Winnipeg Free Press

Sunday, June 20, 2004

Issue date: Sunday, June 20, 2004
Pages available: 60
Previous edition: Saturday, June 19, 2004
Next edition: Monday, June 21, 2004

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions

Logos

About Winnipeg Free Press

  • Publication name: Winnipeg Free Press
  • Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
  • Pages available: 60
  • Years available: 1872 - 2025
Learn more about this publication

About NewspaperArchive.com

  • 3.12+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to One of the World's Largest Newspaper Archives!

Start your Genealogy Search Now!

OCR Text

Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - June 20, 2004, Winnipeg, Manitoba A4 local Winnipeg free press sunday june 20, 2004 Home continued from Page a1 they were the original residents of the Manitoba marathons first project in 1980 ? a two Storey House on Cathedral Avenue that was sold last year in favour of the Bungalow which will suit the Resi dents better As they age. Bill Misko now 52, moved into the Home in 1991, followed in 1995 by Jocelyn mount 26. They Veall got jobs and they share cooking clean ing gardening laundry and shopping duties with the assistance of House manager Jan Levitt with them for 15 years. Joining Levitt at the House each Day is Tyler her Large Golden retriever Cross and Grey cat Casey lives there too. Other staff at the House include Danielle Levesque Angela Huebner and Darren Vail who la be running the half Marathon. Its a terrific Home with Faux Brick in the Kitchen a deck off the living room and five bedrooms for the residents. A sixth bedroom office is for the overnight staff person. This Home it Means everything everything to them said Levitt who was later hugging every one before she left for the Day. Especially for Rochelle Jay and Sharon because they understand what their lives would be like without Nancy Hughes in her 13th year As shalom executive director said the Manitoba Marathon projects have allowed Many Manitoban with an intellectual disability to leave institutional settings or their parents Homes and live their own lives. I be watched people mature Over the years their communication skills improve she said. I be seen them grow in their ability to relate to the outside world and to develop More adult relationships with their parents and these Are just some of the Joys that Independent living can bring and it was All part of the purpose and vision of John Robertson when he founded the Marathon in 1979. Dale Kendel acl executive director said there have been More than 347 projects funded with the approximately $4.12 million raised since 1979 by the Manitoba Marathon which has assisted More than 1,800 people. Back in West Kildonan Bronstein and her room mates Are gearing up for Marathon Day when they will participate in the great West life super run or the free press 10k walk. Misko a gout has flared up so he a Day to Day As to whether hell be at the Start line. I a just Loving it. I go every year in the 10k walk. Its healthy Burns off calories Bronstein said. My dad in to going this year health reasons. So i will walk for and if it Rains i a not going to melt like sugar she said laugh ing. with and includes ? picture listing in Friday s complimentary automotive showcase Interior exterior carwash ? classified word and on from Jet car Wash saturday & sunday value $13.75 ? 7 Day internet picture and on complimentary for Sale sign you can email your and and picture to or we can take your picture for you. Dauphin reels Over loss of movie House theatre gutted by fire citizens suffer withdrawal by Bill Redekop d Dauphin ? a City with out a Cinema is like Well Popcorn with nothing on it. So say movie buffs in Manitoba a ukrainian heartland who saw their last movie House Burn Down in May. The Dauphin theatre formerly the Gay theatre before the name took on other connotations succumbed to what was believed to be an electrical fire. The theatre still used a projector from the 1930s, and a Light ing source called a Carbon arc system ? like two welding rods making Contact to produce the White projector Light. We had to keep buying rods. Every night you a go through $15 Worth of rods said Rod Sucholas who helped manage the theatre in the past year. They also needed a projectionist on hand to change the reel every 17 minutes. In modern the Atres reels Are spliced together and one person basically baby sits a half dozen projectors at a time. The Dauphin theatre had gone through some hard times but was in the midst of a revival under new operators Eugene Melnychenko and Yuri Genik. I remember watching movies there in the Early 1990s. In the Winter to save Money they did to turn the heat on until about 15 minutes before the show. You had to Wear your ski Doo suit just to watch a movie said Bayne Balchen a local resident and owner of a Survey company. But movies like the matrix reloaded still packed in the younger set and the passion of Bill Redekop / Winnipeg free press Sucholas left and Melnychenko operated Dauphin theatre. The Christ brought out the More mature audience. Dauphin was also part of some thing called the film circuit run by the Toronto film festival that distributed Independent and for eign films to Rural movie the Atres. The theatre got about 80 people out for the films in the 134-seat theatre. Its up in smoke now. Rural cinemas have been rav aged by time aging audiences and Vars and did players. There is no guarantee anyone will build a movie House Here 320 Kilometres Northwest of Winnipeg. Balchen is outspoken about dauphins need for a Cinema. The nearest Cinema is in Clear Lake 65 Kilometres away. If a movie theatre in to up by the time my daughter is six she a three years old now id have to move out of town said Balchen. He grew up going to the Cinema to watch Tarzan and sin bad movies and would to want his child not to have the same experience. I would to Call a place a City unless it had a movie theatre. Its a major source of entertainment. You know ? dinner and a movie a place for teenagers and Young adults and hopefully Middle aged Melnychenko retired said he ran the theatre for something to do. I just enjoyed an evening out going to a movie he said. He in to interested in financing another theatre. City Council would like to see local mall owners build a movie theatre said mayor Alex Paul. Most everything boils Down to Money he said. The Dauphin chamber of com Merce is initiating a fact finding study into the viability of a movie theatre. Dauphin has a population of about 8,000. The surrounding pm of Dauphin has about 2,500 Resi dents. Refugee claimant jailed following alleged attack Paul Jordan spokesman for the Forks said the by Bruce Owen immigration department has been a tenant in the building for about 11 years and there has never a 49-year-old cuban Man who has claimed refugee been a problem with Security until now. The John status in Canada is being held at the heading Ley correctional Institute after he allegedly attacked two immigration enforcement officers a month ago. The alleged attack occurred May 18 at an Immi Gration hearing two Days after the Man showed up at the Canadian Border port at Sprague in South Eastern Manitoba and declared he was seeking Asylum. He was taken into custody and was appearing at a detention hearing when he apparently went berserk attacking the two officers and then threat ening to kill them and a third officer. One of the officers was Hurt seriously enough to be excused from work. Winnipeg police say the Man was restrained and put into a car to be taken to the Winnipeg remand Centre but he kicked out two rear passenger win Dows. City police charged him recently with the May offences and he was then transferred to heading Ley jail. Federal officials say they can to comment on the Case because of the mans refugee status. They say Federal privacy Laws restrict them from discussing the alleged attack and its safety implications. Sources say the suspect became combative at the Federal immigration and refugee Board hear ing room at the Johnston terminal at the Forks a Public building known for its shops and restau rants. I Brief italians Host mayoral forum the italian Canadian Community of Winnipeg is hosting a Public mayoral forum today Between 3 . And 5 . The event will be held at the Cen Tro Cabot Centre on 1055 Wilkes ave. Suspicious death leads to arrest ramp in Portage la Prairie have arrested a 19?year-old Man in connection with the suspicious death of another Man on Dakota Plains first nation Early yesterday morning. Const. Dan toppings said the 59-year-old Vic Tim died following an altercation during a House party on the Reserve. An autopsy would be conducted to determine the cause of death he said. The name of the Vic Tim was withheld pending notification of family. Opp Lay manslaughter charge Ontario provincial police have charged a Man with manslaughter in the death of his two month old baby boy. The Opp began an investigation last december following a report of a Domestic disturbance at a Home on Pikangikum first nation 100 Kilometres Northwest of red Lake. The baby Kendall Terilyn Sug Gashie was found unresponsive and attempts to revive the child were unsuccessful police said yesterday. Chris Turtle 30, of Pikangikum first nation has been charged with manslaughter and is scheduled to appear in court in Kenora tomorrow Ston terminal is managed by mar West manage ment. Mar West spokesman Randy Cameron said the Federal department has since asked for a closer parking stall to the building to reduce the distance enforcement officers have to escort people in Cus Tody. The Public was never at risk Cameron said. This Guy was handcuffed the whole Melissa Anderson spokeswoman for the Immi Gration and refugee Board said the Forks hearing room is considered a satellite office that is not frequently used As compared to others in Calgary or Vancouver and does not require full time Security measures. By Law the suspect had to have a detention hear ing within 48 hours of his showing up at the Bor Der crossing. The Board ruled he should be detained for another seven Days at which Point he allegedly became hostile. Immigration officials have decided to keep the Man in custody. Officials Are trying to determine whether the mans claim for refugee status is valid. If its rejected at any stage of the application process hell be sent Back to Cuba. Jorge Castenada Lopez has been charged with one count of mischief under $5,000, three counts of uttering threats to kill and two counts of assault. ;