Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - July 13, 1997, Winnipeg, Manitoba
More Canada and world news a 7around the world blasts Rock hotels Havana Reuter a cubans Interior ministry said yesterday it has evidence people responsible for exploding two devices in two Havana hotels earlier in the Day were from the United states. A the Interior ministry has evidence that the people responsible for these deeds and also the materials they used came from the United states a said a Brief ministry statement. The statement said explosions that rocked the lobbies of the hotel Nacional and the hotel Capri were caused by a explosive it said the blasts slightly wounded three people. The statement did not it say if anyone had been inconclusive Memphis Tenn. Apr the first tests on James Earl rays Rifle in two decades have failed to determine whether it was used to kill the Rev. Martin Luther King or. A judge says More tests May be needed. The Rifle and the Bullet that killed King were examined in May As part of rays attempt to win a trial. In court Friday experts said 12 of 18 test bullets fired from the .30-06 Hunting Rifle had microscopic markings not found on the fatal slug. A they match it but they eliminate it either a said a firearms specialist. A a it a survivors found Havana Reuter a Rescue boats and planes found no survivors yesterday from a cuban Airliner that crashed into the sea near the Eastern City of Santiago de Cuba with 44 people on Board. The Cubana de aviation an-24 plunged into the sea late Friday shortly after taking off from Santiago on a flight to returned Cash St. Peters to. A a gun Man robbed a convenience store of less than $100 a and then gave it Back because his car Start. In return the two clerks at the 7-11 gave his car a jump Start. They also waited 40 minutes before calling police and did no to take Down the Guys licence plate number. A we have a Friendly town out Here a police said. Police said the robber told the clerks the Holdup was a joke but he also noted the robber a still had the gun and the clerks were just complying with about an hour after the 7-11 heist a suspect was arrested following a robbery at a nearby Gas Back Charles London Reuter a More than one half of britons think Prince Charles would make a Good King but seven out of to of his future subjects do not want his mistress Camilla Parker Bowles to become his Queen a Survey indicated. The Mori Survey showed the country is becoming increasingly used to the affair Between Charles divorced in 1996, and Parker Bowles 49, the mail sunday newspaper in Hebron Hebron West Bank apr palestinian rioters lobbed dozens of firebombs stones and bottles at israeli troops yesterday while trying to Dodge the army a rubber bullets and rocks thrown at them by jewish settlers. Nine palestinians were injured by the rubber bullets. The clashes broke out after a group of 25 jewish settlers who had come from morning Sabbath prayers started throwing stones at palestinian youths in the City a downtown area the site of recent daily violence. Israeli soldiers removed the settlers and were then attacked by palestinians. Orangemen a path of peace torn apart Reuter Belfast a Morf violence hit Northern Ireland overnight after earlier peaceful annual parades by thousands of orangemen who agreed to avoid flashpoint roman Catholic areas police said today. In the capital Belfast and in Portal own stoning attacks were launched on orangemen returning from parades Britain a press association news Agency quoted a police spokesman saying. One orangemen was injured in the Portadown attack the spokesman said. Petrol bombers attacked an Orange order Hall at Warrenpoint damaging a car. The Leader of the pro British Ulster unionist party Northern Ireland a biggest political group accused Irish nationalists of responding to the Orange orders gesture of cancelling parades through roman Catholic areas with gunfire. A people were asking will there be a response from nationalists a David Trimble said at an Orange Parade outside Belfast yesterday. A yes there was a response the response was he added a we Hope it is becoming clearer and clearer what the True nature of sinn fein Ira is. The violence that came last night was not a he was referring to Irish Republican army guerrillas and their political allies the sinn fein party who want an end to British Rule in Northern Ireland. Two teenagers and five members of a joint police and British army patrol were injured in attacks by Republican gunmen in Belfast late Friday night. The Ira admitted shooting the soldiers and police officers and also said it was responsible for a bomb attack on Security forces. Spokesmen for groups close to pro British gunmen said they fear the wounding of the two teenagers aged 14 and 18, will provoke retaliation in an atmosphere already charged with tension. Sinn fein president Gerry Adams called for an end to All sectarian attacks. A i Appeal for Calm a he said in a statement. Dressed in ceremonial sashes and Black Bowler hats As they marched behind bands blasting out pipe and drum music the 80,000-Strong Orange order staged parades across Northern Ireland. Yesterdays festivities commemorated a 1690 protestant Victory Over roman Catholic forces at the Battle of the Boyne which ensured a protestant ascended to the British throne. They avoided four volatile zones where parades were called off after Northern Ireland a minority roman people in Madrid react to news that Blanco had been shot. Basque separatists office bombed after abducted politician is shot Reuters a Erma Spain a unknown attackers firebombed the seat of Etas political Wing yesterday hours after a Spanish politician abducted by the Basque separatist guerrilla group was found shot in the head Spanish state television said. A Strong explosion was heard at the site of the Eta office in the Northern Basque town Erma where abducted politician Miguel Angel Blanco is councillor for the governing popular party. There were no reports of injuries. Firefighters put out the flames in a matter of minutes and the damage shown on state television did not appear to be serious. The attack followed a Day of noisy but peaceful demonstrations near the Erma office of Herri Bataluna which acts As the political Arm of the Eta movement. Police tried to keep townspeople outraged at the attempt on Blancos life from approaching the office. Blanco 29, was clinging to life in Hospital in the Basque coastal City san Sebastian after he was found shot in the head in a wooded area yesterday. Blancos kidnapping thursday and Etas threat to execute him at 4 . Yesterday local time unless Eta prisoners were transferred to jails in the Basque Region galvanized Spain like no other event in recent memory. With the government refusing to make concessions and Many fearing the standoff would result in Blancos death demonstrations and vigils were held Friday in cities across Spain. Yesterday a mass of humanity a Kilometre Long a with politicians from across the spectrum at its head a filled Bilbao a widest Boulevard the Gran via to demonstrate for Blancos release. After Blanco was discovered in a Rural area bound and with two Bullet wounds in the head by people who heard gunshots spontaneous anti Eta demonstrations were held in Madrid Barcelona Zaragoza and other cities. Eta an acronym for Basque Homeland and Freedom has killed almost 800 people since it began fighting in 1968 for Independence of Northern Spain a Basque Region. Sunday free press Canada world overnight violence Breaks Irish Calm Winnipeg july 13, 1997 editor Patrick Flynn / 697-7294 orangemen March behind Union Jack Flag bearer in Ballycastle. Catholics threatened mass demonstrations against what they regard As intimidation. The decision to cancel the contentious marches in Belfast Armagh Newry and Londonderry exposed rifts within the Orange order. Hardliners accused the leadership of Selling out and there were scuffles among orangemen when they gathered for a March at Limavady the venue chosen instead of Londonderry. An Orange Leader grand master Robert saucers called for Unity saying a at such a time like this we ask for the wholehearted support and undivided loyalty of our Brethren and All those who place Confidence in Scotia grits opt for new blood longtime Federal my replaces John Savage by Katherine Bell Canadian press Halifax a Nova Scotia liberals chose new blood Over a known Quantity yesterday selecting longtime Federal my Russell Maclellan As their new Leader and the provinces 24th Premier. A people said this party was in shambles a Maclellan said in accepting the result. A How wrong they Are. This is the beginning of the Campaign to the next provincial election a which we Are going to a crowd of about 1,200 in a cavernous hockey Arena cheered As the results were announced. Maclellan received 5,539 of the votes cast on the second ballot 4,939 were needed to win. Bernie Boudreau a High profile Cabinet minister in the outgoing government of Premier John Savage was second with 3,148, followed by Rosanne Skoke another former my with 1,189. Bac Bencher Bruce Holland was bumped after placing last on the first ballot. The party chose a combination of Telephone voting and old style ballots to choose its new Leader. Members paid $25 to Register and get a number code which they read to an operator Over the phone before indicating their Choice. A second operator confirmed their vote and dropped a paper ballot into a Box to be counted by party officials in a secret location. The new Leader will have to Call an election by next May and heal a party running Low in Public opinion polls. His opponents called upon the convention to make the Choice unanimous and All urged party members to unite and fight behind the new Leader. Maclellan a Cape Breton my for 18 years insists he can improve health and Community services without borrowing Money to pay for them. Hell have to perform a minor Miracle. The Federal liberals lost All 11 Nova Scotia seats in the june 2 election. And a recent poll put the provincial nip out in front for the first time and the liberals in third. A this is now a bigger family than the one i entered into this Campaign with a Maclellan told the convention crowd. A and its a family that we re going to strengthen As we go towards the next provincial election. A we can to do it unless All liberals Are going to be working together. In a going to need the support of every one of you. There cannot be any rancor or splits a this is one Liberal caustic barbs the four candidates shot caustic barbs at each other throughout the Campaign which began after the unpopular Savage finally bowed to pressure to step Down. Yesterday their speeches were More conciliatory but they stuck to Campaign themes Well worn from three months of use. Maclellan a former my for Cape Breton who has showed no compunction about turning Tail on unsavoury provincial decisions promised Little More than to rejuvenate the party and listen to voters. A your reconditioning starts right Here right now a he told the Halifax metro Centre crowd. Russell Maclellan fresh face Manitoba i i centre1996 sellout hit returns the Simpsons do Macbeth
;