Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - June 19, 2012, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A5
winnipegfreepress. com TOP NEWS WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, TUESDAY, JUNE 19, 2012 A 5
O TTAWA - A new research project to test the impact
on lakes and rivers of one of the fastest- growing substances
in the marketplace is on hold while the Experimental
Lakes Area program sits in limbo.
The news is among the latest developments as the lobby
effort to save the ELA from government cuts continues.
The Manitoba and Ontario governments are joining forces
to try to convince Ottawa to change its decision, or at least
delay the cuts, which would potentially close down the only
research facility in the world performing experiments on
entire lakes.
The ELA is a series of 58 lakes near Kenora, along with
40,000 square feet of federally owned lab space and housing
facilities for researchers.
Last year, the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research
Council of Canada granted Trent University $ 750,000 to do
a three- year study on the impact of nanosilver on an entire
lake.
Nanosilver is a tiny particle found in more than 300 consumer
products, including clothing, bug spray, kids' toys
and bandages. Chris Metcalfe, director of the Institute for
Freshwater Science at Trent, said nanosilver will be in more
than 1,000 products within a few years.
Nanosilver has antibacterial and anti- odour qualities,
which is why they are added to things such as athletic gear,
socks and underwear.
Early lab tests found they have a negative impact on natural
bacteria, fish, shellfish and algae. Metcalfe said the
NSERC grant was to take the lab
tests out onto a small lake in the ELA
to find out what the impact is on an
entire aquatic system.
" You can't do that kind of work in
the lab," he said.
He said the research on nanosilver
has the potential to have the same impact
on consumer products as recent
ELA research that changed policies
to remove phosphorus from soaps.
" Trillions of dollars are going to
be made on nanomaterial products,
so let's take a step back and spend
a few dollars on seeing what the environmental
impacts will be."
Last month, the federal government
announced it is pulling its $ 2 million in funding for
the ELA next April. A spokeswoman for Fisheries Minister
Keith Ashfield said the department is " currently exploring
options regarding the transfer of the site and hope to complete
the transfer by the spring of 2013."
" Our goal is to make sure that important work can continue
to be conducted at the site by another party that will
benefit from it," said Erin Filliter.
However, Diane Orihel, founder of Save ELA, said the government
hasn't responded to any of the letters or concerns
raised by those trying to save the ELA.
" As of today, we have not received any response from the
government," she said.
Orihel said the March 2013 deadline is " completely unrealistic."
The Manitoba and Ontario governments agree. On June
5, Manitoba Conservation Minister Gord Mackintosh and
Ontario Environment Minister Jim Bradley wrote jointly to
Ashfield and federal Environment Minister Peter Kent, urging
them to delay the cancellation of ELA funds.
Mackintosh and Bradley suggested five federal departments
- Fisheries, Environment, Natural Resources, Health
and Agriculture - jointly fund the program and that they
form a committee with provinces and universities to develop
a five- year research agenda for the site.
Mackintosh would not say whether Manitoba is willing to
put any money on the table to save the program. The ELA is
located in Ontario but the scientists and the administrators
who work for it are all based in Winnipeg.
Asked several times, he would only say Manitoba's No. 1
goal is getting the decision either reversed entirely, or at
least deferred for an extra year.
mia. rabson@ freepress. mb. ca
The man who died from injuries received in
a fight Saturday afternoon was trying to help
his brother, witnesses said.
Winnipeg police would not name the victim
but he was identified on Facebook as Marlin
Gray, 36, of Swan Lake.
Gray was visiting family in Winnipeg, at a
Manitoba Housing complex in the Maples, at
1391 Fife St. There was a confrontation between
two groups in an inner courtyard.
" It happened all of a sudden; it was over so
quick," a witness who asked not to be identified
said. " He was trying to help his brother."
The witness said Gray was attempting to
calm the situation, lowering his arms to his
side, when he was punched and collapsed,
striking his head.
" It was one shot and he went straight down
and hit the concrete," the witness said. " There
was blood coming from his mouth and he was
twitching. It was bad."
Gray was carried into his sister's unit, from
where police were called.
"( His sister) screamed, ' I'm calling the
cops,' " the witness said. " Everyone scattered
after that. No one hung around because the police
were coming."
On his Facebook page,
Gray's wife, Melanie, posted
that he died at 2: 30 a. m.
Monday. " I just watched my
husband take his very last
breath," wrote Melanie Gray.
Marlin Gray is Winnipeg's
16th homicide for 2012.
At a Monday- morning
news conference, police said
the investigation is continuing
and there have been no
arrests. However, Melanie
Gray posted that police told
her they had three suspects in custody.
The witness said Gray was attacked by a
man who doesn't live in the complex, adding
the attacker and his friends were frequent
visitors.
" Both ( Marlin Gray and his brother) are
pretty standup guys who would obviously help
each other out no matter what it was about,"
another witness said.
Another complex resident said she was
shocked by the killing, adding she considered
the complex safe.
" I just left at 12: 30 p. m. ( Saturday) and
everything happened after that but I was surprised
to hear about it when I got back," Shelley,
who would not give her last name, said.
Another resident said fights are common
in the complex but no one has been seriously
hurt before.
" I was at work and my kids called me; there
was a fight outside," a resident said. " I told
them to close the doors and stay inside."
Winnipeg police spokesman Const. Jason
Michalyshen would not provide details of how
the man died.
Michalyshen said the death happened after
there was a " physical assault," adding later
drugs and alcohol may have been factors.
Michalyshen said it appears the confrontation
began inside one of the units and then
spilled outside.
" There may have been some weapons
present during the altercation, however, I'm
not aware that any weapon... was used during
the assault," he said.
aldo. santin@ freepress. mb. ca
gabrielle. giroday@ freepress. mb. ca
I N 1982, Dianna Evangeline was a 21- year- old
waitress who decided to prove she had the
right to work without enduring sexual harassment.
She fought all the way to the Supreme Court of
Canada to win her point. But the battle was costly
both in the psychic scars that come when you're
considered prey and in the
enduring legacy of being a
pioneer in a fight good girls
didn't have. She broke off
relations with her family,
changed her last name and
left the country.
Monday morning, Evangeline
celebrated her 51st
birthday by speaking
publicly about her battle for
the first time. She told attendees
at a national human
rights conference her decision to file a sexual
harassment claim with the Manitoba Human
Rights Commission led to harassing phone calls,
estrangement from friends and the understanding
things had spiralled beyond her control.
" I felt that I was 21 and washed up," she said
Monday. " I had a good cry and then I decided to
fight. It was never in my nature to walk away."
Evangeline was a university student living on
her own, paying the bills and supporting herself.
She took on a waitressing job at the now- defunct
Pharos restaurant. It was an ideal fit because she
could schedule work around her classes.
Soon after she started, the chef fondled her,
looked her in the eyes and smiled. She went
home, sickened. It happened again and she complained
to her boss. She stopped wearing makeup
at work, wondering if somehow the continuing
abuse was her fault.
" By going back, shift and shift, I knew it wasn't
my fault but I felt that way regardless."
After her complaint to the owner, the fondling
stopped but the chef started deliberately ruining
her orders. Her tips fell off. She complained
again but was told she needed an attitude adjustment.
Evangeline quit. In 1983, she filed the complaint
with the Manitoba Human Rights Commission
against the company that owned Pharos.
Her courage, and that of another waitress at the
restaurant, eventually led to a 1989 Supreme
Court of Canada ruling that sexual harassment in
the workplace is a form of discrimination.
She said when she testified she had to use
words she'd " never said out loud" to describe the
physical and verbal abuse.
Evangeline was awarded damages but never collected.
It wasn't about money, she said. It was the
principle of changing something that was wrong
and fighting for the women who couldn't quit.
She said she has finally stepped into the spotlight
because she once vowed if she lived long
enough, she'd do something more for the human
rights battle. She was greeted like a rock star at
the conference, something that confounds her.
It took a long time to get her life on track after
the legal battles. She finished her degree but
never got into a groove. She waitressed here and
there.
" The confidence and the bright, shiny future
just disappeared."
She now works as a financial analyst for the
Winnipeg Regional Health Authority and just
finished her certified management accountant
designation. She also has two children, ages 18
and 20. When she disclosed what she calls her
" footnote" role in history, they told her those
battles continue.
" They've had their own experiences," she said.
And that's where the hard part comes in.
Dianna Evangeline had the courage to step
forward. So many women of that generation, my
generation, put up with the same sort of abuse.
We were young, we were female and we were
powerless. But her courage, and the resulting
change in human rights legislation, didn't end
harassment. It simply clearly defined it as wrong.
We already knew that.
" So much has changed and some other things
haven't changed at all," she said. " I live every day
with the confidence we will get there."
Thirty years ago, she did her part. She's not
sorry.
" You can't have regrets. You don't get do- overs
in life."
lindor. reynolds@ freepress. mb. ca
Study on
booming
substance
on hold
Nanosilver research
frozen by ELA's limbo
By Mia Rabson
Woman's landmark harassment battle saluted
LINDOR
REYNOLDS
Man who died after fight was trying to help
Intervened to aid brother,
witnesses at scene say
By Aldo Santin and Gabrielle Giroday
' As of today,
we have not
received any
response
from the
government'
- Diane Orihel,
founder of Save
ELA
COLE BREILAND / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
Dianna Evangeline won in the Supreme Court.
Marlin Gray
WAYNE GLOWACKI / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
The water's fine for them
A female mallard duck leads a group of duckings on a morning swim at The Forks Monday. Humans won't feel much like swimming
in the next while, with Environment Canada calling for cloudy, rainy weather until Friday, which should see sunny skies
and a high of only 23 C.
A_ 05_ Jun- 19- 12_ FP_ 01. indd A5 6/ 18/ 12 9: 42: 33 PM
;