Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 25, 1983, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Cd Winnipeg free August 3 finn to report on Odo ridding plan mortgage dealers by Hod Edwards the clean environment commission has Given Manitoba sugar until 1 to get the smell out of More the Ifni was told to report by that Date on How it intends to fid parts of South Winnipeg of foul doors emanating from a sugar beet refinery at Mervo this stall was planned Well before this complained Man Michael who told the commission yesterday customers at his port Garry supper club Are often turned off by putrid doors fro the company waste disposal Brousseau was one of More than 150 people who demonstrated their objections to the smell before the three member commission at Public hear Ings tuesday and me accused the sugar company of being a poor corporate citizen and insensitive to Public the company requested adjourn ment of the hearings to give it time to reply to recommendations on its future operation made by the provincial environmental control services among the recommendations was one that would have ordered the com Pany to begin this Winter to remove ill smelling matter that is left Over from the processing of sugar residents of port Garry have been particularly vocal about the smells which have been worse than usual this year because of the a petition signed by 360 residents of port Garry was filed with the commis Sion Cyril counsel for the com said the delay also will provide impossible to Tell where truth prosecutor says by Kevin Prokosh although hostile witnesses Cost the Crown a murder Case the prosecution is virtually powerless to combat reluctant we dont know what More we could have senior Crown attorney Wayne Moshkowsky said we cant torture or beat a murder charge was dismissed against Joseph Richard Laquette tuesday at the end of a today prelim Inary hearing after Crown witnesses changed or forgot their two witnesses had earlier refused to Bende tin stocks sold despite risk i remaining stocks of the morning sickness drug Bende tin Are being sold locally and across despite warnings in two recent studies that it can Lead to possible birth de the drugs Merrell Dow pharmaceuticals voluntarily halted production of Bende tin june 9 because of the Large number of Law suits it was the company denied any risk to women or their children in taking the Federal health department spokes Man Jean Sattar said in an interview yesterday the Canadian government int Overly concerned about the prescription drug and will allow stores to sell any remaining the government is doing the she weve investigated Bende tin very thoroughly and found no Sattar said from her Ottawa we were never Able to find a significantly higher incidence of birth de the drug package already contains warnings about possible effects of Tak ing the Sattar the two federally financed studies reported increased rates of a stomach pyloric among infants whose mothers took the food and drug administration is alerting doctors to the studies through its publication drug bulletin which also noted that a third study found no link Between the drug and birth Bernard head of the obstetrics unit at the health sciences said yesterday doctors have been notified of the halt in production by the he said the drug was used quite extensively in the Binns said he knew of no major complaints in Winnipeg regarding the use of one of the Side effects of taking it can be but this is common with anything contain ing he neither Binns nor Sattar knew if any of the lawsuits against the manufacturer originated in be sworn to Tell the truth and were even when they agreed to be interviewed by the he found their evidence was charged with Sec on degree murder in the stabbing death of his girlfriends nor Man the was knifed during a party in the backyard of his Charles walk Home May when the Case concluded we were left with contradictory and untrustworthy testimony from people who simply dont seemed concerned with Justice or the Fate of a dead Moshkowsky it was impossible to Tell where the truth the Crown believed it had a Good Case against Laquette based on state ments made by eight or nine witnesses who were at the stabbing but the prosecution get the witnesses who were relatives of either the accused or the deceased to repeat their previous based on the the Crown did not even ask provincial court judge Arnold con Ner to commit Laquette to trial and the judge dismissed the its unsafe to Send anyone to jail on the strength of the Type of evidence these witnesses mesh Kowsky we Are dealing Here with people from what court of a peal Justice Joseph Osullivan once called the margins of civilized so oaths and Trust have Little meaning to these he can you imagine people refusing to Tell the truth often the Crown can circumvent hos tile witnesses with physical evidence and but in the Chartrand Case there were Only Moshkowsky when they altered their evidence the crowns Case col thank god this Doest happen very he Ive Only seen it happen once in my 10 in that Case two men were acquitted of murder in the handcuff drowning of Thomas Robert West in a key Crown witness who had told police in her signed statement she had watched one of the accused murderers push the victim into the Assiniboine River later testified she could neither recall the incident nor telling police about the Chartrand murder file will re main but no further investigations Are planned by the it leaves me with a file that if we dont get fresh evidence i dont think we will proceed on the matter any acting crime Des Depourcq simply because people try to obstruct Justice it Doest mean the Mur Der never it just Means we successfully prosecute the Laquette was not released after the dismissal of the murder at the time Chartrand was Laquette was on parole it was revoked when the charge was in when he was 17 years he and two other teenagers were convicted of raping a 25yearold he was sentenced to 10 years in new program Aims to create jobs the provincial government Hopes to create at least new jobs under a Winter employment program announced yesterday by labor minis Ter Mary Beth the known As the Manitoba employment action will run from 31 to March it is designed to encourage private sector Farmers and non profit agencies to create new jobs for Manitoba unemployed by offering government wage for registered businesses and the government will pay 50 per cent of a new employees hourly wage to a maximum of an nonprofit and Community Organiza including school universities and Indian band councils and service and Charita ble will receive up to a i both categories of employer also will i be eligible for a Benefit allowance of up i to 10 per cent of the wage time to see whether the Federal govern ment will help financially or otherwise in alleviating the Federal transport minister Lloyd Liberal member for Peg told the commission he would try to secure help from Ottawa if a solution is Complex and the main problem occurs in summer when sugar production waste is poured into huge lagoons for the waste cannot be handled in the City sewage mixed with Calls for Strong action against the company were some urging caution in Case an unseasoned decision led to the demise of the local Indus Dale chief of the land utilization Branch of the agriculture said the Plant provides a Market for 450 Farmers who produce about tonnes tons of sugar beets a a fort Garry resident who says he Doest find the Plant odor said the sugar beet Market puts million a year into Farmers millions More Are paid to labourers who work in the employees of the Plant and those in industries dependent on Kenneth an environmental offi cer in the air pollution control said recommendations to the commis Sion would require the company to ship the production wastes Back to the coun try instead of storing them onsite for he said later the firm could find Many including covering the lagoons and using solar heat to dry them or trapping the methane Gas and using it to heat the to face new Laws Mph Mhz the provincial government has drawn up draft legislation aimed at providing greater Protection to persons who invest their savings in Mort the proposed mortgage dealers expected to be introduced at the next session of the would in clude tighter controls Over How dealers handle investors mortgages and More stringent requirements for keeping investors informed of How their Money is being consumer affairs minister John Buck Laschuk said yesterday that dealers will be for exam to Deposit All mortgage invest ment Money in a special Trust account and must confirm in a written agreement with the investor the Pur pose for which the Money is before a dealer could withdraw Money from the Trust account arid Purchase a mortgage for the invest he must provide the investor with written details of the after the Money has been with drawn from Trust and a mortgage has been purchased for an the investor must again be informed As to the details of the Buck Laschuk where mortgages Are not trans feed into the investors they can be registered in the dealers name Only upon his receiving writ ten authorization from the and upon providing other As dealers will have to be bonded and meet minimum capital Buck Laschuk said a number of events in recent including the Winnipeg mortgage Exchange fraud Case and the growing practice of syndicating Mort have brought Home the need for the details of the draft legislation Are being released in order to give the Public and interested organizations time to review the act and make their views known to the Manitoba Securi ties commission by the commission will review All sub missions it receives and recommend to the government How the draft could be changed or the minister a final draft will then be drawn up and presented to the legislature at the next copies of the draft legislation Are available from tray of the mortgage brokers and mortgage dealers act 9442558 or by writing to the Manitoba Securi ties 1128405 r3c Dave free press Dolin said employers must provide each new employee with Between 30 and 40 hours of work per or 300 to 800 hours Over the course of the 20week she said the Winter employment pro Gram is modelled after a temporary employment program of the same name in effect earlier this As of 350 to 400 of about persons hired under the first map program were Given full time she i think that a very Good retention she opposition labor critic Gerry Mer Cier Norbert said later that although any program that provides some help at providing jobs is the Type of employment being created by map and other similar programs in primarily of a make Treyve got to look at the Long term and the permanent jobs that Arent being created by the private Sec Mercier care Home owner Archie Martinson stands outside his empty since social workers removed the care Home closing shocks owners by Manfred Jager the Manitoba government has moved to close a residential care Centre for senior citizens without telling its owners Why the action was the Annes Golden age located at 561 Annes Road and owned by Archie and Myra mar had 12 guests at the beginning of the by Early yesterday 10 had been transferred to hospitals and Nurs ing Homes and two had returned to their one with an Assurance of substantial Home care service from a City the action was taken by provincial department Community services and corrections social workers who started obtaining family permissions tuesday to move the 12 said that when he called Ludwick director of the departments residential standards and licensing Gorski told him the official shutdown Date was but refused to elaborate he said id be getting a registered letter telling me Why the government was shutting me once j have i have 10 Days to j tried to find out what the letter but was told to so now i know i guess in bankrupt that what it Martinson says his wife and three employees have lost their departmental minister Len Evans said his standards and licensing Branch decided to take immediate closing action following a recent com it was from a previous employee of the residence and substantiated All our it was at that Point that my officials decided to move a Little More quickly than i had a memo on the matter on my desk this morn he Martinson bought the residential care Home for six years the single Storey building just South of Bishop Grandin Boulevard is 16 years old and has a capacity for 20 residents at Annes Golden age Lodge paid a month for semiprivate accommodation and Board and the charge for private rooms was a for we offer three meals and a snack at daily room a change of bed sheets every week or More frequently if supervised dispensing of medications and so on and so he Evans said the government has tried for some considerable time to get Martinson to upgrade his care Home to meet provincial standards for such but without the facility has never been licensed by my but attempts were underway to see if upgrading and licensing would be Evans the people in the residential Stan Dards and licensing Branch came to the conclusion that acceptable standards just be so they moved and placed the 12 residents in other Evans said he was informed by his officials that Martinson had been Given until july to upgrade both care Stan Dards and physical but failed to do i understand there was inadequate and insufficient staffing at Annes Golden age that inappropriate care and treatment were provided and that the physical facilities left much to be he Evans said he understands from his standards and licensing officials that there Are about six More private residential care Homes in the City which cause the government con Martinsons Otto said he would take the Manitoba government to court Over the closing and will be filing a statement of Cas Board crushes Sinclair ouster bid by Maureen Brosnahan John Sinclair received overwhelming support As president of the Winnipeg childrens Aid society yesterday after Only two members voted to have him resign from the 30member the motion to remove who was accused last week of acting independently of the was introduced by native social worker Richard Fol Ster and seconded by Harvey there were several Folster had written a letter to sin Clair and other Board members accusing him of making decisions without consulting including reinstating Betty Schwartz As executive the Board had voted she remain away from the Agency until september Dur ing a management Schwartz was granted a four month medical leave of absence last Folster said after last nights meet ing he was disappointed by the Lack of support for his motion but that he would abide by the he said he would continue to voice his concerns about the boards i know i have a lot of there is no Way i would concede that i made a he i am going to continue on the Board and act As a responsible Board Smith also said he would support Sinclair As some of the Board members were obviously concerned about his Sinclair actions of the but they said lets give him a second Smith said Sinclair also apologized for comments he made about him earlier this week when he accused him of being an nip the Board also heard a preliminary report from the Toronto based management consulting firm which is conducting the Agency although Board members refused to discuss the a source said it reiterated Many of the complaints documented by the boards Adoc commit tee last the which spent More than 70 hours interviewing Cas reported management of the Agency was unethical and High handed and that staff was operating in an atmosphere of fear and it recommended the executive director be removed from her the management report yesterday also urged interim changes at the society including a recommendation the Board unite to improve the Agency rather than engage in continuous in it also recommended the Board cooperate More with the prov Ince which provides it with almost million in funding each the Board unanimously accepted the preliminary report and the Sugges a final report is expected in the next couple of five native people were nominated and appointed to the Board during yesterdays meeting and 100 persons who had applied for member ship in the childrens Aid society were they will be allowed to elect a new Board next Foo care services urged civic recreation and social services committee wants the provincial government to explore the possibility of providing More Foo care the committee yesterday adopted a civic administration recommendation which said such services should be expanded because too few health agencies Are Able to provide the administration prepared a re port on the matter following a com plaint by the age and Opportunity Centre and clinic Community health Centre that More services Are particularly for senior the report noted the citywide need for Foo care is increasing As the senior citizen population it said Lon term planning is required to meet demand for the adding such planning could be provided Only through the provincial healthcare the City used to provide Foo care but closed its two clinics at the end of last City environment commissioner Dave Henderson said the which began in was discontinued because it had outgrown itself and because it was being abused to a certain he said the City had More pressing uses for its adding Foo care services Are available from other the service Cost the City about 000 a year and required the equivalent of one full time nursing it reached Only about 600 of the roughly senior citizens in the inner City clinic says it has been providing Foo care service to More than 200 patients a i
;