Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - July 17, 2013, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A5
winnipegfreepress. com WINNIPEG WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, WEDNESDAY, JULY 17, 2013 A 5
A landmark American court case could
end up paying dividends for Winnipeggers
who believe they've been slandered
by a salacious gossip website.
Brian Bowman, a Winnipeg business
lawyer who specializes in privacy
issues, told the Free Press his firm
has already been contacted by several
people who've had the dubious distinction
of being featured on thedirty. com.
They want to know how last week's
jury verdict against " the Dirty" might
affect them.
" This certainly made me perk up. It's
almost certainly a step in the right direction.
I really want to see how this will
impact Canadians," said Bowman.
" Time is going to tell. We're going
to be analyzing this decision in greater
detail to see how it may impact the
representation of our clients. I'm sure
other Canadian lawyers that practise
in social media law and defamation will
be doing the same thing."
The case in question involves a former
Cincinnati Bengals cheerleader
who won her defamation
lawsuit
and was awarded
$ 338,000 in
damages after
a jury in a civil
court case found
posts about her
on the website
were false and
defamatory.
U. S. jurors
also found website
operator Nik
Richie acted
with " malice
or reckless disregard"
in allowing
for the
posting of anonymous
submissions about Sarah
Jones that claimed she had sex with the
entire football team and was carrying
two sexually transmitted diseases.
Richie said the posters were simply
abiding by their right to free speech,
but jurors disagreed in a decision
Jones's lawyer said could pave the way
for many similar suits.
Richie said he will appeal.
" This website is really dedicated to
allowing people to defame other people.
They've escaped liability up until now,"
Bowman told the Free Press .
He said many Winnipeg clients have
been looking for a way to go after the
Dirty website.
A search of the Arizona- based website
shows Winnipeg is one of 22 featured
Canadian cities. There are hundreds
of local men and women included on
the local site, with thousands of mostly
anonymous comments stemming from
the posts.
Pictures of the subjects are often included
and the material is blunt.
" She is the biggest junkie around who
does c* ke and pills in front of her inbred
kid," reads one recent post about a
young Winnipeg woman.
" This fall- down mother can't take
care of her kids ( cause) she's passed out
drunk or trying to break into her parents
house to steal more booze," claims
another.
" This girl ends up having a new
boyfriend every week and I found out
from her exes that she always cheats
and when she sleeps with other guys
she never uses a condom!" screams a
third.
There are numerous similar examples
filling the pages. Some of the
additional comments are even more
biting and include racial slurs.
" People are being harmed by it. We
have spoken with local clients who
know people are using this website because
it's a safe haven for defamatory
content," said Bowman.
And while finding the anonymous
posters may be next to impossible, last
week's decision opens the door to go
directly after the website owner.
Richie's lawyer, David Gingras,
argued at trial the website is protected
under the U. S. federal Communications
Decency Act.
Part of that law was intended to provide
immunity to website publishers
from liability for content that comes
from third parties.
Gingras argued holding Richie responsible
for posts created by a third
party would have a negative effect on
free speech for other people and other
websites.
Jones's attorney, Eric Deters, told
jurors they could help put an end to
cyberbullying by awarding damages
that would send a message to Richie
and others they should be careful about
what they post.
Jones also had said she hopes the jury
would award damages large enough to
force the website to shut down to prevent
other people from being hurt by
it.
www. mikeoncrime. com
- with files from The Associated Press WE FIX BROKEN
SMARTPHONES
ALL MAKES, ALL MODELS
FROM
$ 99
CRACKED
SCREEN?
204.788.0900
620 KING EDWARD
cdccomputer. com
1200 Waverley Street Unit 9 ( corner of Mcgillivray)
Tel. 204- 951- 6887 www. healthmedica. ca
Insurance, MPI, WCB accepted.
Direct Billing
A Better you!
Locations
Across
Canada
Chiropractic, Ma s sag e , Spi nal D ec o mpr essi on, L as e r
H air Removal , S kin Tig h ten ing, M icr o dermabr a sion,
A t h le t ic T h e r a p y, Custo m O r t ho t ic s, Fac ials a nd m or e . . .
LET US PUT A SMILE ON YOUR FACE!
( 2 0 4 )- 947 - 1 8 0 7
702 Boyd Medical Centre
F A S T
DENTUR E S
FULL & PARTIAL DENTURES . RELINES & REPAIRS WHILE YOU WAIT $ 599
beds
starting at
630 Kernaghan Ave
Door 79
204.988.0800
All sales are final. No Exchanges or refunds
Wednesday to Friday
noon - 8pm
Saturday
9: 30am - 5pm
Furniture Factory Outlet
y
BOXING BOXING
SHOWROOM SAMPLES, AND MUCH, MUCH MORE!
204- 697- 1400
1400 McPHILLIPS WINNIPEG MB
SAVE TIME . SHOP ON- LINE www. jimgauthierchevy. com
www. ji mga uthierchev. com
THE GAUTHIER AUTO GROUP IS PROUD TO BE THE # 1 VOLUME DEALER IN WPG!!
Ex Ex Ex cl cl us us iv iv e to
Ji Ji m Ga Ga ut ut hi hi er
Ch Ch Ch ev ev ev ro ro le t
S t a r t n t r S ting
f r m o r m from
OnlyOnlyatOnlyatt Jim Gauthier Chevrolet Ji G thi Ch l t J
Price is plus taxes and fees and exclude freight.
Cash pri ce can not be combined with low rate fifi financi ng.
$ 14 , 988 o r $ 98 B/ W
I n terest Rates
A s L o w A s 2 . 9%.
Li m i t e d T i m e , w o n ' t l as t l o n g.
A ct N O W !
Defamation suit
against website
gives locals hope
' The Dirty' owner ordered to pay
By Mike McIntyre
' This website
is really
dedicated to
allowing people
to defame other
people.
They've escaped
liability
up until now'
- Winnipeg lawyer
Brian Bowman
N OT in our town, Chris Brown.
That's the message Kelcy Beirnes
hopes to get across to the
promoter involved in bringing the controversial
American singer to Winnipeg
next month. Taking a cue from a
grassroots effort in Halifax, which saw
an online anti- Brown petition surpass
11,000 signatures and four corporate
sponsors pull out of Brown's appearance
there next month, Beirnes started
her own petition on Change. org Monday,
asking promoters of the Energy
Rush tour to shelve the Aug. 29 show at
MTS Centre.
" It's a really shameful thing for us to
be having this concert here," Beirnes
said Tuesday. " Of all the artists we
could have brought in we have to hire
somebody who is a terrible role model.
We're rewarding terrible behaviour
and we're bringing a criminal into our
country."
Brown pleaded guilty to assaulting
his then- girlfriend Rihanna in 2009.
The incident, which saw Brown hit and
choke his fellow pop star during an
argument in Los Angeles, drew attention
to violence against women and created
a public- relations nightmare for
Brown - one he hasn't been able to pull
out of due to continued run- ins with the
law.
The controversy surrounding Brown
hasn't hurt the popularity of his music,
though. His last two full- length albums,
F. A. M. E. ( released in 2011) and Fortune
( 2012) both reached the top of the Billboard
charts. His new album X is set
for release later this summer.
Susie Parker is also not down with
Brown coming to Winnipeg, as she's
in the planning stages of a benefit at
Academy Lanes to raise money for Osborne
House - a local women's shelter
and victims of domestic abuse - on the
same night as the concert. The event is
not organized by Osborne House.
" We're just trying to take money out
of Chris Brown's hands and give it to
Osborne House," Parker said of the
event, called Loving Hands Don't Hit.
" I used to be a Chris Brown fan, but as
a woman with a conscious, I just can't
support him anymore."
Stephen Tobin, owner of Drop Entertainment
Group and promoter of the
three- stop Canadian Energy Rush concert
series ( Brown is the headline act),
identified support for the show in Winnipeg
as " nothing short of electric and
overwhelmingly positive."
" In no way do we condone Chris
Brown's past behaviour or personal
endeavours. We are purely focused on
his music, incredible talent and overall
popularity. I believe it is a very slippery
slope when we start trying to censor or
dictate who can or cannot perform."
True North Sports and Entertainment,
which is housing the show at
MTS Centre, is sympathetic to the
sensitivities regarding Brown but is not
considering cancelling the show. It will
let people make their own moral determination
on the R& B singer.
" If Chris Brown is legally able to
come into the country and play a show,
we are into a contract with the promoter
that we will honour," offered TNSE
spokesman Scott Brown ( no relation).
" As with any show we put on, people
can decide whether or not to support
it by purchasing a ticket. And if they
choose to express their opinion the
night of the show, as long as they do so
in a respectful manner and not interfere
with the people that have chosen to
go to the show, then they're entitled to
do that as well."
Beirnes hopes her petition, which
is addressed to Energy 106 ( the local
radio station promoting the show) and
Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz, finds similar
traction as the one in Halifax. Four
corporate sponsors - including Rogers
and Molson Canadian - have pulled
out of the Energy Rush tour.
Beirnes implores those planning to
attend the Brown show to reconsider.
" This is a guy who beat his girlfriend
to the point where you couldn't recognize
her," she said. " It's disgusting that
he's coming here and I hope parents
think twice about allowing their children
to support this guy."
The petition is at www. change. org/
energyrushwinnipeg.
adam. wazny@ freepress. mb. ca
Dump Brown: activist
Petition seeks
to have singer's
show cancelled
By Adam Wazny
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS ARCHIVES
Sarah Jones won her defamation suit.
PHIL HOSSACK / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
Kelcy Beirnes wants promoters to dump Chris Brown's concert at the MTS Centre Aug. 29. The promoter balks at the suggestion.
A_ 05_ Jul- 17- 13_ FP_ 01. indd A5 7/ 16/ 13 9: 21: 32 PM
;