Winnipeg Free Press

Friday, July 28, 2006

Issue date: Friday, July 28, 2006
Pages available: 78
Previous edition: Thursday, July 27, 2006

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions

Logos

About Winnipeg Free Press

  • Publication name: Winnipeg Free Press
  • Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
  • Pages available: 78
  • Years available: 1872 - 2025
Learn more about this publication

About NewspaperArchive.com

  • 3.12+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to One of the World's Largest Newspaper Archives!

Start your Genealogy Search Now!

OCR Text

Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - July 28, 2006, Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada Winnipeg free press Friday july 28, 2006a15 Relief troops Start taking Over in Afghanistan Cpl. Jason Patrick Warrens father Mother and sister watch As his coffin is carried to Hearse. Soldiers bodies arrive in Trenton Gomez were officially returned Home. Back to Kandahar from fighting in Hel by Lauren la Rose Gomez a brother Cpl. Richard Mand province West of the Southern Gomez and sister in Law Sara Gomez afghan City. Cab Trenton ont. ? bagpipes were at the ceremony As were Warrens eight soldiers were also injured. Played a solemn tune and the Sun set parents Gerald and Debora sister Cpl. Gomez was a native of Edmonton on cab Trenton last night As a grow Rachel Warren brother Steven sister unmarried and had no children. War singly familiar repatriation ceremony in Law Jolene and Grandfather . Ren was a native of Quebec City and was conducted for the two Canadian Gagnon who is a retired brigadier Gen was also single. Soldiers killed last week in Afghanistan. Eral. It was the sixth repatriation Ceredo gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean defence the soldiers were killed saturday by at cab Trenton in the last five minister Gordon Oconnor and chief after a suicide bomber detonated a car months and the two men were the 18th of the defence staff Gen. Rick Hillier filled with explosives beside their Bison and 19th Canadian soldiers killed in stood alongside family members As the armoured vehicle which was at the Tail Afghanistan since 2002. Remains of 29-year-old Cpl. Jason War end of a Large military Convoy. Ren and 44-year-old Cpl. Francisco the soldiers were making their Way ? Canadian press by Ethan Baron k Abul ? Relief for the 2,300 War weary canadians who have battled the Taliban in Afghanistan for the past six months begins today As another deployment of troops gets underway in Earnest. About 50 replacement soldiers have already arrived but the main rotation begins today and will take about a month to Complete said Canadian Mil itary spokesman major Marc theri Ault. Its spread Over a month so we can maintain our capacity Theriault said. As soldiers arrive at the main base at the Kandahar air Field they will be paired up with soldiers whose jobs they will be taking Over to learn by their sides. Its amazing the experience that these people have developed in the last six months and that a what we Don to want to lose Theriault said. For gunner Maricel Mercado who works on the Crew firing Canadas Large 155-millimetre artillery the six months has been a process of assimilation into the predominantly male Cul Ture of fighting troops. The first week of the tour i had my own tent said Mercado from Shilo Man. I had privacy. In the end every ones just sharing one tent. Its like they re my soldiers from the Royal Canadian regiment will make up the bulk of the troops replacing the soldiers serving now who come mostly from the Princess Patricia a Canadian Light infantry. Eleven Canadian soldiers including two whose bodies returned Home yesterday and a Canadian Diplomat have been killed in Afghanistan this year. Overall command of the Canadian forces in Southern Afghanistan will also change moving from the coalition forces command to the nato led International Security Assis Tance Force Isaf on monday. Meanwhile poor Mountain weather is being blamed for a helicopter crash in Eastern Afghanistan that killed at least 12 people. Americans on Board at least two american civilians were on Board a coalition spokesman said. Two dutch soldiers from the nato led International Security assistance Force for Afghanistan were also on the aircraft military authorities said. Investigators believe the helicopter on the Way from Kabul to a provincial reconstruction team base in Khost hit the Side of a Mountain. The Isaf members were on their Way to a Security meeting. It is believed the helicopter was also carrying members of a South african Security company. We made every Effort to quickly reach the downed aircraft with Hopes of saving some or All of the passengers and Crew . Benjamin Freak Ley a coalition commander said in a statement. Unfortunately there were no ? can West news service ;