Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - June 29, 2012, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A18
A 18 WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, FRIDAY, JUNE 29, 2012 CANADA winnipegfreepress. com
0 %
2400
McPHILLIPS ST
CREDIT CONCERNS
NO PROBLEM
CALL 1- 888- 717- 2855
FOR INSTANT APPROVAL
SALES HOTLINE
( 204) 633- 8833
* See dealer for details. All prices, payments are plus taxes, fees and freight. 5.99% x 96 mos. oac. Ex: 2012 Terrain $ 26,795 or $ 156 biweekly plus freight, taxes and fees. 5.99% x 96 mos. oac.
$ 18,899 * OR $ 107 * BW
0%
FOR 72
MONTHS
2012 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB
0%
FOR 72
MONTHS
shop online@ jimgauthiergmc. com
YOUR PRICE FROM
$ 22,499 * OR $ 128 * BW
NEW LOW PRICE FROM
F
M NEW LOW PRICE FROM
YOUR PRICE FROM
2012 GMC
SIERRA
EXTENDED CAB
2012 GMC SIERRA REG. CAB
2400 McPHILLIPS STREET
$ 26,795 * OR $ 156 * BW
$ 19,888 * OR $ 120 * BW
2012 ACADIA DENALI AWD
WEEKEND PRICE
Navigation, DVD, Sunroof
and much more...
MSRP 63,825
$ 51,799 * OR $ 304 * BW
1
ONLY
AND Discounts
up to
$ 10,000
Discounts
up to
$ 11,800
Discounts
up to
$ 12,000
Up to
$ 12,000
off
FREE
Stainless Steel
BBQ or Patio
Heater with
purchase!
HAPPY CANADA DAY! Gauthier GauthierGa Ga h Gauthier
2012 TERRAIN
- Equipped Not Stripped!
More standard equipment than the Equinox! Such as: Backup Camera,
Blockheater, 7" Touch Screen Display, XM Radio, USB Port, Foglamps, Deep
Tinted Glass, Rear Window Washer, Carpeted Floormats, Compass, Auto
Dimming, Rear View Mirror. 156
kup 0%
FOR 72
MONTHS
120
MONT
0%
FOR 72
MONTHS
Friday & Saturday 9- 6 . Monday Closed . Tuesday 9- 9
Weekend Special
Stk.# T12034
�s �s �s U S E D C A R S U P E R S T O R E �s �s �s
Automatic, air conditioning, power windows & locks,
DEALOFTHEDAY
2011 NISSAN VERSA
A S LO W AS
$ 9 , 999 ** or $ 74 BIWEEKLY *
10 TO
CHOOSE
FROM
* Price and payment reflect $ 2000 cash or trade and exclude all fees and applicable tax. $ 74 biweekly payment is plus taxes at 7.5% APR over 84 months, oac. Vehicle may not be exactly as shown.
Unit 40 - 3965 Portage Ave.
837- 5811 | birchwoodgm. ca
E LLIOT LAKE, Ont. - An array of
accusations from local residents,
death threats against a mall owner
and the prospect of a class- action lawsuit
all collided in the aftermath of a
deadly roof collapse in this northern
Ontario city Thursday, even as the
province promised to scrutinize every
angle of the tragedy.
Those closest to the victims, however,
said their many unanswered questions
could wait while they mourned.
" We need to focus on grieving with
our loved ones and saying thank you,"
said an emotional Gary Gendron,
whose fianc�e Lucie Aylwin was killed
in Saturday's collapse at the Algo Centre
Mall.
Gendron did add, however, that he
hadn't considered his fianc�e's place of
work a safe one.
" I think myself, that mall should
have been closed long time ago," he
said, drawing cheers from a group of
local residents. " People made a lot of
complaints about the mall but nothing
changed."
After an arduous five- day rescue
mission which ended with the retrieval
of two bodies, Premier Dalton Mc-
Guinty promised Thursday that his
province will " carefully review" how it
responded to the collapse.
The regional coroner's office, with
the assistance of provincial police, is
already probing the deaths of the two
women who died when an avalanche of
concrete and metal crashed through a
part of the mall - Aylwin and Doloris
Perizzolo, 70.
The Ministry of Labour, which visited
the shopping centre six times in the last
three years, is also investigating.
McGuinty's vow to investigate came
as some members of the tight- knit community
of Elliot Lake demanded a public
inquiry.
Among those pushing for answers to
the collapse was Ontario New Democrat
MPP Mike Mantha, whose constituency
office was in the mall. He said there
had been numerous complaints from local
residents about the mall's condition
in the past.
The Ministry of Labour said officials
paid six visits to the mall over the last
three years, most of which related to
complaints about reported leaky pipes,
a leaky roof, mould and an unsafe escalator.
But no orders related to those
complaints were issued.
A lawyer representing the mall's
owner said Thursday the shopping centre
was inspected on a regular basis.
Antoine- R�n� Fabris said the company
had spent more than $ 1 million on
renovations. He said the collapse " will
undoubtedly lead to litigation," adding
the owners have received notice of a
class- action lawsuit, but declined to
provide further details.
Fabris' comments drew a vicious
verbal assault from one member of
the community, who said residents had
been placing bets on when the mall
would come down.
The visibly irate woman said the
community had been hoping any possible
cave- in would happen at night so
nobody would be hurt.
Fabris also said mall owner Bob
Nazarian has received threats. He declined
to outline their nature.
Questions have also been swirling
about the effectiveness of the rescue
missions, and whether anything more
could have been done to save lives.
Crews called off the search on Monday
saying the structure was too dangerous
for anyone to enter. The rescue
efforts resumed after community
members protested and McGuinty
intervened.
Officials insist the suspension was
only temporary to ensure the safety of
rescue workers
The province is offering financial
help to the devastated community to
help relocate businesses and social services
and offer support to those who've
lost their jobs.
- The Canadian Press
Accusations fly over
state of collapsed mall
Elliot Lake residents demand public inquiry
NATHAN DENETTE / THE CANADIAN PRESS
A man prepares to lay flowers Thursday at a memorial site, the day after the recovery of two bodies at
the Algo Centre Mall in Elliot Lake, Ont. Sign reflects residents' frustration over the mall's condition.
A_ 2 0_ Jun- 29- 12_ FP_ 01. indd A18 6/ 28/ 12 10: 38: 05 PM
;