Winnipeg Free Press

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Issue date: Sunday, June 17, 2012
Pages available: 32
Previous edition: Saturday, June 16, 2012
Next edition: Monday, June 18, 2012

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions

Logos

About Winnipeg Free Press

  • Publication name: Winnipeg Free Press
  • Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
  • Pages available: 32
  • Years available: 1872 - 2025
Learn more about this publication

About NewspaperArchive.com

  • 3.12+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to One of the World's Largest Newspaper Archives!

Start your Genealogy Search Now!

OCR Text

Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - June 17, 2012, Winnipeg, Manitoba C M Y K PAGE A3 E DMONTON - The security guard wanted in a deadly armoured car heist at the University of Alberta was arrested at gunpoint at the border between British Columbia and Washington State on Saturday evening, with more than $ 300,000 in cash in his truck. The takedown of Travis Baumgartner, at the Lynden, Wash., border crossing southwest of Abbotsford, B. C., brought to an end a 36- hour manhunt - at least 11 of which the murder suspect must have spent on the road. Mike Milne with U. S. Customs and Border Protection said a computerized licence- plate reader scanned the back of Baumgartner's truck and an armed- and- dangerous alert sounded. Officers approached the truck and took him into custody without a fight. " A search of the vehicle revealed an excess of over $ 300,000 in Canadian currency," Milne told The Canadian Press. " The final number is still to be determined there." Milne added no weapons were found on Baumgartner or inside the truck. Employees at the nearby duty- free shop said they watched part of the arrest from their front window. A worker who would only give her first name, Adrienne, said she saw two border patrol vehicles with lights flashing and officers standing outside with their guns drawn. She said she didn't hear any shots fired. Nobody in the store knew what it was about until a reporter called. " It's pretty scary," she said. " Luckily nothing here happened." Police had been looking for Baumgartner since early Friday when four guards with G4S Cash Solutions Canada were gunned down, three of them fatally. Police said earlier Saturday they had received no tips on his whereabouts and their search had spread internationally. Baumgartner apparently didn't switch vehicles during his time on the lam. The 21- year- old was found driving the same dark blue Ford F- 150 in which police believe he left Edmonton, with his mother's Alberta licence plate on the back. Edmonton police Sgt. Dave Reitzel said Baumgartner was alone when arrested. Insp. Bob Hassel released a statement extending his gratitude to those involved in the arrest. " We're grateful to the border officials at Lynden, Washington, for their excellent work in arresting a man we believe was armed and extremely dangerous," he said. A news conference was planned for this afternoon. Police have said Baumgartner was the fifth member of an armoured car crew that was reloading bank machines at a university mall and residence building where the shooting happened. An armoured car was found after the shooting halfway across the city, not far from the G4S depot. It was running and had its lights on when discovered by police. Baumgartner is facing three counts of firstdegree murder and one count of attempted murder. Officials were on the way to pick up the prisoner and his pickup truck and bring them back to Edmonton, police said. Eddie Rejano, Michelle Shegelski and Brian Ilesic have been identified as the guards who died. Matthew Schuman was still listed in critical condition Saturday. G4S thanked police in a news release. " We applaud the dedication of the Edmonton Police Service and other law enforcement agencies in apprehending Travis Baumgartner today," said spokeswoman Robin Steinberg. " Our thoughts remain with the families and friends of the victims and also with the Baumgartner family. " We will continue to co- operate fully with the Edmonton Police Service, while conducting our own detailed investigation into the incident." Baumgartner lives with his mother, Sandy Baumgartner, in Sherwood Park, a bedroom community just east of Edmonton. She had released a statement during the manhunt pleading for her boy to turn himself in " to end this without further bloodshed." Details that have emerged about Baumgartner's life are contrasting. Friends say he had designs on being a police officer, but settled into a job with G4S a few months ago after deciding he didn't have what it takes for law enforcement. In an online dating profile, he says he is a " great guy" who is laid back and has a " 10" physique. But his Facebook page is much darker, quoting the anarchist Joker from the movie Dark Knight and musing about " popping people off." While police searched for him Saturday, details continued to emerge about his colleagues. Rejano, 39, also aspired to be a police officer and was a competitive target shooter who worked a second job as a gun range officer at the Wild West Shooting Centre at West Edmonton Mall. " He liked the aspects of protecting individuals and taking care of the community," said Yanira Sale, a co- worker at the gun range. She added that can't believe the father of two young boys is gone. She keeps thinking he is going to walk through the door to start work. " It hasn't really sunk in," she said. " It's pretty shocking and the manner in which it happened has affected us the most. It should never have happened." Shegelski was 26 and had recently married. Her husband, coincidentally, is a student at the University of Alberta. Brian Ilesic was 35 and had a 12- year- old daughter. - The Canadian Press A3 SUNDAY, JUNE 17, 2017 NEWS LOCAL MICHELLE Shegelski, one of three security guards killed during an armouredcar heist in Edmonton Friday, was the daughter- in- law of Lac du Bonnet's Roy and Henrietta Shegelski. The couple reportedly left the community Friday to join their son, Victor, in Alberta. Lac du Bonnet Mayor Greg Short was shocked when he learned the news Saturday morning. " I know Victor's parents - they're very nice people," Short said. " This is the first I've heard of it, and I'm truly, truly sorry." Short said the Shegelski family had several relatives serving in the military, including Victor, who recently returned from Afghanistan. Both Roy and Henrietta are retired, though they sell antiques, Short said. " Any time this happens to anybody, it's a tragedy," said the mayor. Killing shocks town's mayor O TTAWA - Airports across Canada are being wired with high- definition cameras and microphones that can eavesdrop on travellers' conversations, according to the Canada Border Services Agency. A CBSA statement said audio- video monitoring and recording is already in place at unidentified CBSA sites at airports and border points of entry as part of an effort to enhance " border integrity, infrastructure and asset security and health and safety." As part of the work, the agency is introducing audio- monitoring equipment as well. " It is important to note that even though audio technology is installed, no audio is recorded at this time. It will become functional at a later date," CBSA spokesman Chris Kealey said in a written statement. But whenever that occurs, the technology " will record conversations," the agency said in a separate statement in response to questions from the Ottawa Citizen . At Ottawa's airport, signs will be posted referring passersby to a " privacy notice" that will be posted on the CBSA website once the equipment is activated and to a separate help line explaining how the recordings will be used, stored, disclosed and retained. Already, though, the union representing about 45 CBSA employees at the airport is concerned personal workplace conversations and remarks could be captured and become part of employees' official record, Jean- Pierre Fortin, national president of the Custom and Immigration Union, said Friday. He added the union only learned of the audio- recording development this week, after reporters began making inquiries. The recording equipment may also be linked to a federal initiative to help CBSA combat organized crime and internal smuggling conspiracies at big Canadian airports. A 2008 RCMP report said at least 58 crime groups were believed active at major airports, typically by corrupting airport employees or placing criminal associates in airport jobs to move narcotics and other contraband to and from planes. The Customs Act was amended in 2009 to allow for the creation of " customs- controlled areas" within airports, starting with those in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, followed by Ottawa and other international Canadian aerodromes. A crucial aspect of the change are proposed regulations giving border- services officers expanded powers to question, examine and search airport workers and travellers, both domestic and international, within the designated areas. The controlled areas at Ottawa's Macdonald- Cartier International Airport include the areas surrounding aircraft that have arrived in or are about to leave Canada; the primary inspection area where all travellers must report to a border- services officer; the secondary inspection area where border- services officers conduct further examinations of travellers and goods; as well as certain holding and departure areas at the airport. The Treasury Board requires government departments to conduct a " privacy- impact assessment" before establishing any new or substantially modified program or activity involving personal information. The assessment is then reviewed by the Office of the Privacy Commissioner. The office this week said it is reviewing a CBSA privacy assessment for the customscontrolled areas. But, " we have not received a privacy- impact assessment regarding audio- video monitoring at the Ottawa airport," said spokeswoman Valerie Lawton. " If the CBSA were to introduce audio- video monitoring, our office would expect a full privacy- impact assessment, which we would review and make ( non- binding) recommendations as necessary to protect privacy." An official with the Ottawa International Airport Authority had no comment on the CBSA installations, saying the two organizations are distinct and separate. - Postmedia News Be careful what you say at the airport Audio devices to catch conversations By Ian MacLeod Michelle Shegelski: Family in Manitoba Memorial flowers are left at the operations offices of G4S, a security company in Edmonton following the shooting deaths of three of its employees on Friday. A suspect in the shootings, fellow guard Travis Baumgartner ( above, in handout photo), was arrested on Saturday. IAN JACKSON / THE CANADIAN PRESS Manhunt ends at border Armoured car heist left 3 dead; suspect in custody A_ 03_ Jun- 17- 12_ FP_ 01. indd A3 6/ 16/ 12 11: 57: 09 PM ;