Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - June 23, 1987, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Winnipeg free press june Page 3 Pawley defends promoter unable to refund local councillors approve bylaw to curb false burglar alarms by Gerald flood a new bylaw to curb thousands of false burglar alarms was approved by a civic committee yesterday Over a City councillors objections that it sets a dangerous under the police can refuse to respond to burglar alarms at properties where three false alarms Are recorded in a six month its the mandate of the police department to respond to Terry Wachniak Mynarski what i dont accept As valid is were going to let the Bells ring and not there should be no Point at which an essential service is City administrators and other councillors on the Parks and culture committee disa they cited a study that found 95 per cent of burglar alarms last year were false alarms that tied up the equivalent of woman Cruiser cars 24 hours a we simply dont have the Man Power to continue Deputy police chief Stan Scarr my major concern is spending responding to false John steel steel Grants Mill also noted the bylaw Only says the police not discontinue service if the alarm owner refuses to take Steps to Stop false were really Only talking about people who Are totally abusive and not controlling their Wachniak argued that setting a limit is an open invitation to burglars to repeatedly trip alarms until police refuse to but Scarr said police attempt to discover the cause of every alarm and if an alarm mysteriously kept ringing they would wonder Bwy free press Lazy Days of summer two canoeists enjoy a leisurely trip on Nuti Mik Lake in perfect conditions for an cooler weather is White Shell provincial Park As hot weather provided expected with a High of c Mil denies split Over labor Bill support Strong for final offer Union official claims by Murray Mcneill Manitoba federation of labor officials denied yesterday the pro Vinces labor movement is divided Over the Pawley governments pro posed final offer selection Legisla there is not a real split in the labor Mil president Wilf Hudson told a news conference called by the mfrs executive coun Hudson said although a number of unions have publicly condemned the he and other Mil officials Are convinced most support Bill he said final offer selection was endorsed by an overwhelming majority of the More than 600 delegates to the 1985 Mil biennial Conven fifteen executive Council Mem Bers from nine provincial labor organizations attended yesterdays news conference to support the legis among them was Heather president of the Winnipeg labor the Council was one of the labor organizations that voiced opposition to the Bill last two Days later it received a telex from the Safeway agreement tied to West fair strike by Allison Bray a tentative collective agreement Between Canada Safeway and its Manitoba employees could hold the key to a settlement in the 20day strike at West fair foods Bernard president of the Manitoba food and commercial workers said yesterday the agreement reached sunday night after a weekend bargaining session Between Safeway and the Union could influence settlement of the West fair Christophe refused to release de tails of the tentative workers were to vote on the contract today and but he said West fair would have to make the first move Back to the bargaining negotiations broke off Between West fair and the a few following three Days of talks called by a conciliator last no further have been the Union also wants Safeway employees to join the West fair workers on the picket they Are Brothers and Sisters of the same Union and have a stake in the strike in the Short Christophe West fair spokesman Dave Ryzebol said pressure to end the West fair strike As a result of the Safeway agreement would largely depend on what is in the but he said West fairs 12 striking econ Mart and shop easy stores sell both merchandise and groceries and the terms of the Safeway agreement could have Little bearing on a West fair the main Union Issue in the Dis Pute at West fairs stores in Winni Dauphin and Thomp son is guaranteed hours for Par time who Christophe says comprise 85 per cent of the company two striking super a la employees were arrested yester Day for breaking a video camera used by a photographer hired by West fair to record picket line Inci Canadian labor Congress warning it to drop its plan to publicly oppose the Bill because it would be intruding on Mil when questioned by reporters yesterday about Why she was now showing support for the Grant said she was there in her role As a member of the mfrs executive not As labor coun cil she said that As an executive member she must uphold policies of the and that the federations policy is to support final offer she said the labor Council was out of line in taking a Public stand on a provincial and that Council delegates will be reevaluating their position at a june 30 Well Iron out our problems and work things she representatives for two unions which belong to the labor Council and Are opposed to the governments proposed legislation had differing reactions when told Grant attended yesterdays news Canadian Union of Public employees representative Shirley who last week resigned her position on the mfrs executive to protest the federations endorsement of the leg said she had no objections to Grant attending the news Confer lord said there is a difference Between Grant attending in her role As a federation executive Council member and in her role As labor Council she was there As a member of the executive lord it Doest concern Leslie staff representative for the International ladies garment workers said she was shocked to learn Grant was among those who appeared in sup port of the Spillett said she didst want to comment further until she has had a Chance to talk to Grant about her reasons for doing would not attend Spillett said had she been presi Dent of the labor Council she would not have attended because Council members clearly have said they do not endorse final offer selection As a Means of settling labor Hudson said the Mil asked the Csc to speak to the labor Council because it is a Lon recognized Rule that the Mil is the voice for organized labor on provincial if this was to it would mean we have two federations of labor in Manitoba and we just cant have Hudson under the proposed final offer selection an arbitrator could pick either the unions or the company final contract proposal and impose it As a settlement bind ing on both bylaw will require owners of an estimated burglar alarms in Winnipeg to obtain licences for the police will launch an information Campaign prior to the bylaw coming into any alarm owner who has not obtained a licence after that will be liable to prosecution and fines of up to Protection commissioner Bob Lunney said he hoped the bylaw would be in place by he added there is a growing number of false fire which he plans to discuss with fire he said he did not know whether the problem would have to be addressed through bylaws or some other similar bylaws in other Canadian cities have led to significant reductions in false a report to the committee arts funding changes gain endorsement by Gerald flood a civic committee yesterday approved in principle sweeping changes to the Way the City funds arts and cultural the endorsed by protect Parks and culture include in extra funds for arts groups this the with other funds approved will boost arts fund ing by 36 per cent to million from million last changes also include guaranteed annual funding for Fol Lorama and the festival do which owes the City both groups Are to get Grants this the funding changes were recommended by the arts advisory coun created three years ago to find a method of funding arts other than the and hoc basis used in the the arts Council recommends drawing Grants from a funding Pool to reflect relative needs of competing rather than Basing them on Council chairman Chris Hurley told the committee for the Council has re commended that across Leboard Grants to the Manitoba the atre Royal Winnipeg Ballet and Rainbow stage be in their Grants of and respectively were recommended for this other recommended Grants Range from for the Winnipeg Art to for the Winnipeg symphony orchestra and to plug in the total funding this year is projected to increase to million in Hurley by the City will have reached a recommended funding target equal to five per cent of the total revenues of the funded the level is lower than the nation Al average of six per but a substantial increase Over the cites past funding he i think for the first time we Are standing within shouting distance of what we should be arts Council member Harold Mac Donald Corydon the Council also wants to create a new Grant Worth about a for individual the Money will be available to artists with credentials who have lived in Winnipeg at least 12 the committee endorsed the changes in principle but refused to adopt the funding formula based on five per cent of arts groups reve we Are not going to fund on the basis of someone else Don Mitchelson committee asked City officials to come up with a new formula that would give the equivalent amount of Money but would be tied to City not budgets of arts Mitchelson Henderson said if the formula is attached to the revenues of the funded the City could find itself increasing Grant Levels at rates much higher than that at which City revenues Guy Savoie who had asked the City to forgive a loan to festival do Voya said yesterday he will drop the request if the new funding is approved by he said the festival was in the 1960s that it would receive an annual Grant of that Grant was dropped when the festival Bor rowed from the City to Reno vate be rendezvous social Hall in vendors complaint backfires food Vendor complaints that a bylaw forced them out of old Market Square backfired the vendors hoped a review of the bylaw by civic planning committee would Lead to changes allowing them Back into the Park behind City the committee called for a study of whether the vendors should be required to increase their liability the liability Issue was raised by Ernie Gilroy Sargent who noticed the bylaw does not re quire vendors insure the City against by licensing in a Way were condoning Shir Ley Tim Rudolph Springfield Heights committee chairman Chris Lorenc argued in favor of helping the who found themselves in a dilemma when they were kicked out of the Park 10 Days under the vendors cannot Stop on private property but can Stop on City streets As Long As they Are serving maximum time a separate bylaw re quires they remain at the curb no longer than the maximum allowed on a parking meter one or two about half the time for which they set Lorenc Sisler argued it was wrong to put vendors and commis Sion Aires in a position where they must pretend the bylaw Doest Why continue a charade he if there going to be there four hours and people Are enjoying Why should we make it difficult for them Helen Promislow said changing the parking bylaw was a matter for Protection she also said it was too late to help the because the Issue had become with the Ven Dors on one Side and restaurant owners on the we could be seen As favouring one group Over she restaurateur Paul Kostas told the committee that while the vendors Are licensed to be to they have become permanent fixtures that do not pay property business they can sell for less because they have no overhead at said spokesman for 36 area res Appeal option to legalize Smith says by Catherine Mitchell Community services minister Muriel Smith says changes planned for the provinces child abuse Regis try should make the list Smith said a court decision yes Keiday that struck Down the registry was based on the fact suspected and confirmed abusers had no Way to Appeal the listing of their Cabinet will soon be presented with registry revisions that in clude an Appeal she no decision on fighting the court ruling has been made she As Smith said she Hast decided whether the registry will be used in the adding it May be we dont want to trample on rights but there May be a period of time in which it the registry Validity is in Justice Robert Carr of court of Queens Bench ruled the abuse containing names of abusers and violated the charter of rights and Carr also said the registry was not in accordance with fundamental Justice because those listed could not Agnes Hilaire had asked the court to Rule the registry violated 7 of the which Guaran tees the right to equal treatment and Protection under the Smith said the department re moved Hilaire sons name from the registry and tried striking an out court settlement because it didst feel the Case was a Good one to test the Hilaire accused the depart ment of trying to shut her up with the out court Smith said the mothers fear of the registry Impact on her sons future was the 17yearolds listed be cause he was suspected of sexually abusing his would not have Arisen again unless a childcare Agency had received a second Alle gation involving the she the abuse registry is used by child and family service agencies to Check whether a suspected abuser or victim has Ever been involved in a previous Smith noted the department is expected to prevent repeat cases of child yet is criticized for using a tool that helps to do that Liberal Leader Sharon Carstairs said she applauded the court Deci Sion if it Grants stronger rights to those on the Carstairs said it will be tragic if children Are jeopardized by a Complete erasure of the Smith said her departments draft revisions come from recommendations following a two year review of the the advice included adding an Appeal no longer listing suspected physical abusers names and allowing employers to Check for a prospective workers name if the Job involves Contact with Chil Smith noted the judge seemed to approve of the registry objective to protect she said while the department had known of the registry weak it preferred to err on the Side of protecting Smith registry revisions
;