Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - November 26, 1981, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Noceo cd Winnipeg free november 1981 3 by David Obrien a Winnipeg police officer will Appeal a county court ruling that he used excessive Force when he shot and wounded a Man during a outside a main Street hotel in Don lawyer for Wil Liam said yesterday he will seek to overturn the decision because it was wrong and contrary to the Evi 1 f p pm Rax Winnipeg free novem finer plans to Appeal ruling on shooting Thoa i Al Tatt Raro judge Jewers ruled last week that Bell carried out an unjustified assault when he fired a Bullet which struck David Mark Organ in the right Chest and he ordered the officer to pay Organ in during the incident out Side the Occidental Bell also shot and killed Karol Franklin sob now a religious studies was sentenced to six months in jail in 1979 after he was convicted of Cabinet clerk first casualty in transition career civil servant Derek Bedson will no longer serve As clerk of the executive Saul chairman of the transition committee for the incoming nip said Cherniack said will not continue to sit in on Cabinet he said this was a Mutual decision made by him and be sons position appears to be in limbo since Cherniack insisted he has not has not been asked to resign and has not been fired by the incoming we Are now discussing with him what his future will Cherniack a Cabinet order terminating the jobs of 26 special and executive Assis Tants was signed by Premier Sterling United Way gives out million the United Way of Winnipeg Board of directors yesterday approved Grants totalling More than million for 46 Grants totalling will go to 44 participating agencies to fund their 1982 operating the United Way funds 61 Del United Way Community relations said the Board also approved a 1981 Grant of for the Canadian mental health Asso and a onetime special Grant of to the Young women Chris Tian association to pay off a 1980 deficit in its operation of Osborne the United Way also guaranteed that the Christmas cheer Board will have at least this in an inter Sexsmith explained that the Agency will pick up any shortfall in donations to the cheer up to the last year the cheer Board raised its full quota of donations and received nothing from United in other the Board voted to allow the Winnipeg Myca to carry out its own Campaign aimed at raising for a Camp and to let the multiple sclerosis society of Cana Das Winnipeg division apply to the Manitoba lotteries and gaming licensing Board for a licence to conduct a Casino in Sexsmith said the Board also voted to Grant the fort Garry family life information big Sisters and pregnancy distress service Perma nent status As participating United Way new agencies Are funded for three years and evaluated before becoming regular he Lyon during a final meeting of the conservative Cabinet the still to be confirmed by Premier elect Howard Pawley and Pearl was the Only piece of business handled during the two hour Cherniack said there May be a Posi Tion in the civil service for Bedson or he May decide to he described their discussions As amicable and said be sons Long tenure As a Public servant would be a civil servant for 23 said his resignation from the govern ments top Post was not demanded by the new nip but it is understood that i will be moving Bedson refused to comment further other than to say he May be offered a different civil service Bedson joined the Duff Roblin government in 1958 As Cabinet clerk and has survived four different admin including the Schreyer nip governments two but whose government is sworn in next said yesterday he is not convinced that Bedson is politically Cherniack insisted the transition from a conservative to an nip administration would be free of trauma for most civil no bloodletting there is no bloodletting in he its very different than it was in after the 1977 Lyon fired three Deputy ministers before he was sworn into the transition committee chairman said his office has already received some of the informational briefs re Quested of Deputy he said the new government int planning any immediate drastic changes in government departments even though it Hopes to Cut the size of Cabinet by at least three the departments of health and Community for wont be he nor is the new administration planning to introduce a planning secretariat of the Type that served former premiered Cherniack said the new government intends to take its time implementing its Campaign saying that proper preparation is necessary to ensure the programs he moving and packing activity has been going on at a fever pitch since the 17 election in which the nip won a 34seat Majori packing boxes litter the deepest pile rugs and even Las Are on their hands and Knees reclaiming personal nip and tory members will change offices and caucus rooms on monday after Pawley announces his government employees will Likely be at work Over the weekend finishing renovations and cleaning Appeal court finds criminal code not guilty of sex Bias the Manitoba court of Appeal has overturned an earlier ruling which in validated a criminal code Section making it an offence for men to indecently assault other in a judgment delivered on behalf of the court Justice Joseph Osullivan ruled that while the punishment for men accused of Homo sexual assaults is indeed harsher than the provision for heterosexual and Les Bian according to the age old traditions of Judae Christian to the types of indecent assault Are quite defence lawyer Michael Skremetta had asked the court to uphold a july decision by court of Queens Bench Justice Scott Wright that the discrepancy in penalty was a violation of the Canadian Bill of said judge Osullivan the Funda mental basis of the submission of Skremetta is that Section 156 and Section 149 of the criminal code prohibit the same kind of conduct he says it is discriminatory to punish a Man More harshly than a woman for precisely the same kind of the distinction drawn by the code is not As to persons but As to Type of activities the distinction is entirely based on the Type of sexual conduct involved in the the criminal code specifies a Maxi mum sentence of 10 years for any Man convicted of assaulting another person with intent to commit buggery or indecently assaulting another male but indecent assaults on women carry Only a five year maximum so Remeikas client is charged with six counts of indecent sure Metka said he has recommended his client apply for leave to Appeal the Appeal courts ruling to the supreme court of assaulting he subsequently launched a civil suit against the former police chief Norm Stewart and the Primeau yesterday claimed press coverage of the civil trial and subsequent stories about the incident have been biased and one he said Bell has been a victim of a total character assassination which has seriously affected his personal and family in an interview with the free press last said he had to fight to get police documents for his defence and accused the police of trying to cover up the Primeau said the accusations were without he noted the Inci Dent was investigated by 40 police officers and their report totalled 146 pages along with 43 pages of witness a of these reports were Given to organs counsel and to the solicitor for the Sobkowicz which also sought damages against Bell and his Tom he Organ testified during the six Day civil trial that he and Sobkowicz had been drinking in two hotels arid were returning to their car when they walked past a White car with two men he said the passenger in the car yelled an obscenity at but they continued to their parked behind the other while waiting for their car to warm Organ the other car backed up and blocked their Sobkowicz then gave Organ a Metal got out and walked toward the other Organ he said he followed when he saw Sobkowicz being tackled and swung at Bell with the Metal bar and grazed the top of the plainclothes officers Bell was stabbed by Sobkowicz Dur ing the fight before he shot and killed Sobkowicz and wounded Wayne free press preschool practice at slip sliding Duvie takes a crack at ice skating yesterday during a preschoolers skating class at the Winnipeg Winter club on River Duvie checks to see that All systems Are go sets off for a then finds something to hang onto and rest a while Hong Kong vets will get parasite test by Joe Rubin the Federal department of veterans affairs will begin testing Hong Kong War veterans in about two months to determine whether they Are carrying a tropical parasite contracted 40 years William veterans affairs program medical said Hong Kong veterans will be told by letter that provincial labs will be test ing for the Strongylos Diasis the Federal government will pay the there Are 963 Hong Kong veterans in 222 of whom live in an additional 36 Canadian veterans live in the Robertson said in an interview from his Charlottetown office yesterday that veterans May have contracted the intestinal parasite in japanese prisoner of War Camps during the second world some May still show signs of an infection caused by the Strong Loides Ste Coralis Para although marked by stomach dior an inability to gain weight and skin Strongylos Diasis is not a serious Robertson the doctor said veterans will Likely be asked to Volunteer a Stool Sample to see if it contains the blood tests May be conducted first to deter mine if a Veteran has been exposed to the parasite before the Stool is Exa Strongylos Diasis is a common parasitic infection in moist tropical areas such As Southeast until it was virtually unknown in Canada because of the country Cli mate and although it has been noticed in Southeast asian Immi Robertson said Strongylos Diasis can Only be transmitted if a person comes in Contact with infected the Ca Nadian Standard of Hygiene makes it extremely unlikely for any Canadian to transmit it to a member of his he a drug called introduced less than a decade can eradicate the Robertson said the drug is taken orally for two or three a patient May need to have his Stool Analysed after three treatment will be available from the veterans affairs District office or the veterans family Robertson said Hong Kong veterans were not suspected to have Strongylos Diasis until an australian doctor Exa mined the Stool of prisoners of War from Southeast Asia now living in Perth and found that 27 per cent were the australian veterans association then made arrangements to treat the the Hong Kong veterans association of Canada has been press ing the veterans affairs department to Institute a similar testing and treat ment officials in the United kingdom and Are also currently examining vet Erans with the the problem is especially acute in the since it is endemic to parts of Louisianna and has been detected in Vietnam War Veter jury acquits a convict who boasted of robbery by Steve Pona an a convict who boasted about being a Bank robber and of holding up a Portage Avenue Bank less than a month after he was released from jail was found not guilty yesterday of Rob an Fourman Assize court jury deliberated an hour and 20 minutes before finding Michael Reyn not guilty of the june 15 armed robbery of the Bank of Nova 485 Portage a Man armed with a handgun con fronted a Teller in the Bank at and made off with about in court was Reynolds was alleged to have driven the getaway Reynolds was arrested the following Day and charged with the offence after Brenda Andre told police the accused had boasted that he and a Friend robbed the and that they robbed Banks for a testifying in his own Howe Reynolds told the jury he had concocted the and it want it was the kind of stuff i say when in he i didst want her to think i worked for an hour digging who has a criminal record largely made up of assaults and prop erty claimed he had been drinking at the Clarendon 311 Portage at the time of the and knew nothing about in his closing defence counsel Richard Wolson argued it would be a travesty to convict the accused on the basis of his Drunken since there was no other Evi Dence to support a guilty Wolson said his client was Down and out and and had attempted to impress both the woman and himself with his he was trying to make himself something he Wolson told the he wanted to be important for at least one night in his and now was sorry he had run off at the a 26yearold Mother of two told the court she spotted a wad of about in Reynolds the accused testified he was Given the Cash by a a the also faces Rob Bery but was found unfit to stand trial Midway through his preliminary Crown counsel Bruce Miller said the charges against him Are Reynolds remains in custody on an unrelated
;