Winnipeg Free Press

Tuesday, September 22, 1981

Issue date: Tuesday, September 22, 1981
Pages available: 100

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions

Logos

About Winnipeg Free Press

  • Publication name: Winnipeg Free Press
  • Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
  • Pages available: 100
  • Years available: 1872 - 2025
Learn more about this publication

About NewspaperArchive.com

  • 3.12+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to One of the World's Largest Newspaper Archives!

Start your Genealogy Search Now!

OCR Text

Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - September 22, 1981, Winnipeg, Manitoba Ays goal to overcome inflation free pfe9s 1981 s although the United Way is feeling the Pinch of its 1981 Campaign chairman Hopes Winnipeg companies and individuals will recognize the prob Lem and respond with More we have Confidence in the people of and the that they will understand the costs for the agencies Weed Ranft said Ranft said the United ways goal has been increased this year by or Berry free press per Over last years total to Ranft said the Campaign is farther ahead than last years Campaign was at this we have just a first rate team of volunteers working for the Campaign he almost million has been pledged most of this was collected from the business but about has been pledged by Winnipeg has the second highest ratio of donations per capita in said that says something for the people of he although individuals and businesses will be feeling the1 effects of Ranft still expects them to give Gen this year because of economic conditions we reached out and these Are our Basic needs Early indications Are that major companies and individuals have key volunteers Are Gus Leach major John Green Large Ted Law medium and Small Bill Mcgowan Bob Beaudin Public service and Gabe Forest individuals and these volunteers Are leading Soo other volunteers and canvassers in Winnipeg police officers escort double murder suspect Dennis Bunn to trial yesterday in the provincial Law courts victims wounds detailed in trial pathologist describes women injuries in Pritchard Avenue deaths by Steve Pona one of two women found dead in a Pritchard Avenue House last december suffered wounds consistent with having been repeatedly stabbed in the Back and a court of Queens Bench jury was told Hallgrimur a for Mer Winnipeg testified he examined the body of 27yearold Ida kitchens on 13 and found five one of which went through her heart and punctured a the whose evidence was read to the jury during Dennis Clifford bunns trial on two murder said he also examined the body of Phyllis which was found in another room of the same he said she had a deep Bruise on her neck and a broken Bone in her injuries consistent with the bodies were discovered in a three room House at 625 Pritchard ave nue on the morning of 13 Kee sick in a kitchens on the living room Benediktsson estimated the women had been dead for about 18 to 20 hours and probably died Between and the previous was arraigned on the two second degree murder charges earlier yesterday and has pleaded not guilty to in his opening Crown counsel Brian Kaplan told the jury he expects to tender evidence showing that Bunn and the two women took a cab from a main Street hotel to Kee Sicks Pritchard Avenue Home at about 6 on neither Kresick or kitchens were seen alive Kaplan adding that Kresick was strangled to death and kitchens repeatedly both women died within a Short time of each he Kaplan told the jury he expects the evidence to show that before Bunn left the he dropped his calling a Wallet containing ident Ifica the Wallet was discovered by police under a bedroom he Bunn was arrested on an unrelated charge after a disruption at a friends Home on Spence Street on 13 and was lodged at the Public safety build Kaplan said after the police found the two dead women and the they seized the accused his shirt and jeans All had blood the Crown counsel Benediktsson testified some of kit cheeses injuries were consistent with Stab wounds caused by a Sharp instr such As a he said he believed the wounds to her neck were the first to followed by wound to her heart and she then suffered a wound to her Likely after her heart had stopped beat City police Bernard Wilgosh of the identification Section testified he found kit Henses body lying on the living room floor in a Pool of blood with what appeared to be blood splattered on the Wall beside Wilgosh said there were footprints on the Kitchen apparently made with stocking feet that had been soaked in what also appeared to be the trial continues before Justice Ben provincial lottery ministers Cool off provincial lottery ministers have cooled off after their initial indignation with the Federal governments pro posed sports betting Manitoba fitness and sport minister Bob ban Man said Banman said the ministers have tactically agreed it May be Best to let Ottawa make the next when Federal sport minister Gerald Regan announced last week he planned to establish a new betting the provinces responded by claiming he would violate the spirit of a 1979 agree changes unveiled in compensation ment in which the Joe Clark administration handed Over the responsibilities for lotteries to the provincial govern Ontario threatened to withhold its quarterly lottery payments to the fed eral government and Quebec said it would establish its own sports Gam bling Banman said yesterday it appeared the Federal government was hoping the provinces would withhold their next lottery due Jerry free press so it could claim had broken the 1979 i think he Regan would be very Happy if we withheld said Banman said he has talked with representatives of the four Western but not the the minister said he Felt there was no need for rash there will be plenty of time to complain because the criminal code has to be amended to permit the establishment of the sports by Greg Bannister the Manitoba workers compensation Board will open a 24hour information Telephone line to assist workers and the new service was one of several changes to the boards operations announced yesterday by labor minis Ter Ken the changes Stem from the july 15 recommendations of a review headed by University of Manitoba professor Walter noninterference speaking to delegates at the Manitoba federation of labors annual meeting at the convention also repeated his stand of non interference in the current strike of steel workers at Inco metals in As Well As the 24hour phone line to the compensation changes in the compensation system announced by Macmaster include u additional trained in psychology and social to work on vocational rehabilitation of injured work d an information Campaign to inform workers of their rights and to explain the boards function and procedures in processing d More extensive reasons for Board decisions on contested d expansion of the boards out reach Hospital visitation currently operated Only in to include All major Manitoba Macmaster also said the Board will define in the to avoid the Type of duties a worker May under take when he is discharged from compensation for Light the minister told reporters that further changes to the compensation process will be announced in the coming he said most of the Lampe committees recommendations will be implemented the committees 273page report said the government should boost rehabilitation services to injured workers and expand compensation coverage to other including farm it also urged establishment of compensation committees at work More compensation offices outside appointment of a ministerial advisory Board and the hiring of a doctor to assist Mil president Dick Martin was generally pleased with the moves announced by but said the federation believes there Are still Many things wrong with the compensation process in he said the federation would like to see the abolition of the medical review a body which guides the Board on Complex medical Martin said the Mil opposes the panel be cause it operates under an adversary system which labor feels is inappropriate in matters of Martin also said the Mil wants the government to hire full time Legal and medical advocates to help workers prepare compensation Sanders bid for seat raises conflict Issue by Ingeborg Buyens and Mary Ann Fitzgerald the decision of David Assis Tant Deputy minister of municipal of to seek an nip nomination while remaining at his Post As an adviser to the conservative government May amount to a conflict of Urban affairs minister Gerry Mercier said obviously he is subject if not a then a perceived conflict of inter est in the performance of his duties As a senior adviser to Mercier extremely difficult it really seems it would be extremely difficult for any person in such a sensitive position As an assistant Deputy minister to be Able to function for the minister when he is a declared Candi Date for an opposition Mercier he said not had time to con Sider his Sanders responsibilities within the a career civil servant who announced yesterday he will contest the River Heights nomination for the new says he sees no con i have worked As a civil servant for a Long time and feel i can perform my Job As assistant Deputy he Manitoba civil service act Grants All government with the exception of Deputy the right to run for Public under the passed by the former nip Sanders would take a leave of absence Only during the 35day election Campaign if he wins the the Law provides for a five year leave of absence for a successful Candi an unsuccessful candidate can return to his civil service position after the an assistant Deputy minister is classified As a civil service Sanders notified municipal affairs minister Doug Gourlay and Mercier last week of his intention to seek the nip Gourlay said while Sanders is paid by his his main duties Are involved with the City of Winnipeg which Falls under Urban position int unique Sanders said his position int he pointed out that Myrna an employee of the provincial women is also running for the nip in Gourlay also was working As an agricultural representative when he sought election in the year the conservatives ousted the nip govern ment of de Sanders joined the conservative government in 1968 As an executive Assis he has worked under conservative leaders Walter Weir and Sterling Lyon and schreyers nip his postings have included Deputy minister of Urban coordinator of Provin Cial advisers on the Canadian Constitution and chairman of the joint Liason committee for the Winnipeg Core area Sanders said his decision was prompted by my desire to pursue my commitment to the Best Public administration for i think this is the Best Way i can i will be explaining my reasons in due he but he added he hoped the nip will form the next if Sanders wins the 28 nip he will be up against tory la Warren Liberal candidate Jay Prober and progressive incumbent Bud his wife and their four Chil Dren live within the Ridings Boun Schulman wants nod from pcs Perry chairman of the Manitoba police said yesterday he is seeking the progressive conservative nomination in the Provin Cial constituency of fort who has also served As president of the Manitoba Law said he feels his 18 years experience As a lawyer and service on the police commission and Law society can offer the residents of the constituency Good the fort Rouge conservative nominating meeting is scheduled for Satur Roland Penner is the nip Candi Date in the Riding and june Westbury the Liberal Schulman said he would have to reassess his position As head of the government appointed police commis Sion if he wins the but he said he did not see an immediate Neces sity for resigning from the be cause there Are currently no cases pending before attorney general Gerry Mercier said there is absolutely no conflict in Schulmann decision to contest the nomination while still continuing As police commission chair i think if he were he would probably Mercier Mil convention timetable revised in bid to Cut costs pick Martin says dropping convention will save Mil by Greg Bannister the Manitoba federation of in a cos cutting voted yesterday to hold conventions every two years in Stead of the one of the More hotly contested items to be debated at this years fou Day should save the federation about a said Mil president Dick opposition to the move was voiced by numerous delegates and Martins ruling that two thirds of the delegates had supported in a show of was the debate split the convention temporarily As most of the provinces larger and More powerful unions Jock eyed to one Side or the Canadian Union of Public employ local president de Blackman demanded that Martin take another he and other cupe delegates opposed scrapping the annual saying it would cause the Mil executive to lose touch with its members and would deprive younger Union members of a Chance to learn about the Union several members of the United steel workers of Thompson also spoke out against the steel worker Delegate Ken Kerr said conventions Are the Basic tool of the labor movement and should be held As often As possible to keep Union members speaking in favor of the motion were the Manitoba government employees association and the Manitoba division of the United food and com Mercial workers Mega president Gary doer said the move was not a step away from the grassroots spirit of he said the number of convention resolutions passed every year is growing so fast that the Mil executive cant act on All of them before the next annual a few president Bernard Christophe said holding conventions every two years would allow smaller Northern locals to Send full which they cant afford to do they would also be Able to attend other Mil ses such As health and safety Confer the Challenge to Martins ruling on the two thirds vote required to make the change in the mfrs Constitution resulted in a second show of hands on the when this appeared Blackman called for a recorded the delegates then narrowly approved the move by a vote of 274 to Martin also stressed that the Mil Constitution contains provisions for an emergency convention to be called if one is needed before i ;