Winnipeg Free Press

Monday, July 22, 2013

Issue date: Monday, July 22, 2013
Pages available: 43
Previous edition: Sunday, July 21, 2013

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions

Logos

About Winnipeg Free Press

  • Publication name: Winnipeg Free Press
  • Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
  • Pages available: 43
  • Years available: 1872 - 2025
Learn more about this publication

About NewspaperArchive.com

  • 3.12+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to One of the World's Largest Newspaper Archives!

Start your Genealogy Search Now!

OCR Text

Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - July 22, 2013, Winnipeg, Manitoba C M Y K PAGE A3 pop- up store now open at cityplace 333 st. mary avenue thurs- fri 12- 6 pm sat- sun 12- 5 pm glasshousewinnipeg. com from $ 174,900 taxes included Sizes and specifications are subject to change without notice. E.& O. E. live the high life. Exclusive Broker: Susan Joshi & Chris Pennycook glass h h o o u u se e skylofts in the city HONESTY • INTEGRITY • EXCELLENCE • RESPECT A+ ACCREDITED BBB MEMBER * Plus applicable taxes. Air conditioner may not be exactly as shown. Some conditions apply. $ 2 , 699 * AIR CONDITIONING 204- 774- 1474 IT’S TIME TO CALL 635 Ferry Road www. ontimegroup. ca INSTALLED! 1.5 TON 13 SEER LIMITED QUANTITY! CALL NOW TO SEE IF THIS UNIT IS RIGHT FOR YOUR HOME! SUMMER SPECIALS! PROMOTION EXTENDED TO JULY 31 Juvederm & Restylane from $ 395 per syringe Botox, Dysport or Xeomin frown line treatments from $ 250 Micro- Dermabrasion save 15% Mini- Lip Enhancements from $ 425 204.809.0101 minuklasercentre. com ‘ trust your face treatments to a Dermatologist’ Winnipeg’s Choice as Cosmetic Physician TOP NEWS WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, JULY 22, 2013 winnipegfreepress. com A 3 CHARGES are pending after a boozefuelled fight with a relative at a home in the Maples late Friday or early Saturday left a man dead. Winnipeg police homicide detectives centred their investigation over the weekend in the 100 block of Bondar Bay. Police say a 19- year- old man and a male relative agreed to a punch- up while they were drunk late Friday night at a home on nearby Desharnais Street. A resident in the house said the 19- year- old left the home Friday night, but made no further comments. A neighbour said the teen was hit on the head with a beer bottle. He eventually made his way to a home at Bondar Bay, but by Saturday afternoon was found unresponsive. He was taken to hospital but died. “ For one reason or another, they got into a dispute or argument and decided to get into a fight,” Winnipeg Police Service spokesman Const. Jason Michalyshen said. “ The victim sustained injuries and was assisted to the residence on Bondar Bay and he was put to bed. “ Then he was checked on the next day and was found unresponsive.” A police spokesman said homicide investigators and a forensics unit have been on the scene collecting evidence. He called the investigation “ unique” and added police have been communicating with the Crown prosecutor’s office. Argument leads to fight and 19- year- old man dies G IMLI’S Misty Lake Lodge could stay open for First Nation flood evacuees after all, its owner said Sunday. Hotelier Michael Bruneau has shelved plans to close the lakeside conference centre, which has been used to house those displaced by the 2011 Lake St. Martin flood. While he contends he’s owed another $ 300,000 on top of the $ 2.6 million Ottawa guaranteed last week for housing the evacuees, he said the federal offer is large enough for him to have a change of heart over Misty Lake’s future. Bruneau said after meeting with hotel staff and evacuees at the lodge this weekend, he decided to keep it open past Sept. 1, which he said last week would be Misty Lake’s final day. “ It’s the smartest thing to do, is to stay open for evacuees,” Bruneau said Sunday. Late Sunday afternoon, Misty Lake general manager Retha Dykes issued a statement on Bruneau’s behalf to confirm the decision. “ I have spoken and confirmed with both the Lake St. Martin and the Little Saskatchewan First Nations chief and council regarding their band members who are evacuees. They are in full support of these evacuees to remain at Misty Lake,” Bruneau’s statement said. “ Misty Lake will continue to make these people feel at home.” In telephone interviews Sunday, Bruneau sketched out the reasons for his change of heart and added a couple of conditions to his offer. He said he needs a minimum 50 registered evacuees to keep the lodge afloat. He estimated there are a couple dozen now at the lodge, down from a peak of 180 at the height of the flood crisis. He employs nine of the evacuees at the hotel. There are about 2,000 evacuees from First Nations swamped by the 2011 flood. They’ve remained in hotel rooms and private accommodations, mostly in Winnipeg, as Lake St. Martin and Little Saskatchewan resettlement plans are worked out. Bruneau said he wants to deal directly with federal authorities on evacuee assistance, bypassing the Manitoba Association of Native Firefighters ( MANFF), with which he has squared off over billings. On Friday, the Free Press obtained a letter sent to Bruneau from the regional office of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada that favoured Bruneau in his contract dispute with MANFF, which oversaw evacuations from First Nations during the flood. The July 18 letter came after a full review of the dispute that has pushed Misty Lake Lodge to the brink of closing over unpaid MANFF bills. Ottawa’s decision comes with an order issued to MANFF to pay Bruneau the money for lodging and other claims related to the evacuees who were housed at Misty Lake Lodge and at a hotel in Ashern that Bruneau owns. He said that after two years as an evacuation centre, his lodge is in poor repair and beyond its former use as a lakeside conference centre. “ The smartest thing to do is to stay open for evacuees. We’re willing to be a standby emergency centre for evacuees, but we won’t deal with MANFF,” he said. Bruneau said Sunday he’s heard the $ 2.6- million federal cheque may come as early as today. He said he feels more secure after receiving support from the First Nations’ chiefs and councils than at the height of his dispute with MANFF. Meanwhile, a flurry of emails between between MANFF and hotel officials showed their dispute is as heated as ever. In one email over the weekend, a MANFF official threatened to pull out all the evacuees still at Misty Lake Lodge. alexandra. paul@ freepress. mb. ca Lodge could stay open for evacuees Ottawa’s $ 2.6M in compensation swayed owner By Alexandra Paul LEFT: The house on Desharnais Street where police believe the fatal fight occurred late Friday or early Saturday. BELOW: The Bondar Bay home where the 19- year- old man in the fight was found unresponsive. Saturday afternoon. PHOTOS BY MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS A_ 03_ Jul- 22- 13_ FP_ 01. indd A3 7/ 21/ 13 8: 44: 03 PM ;