Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - June 26, 2012, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A6
A 6 TUESDAY, JUNE 26, 2012 MANITOBA winnipegfreepress. com
WITH THE GRAND OPENING OF BIRCHWOOD
KEYSTONE FORD, WE'RE CELEBRATING WITH OUR
SWEET
SIXTEEN
S A L E S E V E N T
SIXTEEN DAYS
SIXTEEN DOLLARS
SIXTEEN DEALERSHIPS
Birchwood
BMW
452.7799
MINI
Winnipeg
897.6464
Birchwood
Chevrolet
Buick GMC
837.5811
Birchwood
Honda On Regent
661.6644
Birchwood
Kia
667.9993
Birchwood
Hyundai
633.2420
Woodhaven
Toyota
889.3700
Woodhaven
Lexus
889.3700
Volvo
Winnipeg
452.0756
Land Rover
Winnipeg
452.8030
Birchwood
Nissan
261.3490
Birchwood
Infiniti
261.3490
Birchwood
Honda West
888.2277
Birchwood
Kia West
888.4542
Jaguar
Winnipeg
452.8030
Birchwood
Keystone Ford
661.9555
JUNE 2012
6
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 7 8 9
10 11 12 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
13
JUNE 14 TH
TO
JUNE 30 TH
Dr ive .. i .. awa .. !
birchwood. ca
VISIT ANY ONE OF
OUR 16 DEALERSHIPS
WHERE IF YOU HAVE
$ 16.00 YOU COULD BE
DRIVING AWAY IN THE
CAR OF YOUR DREAMS!
*$ 16 Drives it away is available on all purchase finance agreements for new and pre- owned
vehicles until June 30, 2012 at all Birchwood dealerships O. A. C. and available on new vehicle
lease finance agreements until June 30, 2012 O. A. C. at some Birchwood Dealerships on select
models. See individual Birchwood dealership for details.
BRATING ONLYFIVE
DAYS LEFT
FUTURE SHOP - CORRECTION NOTICE
NEWSPAPER RETRACTION FOR THE FUTURE
SHOP JUNE 22 CORPORATE FLYER
On the June 22 flyer, page 24, this product:
Haier 7.1 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer ( HCM071AW
- WebCode: 10166692) was advertised with
an incorrect size. Please be advised that the
freezer is in fact 7.1 Cu. Ft., and NOT 7.9 as
previously advertised. We sincerely apologize
for any inconvenience this may have caused
our valued customers.
W HEN he heard about the fire, he
drove out the next day to see
what remained of the MS Lord
Selkirk for himself.
But seeing the burned- out ship, set
ablaze last week in what police believe
was the work of arsonists, didn't make
him feel any better - the memories
run too deep.
" Seeing the scorched marks of its interior,
that's how that boat should look
to me," he said Monday. " I wanted to
get on that boat with a sledgehammer
and pound the s--- out of it."
The 50- year- old was one of 14 men
who stepped forward a decade ago to
tell police they had been sexually assaulted
on the boat as young boys in
the Lord Selkirk's heydays in the early
1970s.
Their stories led to the conviction of
former first mate Robert George Lemieux
in 2004.
Lemieux worked on the Lord Selkirk
in 1973 and 1974 before going east to
work on the Great Lakes. He preyed
on young boys during the summers the
Lord Selkirk sailed Lake Winnipeg by
offering them rides on his mini- bike or
free ice cream in exchange for sexual
favours.
Lemieux was sentenced to four years
in prison and died shortly after his release.
Police said a decade ago they believed
the victims who came forward
were just the tip of the iceberg.
" It was a horror show, for sure, and
more than we'll ever know," a former
investigator said.
The man, one of the first to come forward
a decade ago, said he's speaking
out again to let Manitobans know the
Lord Selkirk should not be portrayed
as a vital part of Manitoba history.
" A lot of lives, including mine, we're
affected by what happened on that
boat," he said. " One man caused a lot
of carnage."
The fire broke out last Tuesday and
took several hours to extinguish. RCMP
continue to investigate.
The boat is to be cut up for scrap.
" I have to deal with this for the rest
of my life and to think that I can forget
it and put it aside and never worry
about it again, that's a farce, that's a
myth, because you just don't," the man
said. " I turned 50 this year, but there
are days when I feel like I'm 10 again
because I can't keep it together."
bruce. owen@ freepress. mb. ca
THE Manitoba Securities Commission has reached a
settlement with one of the two outstanding directors
of the Crocus Investment Fund, bringing the nearly
eight- year- old saga one step closer to the end.
The regulatory body has come to terms with Ron
Waugh, an appointee of the provincial government,
who spent a total of just 79 days on the Crocus board
in late 2004.
" Unlike the other directors ( who settled last October)
he wasn't part of the group signing off on
the share- value certificates each week," said Doug
Brown, director of legal and enforcement at the MSC.
" That put him in a slightly different category."
The eight directors who settled last October admitted
to a number of allegations, including the fact that
even though they knew a significant devaluation of
shares was imminent, the board permitted sales and
redemption of shares at prices vastly higher than the
price that was being contemplated.
The sanctions against Waugh include trading restrictions
on securities until Oct. 1 except in his own
personal account.
The last remaining director is Robert Ziegler.
whose hearing dates will be set shortly.
" It is still possible there could be a settlement at
some point. Right now, nothing is imminent," Brown
said.
Crocus, once the darling of Manitoba's venturecapital
scene, ceased trading amid allegations of serious
errors with the valuation process of its investee
companies in December 2004. Since then, it has been
the subject of a scathing report from the auditor general
and a class- action lawsuit and was forced into
receivership.
According to the most recent quarterly report by
Deloitte, the longtime Crocus receiver, the fund still
has $ 7.2 million in cash and equivalents, accounts
receivable of about $ 3.8 million and its net carrying
value of the remaining investee companies is approximately
$ 8.4 million.
Last December, the receiver approved a $ 9- million
distribution to 33,500 long- suffering Crocus shareholders.
Two years earlier, the receiver approved a
distribution of $ 54.7 million.
geoff. kirbyson@ freepress. mb. ca
PEDESTRIANS will get a heads- up about how much time
they have to cross Portage Avenue and Donald Street.
This Wednesday, the City of Winnipeg will install a pedestrian
countdown signal at all four points in the downtown
intersection to indicate the number of seconds remaining to
cross the street. It's Winnipeg's first countdown signal and
is part of a pilot project to test the devices.
Traffic- signals engineer Michael Cantor said the devices
are mandatory at some intersections in the United States,
and other Canadian cities have also installed them.
He said Winnipeg traffic officials decided the downtown
intersection would be a good place to test the device, since
there is a high volume of foot traffic and it is close to the
MTS Centre.
" If you decide to start ( crossing) later, at least you know
how many seconds you have," Cantor said.
It costs up to $ 10,000 to install the devices at an intersection.
Cantor said the city plans to review feedback from a
survey at the downtown site and consider whether the devices
can be installed at other locations.
He said there are some technical challenges involved
in making the device a permanent fixture on city streets
since the new software in Winnipeg traffic- control signals
doesn't support the countdown system. Cantor said the city
will work to address this challenge.
MSC settles
with second- last
Crocus director
By Geoff Kirbyson
Winnipeg counts down
to countdown crosswalks
Ghost of child abuse haunts shipwreck
By Bruce Owen
PHIL HOSSACK / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS ARCHIVES
Firefighters stream water into the wheelhouse of the MS Lord Selkirk after it was set ablaze last Tuesday.
A_ 06_ Jun- 26- 12_ FP_ 01. indd A6 6/ 25/ 12 8: 13: 00 PM
;