Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - June 17, 2012, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A4
For this and other
great offers visit
winnipegfreepress. com/ A& L
Cinematheque
Enjoy one complimentary
admission when a second
admission is purchased.
NEWS CANADA I WORLD A4 SUNDAY, JUNE 17, 2012
M ONTREAL - The two Quebec sisters
found dead Thursday night in a Thailand
hotel room were well- known and
popular in their hometown of Poh�n�gamook,
Que., a rural area of 3,000 near the Maine
border, the local mayor said.
Sisters Audrey and Noemi Belanger, 20 and
26, were victims of an apparent poisoning at
the southern Thai resort of Phi Phi Island,
Thai police say.
" They were two brilliant young girls, very
involved in the community," Mayor Louise
Labonte said Saturday.
She said they were always active in town
events and worked in a grocery store owned by
their father, Carl.
She said the sisters attended the local high
school, �cole secondaire du Transcontinental,
where Labonte was a librarian. The school has
about 250 students.
The young women were studying at Universit�
Laval.
Claudette Levasseur, a waitress at Restaurant
du Moulin, said Noemi had worked for
her when she was in charge of the municipal
beach.
" She was always smiling, in good humour.
They were both energetic, helpful. Everyone
here is shaken. It's given us all a chill."
The Belanger sisters were found in their
room by a hotel maid.
Both had a mysterious rash and discoloured
nails.
The deaths evoke two similar and unsolved
deaths three years ago on the same resort
island where two women, an American and
a Norwegian, were found poisoned in their
adjoining rooms. There were signs of vomiting.
Their companions also became ill but
survived.
The island is a popular holiday spot for
young people where bars stay open until dawn
and binge drinking out of " buckets" is said to
be a popular pastime.
Claude Rochon of the foreign affairs media
office in Ottawa refused to disclose any information
other than to say, " Our thoughts are
with the family and friends of the Canadian
citizens who passed away in Thailand."
She added, " Canadian consular officials in
Bangkok are providing consular assistance
to the family and are in contact with local
authorities."
According to the Thai newspaper Phuket
Gazette , the sisters checked into the hotel
Tuesday.
They planned to stay only one night but later
asked to extend their visit through Wednesday
night.
The paper quotes one Thai police officer saying
the sisters arrived at the hotel Tuesday and
" went out and came back to their room that
same night, but stayed in their room all day on
Wednesday."
The sisters were found Thursday after a
maid became concerned they were not responding
to her knocks.
" A maid knocked on the door to clean the
room on Thursday, but there was no response,
so the maid thought the women needed more
rest and left," a police officer said.
Thursday evening the maid tried again.
When she got no response, she grew concerned
and used a master key to enter the room where
she discovered the bodies. The hotel alerted
police at 9 p. m.
" We rushed to the hotel with medical officers
from Koh Phi Phi Hospital and a rescue
team," police told the newspaper.
Police also said the young women had skin
lesions, had been bleeding from the gums and
their fingernails and toenails were blue.
Police told the newspaper the women died 12
to 20 hours before their bodies were found.
- Postmedia News
Canadians dead in Thailand
Poisoning
suspected
in deaths of
Quebec sisters
By Paul Delean
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - The death of Saudi
Arabia's Crown Prince Nayef bin Abdul- Aziz
on Saturday means - for the second time in
less than a year - the key western ally must
pick an heir to the 88- year- old King Abdullah,
who has already outlived two designated
successors. Nayef, who was named the kingin-
waiting in November, had been out of the
country since late May, when he went on a trip
described as a " personal vacation" that would
include medical tests. He travelled abroad
frequently in recent years for tests, but authorities
have never given details on any ailments.
Who was the crown prince?
Prince Nayef was the interior minister who
spearheaded Saudi Arabia's fierce crackdown
that crushed al- Qaida's branch in the country
after the 9/ 11 attacks. He was in his late 70s.
He had a reputation for being a hard- liner and
was seen as close to the powerful Wahhabi
religious establishment that gives legitimacy
to the royal family.
His elevation to crown prince after the death
of his brother, Prince Sultan, had raised worries
among liberals he could roll back the modest
reforms of King Abdullah if he reached the
throne.
Nayef had expressed reservations about
some of the reforms by Abdullah, who made
incremental steps to bring more democracy to
the country through municipal elections and
increase women's rights. Nayef said he saw no
need for elections in the kingdom or for women
to sit on the Shura Council, an unelected advisory
body to the king that is the closest thing to
a parliament.
In 2009, Nayef promptly shut down a film
festival in the Red Sea port city of Jiddah,
apparently because of conservatives' worry
about the possibility of gender mixing in
theatres and a general distaste toward film
as immoral. The anti- militant campaign also
boosted Nayef's ties to the religious establishment,
which he saw as a major tool in keeping
stability and preventing the spread of violent
al- Qaida- style " jihadi" theology. The Wahhabi
ideology that is the official law in Saudi Arabia
is deeply conservative - including strict
segregation of the sexes, capital punishments
such as beheadings and enforced prayer times
- but it also advocates against al- Qaida's calls
for holy war against leaders seen as infidels.
His top concern was security in the kingdom
and maintaining a fierce bulwark against
Shiite powerhouse Iran, according to U. S.
Embassy assessments of Nayef.
" A firm authoritarian at heart," was the
description of Nayef in a 2009 embassy report
on him, leaked by the whistleblower site
WikiLeaks.
" He harbours anti- Shia biases and his world
view is coloured by deep suspicion of Iran,"
it said. " Nayef promotes a vision for Saudi
society under the slogan of ' intellectual security,'
which he advocates as needed to ' purge
aberrant ideas' " and combat extremism, it
added, noting his was in contrast to Abdullah's
strategy emphasizing " dialogue, tolerance of
differences and knowledge- based education
that is objectionable to many conservatives."
Who is the likely successor as
crown prince?
Nayef's brother, the 76- year- old Prince
Salman, is widely expected to be selected as
crown prince by Saudi Arabia's Allegiance
Council, an assembly of sons and grandsons
of the country's first monarch, the late King
Abdul- Aziz.
Salman is the current defence minister and,
like Nayef, a son of the country's founding
monarch. For more than four decades, Salman
was governor of Riyadh, the country's capital.
Analysts believe he shares many of Nayef's
conservative views and is unlikely to challenge
the religious establishment if made king. But
he also has played more of a mediator role in
Saudi politics while in charge of the Riyadh
region. There has been an impression that
Nayef is more conservative because he was the
guy dealing with threats and terrorism as interior
minister and Salman was meeting with
businessman and intellectuals as governor of
Riyadh," said Sami al- Faraj, director of the
Kuwait Center for Strategic Studies.
" The reality is there is very little difference.
Both are conservative and won't rock the
boat," he added. " Nayef was just a behind- thescenes
guy and Salman is more public. One
was implicit; the other explicit."
What does this mean for the
future?
Until now, the successor has been chosen
from the sons of King Abdul- Aziz, but the
deaths of two crown princes mean the Saudi
leadership can turn to a younger generation,
his grandsons, and put them in positions to
groom them as potential rulers. This would
mark an important shift in Saudi affairs by
acknowledging the country is moving toward a
new era under the stewardship of a generation
raised with deeper western connections and
understandings.
It's still unclear, however, whether Nayef's
death will bring about the shift to put a younger
member of the royal family in a traditional
role as No. 3 in line for the throne. Among the
possible contenders mentioned include King
Abdullah's son, Mitab, the head of the National
Guard, and Nayef's son, Mohammad, a senior
official in the interior ministry.
What are the issues ahead for
Saudi Arabia?
Saudi Arabia is the main Arab rival to Iran
and is deeply worried about Tehran's nuclear
program.
Iran insists it does not seek nuclear weapons,
but Saudi officials and their western allies fear
the country could develop a nuclear arsenal
and significantly shift the balance of power
in the region. One possible outcome could be a
regional nuclear arms race with Saudi Arabia
also seeking atomic weapons.
Saudi Arabia is also facing Arab Spring- inspired
internal pressures for political reforms
and greater openness.
King Abdullah has pledged billions of dollars
to create more state jobs and offer other
government- backed programs to try to appease
calls for change.
Neighbouring Bahrain, meanwhile, has become
a central issue for Saudi Arabia since a
Shiite- led uprising last year against the ruling
Sunni monarchy. Saudi forces led a Gulf military
intervention to help prop up the dynasty
in the strategic island nation, which is home to
the U. S. Navy's Fifth Fleet.
Saudi Arabia is now leading efforts for closer
union with the country that would effectively
unify key policies such as security and foreign
relations. More than 50 people have died in
Bahrain's unrest since February 2011.
- The Associated Press
Saudi Arabia faces questions
after death of its crown prince
By Abdullah Al- Shihri
SAKCHAI LALIT / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS ARCHIVES
A photo of Phi Phi Island in Thailand, where two Quebec sisters were found dead in their hotel room by a maid on Thursday.
HASSAN AMMAR / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS ARCHIVES
Crown Prince Nayef bin Abdul- Aziz
AN RCMP officer's gun was stolen
in Winnipeg and later recovered by
the Winnipeg Police Service.
" Public safety is the RCMP's
primary concern. I can confirm an
RCMP firearm was stolen in the
City of Winnipeg and the matter was
promptly reported to the Winnipeg
Police Service," said RCMP Sgt.
Line Karpish.
" Since the offence occurred
in Winnipeg and the WPS is the
police of jurisdiction, we are not in
a position to comment to maintain
the integrity of their investigation,"
Karpish said.
" The RCMP is fully collaborating
with the WPS," she said. " An
internal review - unrelated to the
WPS investigation - into the matter
has been initiated to ensure that our
policies were followed."
WPS said Saturday city police had
recovered the weapon, but did not
have any other details.
- staff
Gun recovered; police not talking
A_ 04_ Jun- 17- 12_ FP_ 01. indd A4 6/ 16/ 12 10: 17: 11 PM
;