Winnipeg Free Press

Wednesday, October 18, 1995

Issue date: Wednesday, October 18, 1995
Pages available: 71
Previous edition: Tuesday, October 17, 1995

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions

Logos

About Winnipeg Free Press

  • Publication name: Winnipeg Free Press
  • Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
  • Pages available: 71
  • Years available: 1872 - 2025
Learn more about this publication

About NewspaperArchive.com

  • 3.12+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to One of the World's Largest Newspaper Archives!

Start your Genealogy Search Now!

OCR Text

Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - October 18, 1995, Winnipeg, Manitoba Winnipeg free october 1995 a5 officers wont face charges Garry Ostash inspect the Terra Cotta facade of the electric railway Chambers craftsman restores heritage artisans touch helps buildings regain splendor by Manfred Jager staff reporter Over the last three years he single Anderly refurbished the interiors of the Walker theatre and the Bank of Montreal building at Portage and then he restored and repainted the ceiling of the former main Branch of the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce on main now Alfred the 42 year old German Stone Mason and is getting ready to fix the Terra Cotta facade of the electric railway Chambers building at the Cor Ner of notre Dame Avenue and Albert last week Widmer standing crumbling pieces of the facade will be on a specially designed four foot wide platform operated by four electric motors scaled the 11 floors of the historic building to find and catalogue pieces of Terra Cotta decoration that have deteriorated or fallen off in recent at the same he is removing Terra Cotta structures to Check the steel supports behind them for rust and the project is financed with two Grants totalling from the designated heritage building Grants program of the provincial heritage and citizenship in giving myself about three weeks for this after it will probably be too cold to continue working up Widmer the Winnipeg who came to Canada a few years ago when fort Garry place was under construction and Developer Martin Bergen needed dozens of Tyndall Stone Sculp Tures to decorate the fronts of his has constructed a special platform for this pro i need More space than the Twofoot wide platforms the window cleaners he i also needed a Safe net under Neath so nobody gets Hurt if a Small piece of Terra Cotta comes Loose As i probe and Falls to the once the assessment is com Widmer and a structural Engineer from the firm of Crosie Kilgour and partners will plan the restoration Wimmers project after the railway Chambers will be the hotel fort meat testing will continue Mccrae by Paul Samyn legislature reporter health minister Jim Mccrae yesterday tried to assure Manitoban that the provinces laboratories will continue to be vigilant against Ham Burger disease and other Public health Mccrae said the provinces health testing facilities Are still watching for hamburger disease and other contaminants that could pose a risk to the we have the appropriate resources in place to do what test ing is Mccrae the free press reported yester Day that recent changes to Provin Cial health testing facilities have left the province without the ability to effectively test meat for Ham Burger As the free press investigation uncovered concerns about provincial cos cutting that will Force municipalities to pay for lab oratory tests on food and water but Mccrae said the Only thing that has changed on the testing of hamburger disease is the end of a research project that was provid ing some additional Mccrae hinted that some of the concern raised about the return to Normal testing procedures is com ing from those who were involved in the research Mccrae also said the change in payment for testing will not affect nip health critic Dave Chomiak said he trusted the concerns made by scientists about the test ing changes More than Mccrae and accused the tories of shortchanging the not enough evidence to Back up youths Cano trip allegations by Doug Narne police reporter Justice offi have decided not to Pur sue criminal charges against Winnipeg police officers who Are alleged to have been drinking and physically abusive on a wilderness Canoe trip with a group of but the officers May still face internal a report from the Crown says the evidence in the Case does not support criminal charges or establish criminal intent by the but the report suggests the pub lic interest May be better served by an appropriate internal the report did not suggest what that response should Keith head of the departments internal affairs said he will make a recommendation to the police executive about what if should be taken against the we take any concern from the Public very seriously and Well continue to look into he but Mccaskill said any action against the officers involved and the findings of the investigation into the allegations will not be made saying police policy is not to release information regarding internal we have to abide by the collective agreement when dealing with the he the officers in question went on a five Day Canoe trip in july with a dozen youths under the now defunct police and pals the program was designed to Foster camaraderie Between the police and the youths Many of whom were from single Parent but boys who were on the trip allege the officers were drink swearing and being physically in one incident a boy is alleged to have been spanked across the Bare buttocks with a the boys also claim the officers threatened to shave off their pubic the officers involved in the incident were allowed to stay on Active duty while awaiting the outcome of the invest thorough Mccaskill said the investigation into the incident was carried out by the he said the Crown complimented it As being very the Mother of one of the boys involved in the incident said she is disappointed but not surprised by the decision not to charge any of the i really didst think anything would come of it when it is the police investigating nurses plan to tie one on to save emergency hours by Bill Redekop staff reporter Community Hospital nurses will put yellow rib Bons on everything from Trees to patients next week in their fight to keep 24hour emergency nurses were also told put the Yel Low ribbons on themselves and their children at a meeting last night of 300 Victoria general hos Pital they will also seek out sympathizers in malls and outside super and possibly target Parent teacher associations and even no one can predict when they will have a heart attack or asthma Union rep Arlene Abrey said in defence of 24hour Emer gency wards at the suburban hos Abrey added patients need not fear they will be treated any differently if they dont sign a Peti Tion or Wear a were she the yellow ribbon Campaign by nurses at the five Community hospitals kicks off the nurses Union has 16 Kilometres of ribbon to Cut up and Dis emergency patients will also be asked to sign petitions and will be encouraged to write or phone their nurses reported that most peo ple were Happy to sign the petitions but some people have responded were getting people Flat out said emergency nurse Chris the Victoria nurses have signatures so Oak finish contemporary styled ample shelving behind a tinted Glass ;