Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - July 30, 2006, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Winnipeg free press sunday july 30, 2006 top news a3 assault in Campground teen critical 2 groups in feud at Wasagaming
whether a weapon was involved. By Ian Hitchen w the nature of his injuries and How they were inflicted form part of our Wasagaming ? a 16-year-old investigation and the investigation is Saskatchewan youth is cling ongoing Saunders said adding a radio ing to life in Hospital after report describing the incident As a Stab being assaulted at one of the provinces Bing was mistaken. Most Scenic and popular campgrounds. He said the two groups did not know police were called to the Wasagaming each other prior to the weekend. Saun Campground in Riding Mountain nation Ders would not comment on what might Al Park just after 6 . Have motivated the yesterday. Assault but said both ramp spokesman sgt. The nature of groups were drinking. Steve Saunders said the its believed the Inci teenager was injured his injuries and Dent happened about 3 during a feud Between . Two groups of campers. How they were police weren to notified three Manitoba men Are until the youth turned up inflicted form in custody but no charges at Minnedosa Hospital. Have been Laid. Saunders would to com part of our there was a dispute ment on How the youth Between two groups of investigation got to the Hospital other campers and in the Dis than to say it want by ? ramp spokesman Pute a 16-year-old suf ambulance. Sgt. Steve Saunders feed life threatening police tape blocked injuries Saunders said. Access to a campsite yes the boy was taken to Hospital in Ter Day evening As Yellowhead ramp Minnedosa and then transferred to the members of the Brandon and Winnipeg health sciences Centre in Winnipeg major crimes services and the Dauphin where he was listed in critical condition. Forensic identification service were Saunders would to elaborate about the investigating. Altercation or the boys injuries or say the Campground is the largest of five in the Park with about 500 Sites. Campers in the area said there was loud music coming from the site Friday evening. A group of Winnipeg residents who said they were camped Between the feuding Sites awoke to a popping sound and screaming in the Middle of the night. They did to dare stick their Heads out from their tent and did to see what happened. One woman in the group said she believes the popping sound was some one damaging a truck and heard some one yell that he a been struck with a log. I heard one Guy Yelling that he got hit Over the head the woman said. They were saying that they just went and smashed part of the the Winnipeg campers who were caught in the Middle of the feud were asked to move from their site yesterday afternoon by investigators. They were surprised to learn that a teen had been seriously injured. That a crazy said a Man with the group. Francois Duclos a spokesman for the Park about 250 Kilometres Northwest of Winnipeg said its an unfortunate Inci Dent. Duclos said normally campers Are Well behaved and there has to been a serious assault in years. He said there wheat boards future is on the line
o Ottawa ? if the future of one of Winnipeg a few remaining head offices was on the line would you care if the Fate of that corporate head quarters could be influenced by a looming Federal appointment what would you want Ottawa to do and if the provinces regional minister could push for that appointment to go to someone from Manitoba who would at least be sensitive to the economic value of that head office what would you expect Vic Toews to do Welcome to the guessing game involving the Winnipeg based Canadian wheat Board Cwb and the politics at play As Stephen harpers conservatives take at its defining characteristic. First some background for those of you whose interest in wheat and Barley is limited to the bread you eat and the Beer you drink. The Cwb is what a known As a sin Gle desk seller which Means its the Only marketer of wheat and Barley grown in Western Canada. That monopoly muscle not Only makes the Board one of the biggest players in the global Grain Market but also allows it to get the Best possible Price for Prairie producers. But the conservatives promised Dur ing the election Campaign to open up the Cwb and allow for dual marketing. The tories say their Campaign commitment is about giving Farmers Choice and last week they made Clear they Are not about to Back Down. Most others say dual marketing is a death sentence for the wheat Board. You can see How this is about to get really interesting. Now to the question of the appoint ment Ottawa is about to make. The producer controlled Cwb which is no longer under Ottawa a thumb is governed by 15 directors. Ten Are elected by Farmers from Manitoba Saskatchewan Alberta and a wee Patch of British Columbia. Ottawa gets to appoint five directors. Two of the Cwb voting districts Span Manitoba giving the province a pair of directors. But of the five government appointments none come from Mani Toba. Some observers Hope Toews would use his Power and influence As a front Bench minister to convince Ottawa to pick someone from his province. One name bandied about As an Ideal Manitoban to join the Board is former Premier Gary Filmon. Of course one single appointment is not going to Lead to either the Cwb a salvation or its demise. But consider what will happen if wheat Board min ister Chuck Strahl puts in someone simply to do the conservatives bid Ding to make sure that dual marketing Campaign Promise becomes reality to in effect serve As his boardroom spy. How will the Board function How could it Ever plan to exercise its Auton omy under legislation to push Back against the tory Campaign vow the conservatives can Point to the fact the electoral map of the West is overwhelmingly painted tory Blue and Farmers went to the polls on Jan. 23 knowing full Well what the conserva Tives had promised to do to the Cwb. But those same Farmers have also repeatedly voted in Cwb Board elections to Send single desk advocates to Winnipeg to serve them. Claiming that the Jan. 23 vote gives them a mandate to Force dual Market ing Down Farmers throats would be a dangerous move for the tories. In fact Dauphin Swan River Marquette conservative my inky Mark announced last week he wont support his party in its dual marketing fight because his constituents Are in favour of the Board. I be always backed the folks at Home first Mark told the Brandon Sun. If there Are changes to be made they should be made by that kind of grassroots thinking was the basis for a 1998 overhaul of the Cwb that put its control squarely in the hands of those who actually Harvest the wheat and Barley the Board Sells to the world. Come to think of it grassroots thinking used to be the mantra of Many of those maps Strahl and Toews included who now sit on the government Side of the commons. But i digress. Much has been made about How the tories Are More in tune with main Street than Bay Street. And if that a the Case then maybe Strahl Toews and whoever lands on the Board As the tories first appointment will also Bear in mind the Impact of the Cwb Are bans on alcohol during certain week ends at the Park but this was not one of them. In 2003, a 38-year-old Man died after getting into a fight with another camper during a Rowdy weekend at Hausa provincial Park which featured drunk enness and loud music. David Demare died after he was punched in the face several times. A 23-year-old Man was charged with manslaughter but a jury was unable to reach a verdict. The accused a lawyer argued that his client acted in self defence. ? Brandon Sun with files from David Kuxhaus building on Winnipeg a main Street. Its Home to More than 460 employees and a $142-million payroll. Appointing a Manitoban to the Board would at least give those in the key Stone province someone other than Toews to yell at if the tories forge ahead without the support of Farmers to kill the Cwb and close the doors on another Winnipeg head office. Paul Samyn is the free press National reporter. His email is
;