Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - July 23, 2013, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A6
A 6 WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, TUESDAY, JULY 23, 2013 MANITOBA winnipegfreepress. com
204- 697- 1400
1400 McPHILLIPS WINNIPEG MB
SAVE TIME • SHOP ON- LINE www. jimgauthierchevy. com
www. jimgauthierchev. com
* All prices are plus freight, taxes, fee’s, boxliner and boxrails. Factory orders or locates may be required. See dealer for details.
THE GAUTHIER AUTO GROUP IS PROUD TO BE THE # 1 VOLUME DEALER IN WPG!!
General Motors wants to Liquidate 500 New
cars, trucks & SUV’s by July 31 st , so they chose Winnipeg’s
largest GM dealership to do it at.
0 %
Financing
on almost
everything
New Car
payments as
low as
$ 24 / wk
Discounts over
$ 16,500
Jim Gauthier Chevrolet’s
Air Conditioned 55 Car Showroom
wa s the only choice when it came
to where to have this sale with
prices so low it wouldn’t be fair
to print them!
MANITOBA’S
LARGEST
SALE EVER!
Loyalty &
Conquest Credits
up to $ 1500
Leases as
low as
$ 99 / mth
Sale Dates:
July 23rd through
July 31st
RAIN
or SHINE!
Everyone can
see every
ve hicle we have
to offer inside
0 %
Lease
Rates
Absolutely no
reasonable offers
will be refused
THE last time Jason Stein was in court,
he vowed never to touch drugs again
and become a role model for young
people.
But eight years later, he was back
in court, alleged to have committed a
string of store thefts and robberies to
feed a drug habit.
Stein, 41, was given bail Monday on
condition he remain at a local Christian-
faith drug- treatment program.
“ We know ( Stein) made some mistakes
but this is somebody who wants
some consideration,” Steve Paulson,
executive director of Teen Challenge,
told court on behalf of Stein.
Stein broke down in tears as Paulson
pleaded for the court to release him into
the rigid Teen Challenge program until
his matters can be dealt with at a trial.
“ There really is a good person there,”
Paulson said.
Stein was arrested last month after
it’s alleged he was involved in a series
of crimes between February 2012 and
June 2013, involving thefts from drugstores,
grocery stores and several electronic
stores where expensive mobile
phones were stolen.
An alleged incident in April had
Stein and a co- accused loading up a
grocery cart at a Superstore with flatscreen
TVs and walking out. Then, it’s
alleged Stein went back in a few minutes
later and carried out a $ 900 flatscreen
TV.
Crown prosecutor Eric Hachinski
opposed Stein’s release, arguing he
had been picked up and released four
times during that crime spree and
had repeatedly broken terms of his release.
Defence counsel Steven Keesic told
court Stein was able to stay drug- free
and out of trouble from 2004 to 2012,
because of his involvement with Teen
Challenge, but he slipped because of
his addictions.
Stein’s drug problems originated
when he was shot and nearly killed
during a dispute over ownership of a
snowmobile in May 2000. He required
14 surgeries. His arm was permanently
disfigured and he struggled with severe
physical and emotional pain.
That led to a string of 24 cocainefuelled
robberies in 2003 that brought
him to court in April 2005.
He got a one- year sentence after telling
the court that while awaiting trial
in the Teen Challenge program, he had
found Jesus, had beaten his drug habit
and was a changed man.
“ I made the choice to never touch
drugs again,” Stein told the court in
April 2005. “ I made the decision to accept
Christ in my life.
“ I didn’t do this for the courts. I did
this because I wasn’t proud of who I
was.”
After serving his one- year sentence,
Stein returned to work at Teen Challenge
but left the program in 2009.
Keesic described Teen Challenge
as operating a strict program, with a
24- hour curfew, security cameras and
alarms and a record of reporting individuals
who breached conditions.
Provincial court Judge Tim Killeen
said the Crown had a strong case, with
security- video surveillance or witness
identifications for all the crimes Stein
is alleged to have committed.
aldo. santin@ freepress. mb. ca
Allegations
counter vow
of becoming
role model
By Aldo Santin
O BSERVERS might assume
there’s been a happy ending
to the Bell of Batoche. During
a ceremony on Saturday, the icon
of Métis pride was returned to the
bullet- riddled Saskatchewan church
from which soldiers stole it a century
ago.
But instead of a blessed homecoming,
the bell’s return has sparked
a warning that the public has been
duped with a fabricated story about
the bell’s history.
According to news accounts last
weekend, it was BillyJo Delaronde, a
Métis man and former First Nations
Manitoba chief, who stole the bell
from an Ontario legion 23 years ago.
Thousands heard his story at the
church in Batoche, Sask., where
the faithful gathered for their first
glimpse of the bell as it was returned
to the Catholic Diocese of Prince Albert
on Saturday.
Now, two Manitoba Métis men are
stepping forward to dispute Delaronde’s
account.
In 2005, it was Gary Floyd Guiboche
who broke the conspirators’ silence
and admitted in the media he and another
accomplice stole the bell. That
accomplice was Delaronde, he said.
“ But BillyJo’s story is not the way
it unfolded,” Guiboche insisted in a
lengthy phone interview from Stony
Mountain Penitentiary on Monday.
Guiboche was a free man when the
bell disappeared in 1991. But since
1991, he’s been serving a life sentence
for the second- degree murder conviction
of his common- law wife.
Manitoba Metis Federation
president David Chartrand corroborated
Guiboche’s account.
He said Delaronde “ screwed”
Guiboche and then Delaronde betrayed
the Métis people by making a
deal to return the bell to the church.
He’ll never forgive him for that, Chartrand
said.
Delaronde couldn’t be reached for
comment Monday on the dissent his
account sparked among Métis.
Guiboche recounted a story where
he and Delaronde drove to Ontario to
get the bell 23 years ago.
In 1885, federal troops put down the
Northwest Rebellion, crushed Louis
Riel’s dreams of a Métis nation and
seized the bell as a trophy of war. It
was brought east and ended up in the
Royal Canadian Legion in Millbrook
Ont.
That was their destination.
They had a crowbar and a 10- tonne
jack rented from a tool shop in Winnipeg.
At the back door, Delaronde fumbled
with the crowbar and Guiboche
told him: “ ‘ Give me that.’ I took it and
I popped it open.”
They were inside.
“ We went to front ( of the legion) and
that bell was sitting there.”
“ We got to the bell, got the jack up.
I kept pumping that 10- tonne jack and
we pried the bars open.
“ I took out the bell. We saw some
other traditional stuff and we looked
at each other and took that, too. There
was no alarm system, just wires set
up, but it was a fake system.”
The traditional items turned out to
be military medals arranged around
the bell. They stuffed the lot into an
Adidas bag and, struggling under the
weight, went outside.
Driving Delaronde’s Jeep Cherokee,
they headed west until the Jeep
engine gave out in Thunder Bay.
Theybrokedownacrossthehighway
from a Canadian Tire store, but mechanics
couldn’t help them that day, and
rather than waiting, they called a cab
to the nearest Grey Goose bus stop at
a roadside restaurant. They scarfed
down a hurried breakfast, loaded the
Adidas bag in cargo and boarded the
bus for Winnipeg.
“ An eagle flew with us the whole
way over the bus to Manitoba and
then it left,” said Guiboche.
That’s a far different account from
the one Delaronde gave on Saturday.
In 1991, the bell had been stolen
from the Millbrook Legion in a mysterious
heist and hidden from public
view until last weekend.
After that, stories get tangled.
Delaronde declared he and four
Métis accomplices drove to Millbrook
from Manitoba on a “ gentleman’s
dare” determined to get the bell back,
calling it “ Métis Mission Impossible.”
While some of the men created a distraction
by spilling a pouch of tobacco,
others made off with the bell, he said.
The whereabouts of the bell and
the details of that long ago heist have
been an open secret among Métis on
the Prairies. Many didn’t believe Delaronde’s
story and they don’t like where
the bell is headed now, Chartrand said.
The bell is reported to be en route
to Winnipeg where it’s expected to
be kept temporarily in the Saint-
Boniface Museum. The worst is yet to
come, said Chartrand. Word is the bell
will be exhibited at various occasions,
including socials and weddings.
That’s wrong, Chartrand said.
“ They commercializing the thing.
It’s unbelievable. It’s like taking Riel’s
headstone and going around with it...
The bell belongs in Batoche. It’s
caused a stir in the Métis community
and they are going to figure out how
to get the bell back.”
alexandra. paul@ freepress. mb. ca
Story of historic Bell of Batoche’s seizure disputed
By Alexandra Paul
LIAM RICHARDS / THE CANADIAN PRESS
BillyJo Delaronde with the Bell Of Batoche
in Batoche, Sask., on Saturday.
A_ 06_ Jul- 23- 13_ FP_ 01. indd A6 7/ 22/ 13 10: 02: 17 PM
;