Winnipeg Free Press

Tuesday, January 15, 1985

Issue date: Tuesday, January 15, 1985
Pages available: 86
Previous edition: Monday, January 14, 1985

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions

Logos

About Winnipeg Free Press

  • Publication name: Winnipeg Free Press
  • Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
  • Pages available: 86
  • Years available: 1872 - 2025
Learn more about this publication

About NewspaperArchive.com

  • 3.12+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to One of the World's Largest Newspaper Archives!

Start your Genealogy Search Now!

OCR Text

Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - January 15, 1985, Winnipeg, Manitoba Charge of assault against boys denied by Bob Cox the son of a Charleswood child care Centre owner yesterday denied he deliberately threw two Young boys against a Wall in the Centre last Ben Bond told a provincial court trial he was walking with two eighty Earold boys at the Centre when he tripped on a pile of run Ning boots and skipping pushing one child into a Wall and falling we were walking around the Corner and As we were walking around the Corner i Bond is charged with As Sault causing bodily the incident is alleged to have occurred about last june 7 at the Early childhood education Centre on Elmhurst the boys told an earlier court hearing Bond grabbed one by the hair and one by the Hood of his and threw them against the Wall in an attempt to discipline them for disturbing other children who were playing the boy who hit the Wall suffered a bump on his complained of a headache and dizzy and omitted at school later that his school principal Victor Chaput told the he was taken to childrens hos Pital where a doctor determined he had suffered a Bond told the court the child appeared Normal and unharmed a few minutes after hitting the he denied throwing either of the boys against a Wall and said he have grabbed them As they because at the time his left hand was in a bandaged and he said three sets of boys were playing checkers when he entered the basement of the childcare Centre the morning of june two boys left their own game and began to bother an other pair of Bond they refused to Stop pestering the Bond so he scolded reminded them it was almost school time and or dered them to put on their Bond said he Felt he owed the two boys an explanation for being Cross with so he followed them to where they were putting on their near a stairwell leading Bond denies using Force he said he put a Handon one Childs left shoulder and his other hand on the other Childs right shoulder to guide them to the stairs where he intended to speak to As he approached the he said he slipped and pushing one child out of his Way so he land on top of the child hit a nearby Bond Bond denied he Ever used physical Force to discipline children at the childcare Centre owned by his Mother Doris Winnipeg free january 1986 13 via rail subsidies favored High Quality service urged by poll respondents Church seeks return of documents Toronto up a search War rant authorizing the Ontario Provin Cial police to seize about documents from the Church of scientology Headquarters in Toron to two years ago should be quashed because it is the supreme court of Ontario has been Mel a lawyer for the also told the court yesterday that the seized documents should be returned to Church the information sworn by the Opp before a Justice of the peace to obtain the warrants contains deliberate misrepresentations and is a fraud on the Green about 100 Opp officers raided the Church Headquarters and carted away hundreds of boxes of Docu ments on March last month the Opp Laid criminal charges against the Church and 19 members and former since the the Church has been battling to get the warrant quashed and the documents Green told Justice John Osier that some of the officers involved in the raid didst have copies of the search warrant with or an appendix listing specific alleged of and that represents a Viola Tion of the charter of rights and meanwhile in another a provincial court was told three of 19 Church members facing a variety of criminal charges have net yet been served with warrants because police have not located lawyers and 16 of the 19 people charged in december crowded in the courtroom yesterday to answer sum the accused will appear in court again 28 to set a trial the Church members face one or More of three charges theft of More than breach of Trust and Possession of property obtained by the Church itself faces 17 Ottawa up almost 80 per cent of canadians say they want High Quality passenger train service across the country and half the popu lation wants the Federal government to subsidize says a Survey pre pared for the transport depart the Survey carried out in 1983 of randomly selected households says that 77 per cent favor a High Quality passenger train system and 82 per cent want transcontinental passenger trains to the obtained by the Cana Dian press under Tion found that nine of 10 travellers on via rail were satisfied with the trip and that eight of 10 were Happy with the service and punctuality of the operations restored transport minister Don Mazan Kowski is to announce today that the government will restore three Pas Senger train As promised during the 1984 election they Are the Vancouver aspired Montre Alsaint and Toronto Havelock the minister has no plans for new equipment to replace Vias aged locomotives and most of which went into service before John Diefenbaker became prime minister in the 1983 Survey was one of five conducted by Angus Reid associates of Winnipeg under a contract awarded under former lib eral transport minister Lloyd a the Survey was said to reflect the opinion of the population with an accuracy of plus or minus percentage Points 95 times of train travel appears to be most popular in Ontario and where via operates Many of its and least on the the Survey said seven of 10 of All the people surveyed rated Vias Reli ability and accessibility As Satis fac while 60 per cent were Satis fied with prices and level of service from the Crow owned two thirds were against any cuts nation in passenger 20 per cent wanted a major expansion of via 24 per cent wanted a modest expansion and 33 per cent were satisfied with the existing level of Only 10 per cent wanted via Cut expansion was most popular in British Columbia and Ontario and least in a second Survey done in Early 1984 found that canadians want less spent on federally operated airports and More on highways and rail about 41 per cent of the households polled in the second sur vey said they thought the country rail system needed an improvement compared with 30 per cent who had that View about six months and almost 50 per cent of those polled were aware of Steps taken by via or announced by the Liberal government to improve rail the Survey found that 31 per cent want More Money for Highway in compared with eight per cent who wanted More for air ports and five per cent for ports and the first Survey found the air plane was the most popular Mode of travel in chosen by 45 per cent despite its expense because of its reliability and caboose less train studies lawyer charges Vancouver up Canadian National and Canadian Pacific rail ways have done Little research into the monitoring devices with which they want to replace says Roy the lawyer acting for a group seeking to retain safety is the Paramount Issue Romanow said yesterday at a Canadian transport commission hearing into the railways application to test caboose less my impression is that the railways Stu Dies of this have Only been cur1 the railways have been More interested in other such As the economic advantages of eliminating than they have been in said who is representing Saskatchewan keep the caboose composed mainly of railway workers who object to the companies up rail representatives told the hearing that a caboose costs that the railways inventory of cabooses is Worth about million and that its annual caboose maintenance costs Are the transport commission has been holding hearings across the country on the in place of the which the railways say were originally introduced years ago to perform functions that Are no longer required on modern the railways will install a device called an endow train unit which will Monitor the trains automatic braking system and the end of the trains the companies say etus have been used satisfactorily on some and Many european railways for but Romanow said the information obtained from those sources by the railways is the United transportation which represents some railway has been the major inter Venor at the hearings held earlier in Moncton and the Union says not loss of is the reason its members object to the removal of our collective agreement pro Vides Job Security for our members so none of them will lose their jobs As a result of the caboose being discontinued either for tests or oth says a Brief presented by locals to the 1985 Gumc s truck 5 Speed 1500 pay step bump full size shocks 1985 acadian 2 4 4 cloth bucket radial sport Battery Mac financing on 1984 1985 new demo 1985 Skylar 4 air con tilt wire pulse sport Mir lamp tinted plus much More 1985 sunbird 4 4 4 spa cloth rally a Remote be Sabre 4 air lilt Walro wheel design ers 2 tone pulse Power convenience automatic plus much 84 citation 84 Skylark 4 2 tone covers 4 air tilt tinted lamp sport de luxe 81 Century Wagon 83 escort 82 Parisienne Wagon 350 in Sabre Ltd 4 open till 9 second prize lottery Cash claimed Montreal up while Canada Waits for the lotto Jackpot Winner to three of the four second prize winners in Quebec came Forward yesterday to claim their a Fourman group representing 26 workers at the Leboucan meat process ing Plant in nearby showed up at lot Quebec offices in Montreal for their Alexandre Horrobin said he planned to buy a Rowboat for fishing trips with his share of the Alain Roy had a new car on the top of his Guy Sevigny will Purchase a while Louis per Rier was still thinking about the Joney is All the More Wel they because the plants 60 employees endured a nine week lock out last Nicole begin followed them a few hours later to pick up the winnings for her 80yearold Mother and her four the 42yearold single who works with the visually impaired in the Quebec City suburb of Charles said the Money will enable her and her Mother to take a Long cherished then Lise Desjardin Mcleod of near by Ste Therese appeared to claim a the former Eaton buyer had the second prize combination while her fire inspector husband and three children won a lesser she said she plans to invest the winnings and buy a new car next year on the the immediate absence of a Jack pot Winner believed to be an ontarian was too much temptation yesterday for a group of Montre Alers who showed up with a tattered ticket they claimed was the big the ticket had been purchased in they swore and had got into a bad state after falling into the Snow and being chewed by a but the lot Quebec computer traced the ticket to a Montreal agent who sold it 30 minutes after the winning Combina Tion was announced countrywide Satur Day the group was politely asked to Winnipeg free press 2554 Portage at Moray 8375811 returns when watch for further details ;