Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - June 28, 2012, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A12
EDITORIALS
WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, THURSDAY, JUNE 28, 2012
Freedom of Trade
Liberty of Religion
Equality of Civil Rights
A 12
COMMENT EDITOR:
Gerald Flood 697- 7269
gerald. flood@ freepress. mb. ca
winnipegfreepress. com
EDITORIAL
M ANITOBA Hydro has been watching
its fortunes in the export market take
a drubbing for some time now, but
that has not swayed the Crown utility from an
aggressive schedule for expensive new dams
to boost generation. Now, as reported in the
Free Press yesterday, Hydro is forecasting its
export revenues over the next decade will fall
dramatically. Premier Greg Selinger needs to
ask an independent party to review the utility's
capital plans.
Those capital plans, including the Keeyask
and Conawapa generating stations, have shot
up, from $ 16 billion in
2008 to $ 22.5 billion
last year, according
to documents at the
Public Utilities Board.
Those costs, combined
with Hydro's
future export sales to
the northern states,
affect electricity rates
of Manitobans.
The information
brings into focus the
protracted dispute -
centred around the
demand by the PUB
to see export contracts Hydro has signed
with American customers - over the financial
health of the Crown utility. The PUB
believes Hydro understates the impact of a
changing export market on its revenues and
the effect on future electricity rates paid by
Manitobans. The corporation says the PUB's
method of calculating the future revenues
and expenses is disconnected from reality.
Hydro has now submitted forecasts that
show it expects to earn $ 1.1 billion less than
previously forecasted in the next decade
from export sales and $ 4 billion less over the
next 20 years. The declining returns result
primarily because the production of new,
cheaper natural gas from shale reserves is
depressing the export price for electricity.
The steep discounting of revenues into
the next decades is worrisome. Hydro used
to build dams to meet Manitobans' needs,
but the Doer administration speculated the
export market that once was a cash cow could
pay for new generation that would be needed
someday anyway. Contracts for long- term
supply are not so assured anymore and the
spot power market is looking pretty dismal.
Nonetheless, the Crown corporation is forging
ahead with plans to construct Keeyask
and the massive Conawapa. The PUB believes
alternative generation - turbines that use
natural gas - could meet future domestic
demand, allowing delay of Conawapa and the
construction of the new Bipole III transmission
line, saving billions of dollars.
The Clean Environment Commission is to
conduct a " Needs For and Alternatives To" review
on each dam before it is constructed, but
what Manitobans need is a review of Hydro's
capital plans in their entirety. The PUB has
previously suggested an independent panel
do just this. Premier Selinger should take the
revised revenue forecasts as the necessary
trigger for just such an inquiry.
I T is called the great divide and no time more
clearly demonstrates it than when over 80 per
cent of publicly educated Grade 12 students
proudly march across stages to receive their diplomas
in June.
While this compares to a paltry 30 per cent
graduation rate for on- reserve
students, the point is
not to bemoan this shortfall
but to applaud the Seine
River School Division for
doing something to turn
this situation around for
aboriginal students in
Manitoba.
Theirs is a model worth
studying.
Michael Borgfjord is the
Seine River superintendent
but he didn't start out that
way. He began his career as a teacher in northern
Manitoba where, he says, there were many days
when he felt like the student, given how much the
community was teaching him.
" It humbled me living on a reserve for four
years," he said.
It allowed him to see the inequity northern students
face on an ongoing basis.
Borgfjord is clearly passionate about seeing
aboriginal students succeed but he's more than
that. He is a game changer in our community and
he is already making a difference.
" We need to raise the bar and set it high, by not
only focusing on literacy but by tracking how our
kids are doing and using those results to further
improve what we do next," he said.
Ah, the word that makes so many educators
cringe - measure!
Yet that's at the core of the Seine River program,
turf where so few others dare to tread.
Each year, the province of Manitoba offers
grants to facilitate aboriginal academic achievement.
While divisions are required to report on
how their share of the $ 7.5- million province- wide
budget is spent, Seine River has chosen to base
its reporting on academic outcomes.
As Borgfjord describes it, Seine River has integrated
the use of its AAA grant into their wider
assessment strategy - a measurable approach
that ensures every single elementary student is
assessed on literacy.
Results are cross- correlated by age, grade level,
gender0 and by aboriginal self- declaration.
What the leadership team has learned so far is
fascinating.
Though they don't know all the reasons why,
what they have found so far is aboriginal and
non- aboriginal students perform roughly on par
with each other until around Grade 4.
After that, literacy rates - reading and writing
- for aboriginal students begin to falter.
In other words, not only did the Seine River
leadership team spot the fissure leading to today's
great divide, but they are doing something
about it.
With funds from the AAA grant, they hired
literacy specialists to target students who were
beginning to falter in Grades 5 and 6.
Not the usual type of aboriginal targeting
where those falling behind are tracked into " cultural
teaching," but a high- standards push on addressing
the core literacy challenges facing so
many disadvantaged students in Canada today.
Without question, aboriginal education is a
difficult thing to define. To some, it is synonymous
with special education, which means placing
identified students into " high risk" groups. This
harkens back to the streaming of ages ago when
the mantra was aboriginal children could only
learn with their hands and succeed in an environment
of their peers.
To others, aboriginal education means arts and
craft. Getting students to colour medicine wheels
or make dream catchers and often pulling them
from core literacy classes - the ones they most
need to succeed in mainstream Canada today.
By focusing on literacy and giving students access
to aboriginal content directly integrated with
Manitoba essential learnings for social studies,
and via the treaty education initiative, Michael
Borgfjord and the leadership team at Seine River
saw beyond the superficial approaches of medicine
wheels to outcome- based learning.
" In my opinion, we need to prepare all of our
students for a post- secondary world which is why
we have focussed on literacy," Borgfjord said.
" Sometimes, all kids need is a push to excel to
their full capabilities."
Borgfjord is being modest because he and his
leadership team are doing much more than that.
In setting high expectations for aboriginal students,
they're ensuring aboriginal students set
those same high expectations for themselves. For
this, they deserve far more than an A for effort.
James Wilson is commissioner of the Treaty Relations
Commission of Manitoba, a neutral body
mandated to encourage discussion, facilitate
public understanding, and enhance mutual respect
between all peoples in Manitoba.
B RANDON - In a city that has twice voted
against a casino in the past decade, why
would its city council be pushing ahead with
plans for a casino?
That's the question many Brandonites have
been asking themselves following the announcement
in mid- May the city has entered into a partnership
with Tribal Councils Investment Group
- a business organization representing almost
all of Manitoba's First Nations
- for the purpose of
building a casino in Brandon.
A strong casino supporter,
Mayor Shari Decter
Hirst refuses to call a third
plebiscite on the issue. " We
don't have plebiscites on
whether Maple Leaf is coming
to Brandon, or whether
the Royal Bank should expand
its facilities on 18th
Street," she argues. " This
is a business decision."
Though Decter Hirst has assured Brandonites
the casino issue would be dealt with at the council
table, the casino partnership was announced
without prior public discussion or vote by city
council. It is not the only issue to be managed in
such a murky manner by Brandon's elected representatives.
Over the past several months, a number of important
initiatives - including unbudgeted spending
commitments totaling millions of dollars -
have been announced by the city without any prior
public discussion or vote at the council table.
Each of those announcements raise serious
questions about transparency, accountability and
compliance with provincial laws relating to the
manner in which municipal affairs are to be conducted.
The casino partnership is the most troubling,
however, because it defies the twice- spoken will
of the public.
Adding to that concern is a new downtown development
plan adopted by council a few months
ago which reduces the likelihood the casino issue
will ever be discussed at a public council meeting.
The new plan implicitly makes a casino a
permitted use in the downtown's new " entertainment
and shopping district," meaning no re- zoning
application would be necessary for a casino
to be constructed in that area. Not coincidentally,
there is a large parcel of city- owned land in the
area that will soon be available for development.
As a matter of political tactics, the strategy
earns high marks for expediency - it is a
scheme that seeks to accomplish its objective by
stealth, while minimizing public dissent. It loses
far more marks, however, for its reckless shortsightedness.
" They just don't seem to understand what ' No'
is," says pastor John Reaves, a leader of the anticasino
campaign in 2008. " Anyone that tries to
force this, it's political suicide."
Reaves is alluding to the fact the next municipal
election is only two years away. Decter Hirst
and the 10 councillors might be facing an angry
electorate at a point in time when the casino can
still be derailed by a new, anti- casino council.
Another factor to consider is the casino plan
must be endorsed by the Assembly of Manitoba
Chiefs - something that is far from guaranteed.
Indeed, Chief David Crate, the chair of the
AMC gaming committee, told the Brandon Sun
" This was not an election promise, or platform
of Mayor Shari Decter Hirst. Now to state that
' the Brandon voters will not face a third casino
plebiscite as it will now be a decision at the city
council table' seems improper."
What if Premier Greg Selinger is less willing to
defy the plebiscite results and refuses to authorize
the issuance of a casino licence for Brandon?
He may not be prepared to risk Brandon East, the
only NDP- held riding in Westman, on such an unpopular
scheme.
It is difficult to see how this gambit ends well
for Brandon's mayor and council. They have
taken a huge political risk, betting their political
futures on a controversial scheme that seeks to
deliver a result that voters have twice rejected.
They might be the next thing Brandon voters
reject.
deverynrossletters@ gmail. com
DEVERYN
ROSS
JAIMIE
WILSON
' Cultural teaching' proves impediment to literacy
Brandon voters ignored in drive for casino
Frank Turner, Community Business Development manager with the Tribal Council Investment Group,
Brandon Mayor Shari Decter Hirst and Allan McLeod, managing director and CEO of the TCIG,
speak to reporters regarding a partnership between the City of Brandon and the investment group.
Hydro
inquiry
required
In January of this year, NDP MP Pat
Martin sent a 950- word rant to the Winnipeg
Free Press denouncing as a bad idea a plan to
spend $ 100 million to refurbish the Arlington
Street Bridge, charging the money would
be better spent removing the CP rail yards,
which the bridge spans.
Who knows? Mr. Martin might have been
right. Except that no one was talking about
the Arlington Street Bridge, they were talking
about the estimated cost of perhaps fixing
the Louise Bridge far away over the Red
River. Mr. Martin called to ask that the piece
be withdrawn. " Wrong bridge," he said.
It was classic Pat Martin, a. k. a. the mouth
that roared, a man who never lets the facts
get in the way of a sound bite. Mr. Martin's
schtick no doubt has many fans, especially
in the press corps, to which he unashamedly
panders for reasons of self- promotion. But
now, Mr. Martin finds himself named in a
$ 5- million defamation suit for going robomouth
over an Alberta robocall firm. He
hopes to go cap in hand to raise $ 250,000 for
his defence. The money is to be placed in a
trust fund - donations, at least, will not be
tax deductible, which would have been an
insult to taxpayers of a different order than
Mr. Martin's typical slurs.
In the meantime, the prospect of there being
consequences for loose talk has caused
Mr. Martin to become, shall we say, circumspect.
While no one wants to see MPs
muzzled, there can be no doubt that his usual
targets are relishing the schadenfreude of
the moment.
Robo- mouth, not
A_ 12_ Jun- 28- 12_ FP_ 01. indd A12 6/ 27/ 12 11: 52: 11 PM
;