Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - July 23, 2013, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A4
A 4 WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, TUESDAY, JULY 23, 2013 TOP NEWS winnipegfreepress. com
G IMLI - Edee O'Meera
is walking on the spacious
green lawn that
leads to her cottage,
nestled on the shores of Lake
Winnipeg.
It's a 900- square- foot single dwelling
at the Misty Lake Lodge, complete
with washer and dryer. There are
three bedrooms and a barbecue out
back. Comfy, but understated.
" Look," O'Meera said. " The ( front)
door is open. It's freedom. It's safe. My
grandchildren are in and out all day
long."
O'Meera soaks in the scene and
finally says, " Peace."
But for the last two years, O'Meera,
a member of the Lake St. Martin First
Nation displaced by the 2011 flood, has
experienced no stability and very little
peace. She and her three children have
moved more than 20 times, including
to six hotel rooms, three rentals and
four months spent " couch surfing" at
friends' and relatives' homes.
" An absolute nightmare," she said.
" A constant state of despair and
shock."
Bertha Travers, 65, hasn't been
so nomadic since leaving her home
behind in Little Saskatchewan First
Nation in 2011. Since December, Travers
has been at Misty Lake, but she
believes many of the 2,000 evacuees
forced out of their homes two years
ago continue to experience high levels
of stress - no matter where they're
housed.
" There's no time to heal or recover,"
Travers said. " We're just being victimized
again."
But that's not the worst, said
O'Meera. Because this time, they
believe they are being traumatized not
by some faceless government bureaucrat
but by their own aboriginal leaders
- namely the Manitoba Association
of Native Firefighters, which was
given $ 78 million to disperse to flood
victims during the past two years.
" That's the most disturbing part,"
she said. " I can't believe our own
people are treating us like this when
we're in a state of crisis and shock.
They've set us back 50 years as native
people, with their mismanagement and
nepotism."
On Monday, the owner of Misty Lake
Lodge finally got a $ 2.6- million cheque
that had been owed for more than a
year for housing flood evacuees, but
the long- term fate of displaced residents
- and who is paying the bills -
remains a mystery.
Michael Bruneau said his lodge
will remain open until September or
longer, but only if representatives of
MANFF stop bullying people to leave
his hotel.
" The money is one thing. That's
good," Bruneau told the Free Press ,
shortly after picking up the certified
cheque from the Aboriginal Affairs
and Northern Affairs offices in Winnipeg
Monday afternoon. " But why
is MANFF harassing our evacuees? I
know why: They hate me with a passion.
They're trying to hurt me any
way they can.
" I got my money. I'm happy,"
Bruneau added. " But these guys
( MANFF) have to go."
Bruneau still questions what happened
to the $ 78 million given to
MANFF by the federal government.
And why MANFF officials are still in
charge of the organization, which coordinated
the evacuation of more than
700 residents from Tataskweyak Cree
Nation and Split Lake last week due to
forest fires.
" I can't understand how that happens,"
said Misty Lake Lodge general
manager Retha Dykes. " Not only
should they not be in charge, they
should be in jail."
MANFF officials have not answered
repeated requests for comment on
the allegations, which have not been
proven.
Dykes and Bruneau have compiled
boxes of documents outlining alleged
questionable spending and invoices
made by MANFF officials, including
for a booze- fuelled junket to Toronto
by eight senior staff and a getaway for
the CEO and his girlfriend.
It's not just evacuees who are housed
in places such as Misty Lake Lodge.
MANFF also provides co- ordinators
who are supposed to see to the health
and welfare of residents in their temporary
environment.
At Misty Lake, up to four co- ordinators
stayed at the hotel at a given time
- plus family and friends. Only they
didn't communicate with residents,
said Travers and O'Meera.
" They get paid to get drunk, trash
their rooms and beat each other up,"
Dykes said, noting police have been
called to Misty Lake 28 times during
the last two years, in most cases due to
disputes with co- ordinators.
Last week, one of the co- ordinators
punched an elder in the face and was
evicted. " That was the last straw,"
Dykes said.
Added Travers: " We never saw them.
They were here to party."
Many of the evacuees have been
staying at hotels in Winnipeg, including
various Canad Inns locations and
the Thrift Lodge on Notre Dame Avenue.
Dykes believes other businesses
have been owed money but didn't go
public.
" They're not going to complain,"
Dykes said. " Look at what happened to
us. We didn't get paid for a year."
Indeed, while the cheque was finally
in the mail on Monday ( approximately
$ 2 million for Misty Lake and another
$ 724,000 for an Ashern hotel owned by
Bruneau), that only covers invoices up
until April for Misty Lake and June for
Ashern. The tab is still running, with
some two dozen evacuees remaining
in Gimli.
Bruneau said he hopes to expand
the number of evacuees at Misty Lake
in order to keep the facility open past
September.
" That's one battle of a monster war,"
Dykes said, of the payment. " The
evacuees are still getting screwed
like crazy. MANFF still needs to be
replaced."
For now, at least, evacuees such as
O'Meera and Travers don't want to be
displaced.
" I'm worried that this place is closing
down," Travers said.
" This is my home. I want a roof over
my head."
randy. turner@ freepress. mb. ca
' I'm worried that this place is closing down.
This is my home. I want a roof over my head'
- Misty Lake resident Bertha Travers
Feds finally pay
hotel's evacuee bill
MANFF co- ordinators accused of drinking,
trashing rooms during parties at lodge
By Randy Turner
PHOTOS BY KEN GIGLIOTTI / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
Misty Lake Lodge cottages near Gimli have become home to First Nation flood evacuees because they've been unable to return to their real homes since 2011. The fear of being displaced again weighs heavy on them.
Evacuees Edee O'Meera, left, and Bertha Travers, right, with general manager
Retha Dykes. They're angry with the Manitoba Association of Native Firefighters.
A_ 04_ Jul- 23- 13_ FP_ 01. indd A4 7/ 22/ 13 10: 06: 05 PM
;