Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - June 19, 2012, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A4
A 4 WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, TUESDAY, JUNE 19, 2012 TOP NEWS winnipegfreepress. com
620 KING EDWARD ST. ( AT ELLICE) 885- 0155 . 942- 1630
TUESDAY - SATURDAY 10- 5
www. changesbydesign. ca
25- 50% off
Lampe Berger Fragrances
& Bottles
Easy Scent 60% off
Wildly Delicious 60% off
Accessories 60% off
W E O V I N G F I N A L W E E K
S A L E
SRP: 1680 NOW $ 600
CHAIR
SRP: 965 NOW $ 250
CHAIR
DINING TABLE
SRP: 3500 NOW $ 999
Reclaimed Railway ties
SRP: 1099 NOW $ 450
CHAIR
DINING CHAIRS
L A M P S L A M L A BOOKCASES
NG T
Rail
BARSTOOLS
L AMPS
DESKS
DINING TABLE
( as is) $ 200
Solid wood
M ONTREAL - Luka Rocco
Magnotta quietly left Canada
last month as a little- known porn
actor and prostitute with a penchant for
self- promotion on the Internet.
He returned in a military plane Monday,
his hands and feet shackled during
the flight. Armed guards watched as he
disembarked, a media helicopter buzzing
overhead. He was escorted down
into a police convoy and whisked away
to face charges including first- degree
murder.
During his month- long European sojourn,
Magnotta became the suspect in
a crime so brutal it made him the target
of an international manhunt; the longtime
attention- seeker was apparently
reading news stories about himself when
arrested in a German Internet caf�.
He arrived back in Canada just before
7 p. m. Monday.
A convoy of vehicles with flashing
lights rolled out to meet the 29- yearold
suspect at Mirabel airport, north of
Montreal. A half- dozen men escorted
him down the stairs off the plane, onto
the tarmac, and into a minivan at the
centre of a convoy that included motorcycles
and police vehicles.
Armed guards monitored the transfer,
at least one of whom carried an assault
weapon. Magnotta was seen wearing
handcuffs when he landed, and his
feet had also been bound during the
flight.
His fellow passengers on the military
transport aircraft included officials
and law enforcement from Canada
and Germany. Police said there was no
trouble at all from the passenger wearing
running shoes, a pale green T- shirt
and shackles.
Authorities said they were grateful
the federal government had made a
military plane available for the extradition.
" How can we bring him back to
Montreal on a commercial flight with
other people sitting on board?" said
Montreal police Cmdr. Ian Lafreni�re,
when asked about the use of a federal
transport plane.
" For very extraordinary cases, we do
have to take some extraordinary measures."
Police said Magnotta could face a
judge as early as today. It was unclear
whether his Montreal court appearance
would be in person or by teleconference,
they added. Local investigators
were planning to start interrogating
him Monday night.
As the gory case moved back to
Canada, authorities in Germany were
breathing a sigh of relief.
" We are glad that he's gone," said
Martin Steltner, a spokesman for
Berlin's prosecutor's office, on Monday.
"( There's) a lot of trouble in this
case."
The stomach- churning details of the
Montreal slaying, and the subsequent
international police search, whipped
up a storm of media interest around the
world.
Magnotta was arrested in a Berlin Internet
caf� after Montreal police issued
a warrant for his alleged connection to
last month's killing and dismemberment
of Montreal university student
Jun Lin.
- The Canadian Press
Accused killer Magnotta
back on Canadian soil
By Andy Blatchford
OTTAWA - Canada's top doctor says he has a
" summer of rehab" ahead of him as he eases back
to work following a stroke.
Dr. David Butler- Jones, head of the Public
Health Agency of Canada ( PHAC)
and the face of the government during
public health emergencies, said
he was " never completely off" work
after suffering a small stroke in early
May because his judgment and reasoning
were never compromised. But
he's now ramping up his hours at the
office - and feeling very lucky as he
gets set to juggle work with physical
rehabilitation.
" I've been increasing the amount of
time over last couple of weeks to get
into a more regular routine. I still have some leftsided
weakness, so I use a cane, which helps a lot,
and good thing I didn't choose dance as a career,"
Butler- Jones, 58, said in an exclusive interview
Monday.
" I feel incredibly fortunate, actually, that it
wasn't worse."
A professor at the University of Manitoba's
faculty of medicine, Butler- Jones was appointed
Canada's first chief public health officer in September
2004 in the wake of the deadly SARS outbreak.
He is the government's chief spokesman
and key co- ordinator during any national foodborne
disease emergency and infectious- disease
outbreak. Had such an emergency flared up in
the early weeks after his stroke - when he was
" quite limited" in his time and energy - he would
have had to abdicate to senior agency executives.
Such an internal protocol is in place if Butler-
Jones, who travels extensively as
head of PHAC, is unreachable when
a public- health emergency erupts in
Canada.
" I would have been really frustrated.
When something like that happens,
for better or worse, I want to be
in the middle of it. Watching it happen
would really frustrate me," said
Butler- Jones, who emphasized he's
always watched his risk factors but
has a " bad family history."
His father, who, like him, never
smoked, had his first stroke in his early 50s. His
grandfather, a smoker, died of a heart attack at
age 49.
" So it's not the best family history and all the
more important in watching risk factors and for
people to pay attention," said Butler- Jones.
" It's a humbling reminder, once more, how
mortal I am and how quickly a small infarct in
the brain can make a big difference in people's
lives."
- Postmedia News
Butler- Jones ready for
rehab after minor stroke
By Sarah Schmidt
TORONTO - Police are searching for a suspect
after a fatal daylight shooting outside a gelato
shop in Toronto's Little Italy neighbourhood,
where dozens of soccer fans had gathered to
watch a European Championship game.
Toronto EMS confirmed one person was pronounced
dead at the scene and another was
sent to a nearby hospital with non- life- threatening
injuries.
Toronto police Const. Wendy Drummond said
reports of gunshots came in at about 3: 30 p. m.
Monday at the Sicilian Sidewalk Cafe.
Police are looking for a suspect described as
six feet tall with blond hair. He was wearing
a white hard hat, a safety vest and a white filter
mask and was seen running north from the
scene.
The shots rang out as soccer fans had gathered
to watch Italy play Ireland in a game that sent the
Italian team into the Euro 2012 quarter- finals.
Drummond urged the crowds of soccer fans spilling
out of the area caf�s following the game to
respect the crime scene.
A woman who lives in an apartment above the
caf� said she heard the shots and ran to the window.
From there, she watched as throngs of people
fled while a woman and her son - a young man
somewhere between 16 and 24 years old - stood
in front of the patio and frantically called out to
someone inside.
" They were clearly yelling to whoever was in
there," said Louisa, who did not want her last
name used.
" The son was pretty hysterical, yelling ' Dad,'
over and over again. There was a guy screaming
down there as well, but I couldn't see him because
he was under the awning."
Local television images showed one injured
man being transported on a stretcher to a nearby
ambulance.
Meanwhile, just a few streets away, soccer fans
- unaware a shooting had occurred - continued
to party, coming out of bars and onto the street as
music blared.
Nadine Tyshynski, who works at a nearby pet
store, said she heard the shots and then saw a
woman fleeing down the street while screaming
in distress. She was being escorted by another
person.
" It's a real family neighbourhood," said Tyshynski.
" In the middle of the day. It's shocking."
- The Canadian Press
Fatal daylight shooting in T. O.
Amid festive gathering
to watch soccer game
David Butler- Jones
Cold front blows in at G20 Summit
THEY may have been in Mexico, but there was an evident chill between
U. S. President Barack Obama and Russian President Vladimir
Putin, Monday at the G20 Summit in Los Cabos. While both leaders
agreed Syrians should choose their next government, the unending
bloodshed in the Mideast country - and Putin's refusal to call for
the ouster of President Bashar Assad - hung over the talks.
Temperature rises over Europe's crisis
EUROPE'S debt crisis remained front and centre at the G20 talks,
even after Greek voters elected a government that intends to keep
Greece in the 17- member bloc of countries that use the euro. One of
Europe's most important politicians lashed out at world leaders -
including Harper - who have been lecturing the continent on how
to get its economic house in order. " Frankly, we are not coming here
to receive lessons ( on) how to run an economy because the European
Union has a model that we may be very proud of," European Commission
President Jos� Manuel Barroso said at a news conference.
Canada hot for trade talks
PRIME Minister Stephen Harper was in a good mood at the G20 talks
Monday. Harper gave a vague answer when asked if Canada will join
the Trans- Pacific Partnership, a deal many believe will have more
economic strength than the North American Free Trade Agreement.
" We're delighted that Americans and others have indicated an interest
in seeing Canada join the Trans- Pacific Partnership. I think for now
I'll just leave it at that."
- from the news services
THE CANADIAN PRESS / HANDOUT
Luka Magnotta is taken by police from a plane to a van in Mirabel, Que., Monday.
CAROLYN KASTER / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Does his face say it all? Barack Obama and Vladimir Putin speak to the media in Los Cabos, Mexico, Monday, during the G20 Summit.
A_ 04_ Jun- 19- 12_ FP_ 01. indd A4 6/ 18/ 12 10: 20: 09 PM
;