Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - June 22, 2012, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A6
A 6 FRIDAY, JUNE 22, 2012 MANITOBA winnipegfreepress. com
T H E B A Y . C O M
twitter. com/ thehudsonsbayco
facebook. com/ hudsonsbaycompany
Save $ 2400
$ 998 Reg. $ 3398
Save $ 400
$ 299 99
Reg. $ 699.99
Also
.. .. .. .. ..
All other regular- priced
and clearance- priced patio
furniture, accessories
and dinnerware
DISTINCTLY
HOME
OUTDOOR
Havana Aluminum
5- piece dining set
Great for condo living, small space or balcony.
Features a rust- resistant aluminum frame wrapped
in all- weather resin wicker. Chairs are stackable
for easy storage. Tabletop is 5 mm tempered glass
with an umbrella hole. Cushions and accessories
sold separately.
No rain checks and no price adjustments. Offer available while quantities last. Cannot be combined with other offers. Selection may vary by store. Savings are off our regular prices unless otherwise specified. See store for details. Special
Payment Plans are available on approved credit with your HBC ? MasterCard � or HBC Credit Card on the identified items. Not applicable in Quebec. If you default under your payment terms or under your HBC Account Agreement, then
the terms and annual interest rate are set out therein. The billing period covered by each statement will be approximately 30 days. For full details, go to http:// paymentplanhbc. com, call 1- 800- 263- 2599 or see a store associate. ? Hudson's
Bay Co., HBC, HBC Rewards, The Bay and their associated designs are trademarks of Hudson's Bay Company, used under licence. Credit is extended by Capital One. � Capital One is a registered trademark. MasterCard and the MasterCard
Brand Mark are registered trademarks of MasterCard International Incorporated. All trademarks used herein are owned by the respective entities. All rights reserved.
NO INTEREST
UNTIL JUNE 2014
On all mattresses when you
use your HBC ? MasterCard �
or your HBC Credit Card
Minimum purchase $ 499 ( excluding taxes). Delivery
charges and taxes are payable up front. Minimum
monthly payment required. On approved credit only.
No administration fee. See below for details.
3 DAYS ONLY
F R I DAY, J U N E 2 2 T O S U N DAY, J U N E 2 4
All other mattress sets by
SIMMONS, SEALY,
STEARNS & FOSTER
and MARSHALL
.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
Also up to
.. .. .. .. ..
SIMMONS
Beautyrest World
Class Obsession
pillow top queen
mattress set
Firm or plush comfort.
Twin to king sizes also on sale.
PLUS FREE LOCAL
DELIVERY ON ALL
MATTRESS SETS
See store for details.
To order by phone, please call 1- 888- 257- 6784.
Take
the Bite
Out of
Summer
601 Washington Ave.
925- 1030
www. slimlinesunrooms. net
SHOWROOM
WALMART CORRECTION NOTICE
Our flyer distributed on June 20 - 22 and effective
June 22 - 28: P. 7: Due to unforeseen circumstances,
the Next helmets at $ 9.48 may not be available in
all stores. P. 16: Due to unforeseen circumstances,
the shipment of the Boys' Innovative Tees
(# 30319475/ 6/ 7/ 8) was delayed. Stores should
receive delivery by Sunday, June 24.
We apologize for any confusion this may have
caused.
GRAND Marais parents whose kids
were involved in the infamous ' moose
droppings' canoe trip will be getting a
call from the superintendent today.
Just how much he'll be telling them
about the fallout is uncertain, but Lord
Selkirk school board chairman Bert
Skogan said Thursday the call will at
least involve news about private counselling.
And it could include word about
who will be principal at Walter Whyte
School in September, Skogan said.
One thing is certain, said Skogan -
superintendent Scott Kwasnitza will not
be saying anything about what, if anything,
trustees decided behind closed
doors to do about the three teachers
who supervised last month's trip, in
which two children were tricked by a
non- teacher adult chaperone into putting
moose droppings in their mouths.
Kwasnitza has previously said by the
time the second child put the moose
droppings in her mouth, all three teachers
were aware of what was happening.
" It is not discipline," Skogan said.
" He'll be contacting the parents before
noon. He'll do it by telephone."
Parents say a lawyer representing
several families asked the board Tuesday
to provide private counselling
services for the children on the trip at
board expense.
" To my knowledge, yes, that will be
provided," Skogan said.
Lawyer Murray Trachtenberg would
not comment about specifics Thursday,
because he addressed trustees behind
closed doors.
" We outlined to the board parental
concerns and certain things we believe
will be in the best interests of the
children," Trachtenberg said. " We will
be waiting of course to hear from the
board on Friday."
Parents say the principal - whom
the division has not confirmed to be one
of the three teachers on the trip - has
gone on leave for the rest of the school
year, and one of the other two teachers
will move to a different school in September.
Skogan said the division would not
be making public any personnel matters,
which is standard among school
divisions.
nick. martin@ freepress. mb. ca
O TTAWA - A federal fund that
helped municipalities buy equipment
to prepare for natural disasters
and other emergencies has been
quietly canned.
The Joint Emergency Preparedness
Program will be eliminated in 2013,
after more than three decades of existence.
Public Safety Minister Vic Toews
is also mothballing the Canadian Emergency
Management College.
" It's had a significant role to play,"
said Manitoba Infrastructure Minister
Steve Ashton.
He said the province is concerned
about the loss of the program and the
impact it will have on the ability of
communities to meet the needs of their
residents in times of trouble. The program
funded equipment, urban search
and rescue and critical infrastructure
projects at the municipal level.
The Public Safety Canada website
says the program was intended to " enhance
the national capacity to respond
to all types of emergencies and to enhance
the resiliency of critical infrastructure."
Toews's spokeswoman Julie Carmichael
said Thursday the program has
outlived its mandate.
" At this point, the capacity has been
enhanced and provinces are equipped
to respond to their jurisdictional responsibility
of emergency management,"
she said.
The program has spent more than
$ 170 million since 1980. Manitoba municipalities
have received $ 4.6 million
in the last decade. Manitoba is to get
$ 130,000 in 2012/ 13.
Most of the money goes to buy equipment
to help municipalities defend
against such events as floods and forest
fires.
Ashton said the college helped jurisdictions
learn from each other and create
national standards for emergency
preparedness.
The cut wasn't not mentioned in the
budget, however it was noted in a memo
from assistant deputy minister Gina
Wilson. Provincial ministers discussed
the cut at a recent joint meeting.
The memo says the cuts " will result
in a leaner, more efficient and effective
federal government engaged in the delivery
of its core business areas, which
these two programs are outside of."
A 2008 evaluation of the program
concluded there is a need for the federal
government to contribute to emergency
management at the provincial
and federal levels and the absence of
JEPP would " significantly and negatively"
impact emergency preparedness
at the community level.
mia. rabson@ freepress. mb. ca
' Moose
droppings'
case sparks
counselling
By Nick Martin
Feds nix forest fire, flood fund
By Mia Rabson
CRAIG MCGRATH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Bigger fish to fry
Free Press photographer Joe Bryksa shows off his catch at the
first- ever Fish Tales Media Day on the Red River Thursday.
A_ 06_ Jun- 22- 12_ FP_ 01. indd A6 6/ 21/ 12 7: 02: 33 PM
;