Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - July 28, 2013, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A4
H ISTORICAL research reveals government
officials tested tuberculosis vaccines on
impoverished aboriginal people during
the 1930s instead of fixing poor living conditions
that spread the disease.
It's another example of how officials felt they
could use aboriginal people as test subjects
and looked for cheap solutions instead of fixing
underlying problems, says Maureen Lux,
a Brock University medical historian whose
research is to be released in a book early next
year.
" If ( a vaccine) could provide resistance to
TB, then we didn't need to deal with the economic
situation that was causing the problem,"
said Lux, who first exposed the TB tests in a
1998 paper.
Last week, it was revealed nutritional experiments
were done on unwitting aboriginals
in similar straits during the 1940s. The news
has provoked widespread outrage and rallies
across the country.
Lux, who specializes in the history of aboriginal
people and the medical system, looked
at conditions on reserves in the Qu'Appelle
region of southern Saskatchewan in the early
part of the 20th century.
" People lived in log huts," she said.
" They didn't have the cash for windows or
doors. Living conditions were fairly crude."
Tuberculosis was rampant.
In 1921, officials found 92.5 per cent of aboriginal
children tested positive for exposure
to the infectious respiratory disease - almost
twice the percentage of non- aboriginal children.
Overall health was so poor the childmortality
rate surpassed the birth rate.
Lux, whose research resurfaced in a report
by the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network
earlier this week, found officials understood
the link between health and living conditions.
In 1930, a showpiece settlement was built
at the File Hills Farm Colony. Log huts were
swapped for frame houses, new wells were
dug, families were given chickens and garden
seed and extra nutrition was provided to children
and expectant mothers.
Tuberculosis death rates were halved. But
the File Hills model wasn't followed.
" It was clear that with slightly better living
conditions, tuberculosis could be dealt with,"
Lux said.
" But that's a fairly expensive proposition. The
vaccine was a much cheaper alternative. This
provided great hope for the Department of Indian
Affairs and the National Research Council."
The vaccine had been previously tested
on working- class children in Montreal, but
researchers found it difficult to keep track of
their test subjects. The Qu'Appelle aboriginals,
who couldn't leave their reserves without
a permit and who had high rates of infection,
were thought to be just right for the job.
Between October 1933 and 1945, a total of
609 infants were involved in the tests - half
given the vaccine, half not.
Results were clear: Nearly five times as
many cases of TB among the non- vaccinated
children. But the real lesson from the tests was
the connection between dire living conditions
and overall health.
Of the 609 children in the tests, 77 were dead
before their first birthday, only four of them
from TB. Both vaccinated and unvaccinated
groups had at least twice the non- tuberculosis
death rate as the general population.
" The most obvious result of the... vaccine
trials was that poverty, not tuberculosis, was
the greatest threat to native infants."
The vaccine was judged safe and remains in
use in many places today. Living conditions on
reserves remained unaddressed.
" The trial was a success, but unfortunately
the patients died."
- The Canadian Press
TB vaccines tested on natives
Latest example
of guinea- pig
treatment
By Bob Weber
LLOYDMINSTER, Sask. - Six people died
in a collision involving a semi and another
vehicle, RCMP said Saturday.
Police were called early Saturday to the
scene of what they thought was a semi
rollover about six kilometres southeast of
the city straddles the Saskatchewan- Alberta
border.
When officers arrived, they determined a
car had also been involved in the crash, said
Cpl. Rob King.
" Once they arrived on scene, they determined
that it wasn't a simple rollover of a
semi truck as was first initially reported, but
it had been a collision between a semi- tanker
truck that was hauling crude oil and a fourdoor
small passenger car," he said.
" The semi had flipped over onto its top,
onto its roof, into a slough, and the four- door
passenger car was completely submerged."
RCMP say the victims were all from the
car - three males and three females ranging
in age from 13 to 17.
RCMP say the collision happened at an
intersection while the car had been heading
east along a rural township road.
Five of the victims were pronounced dead
at the scene. One was rushed to hospital but
died a short time later.
" Somehow he had been able to free himself
from the vehicle when our members got
there," King said.
Police have not released the names of any
of the victims, but King said they were from
the " rural area."
The driver of the semi was taken to hospital
with undetermined injuries.
- The Canadian Press
Six die in horrid Sask. highway crash
Car, semi collide
near Alberta border
OTTAWA - A senior federal minister warmly
thanked Liberal MP Marc Garneau for helping
to get the Canadarm displayed in a national
museum - just three weeks before Garneau
was snubbed at the official unveiling.
Industry Minister Christian Paradis' April
10 letter to Canada's first astronaut was full
of praise for Garneau's efforts to persuade
officials to install the space arm at Ottawa's
aviation museum.
The missive, in French and hand- addressed
to " Marc," was also copied to James Moore,
then heritage minister and responsible for the
museum.
Three weeks later, on May 2, Moore spoke
at a splashy event showing off the Canadarm
display to journalists and 62 invited VIPs.
But Garneau, the first Canadian in space
and a key voice in creating the display, was not
among them.
He tweeted even as the ceremony unfolded:
" Would really have appreciated invitation from
Gov't to attend. No such luck," later accusing
the Conservatives of petty partisanship.
As the snub was reported online and over
broadcast outlets, an unapologetic Moore stood
up in the House of Commons that afternoon
and dismissed Liberal MPs' heckling about the
incident.
" Members opposite can obsess about their
caucus and maybe we will obsess about Canadian
history," he said.
Six months earlier, on Nov. 22, Moore had
himself written to Garneau thanking him for
a letter - hand- addressed to " James" almost
four months earlier - urging the display of
the Canadarm at the museum.
The letters and other material related to the
incident were obtained under the Access to
Information Act.
A spokeswoman for Moore said on the day of
the snub that the museum - not the minister
- was responsible for the guest list, distancing
the politicians from the public servants who
helped organize the event.
The letters and other previously released records,
however, indicate close oversight of the
media event by both ministers' offices and by
the Privy Council Office, the prime minister's
own department.
For more than three months, officials in the
ministers' offices and PCO vetted all the planning
documents and news releases for the May
2 unveiling.
Garneau received a telephone apology days
later from a museum official, who took the
blame for the " oversight." Garneau says the
woman " took the fall."
" I believe my status as a Liberal MP played
a role given the highly partisan nature of the
current Conservative government," he said.
Four former Canadian astronauts were on the
guest list, though they did not attend.
Dozens of emails from ordinary citizens to
Moore, also obtained under access to information,
show a similar - and universal - contempt
for the government's behaviour, even
from Conservative party supporters.
" Regardless of whomever made up the guest
list, YOU should have had the courage and
thoughtfulness to make sure that Marc Garneau
was there," wrote one person the evening
of the snub.
That was echoed in another email: " You
might not have been responsible for the guest
list but you are in charge of the department, so
the responsibility falls on your shoulders."
- The Canadian Press
Garneau
thanked
and then
snubbed
Praised by minister;
not invited to event
By Dean Beeby
NEWS CANADA I WORLD A4 SUNDAY, JULY 28, 2013
RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - Pope Francis
drew an estimated two million flag- waving
faithful to Rio's Copacabana beach on Saturday
for the final evening of World Youth Day,
hours after he chastised the Brazilian church
for failing to stem the " exodus" of Catholics to
evangelical congregations.
Francis headed into the final hours of his first
international trip riding a remarkable wave
of popularity. By the time his open- sided car
reached the stage for the vigil service Saturday
night, the back seat was piled high with soccer
jerseys, flags and flowers tossed to him by adoring
pilgrims lining the beachfront route.
" I'm trembling, look how good you can see
him!" gushed Fiorella Dias, a 16- year- old Brazilian
who jumped for joy as she reviewed the
video she shot as the Pope passed by. " I have
got to call my mother!"
The vigil capped a busy day for the Pope
in which he drove home a message he has
emphasized throughout the week in speeches,
homilies and off- the- cuff remarks: the need
for Catholics, lay and religious, to shake up the
status quo, get out of their stuffy sacristies and
reach the faithful on the margins of society or
risk losing them to rival churches.
In the longest and most important speech of
his four- month pontificate, Francis took a direct
swipe at the " intellectual" message of the church
that so characterized the pontificate of his
predecessor, Benedict XVI. Speaking to Brazil's
bishops, he said ordinary Catholics simply don't
understand such lofty ideas and need to hear the
simpler message of love, forgiveness and mercy
that is at the core of the Catholic faith.
" At times we lose people because they don't
understand what we are saying, because we
have forgotten the language of simplicity
and import an intellectualism foreign to our
people," he said. " Without the grammar of
simplicity, the church loses the very conditions
which make it possible to fish for God in the
deep waters of his mystery."
In a speech outlining the kind of church he
wants, Francis asked bishops to reflect on why
hundreds of thousands of Catholics have left the
church for Protestant and Pentecostal congregations
that have grown exponentially in recent
decades, particularly in Brazil's slums or favelas ,
where the poor welcome their charismatic
message and nuts- and- bolts advice.
- The Associated Press
Two million
say farewell
to Francis
in Brazil
JASON FRANSON / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Crews work to pull a submerged semi out of a slough after it was involved in a collision that killed six teens in a car Saturday.
FELIPE DANA / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
An estimated two million gather on Copacabana beach to see Pope Francis Saturday.
A_ 04_ Jul- 28- 13_ FP_ 01. indd A4 7/ 27/ 13 10: 59: 44 PM
;