility for damage to people or property in the event of a methane Gas John president of Kildonan Concrete products said yesterday concentrations of the Gas on his land have been As High As 38 per cent methane in highly explosive civic works and operations commissioner Bill Finnbogason has said con Cern is usually raised when Gas concentrations at Landfill Sites reach one per cent methane in Ruhr major concern is that Kildonan concretes open fire Kiln will touch off the methane on the meth Ane is highly explosive when mixed with air in concentrations of five to 15 per cent by volume and exposed to a spark or open the which can be heated to about is useful to reduce Clay to a grave like material for bricks and Ruhr estimates the Kiln is about 91 metres from the buried ref Ruhr Hast used the Kiln All summer but wants to Start it up again at the end of but now that that darn methane is i wonder what i should he id hate to put my people to work under these Kildonan Concrete is located at panel and Warman just outside what was once the Boniface Landfill Ruhr bought the land 16 years unaware that part of his property was also used As a when we bought this there was no talk of methane at he i dont think the City knew about the methane Ruhr said he became concerned last March when excavations on an adjacent property uncovered buried part of that property is currently under and fat methane bub Bles can be seen percolating to Ruhr hired a consultant to see How far the buried refuse extended beneath his refuse material ranging in thickness from 3 to metres was found in a number of test the material consisted of animal tin scrap Metal and an Oil saturated Clay Materi als methane concentrations at these holes ranged from to 38 per cent of Gas by volume in the consultants report said the test ing indicated the presence of a shallow refuse ditch under Kildonan containing about cubic metres of the refuse is malodorous and prod uces Landfill Gas As organic matter in the refuse the report adding that the site is about 24 years old since newspapers dated 1957 were found when the adjacent property was Ruhr wrote to the City solicitor last month asking for an Assurance that the City would accept responsibility in the event of an he has yet to receive a Nestor the City lawyer handling the said yesterday he intends to discuss the Issue with Ruhr inspectors from the cites Landfill environmental Section tested buildings on the property for Gas and found no cause for the Fellows that were out Here assured us there is no Chance of an explosion but they wont put that in said methane seepage Landfill environmental Section head Tony Kuluk said he will carry out More extensive tests at Kildonan Concrete once Ruhr gives him permission to do because the Kiln is separated from the methane Kuluk said he Doest think there is a Chance of an Kildonan Concrete is the Only Busi Ness left near the site of the former Boniface methane seepage into buildings has forced the City to buy seven including the Boniface school Board garage which is due to be vacated signs warning against the us of cigarettes and open flames Are posted on the boarded up buildings which Are used by the City for cold policewoman tags soliciting Johns in new crackdown by Murray Mcneil an undercover policewoman walked the main Street strip this week and tagged close to a dozen men for soliciting a female for the purpose of vice Clark Peckover said the who Are from All parts of wont be formally charged until some time next but have been Given notices to appear in court at later he said their names wont be released until charges have been Laid Peckover said the crackdown was launched after his department received numerous complaints from citizens about the number of prostitutes work ing the streets in the he noted that other Canadian cities such As Toronto and have been making life Tough for prostitutes in recent in for police have have been using a similar approach to the one being tried with the police aiming its crackdown at in an anti loitering bylaw was passed recently to prevent prostitutes from gathering on Street Cor probably because of the pressure being put on in other weve had a tremendous increase in complaints about prostitutes in Peck Over in their Effort to nip a potential problem in the police decided to launch their new he Peckover said they Are zeroing in on would be customers in the we usually went after the but we found that want he that it is usually the custom ers who initiate a Mason with a so its difficult to prove a soliciting Case against the so we decided to give a go at the the arrests earlier this week Mark the first time Winnipeg police have charged customers with soliciting for Peckover he refused to release further details about the undercover say we May do it again in the next week or but he stressed that the policewoman didst Wear anything suggestive or approach the she merely walked along the he said she worked in the general main Street and went out tuesday and Grackles dropping in on South Dale by Ron Campbell its not just a Spruce Street problem any More the Grackles have invaded for the second summer in a Row they have come by the thousands to Perch on to roofs and any other outdoor Structure where they can line up in a you take your life in your hands going out said a Clear water Road resident who didst want her name you cant go out into your Garden without getting you carry an umbrella to your car if its in the she they Are almost first you Marvel at then you she said the Grackles invaded about two weeks just As they did last and congregate in the South Dale lakes area on parts of Clear and Lake Park about 10 houses Are affected by the she they seem to come in the evening around 4 and stay til about dusk they line up on to aerials Feather to Feather there so tightly packed its almost when i get Home from work its usually around and 1 have to sit in my car and then make a run for the car is just covered with Grackle she even the joggers Are you see them go to a certain then they turn they just dont want to get the Birds themselves will sit on a Perch until one flies then they All a Clearwater Road resident since the woman said the Birds have been a problem in the area for Only two if they like maybe we could import if they dont like we should shoot City Parks and recreation director Martin who lives in South said Hes aware of the Grackle problem but Many More Are inhabiting the North and South drives District of fort the Grackle population has been building for the past three years and will Likely get worse Over the next he but not much can be done about he said the population will increase until a virus comes along that begins wiping them out in the whole Blackbird to which the Grackles a close knit flocking together and returning to the places they were hatched or where food was Benum they usually leave the ciry when harvesting begins in the in surprised they Haven left by they seem to have left Spruce which was infested with hundreds of them in Early Joan of 1108 said they moved South of Ellice Avenue when the fire department hosed the Trees several weeks James free press graces line up Feather to feather1 on to Antenna ;