Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - July 24, 2013, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE B6
Going on Va cation?
10 WEEKLY PRIZES of $ 10 * . 5 GRAND P RI ZE W IN NE RS of $ 100 *
your share of over
$ 3000
Win
in prizes DOUBLE YOUR Winnings!
GIVE US YOUR RE- START DATE!
All you have to do is give us a re- start date to resume
your paper and you'll be entered to win one of 10
weekly draws for a $ 10.00 Tim's Gift Card and a
additional opportunity to win one of 5 draws at the
end of the Summer for $ 100.00 gift cards.
Call us at 204- 697- 7001
( 1- 800- 542- 8900) to notify us of your
vacation stop and restart date or go to
winnipegfreepress. com/ customer_ service/
* Subscribers who provide us with a restart vacation date will be automatically entered in to the draws. Prize amounts will double if you donate your vacation newspapers to
the Winnipeg Free Press Newspaper in Hospital program or the Newspaper in Education program! ** Winnipeg Free Press general contest rules apply. No purchase necessary.
Contest starts April 29, 2013 and ends on September 15, 2013. Winners will be contacted by phone. Grand Prize draws will be held on September 18, 2013.
DONATE YOUR PAPER WHILE ON HOLIDAYS TO OUR HOSPITAL
OR NEWSPAPER IN EDUCATION PROGRAM!
In addition to providing your restart date, if you donate your subscription
while on vacation to our Hospital or Newspaper in Education program and
your name is picked, you will win DOUBLE the prize values. That's $ 20.00
in our weekly draw and $ 200.00 in our Summer- end draw.
c a tion
BUSINESS EDITOR: SHANE MINKIN 204- 697- 7308 business@ freepress. mb. ca I MARKET DETAILS B7 I winnipegfreepress. com
WEDNESDAY, JULY 24, 2013
B 6
A new contender has emerged in the
city's search for someone to redevelop
the downtown St. Regis Hotel property.
Winnipeg's downtown development
agency - CentureVenture Development
Corporation - rejected three proposals
submitted last month. But since
then, another party has expressed an
interest in the property.
CentreVenture president and CEO
Ross McGowan said agency officials
have had preliminary discussions with
the new party, and have asked for a
written offer to purchase along with
a more detailed description of what it
would do with the property.
" You only need one good one, and we
think we may have a good proposal,"
McGowan said of the latest contender.
He wouldn't say who the new contender
is, or if it's a local or out- of- province
developer. He also wouldn't reveal any
details about what plans it may have for
the property.
McGowan was also tight- lipped about
who submitted the three earlier proposals,
and why they were rejected.
Asked whether CentreVenture approached
the new party or if it was vice
versa, he said, " It was a little of both."
He denied CentreVenture officials
were disappointed they received only
three responses initially, which proved
unacceptable.
" Our expectations were relatively
low. And there's no panic for us to do
something ( with the property)."
He said the hotel has been leased
back to the previous owners, who will
continue to operate it as a " dry" hotel
until a long- term solution is found.
" And it's still a valuable property," he
added.
CentreVenture purchased the St.
Regis last November as part of a push
to curb excessive intoxication and improve
safety downtown. It then shut
down the hotel's beverage room and
VLT lounge, and leased it back to the
previous owners.
The St. Regis is one of two older
downtown hotels the city agency has
purchased since late last fall. The other
is the Carlton Inn on Carlton Street,
which is also slated for redevelopment.
McGowan said CentreVenture took
possession of that now- vacant hotel on
Friday, and will soon apply for a demolition
permit. It hopes to demolish the
two- storey structure within the next
eight to 10 weeks.
He said it's still too soon to disclose
what is likely to be built in its place. But
he strongly hinted in May a new hotel
could rise from the rubble.
Winnipeg Convention Centre officials
have been lobbying for a new
international- brand hotel to be built
near the Convention Centre to help accommodate
an anticipated increase in
convention business once its $ 180- million-
plus addition opens in 2017. The
Carlton Inn property is located across
the street from the WCC.
murray. mcneill@ freepress. mb. ca
By Murray McNeill
CentreVenture won't ID mystery St. Regis redeveloper
W ESTJET is reviving nonstop
daily service between
Winnipeg and
Saskatchewan's two largest cities
beginning early next year.
A spokeswoman for the Calgarybased
airline said Tuesday its new
regional air service - WestJet
Encore - will offer twice- daily
non- stop flights between Winnipeg
and Regina beginning on Jan.
15, and between Winnipeg and
Saskatoon starting on Feb. 15.
Brie Ogle said WestJet halted
direct flights between Winnipeg
and the two Saskatchewan cities
in May 2009.
That left Air Canada as the
only carrier offering direct service.
Winnipeggers wanting to
fly WestJet had to fly to Calgary
first, then catch a plane to Regina
or Saskatoon.
Ogle said WestJet didn't halt
direct service because it wasn't
popular.
" It is and always has been. It's
just the aircraft we were using
didn't match the ( passenger) volumes
we were seeing."
She said back then, WestJet
was using 116- to 166- seat planes,
while its new regional service will
use 78- seat jets. That will better
match the number of passengers
expected on the flights, she added.
The new flights to and from Saskatchewan
are among a number
of additions to WestJet's 2013- 14
winter schedule. The airline said
it is adding four new non- stop
routes - the other two are between
Vancouver and Kamloops,
B. C., and Calgary and Miami -
and two new year- round routes.
It's also adding more flights on
29 existing routes within its network.
Ogle said Winnipeg Airports
Authority Inc. and WestJet's own
customers lobbied to have the two
routes included as part of the new
regional service. And the airline
is thrilled to be able to do that.
In May, WestJet announced it
was also adding daily non- stop
service between Brandon and Calgary,
beginning Sept. 3.
WAA president and CEO Barry
Rempel said the new flights will
be welcome additions.
Not only will they provide more
options for local flyers, they
should also help drive down airfares
on the routes.
He said WestJet's round- trip
airfare between Winnipeg and
the two Saskatchewan cities is
expected to be about $ 400, which
is about $ 100 cheaper than what
Air Canada charges. He said he
expects Air Canada to reduce its
fares to match WestJet's fares
once the new service starts.
Rempel said the lower airfares
and expanded service could also
lead to more business dealings between
companies here and in Saskatchewan,
which would be good
for the local economy.
" The more carriers there are
and the more choices there are,
the more opportunities there are
to do business," he added.
The addition of the two new
routes should also help boost passenger
volumes at Winnipeg's
James Richardson International
Airport. Second- quarter results
released Tuesday by the WAA
show passenger traffic at the airport
was down two per cent in the
quarter that ended June 30.
Rempel blamed the decline on
national carriers reducing the
number of flights on some routes,
or switching to smaller planes in a
bid to boost passenger loads.
" Winnipeg has not been immune
to those changes in capacity..." he
added.
But he noted Q2' s drop in passenger
volumes was smaller than
Q1' s three per cent decline, so
things are trending in the right
direction.
" And with Encore being announced
( for next year), I'm sure
we'll start to see some of that
come back."
Despite the year- over- year decline
in passenger volumes, the
WAA still reported an increase in
second- quarter revenues - $ 23.1
million versus $ 20.9 million -
and in earnings before interest
and taxes - $ 4.2 million versus
$ 3.1 million.
murray. mcneill@ freepress. mb. ca
OTTAWA - The federal finance minister is stepping
into a fee dispute between Canada's merchants
and the big credit card companies after the Competition
Tribunal sided with Visa and MasterCard in
a landmark ruling.
Jim Flaherty said Tuesday in light of the ruling,
he will convene a special meeting of the government's
FinPay Committee - a consultative body on
payments issues that includes representatives from
consumer, small business and retail groups, as well
as the credit card industry.
The Competition Bureau had brought a complaint
to the tribunal that the credit card companies exert
too much power in forcing merchants to accept
credit cards that carry higher processing fees.
Those fees are among the highest in the world,
according to the bureau, adding up to between $ 5
billion and $ 7 billion annually.
But the tribunal dismissed the case Tuesday,
saying its reasons, at least for now, are being kept
under wraps.
" The tribunal's reasons are confidential at this
time in order to protect properly confidential evidence,"
it said in a statement.
" A public version of the decision will ( be) issued
as soon as possible after a determination as to what
information must remain confidential has been
made."
In a summary of its decision, the tribunal made
two findings.
First, it found Visa and MasterCard did not violate
Section 76 of the Competition Act, which would
require merchants resell credit- card products.
However, it also found restrictions imposed on
merchants by Visa and MasterCard, preventing
them from applying a surcharge on those customers
paying with credit cards, may have had an adverse
effect on competition.
Still, the tribunal rejected the complaint on that
basis, placing the ball in the government's court.
It said regulatory change is the proper solution
to concerns raised by the commissioner about anticompetitive
behaviour on the part of the credit
card companies.
And it suggested there would be a consumer
backlash should merchants be allowed to impose
surcharges on customers using cards that carry
higher interchange fees.
" In that regard... the experience in other jurisdictions
showed that concerns would be raised by
consumers regarding surcharging and that sooner
than later, intervention would have to take place by
way of regulation."
In response, Flaherty said Canada's small- business
owners and consumers " deserve clear information
and fair and transparent rules on the type
of payment system they use."
The minister added while he reviews the tribunal's
decision he will monitor any potential appeal.
The ruling will benefit consumers, who will not
have to face additional costs for using credit cards
that offer reward points, said MasterCard Canada
president Betty Devita.
" The ability to do ( transactions) without having
to think about whether or not there will be a surcharge
or confusion at the checkout is positive for
both consumers as well as merchants," she said.
Small businesses were hoping the case would provide
merchants new powers to push back against
rapidly rising credit card processing fees, said the
Canadian Federation of Independent Business.
- The Canadian Press
WestJet adds routes
Non- stop flights to Regina, Saskatoon restored
By Murray McNeill
SUPPLIED PHOTO
WestJet Encore's Q400 has 78 seats, making it a better fit for the regional routes than previously employed, higher- capacity jets.
Flaherty
promises
clarity on
card fees
' The more carriers
there are and the
more choices there
are, the more
opportunities there
are to do business'
- WAA president
Barry Rempel
B_ 06_ Jul- 24- 13_ FP_ 01. indd B6 7/ 23/ 13 8: 06: 50 PM
;