Winnipeg Free Press

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Issue date: Sunday, June 24, 2012
Pages available: 32
Previous edition: Saturday, June 23, 2012
Next edition: Monday, June 25, 2012

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions

Logos

About Winnipeg Free Press

  • Publication name: Winnipeg Free Press
  • Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
  • Pages available: 32
  • Years available: 1872 - 2025
Learn more about this publication

About NewspaperArchive.com

  • 3.12+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to One of the World's Largest Newspaper Archives!

Start your Genealogy Search Now!

OCR Text

Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - June 24, 2012, Winnipeg, Manitoba C M Y K PAGE B4 SPORTS BOMBERS B4 SUNDAY, JUNE 24, 2012 T HE clock started on Henoc Muamba when the Winnipeg Blue Bombers selected him with the first overall pick in the 2011 CFL draft. At the time of the selection, the club asked for some patience with the talented youngster, as it would take at least a season - maybe two - before he'd be ready to step into the middle of the defence and be the next great Blue and Gold linebacker. And after a 2011 season spent on special teams and a second training camp - one where he managed to stay healthy and challenged for time on defence - the 23- year- old is right on schedule. There's no urgency. This is how it's supposed to play out. " It's just a huge change from this year to last year," the six- foot, 230- pound Muamba said last week. " Coming back to a playbook that I'm familiar with makes a world of difference. " I was just trying to fit in last season. This time, I feel like I'm ready to contribute." The ceiling on Muamba is high. So high, in fact, the club decided to put him in battle with fellow Canadian Pierre- Luc Labbe for the starting middle linebacker position. Muamba is the physical specimen; Labbe is always in the right spot. The Bombers had yet to declare who won that battle, but that decision is expected to show itself at practice today. A popular premise says Labbe earned more time against first- team opposition and therefore the job is his, but that theory was blown out of the water when Clint Kent and Dorian Smith - who both played against opposition starters in the pre- season - were released Friday. Labbe, the Bombers' last pick and secondlast pick overall ( 47th) in the 2008 draft, put in his time behind Joe Lobendahn over the years, watching how the then- starting linebacker prepared for games during the week and how he made an impact when the bright lights came on. This season presents a unique situation for Labbe. If there is one player who will be instrumental in helping Muamba become an impact player, it's the 28- year- old. At the same time, he's not ready to just hand over the job. After getting a taste of being a defensive starter last season, Labbe dedicated himself to keeping the spot during the off- season. Personal trainers and nutritionists were added to his personal payroll, as was an English tutor to help him communicate more effectively on the field. Labbe understands his role in shaping Muamba. He also wants to play. " Of course I want to be in there," he said last week. " I've been waiting to play for four years. I think back to those days hoping to play, trying to get better behind Joe ( Lobendahn). He was such a positive influence on me. Never seen anyone work as hard as he does." Labbe then laughed. " I hope people say the same things about me." He should talk to his proteg�. " Pierre is one of the best professionals on this team," Muamba said. " No one works harder than him. I hear a lot of people talking about him not being athletic or anything like that, and that's just not the case. He knows how to get the job done at this level, which is something I'm trying to pick up from him." The St. F- X product is confident he can play now, and if he gets the call at some point - whether it's in the season opener against B. C. later this week or in a game in October - he feels he'll be ready to go. He couldn't say that truthfully last year. " At the end of the day, it's the coaches decision," Muamba said. " The competition with Pierre has been great. There's been a lot of intensity at our spot, which has made both of us better players." After taking the last three days off, the Bombers are back on the practice field this morning at Canad Inns Stadium. Winnipeg opens the 2012 regular season on Friday, when they travel to B. C. to take on the Lions. adam. wazny@ freepress. mb. ca Twitter: @ wazoowazny SATURDAY afternoon, the Bombers were sitting with a 54- man roster - eight more than the CFL allows. Saturday evening, prior to the 9 p. m. deadline, decisions on the final 46- man group were made and submitted to the league office. Announcements on those moves won't come until this morning, the club says. Then there's the matter of the practice roster, which can hold up to seven players. That, too, was under wraps, but there are some obvious front- runners for this list. Wideout Doug Pierce and running back Bloi- Dei Dorzon seem worthy of inclusion, while linebacker Terrell Parker already celebrated his P. R. spot on Twitter, telling his network he's agreed to join the taxi squad Saturday. And then there's the matter of the injury reports - don't forget about those. The team had to put those players deemed unfit to participate in Friday's season- opener against the B. C. Lions on either a one- game or nine- game reserve. Receiver Cory Watson ( hamstring), right tackle Andre Douglas ( hip) and linebacker Marcellus Bowman ( leg) come into the Week 1 practice schedule a little banged up, as do rookie offensive lineman Tyson Pencer ( shoulder) and running back Carl Volny ( still getting back from a knee injury). All or some are candidates to start the year in sick bay. HASH MARKS: It looks like former Bomber linebacker Clint Kent has landed in northern Alberta. Kent, who was with the club for two seasons and was a defensive captain in 2011, was released by the Blue and Gold Friday. He'll play for former Bombers defensive coordinator Kavis Reed, now the Eskimos head coach, in Edmonton. In other " one- time Bomber" news, the Hamilton Tiger- Cats released receiver Terence Jeffers- Harris Saturday. If you recall, the Ticats signed Jeffers- Harris on the eve of the Eastern Final after the Bombers cut ties with him. - Wazny Final cuts to be announced this morning By Adam Wazny Muamba right on schedule Brought along slowly, highly- touted LB now ready to factor in No. 1 draft pick working himself into position At s ix f ee t an d 23 0 pounds, Henoc Muamba looks just like a li nebacker is supposed t o. WAYNE GLOWACKI / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS B_ 04_ Jun- 24- 12_ FP_ 01. indd B4 6/ 23/ 12 9: 14: 31 PM ;