Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - June 1, 1995, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Buy your Manitoba builder Bonds by phone sri Wiuf eligible liquid sales end june 15 Call Ken Wilk 9822660 18002189889 rdc Dominion Winnipeg free press local june Joe Bryksa Winnipeg free press egg Opolis set to Hatch Virginia and her Calgary sister Linda Murray get today at the the giant inflatable created in in a sneak preview yesterday of the egg Opolis display being consists of 10 huge eggs in a multitude of colors con featured at the Manitoba childrens which opens nested by a series of passageways and a second Chance to speak up deadline extended for Rural residents to participate in lottery hearings legislature reporter Rural Manitoban have been Given a second Chance to attend Public hearings on the provinces gambling Larry chairman of the provincial gaming task yesterday extended the registration deadline for delegations by one week to june 8 after an advertising glitch left Rural Manitoban in the for some reason there was a Desjardins said of the ads that were supposed to run in Rural newspapers last until hearing of the Des Jardins had been considering cancelling hearings scheduled for Hydro Accident kills worker three injured a Winnipeg Hydro worker was killed yesterday when a steel Gate fell on him at the slave Falls Power two other workers were treated for minor injuries at Pinawa Hospi while a third employee was transported to health sciences Cen tre As a precautionary he is expected to the dead mans name was withheld until next of Kin had been Hydro spokesman Randy Hull said details about the Accident Are still the steel Gate is roughly me tres by metres and weighs More than a such Gates Are used to Block water flowing into the Plant so turbines can be worked the workers were using an Over head Crane to put the Gate in Stor Hull said its believed that the Gate had been stood on its Edge be fore it Brandon and Dauphin because of a Lack of ads that appeared in Winnipeg newspapers last week have led to 14 registrations for the hearing scheduled for june but even though the task Force has attempted to Correct the mistake by placing ads in newspapers in Dau Brandon and Thompson As Well As Winnipeg the nip is raising concerns about How commit Ted the government and the task Force Are to Public Greg the Dps acting lot teries wondered Why the province didst use some of the Mil Lions of dollars spent promoting gambling to let Manitoban know about the weve got concerns throughout Manitoba on this problem and wed prefer that they held More Public Dewar Selkirk the publicity efforts and number of Public hearings of the Desjardins task Force Pale in comparison to two recent commissions appointed by the Filmon the task Force reviewing school division boundaries headed by for Mer Winnipeg mayor Bill Norrie held 58 meetings in 26 locations across Manitoba last and it spent advertising its although part of that spending included pos report information Brief the 1993 commission into la salary and pensions chaired by Wally Fox decent held Only one pub Lic hearing in but it oper ated a Tollfree line 24 hours a Day for an entire month so people could make their by the Desjardins commission has spent about on but Desjardins denied his task Force is facing any budget adding he prefers people sending written submissions which will be received until june we would prefer those respond ing with Well though tout written Desjardins also said the on week notice people have to file for Public hearings int too tight a i think one week is plenty be cause All you have to do is pick up a phone and Call Joe Bryksa Winnipeg free press portrait of a Grad Wai Kee Wong Centre was one of u of m students to graduate at the University 116th convocation Over the past two beside him is longtime Friend from Hong Cheuk Wang Wai Yip Wong snaps their Wai graduated in Section Brian Cole 6977292 b1 lobby ice cold on Arena taxpayers group touts forum plan by Nick Martin City Hall reporter angry taxpayers Are go ing to put the heat on politicians who approved a new Arena and keep the heat Peter Holle vowed yester a vocal minority railroaded a new Arena past governments that should have known they were making a big provincial director of the Manitoba taxpayers Assoc a told a news the Meta is faxing members throughout Rural Manitoba to stir up Holle about Signa Tures have already been collected Over the past two weeks by a coalition of Winnipeg and Manitoba tax payers demanding that the province Amend the City of Winnipeg act to require that big ticket projects be put to Public this thing is being rushed through the Back Holle City taxpayers Are going to pay through the Teeth for this the Meta has endorsed the Winni Peg forum which says it can construct a Arena on the site of the existing Winnipeg Arena for million in private we have been singularly unable to communicate the message this is not a architect Mike Rattray told the news its its the infrastructure is he said of the existing Arena near Polo it Winnipeg is used to Rattray said the facility could be rebuilt while maintaining seats for Winnipeg jets games Dur ing it would not re quire the additional capital projects which the new Arena North of the Forks requires the City to he mayor Susan Thomp son said the Meta int qualified to advise where the Arena should Thompson said the Burns and Mauro As Well As Manitoba entertainment Complex and the current jets All concluded a new downtown Arena is she in not going to reinvent the the mayor there have been millions of dollars spent to Date on the Arena project North of the Rattray admitted governments have probably gone too far to recon Sider the Winnipeg forum although it has been an option for Only Glen Murray fort Rouge and fellow members of the Winnipeg in the nineties win Cau Cus have seriously considered maybe it is too said rat Early or the new Arena is a nip pounds tories during Power play Over Arena plans by Alice Krueger legislature reporter the Filmon government took it on the Chin again yesterday Over the proposed new Arena North of the with accusations it is allow ing itself to be led around by private interests while the Public foots the we have 100 per cent of the Cost and Zero per cent of the opposition Leader Gary doer adding that Manitoba entertain ment Complex officials Are making All the major decisions about the ultimate Price tag and earlier this finance minis Ter Eric Stefanson said the province will not seek tenders on the Arena because there int it will go along with the Mecs Choice of a construction manager and a negotiated Price of it has taken governance to a new level of the opposition Leader said sarcastically after roasting the government during the daily question doer demanded the government table All studies on the comparative costs of the various Arena so Manitoban can see for themselves which is the least the Filmon government Origi Nally favored a site near the Winni Peg convention but last year switched its support to the Mecs chosen site North of the finance minister Eric Stefanson said when Mec did its original re it concluded that site would be less costly to develop than the site near the convention doer tabled a report prepared by the City of Winnipeg administration last january which shows the it estimates it would Cost about million More to build the Arena North of the when the government switched its support for the the prov inces contribution was Only Mil lion compared with the latest commitment of million in provincial doer we want to know whether the decision is based on the financial inter ests of the private investors or is it based on Good savings for the people of he Stefanson expressed impatience Over continued delays in finishing the Deal to keep the jets in i am somewhat concerned we obviously want to see that next step he i think its in everybody Best interests to make that decision As soon As it can be made because there Are Many other issues that have to be and the private sector has to go out and raise More Money if we Are going to be building a facility we need to get on with site prepare silent majority getting another Chance to flex its Muscles the people who joined me at Portage and main last thursday for a save our Pride rally have taken out a Mailin Coupon advertisement in the free press this saturday to ask the question should taxpayers pay this amount to keep a hockey franchise and build a new Arena coordinator Janis Kaminsky is convinced the silent majority will give it the big thumbs and that based on the More than 450 faxes and letters Ive had from Manitoban by and would like to see the Winnipeg jets but not at any fifteen people supported the Mike Ward i suspect the Winnipeg teachers association May Well have received the same kind of response after its executives went out on a limb and pledged towards keeping the jets on behalf of their the pledge was withdrawn this week after members voiced their that action kind of reflects what Ive been saying All the majority of Manitoban Are Good and mad at the taxpayer donation contributed by the three Levels of then theres the hardcore jets fans who contributed Money towards saving their there also Good and mad with the length of time the major players in the save our jets Campaign have taken to put the Deal Bear in mind their contributions were Given prior to the three Levels of governments coming up with the tripling the original Cost to a Good portion of the save our jets pledge Money was collected by Royal Bank branches throughout the Marcel the Banks manager of personal told me yesterday that clients Are now asking for their Money there Hast been a flood of just a few Here and there who have had a change of Normandeau told the pledges Are still clients and we will return them if Normandeau said the feedback Hes had from branches is that those people asking for their Money Back thought they had contributed to a done but now they Are not so Given the slow Progress of putting the Deal cant believe its As complicated As the key figures would have us believe not in the least surprised people have had second in equally sure that a Good Many jets supporters feel left out in the the save our Pride advertisement this saturday sums i the feeling of the silent its headed we love the what about our our our lifestyle who dropped off the and said people will be asked if they Are opposed to spending More than million from each level of government to build the proposed Complex and if they Are opposed to building it near the the third As far Asim is the big one do people want a referendum on the Issue Premier Gary subscribing to the doctrine that governments Are elected to govern and if they dont do it Well they Are eventually kicked out of has said theres no Chance of that maybe when the silent majority Speaks up on hell change his victim of an injustice that bureaucracy wont remedy fax or email Mike Ward on the internet at
;