Winnipeg Free Press

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Issue date: Thursday, August 3, 2006
Pages available: 68
Previous edition: Wednesday, August 2, 2006

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions

Logos

About Winnipeg Free Press

  • Publication name: Winnipeg Free Press
  • Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
  • Pages available: 68
  • Years available: 1872 - 2025
Learn more about this publication

About NewspaperArchive.com

  • 3.12+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to One of the World's Largest Newspaper Archives!

Start your Genealogy Search Now!

OCR Text

Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 3, 2006, Winnipeg, Manitoba A14 world Winnipeg free press thursday August 3, 2006 Fidel Castro a lifetime full of close shaves leftists. A few Days after the Moncada assault a lieu by Vanessa Arrington during his University Days in gangster Ridden tenant named Pedro Sarria sent to capture the Havana Castro a political activities against the attackers found Castro asleep on the floor of a h Avana ? when Fidel Castro was 10, he dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista were risky peasant hut in the Hills above Santiago. Nearly died of appendicitis. Since then he enough that he began carrying a gun. The lieutenant recognized Castro but kept his has survived military assaults and even on july 26, 1953, Castro launched what Many identity from patrols that might have killed him. Poisoned cigars and milkshakes. Now two weeks would later Call a suicidal attack on the Moncada and instead of delivering him to the Moncada bar shy of his 80th birthday surgery has sidelined military Barracks in Cuba a Eastern City of Santi Racks where the army was torturing and killing the Leader of Cuba a revolution. Ago. His comrades Sarria put Castro in a City jail where after a life filled with near death experiences though it became the symbolic Start of the the presence of journalists made it Tricky for the intestinal bleeding that forced Castro to hand cuban revolution the assault failed miserably. Authorities to make the rebel Leader Over Power and undergo a complicated surgical after a series of surprises and miscalculations despite Early brushes with death Castro con operation May be one of the closest Calls yet for Castro called off the Mission ? and was almost tinted to take risks. The True survivor. Left to fend for himself according to Santiago his after an amnesty freed him from prison he a statement attributed to Castro on tuesday Torian Manuel Pevida. Formed a rebel army in Mexico then returned to said he was in Good spirits but made Clear his con All of a sudden he was All alone just standing Cuba on a crowded yacht that nearly Sank in a edition was touch and go. I cannot make up Posi there in the Street in front of the Barracks said storm. Tive news he was quoted As saying. Pevida also a communist party official. Every the vessel named grandma landed in the wrong the current crisis follows a lifetime of close one in his group had left but those in the final car spot and of 82 rebels aboard Only 12 survived shaves. Realized he want with them and turned Back and the Landing and initial skirmishes with Batista a in april 1948, Castro joined throngs in Bogota picked him forces in december 1956. In Battles in the Eastern Colombia to protest creation of the organization in All 61 comrades were killed in the assault or mountains of the Sierra Maestra Castro came of american states. The rioting spun out of con the ensuing crackdown. Close to capture several times. Tool and the 21-year-old Castro took Refuge in the Good Luck seemed to consistently accompany ? associated press cuban embassy As the army began Hunting Down the Young Castro. Ukrainian politics Sushchenko agrees to nominate foe Yiv Ukraine ? ukrainian president Viktor Sushchenko said today he is nominating his former foe Viktor Yan Ukovich for prime min ister insisting the decision will help unite the divided country but acknowledging it might cause confusion. The decision puts an end to four months of political uncertainty sparked by elections in which no party won a majority. Sushchenko made the announcement in an Early morning address two hours Viktor Yan Ukovich after the constitutional dead line formally passed for him Yan Ukovich premiership to decide on Yan Ukovich a would be a betrayal. Candidacy. He said the Deci initially the three parties Sion was made after that backed the 2004 protests Yan Ukovich agreed to sign a against Yan Ukovich selection memorandum on National put together a coalition. But Unity that preserves the pres it fell apart when the social ident a foreign and Domestic its defected. Yan Ukovich policies. Scooped up the socialists and i ask people to understand the communists to form a that we have a unique Chance majority which put him for about which we talked on Ward to be Premier. Independence Square about the president said he was which we dreamed aware his decision might be Sushchenko said referring unacceptable to some to 2004 mass protests which ukrainians. Followed Yan Ukovich Selec the president also had the Tion to the presidency and led option of dissolving the leg to his ouster. Slature and calling new elec Sushchenko said the move tons but that threatened to was a Chance to unite both simply prolong political sides. Paralysis into the new year. The March election in whatever decision the which Yan Ukovich a party president makes it would not won the most votes rein have been accepted by part forced deep divisions of the population or it will Ukraine. The russian speak cause some misunderstand ing East which looks to Ings Sushchenko said. Moscow strongly backed but i think that now is the Yan Ukovich. But Many in the very moment when we must ukrainian speaking West and unite Central Ukraine warned a ? associated press tsunami Alert system in place Bali Indonesia ? a tsunami warning system is now in place for Indian Ocean countries but experts said yesterday there is still room for improvement in methods to convey the alerts to coastal communities. A tsunami that killed 600 people in Indonesia two weeks ago exposed some shortcomings in a system still being built after the dec. 26, 2004 disaster that killed almost 217,000 people in a dozen Indian Ocean countries experts at a in backed meeting said. Two International agencies issued warnings that the pow Erful sub sea earthquake on july 17 could spawn destructive Waves crashing into Java a Southern coasts. But indonesian officials in the capital Jakarta did not pass them on to local communities in time. The system is Only As Good As the response Joseph Chung of the uns International strategy for disaster reduction said after the three Day meeting to assess Progress on the $142 million can Indian Ocean tsunami warning and mitigation system. Patricio Bernal executive Secretary of the uns intergovernmental oceanographic commission described last months disaster As very Nineteen months after the 2004 carnage 23 monitoring stations have been put in place in the Indian Ocean to quickly measure the strength of underwater quakes and assess the tsunami threat. That information is sent to the Hawaii based Pacific tsunami warning Centre and the japanese meteorological Agency which then relay it to individual countries at risk. Bernal said an assessment must be conducted to determine areas and populations that Are most vulnerable. Then he said local officials must draw up plans for their area such As How to involve police or military and whether to install loudspeakers. You have to have a real Down to Earth plan on How to do it he said. There a no Way that the Central authority can do Indonesia Pakistan and Iran Are especially vulnerable to tsunamis because they Are near tectonic fault lines meaning Waves can slam into coastlines within minutes of a quake. ? associated press ;