Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - July 15, 2013, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE C2
C 2 WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, MONDAY, JULY 15, 2013 BASEBALL winnipegfreepress. com
F OR anybody who has seen him
regularly over the last season
and a half, the natural reaction
was, " Lincecum? Really?"
More often than not in 2012 and
' 13, Tim Lincecum has looked lost,
bewildered, absolutely incapable of
recapturing the brilliance he displayed
in his two Cy Young Awardwinning
seasons, which feel like
decades ago.
Even when he was striking out
more than a batter an inning, he
could seem like the worst starting
pitcher in the National League,
which statistically he was last
season.
And then he goes out and throws
a no- hitter - he wills his way to a
no- hitter, with an unfathomable 148
pitches - and thoughts of glory days
past and maybe even future flicker
through your head.
" I'm kind of speechless right now,"
Lincecum said in a post- game TV
interview.
Lincecum? Really?
He appeared to have a better
chance of getting sent to the bullpen
- or of getting shipped out of town
altogether, what with his free agency
approaching and the San Francisco
Giants fading fast - than of shackling
an opponent.
This is a guy who came into Saturday's
9- 0 gem against the San Diego
Padres with a 4- 9 record earned
fully on merit, accompanied by a
4.61 ERA and a 1.41 WHIP.
Granted, he had only received 12
runs of support in his last 10 starts,
but Lincecum had lost nine of his
last 11 decisions, with a 4.78 ERA in
that stretch. He had seven quality
starts in 18 appearances. The last
time he'd thrown a complete game
was in 2011.
There was not much evidence such
a breakthrough was in the offing.
The one thing Lincecum has maintained
through these turbulent last
two seasons is the ability to strike
batters out, and that proved a huge
factor on Saturday. He registered
nearly half his outs - 13 of 27 - via
strikeout, including six in a row between
the second and fourth innings.
But strikeouts also build up his
pitch counts, as do walks, one of his
chief bugaboos. There have been
times when he's been so out of sync
unfurling from that unique windup
of his, you'd swear every batter
started with a three- ball count.
Lincecum walked four Padres,
but manager Bruce Bochy said he
had no intention of pulling him even
as the pitch count mounted, and
Lincecum himself sounded ready
to get past the 150- pitch mark if
needed.
That Lincecum was at 138 pitches
to start the ninth was of little consequence
to him or Bochy.
" He wouldn't have talked to me the
rest of the year," said Bochy, " if I'd
have taken him out."
" I wasn't thinking it was the last
out at the end of the no- hitter,"
Lincecum told reporters. " I was
just running on adrenaline the last
couple of innings. My mind kept
wanting to go into pitching mode."
And indeed, pitch and pitch some
more he did, throwing more than
anybody else during a no- hitter
except for Edwin Jackson in 2010,
when he completed his gem with one
more pitch at 149.
Lincecum will get an extended
rest with the All- Star break coming,
and who knows if this game marks
the beginning of a return to his old
form. That's probably unlikely, but
regardless, for this one night the
Freak show was back on.
- USA Today
No- hitter may mean
return of The Freak
SAN DIEGO - Carlos Quentin
hit one of San Diego's four home
runs and drove in three runs as
the Padres routed Barry Zito and
the San Francisco Giants 10- 1 on
Sunday, a day after being no- hit
by Tim Lincecum.
Nick Hundley had a homer
among his three hits and Chris
Denorfia and Will Venable also
went deep as the Padres avoided
a four- game sweep by the defending
World Series champions
heading into the All- Star break.
The Padres had been outscored
23- 3 in the first three games of
the series, including a 9- 0 loss
Saturday night when Lincecum
threw his first career no- hitter.
San Diego won for just the fourth
time in 20 games.
Zito ( 4- 7), who went to high
school in San Diego, had another
road misadventure. He was
chased without getting an out in
the third inning and dropped to
0- 6 with a 9.89 ERA in eight road
starts. The Giants are 0- 8 in his
road starts. He allowed four runs
and four hits while walking two
and striking out none.
Zito gave up San Diego's first
three homers. Denorfia hit a solo
shot an estimated 417 feet into the
second deck in left field with one
out in the first while Hundley and
Venable connected back- to- back
with two outs in the second. It
was the third time the Padres hit
consecutive homers this season.
It was Denorfia's seventh,
Hundley's sixth and Venable's
11th.
Quentin's two- run homer in the
fifth hit the balcony on the second
level of the Western Metal Supply
Co. brick warehouse in the leftfield
corner. It was his 12th.
- The Associated Press
Zito follows no- no with oh, no
Lincecum tosses gem at Padres
By Jorge L. Ortiz
LENNY IGNELZI / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Giants pitcher Tim Lincecum throws in the ninth inning of his no- hitter against the San Diego Padres Saturday night.
' He wouldn't have talked to me the rest of the year if I'd have taken him out'
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy, on Lincecum's high pitch count of 138 heading into the ninth inning
AS the Winnipeg Goldeyes'
hopes for a championship repeat
slip further away, the baseball
club is bringing a new look to its
batting order.
Coming
into the
clubhouse
is 22- yearold
infielder
Kevin Moesquit,
fresh off
three seasons
in the Los Angeles Angels'
minor- league system. The Florida
native played 49 games this
season with the A- level Burlington
Bees in Iowa, where he hit
.235 with 13 RBI and five stolen
bases. Last season, in 107 games
with the A- level Cedar Rapids,
he hit .237 with two homers, 31
RBI and 16 stolen bases.
Leaving the Goldeyes is veteran
outfielder Mike Coles, who
hopped on board with the Fish
just a few weeks ago, after starting
the season coaching baseball
near his Indiana home. The
Goldeyes moved the 30- year- old
to the Lincoln Saltdogs.
The Fish are in the middle
of an interleague road swing
through Quebec, looking to
break a losing trend that saw
them get swept by the visiting
Gary- SouthShore RailCats last
week and lose three of four
games against the Quebec Capitales,
including Sunday afternoon's
7- 4 trouncing.
- Staff
Fading Fish acquire
infielder Moesquit
TAMPA, Fla. - Alex Rodriguez joked
that it has been a long time since he
last homered. Although he just missed
getting one Sunday, A- Rod thought he
was making progress.
Rodriguez had a double and two RBI
for Class A Tampa, his first extra- base
hit during a minor league rehabilitation
assignment.
Rodriguez was 1 for 3 with a walk as
the designated hitter against Bradenton.
Coming back from hip surgery
in January, he is scheduled to join
Double- A Trenton for today's Eastern
League game in Reading, Pa.
" I'm very excited to be going up,
absolutely," Rodriguez said. " I think
we're on schedule. It was a very good
week. Things are moving forward."
Rodriguez is 3 for 21 (. 143) with
three RBI and six strikeouts during
his injury rehab. He drove in a run
during the fifth with a double to the
base of the centre- field fence at Steinbrenner
Field.
" I did like the way I swung the bat
today," Rodriguez said. " That ball felt
good off the bat. I'd to see me do that
back to back days, driving the ball a
little more consistently."
Rodriguez was credited with a
second RBI on an unusual fielder's
choice. Right fielder Willy Garcia
dropped Rodriguez's fly ball with two
on, then threw to second for a forceout
as the other runner scored from
second base.
" That's one thing about A ball, you
see things you've never seen before,
and I've never seen that, but that was
pretty funny," Rodriguez said. " I think
getting the ball in the air for me is
probably the most important thing.
Just getting the ball up into the air to
centre field and the other way, to me,
those are good signs."
Rodriguez drew a first- inning walk
and struck out on a foul tip that ended
the third.
Rodriguez has played eight games
for Tampa and Charleston, both Class
A clubs. His rehab assignment can
extend through July 21, after which he
expects to return to the big leagues.
" That's the target, the 22nd,"
Rodriguez said, looking ahead to the
Yankees' game at the Texas Rangers.
" I'm very much looking forward to
that date."
Rodriguez said his legs feel fine as
he advances to the next rehab step.
He worked out on a back field Sunday
for 35 minutes, taking 70 swings over
eight rounds of batting practice and
fielding 25 grounders.
" The reports have been OK,"
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said in
New York. " Physically he's doing OK,
and just keep rehabbing and trying to
lengthen him out, play him a couple
of days in a row and see what we have
after the 20 days."
Rodriguez met Friday in Tampa with
Major League Baseball officials investigating
the distribution of performance-
enhancing drugs.
MLB investigators are looking into
the closed anti- aging clinic Biogenesis.
Rodriguez has said he used PEDs
while with Texas from 2001- 03 but
has denied using them since. He was
linked to Biogenesis in a report in
January by Miami New Times.
Rodriguez has said that he has been
told not to discuss the situation.
" I'm going to let the due process play
out," Rodriguez said.
Asked about a report Sunday in the
New York Daily News that his lawyers
are discussing whether to seek an
agreement from MLB on a 150- game
suspension rather than face a possible
lengthier ban, Rodriguez responded: " I
don't know anything about that."
- The Associated Press
A- Rod
doubles,
dodges
rumours
Two RBI in rehab game,
won't discuss meeting
By Mark Didtler
SCOTT ISKOWITZ / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Alex Rodriguez takes a rip in the minors.
BALTIMORE - The Toronto Blue Jays
finished a disappointing first half with
another loss, one lined with a single
positive thought: They won't see Chris
Davis again until September.
Davis hit his 37th home run to tie the
AL record before
the All- Star break,
and the Baltimore
Orioles cruised
past the Blue Jays
7- 4 Sunday.
Davis doubled
in two runs in the
first inning and hit
a two- run homer in the third to give
him 93 RBIs, second- most in the majors
behind Detroit's Miguel Cabrera.
The slugger pulled into the break
with a homer in four straight games.
With Davis leading the way, the Orioles
took two of three against the last- place
Blue Jays.
" Superhuman," Toronto manager
John Gibbons said. " He's having some
kind of year. I saw him a little bit when
he was in Texas coming up. He could
always hit home runs. He got his opportunity
here to play every day and
he's taken advantage of it. It's pretty
impressive."
Davis equaled Reggie Jackson's AL
mark of 37 homers before the break,
set in 1969. The major league record is
39, by Barry Bonds in 2001.
Davis has already reached career
highs in home runs and RBIs with 66
games left in the regular season.
" I think it's something definitely to
be proud of," Davis said. " It means I've
been doing my job, but it also speaks
volumes about the guys in front of me
getting on base and really swinging the
bats well."
His four RBIs on Sunday came
against Toronto starter Josh Johnson
( 1- 5).
" Not a good pitch to Davis," Johnson
said of the home run. " Right now he's
hitting everything. Just got to make a
better pitch."
The good news for the Blue Jays is
that they won't face the Orioles again
until Sept. 13. By then, perhaps Toronto
will recover from a 45- 49 first half that
featured an 11- game winning streak
but ended with 13 losses in 20 games.
" Definitely frustrating," Gibbons
said. " These four days will be good for
us. A little breather ( to) regroup. We
will find out what we're made of and
how good we are in the second half."
Adam Jones homered and scored
three runs for the Orioles. The home
run was his 19th of the season and third
in three games.
Scott Feldman ( 1- 1) allowed three
runs and five hits over 7 1- 3 innings to
earn his first win with the Orioles in
three starts since being traded from
the Chicago Cubs on July 2. The righthander
struck out seven and walked
one.
" I think command- wise I was a little
better today," he said. " I was able to
throw in that first strike when I needed
to, which was helpful."
After Maicer Izturis singled in a run
in the ninth off Tommy Hunter, Jim
Johnson got three outs for his 33rd
save.
Izturis had three RBIs for the Blue
Jays, who fell to 4- 11 in their last 15
games at Camden Yards.
- The Associated Press
O's Davis won't
have Jays to
feast on till fall
C_ 02_ Jul- 15- 13_ FP_ 01. indd C2 7/ 14/ 13 9: 30: 16 PM
;