Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - October 09, 2008, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C m y k Page a5 Winnipeg repress. Com top news Winnipeg free press thursday october 9, 2008 a 5
"
# $ % & / % /0 1 % $ % 2# 3 # ,. 0 $ % 2 % $ 0. #4 1 $ 0. # 5 5
h Anover school division trustees have suspended six Grade 12 students in Steinbach until at least feb. 3 for a hazing and alleged physical assault with paddles on three Grade 10 students last month. Hanover trustees met behind closed doors in Steinbach on tuesday night to decide the Fate of half a dozen Grade 12 students suspended for the sept. 18 hazing incident. Superintendent Ken Klassen said the division did not release a formal statement wednesday until he had contacted the parents of the six students. He said the division would have no further comment. Trustees will decide in february whether they will allow the students to return for the second semester. In a statement released late wednesday afternoon the Hanover school Board said with recommendation from administration and after much deliberation the Board of trustees of the Hanover school division has decided to suspend six Sass Steinbach regional secondary school students responsible for the hazing and alleged physical assault of 3 Grade 10 students. The suspension will be in effect until the end of the first semester with return to semester 2 classes on feb. 3, 2009, upon successful completion of a reentry program and a threat assessment. An offsite alternative education program will be put into place. Hazing and physical assault is not acceptable and the Hanover school division will seek to ensure that such an event will not repeat itself. Our response will include a combination of education restorative Justice prevention and disciplinary measures with support being made available for those affected by this event. Klassen said that Hanover was issuing a tement because the hazing had become Public knowledge but the division normally does not discuss student discipline. Were not going to be doing interviews on this he said. The six students and their families had the right to meet individually with the school Board. Klassen said earlier that any appeals to trustees would be scheduled separately to avoid local Media and other residents from being Able to identify any students who came to the Board office. The students directly involved in the hazing were suspended in late september. In addition four bystanders who admitted that they purposely went to watch the hazing were suspended for five Days Klassen said. The incident happened sept. 18, off the school grounds but during school hours Klassen said. The victims were lured into leaving a welcoming Barbecue for Grade 10 students. It was a paddling. There were three victims Klassen said. There were six people actively involved. Klassen said the six Grade 12 students included both boys and girls while All the victims were male. He said the suspended students lured the younger students away from the Barbecue meant to Welcome students new to the grades 10 to 12 school. We heard about it through a Parent who called after which some students also came Forward Klassen said. Sgt. Line Harpish said wednesday that Steinbach ramp still have the incident under Active investigation. The Board would like it to Stop. This is not characteristic of the school or the division Klassen said. Schools have largely stamped out hazing but occasionally incidents still occur. Educators consider hazing to be both physical assault and humiliation for younger students and have responded with lengthy suspensions sometimes of at least one semester and have turned the incidents Over to police for possible criminal charges. Nick. Martin free press. My. Ca school division throws Book at students 6 High schooners get suspended for hazing by Nick Martin brother can you spare a dime for Manitoba ass progressive conservatives the party under Leader Hugh Mcfadyen took a big step towards the unknown wednesday when it said it would opt out of a new political party funding scheme passed into Law this week. By doing so the party turns Down about $ 800,000 in funding Over the next few years while the nip will collect about $ 1 million and the liberals about $ 260,000. The upshot is Mcfad yens opposition tories now have their hands out for voluntary donations of any size to help them try to upset the doer government in the next provincial election oct. 4, 2011. At a noon hour rally of party faithful Mcfadyen said the decision was an unanimous one in his caucus even though it puts him and the party behind the 8 Ball to raise enough Cash to get tory Las re elected and win More seats. We cannot let the part yes interest come before the interests of Manitoban Mcfadyen said adding the threat of a worsening Economy sealed the tory decision. The economic circumstances have changed he said. Voting should be free in a democratic society. It should not come with a charge. The tories decision came a Day after Bill 37 came into Law in a 31 15 vote. The elections finances amendment act gives each Manitoba political party $ 1.25 per vote. The intent of the Bill is to remove special interests from party financing. Ottawa has a similar plan at $ 1.95 per vote. Mcfadyen said to bring in the vote tax Law now in the Middle of so much economic uncertainty is a slap in the face to people who Are watching retirement savings evaporate and worried about losing their jobs. Mcfadyen said he waited to make his stand until after the the Bill was passed so he could see what the final version looked like. Bill 37 was introduced Back in May. Premier Gary doer said Mcfadyen and his party Are grandstanding. If they want to take a principled position give Back the Money they took in the 2007 election doer said. Bruce. Owen free press. My. Ca woman assaulted a Winnipeg woman was seriously sexually assaulted Early wednesday morning near a North end schoolyard. Police said the woman was attacked Between 5 a. M. And 6 a. M. Near Victory school in the 300 Block of Jefferson Avenue. The woman was forced to a secluded area and sexually assaulted. The victim fled and called police. She suffered non life threatening injuries. Investigators Are searching for a Man in his 20s, described As Metis in appearance Between 5 foot 8 and 5 foot 10, with a medium to Large build and dark hair. He was wearing dark clothing. Anyone with information is asked to Call the Winnipeg police service sex crimes unit at 986 6245 or crime stoppers at 786 tips 8477. Journalist honoured the University of Manitoba will honour journalist Nahlah Ayed and business executive and human rights activist Gail Asper with honorary degrees at this months fall convocation. Two sessions of fall convocation at u of m will be held on oct. 29 and 30, both at 3 30 p. M. Nahlah Ayed is the Csc to news correspondent in Beirut. Born and raised in Winnipeg she graduated from the u of m with a bachelors degree in genetics and a masters degree in interdisciplinary studies. Ayed was nominated for a gemini award for her television coverage during the Iraq War. She has reported from around the Middle East covering major events such As the assassination of former lebanese prime minister Rafiq Hariri the Afghanistan conflict and landmark elections in Egypt and saudi Arabia. Gail Asper is president of can West global foundation and managing director of the Asper foundation. She obtained her bachelors and Law degrees from u of m. A Well known Canadian philanthropist and supporter of the arts Asper is perhaps Best known for spearheading the creation of the Canadian museum for human rights to be built at the Forks in Winnipeg. Provincial tories in Brief say no to funding decision will Cost conservatives $ 800,000 by Bruce Owen Hugh Mcfadyen looking for donations a 05_ oct 09 08. Ind a5 10/ 8/ 08 8 44 31 pm
;