Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - February 13, 2014, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A7
winnipegfreepress. com COURTS WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2014 A 7
WOW! Over 76% Sold
License No. MGCC1517RF
ORDER ONLINE
StBMegaMillionChoices. ca
TICKETS 1 for $ 100 | 2 for $ 175 | 4 for $ 250 | 9 for $ 500
PHONE 204- 256- 7203 TOLL FREE 1- 855- 256- 7203
IN PERSON: St- Boniface Hospital, 409 Taché Ave, Winnipeg MB
............ .............. Monday - Friday 10am - 3pm .................. .......... C1026: Monday - Friday 8: 30am - 4: 30pm
.......... .......... .......... 47 Borealis Bay, Weekends 1pm - 5pm T& T Seeds: 7724 Roblin Blvd, Headingly, 9am - 5pm
OUT !
SOLD 5
ALREADY OVER $ 740,000 WINNER
..........
..........
St- Vital Mall
The Hospital Lottery with ONLY 69,600 TICKETS available.
........ .......... ............ .. .......... ........ ........ ................ .......... .. .......... ........ ................ .... ........ ............ ............
......
........ ............
............
........ ...... ........ .............. .... ........
7 HUGE Grand Prize Choices
including ........ .............. ..........
1 for $ 10 | 6 for $ 25 | 20 for $ 50
...... ...... .... ..................
7 vacations or Choose $ 37,777 cash
WARM
for 7 Years.
.............. ...... .............. ........ ...... ...... .......... ............ ........ ...... ..........
...... .............. .............. ........ ...... ............ ................ ...... ........ ........ ............ .... ........
.......... ................ ................ ...... .......... .................. .......... .............. .... ............ ..........
St- Boniface Hospital
Foundation Presents
Sale applies to in- stock merchandise ONLY. Some items and brands
may be excluded – see in store for details. Inventory may be augmented
for better selection. Shop early for best selection.
Retirement &
Store Closing
After more than 50 years in the jewellery business,
Mr. W. K. Chan is retiring
and one of our stores will be closed.
www. wkchan. com
Almost all Fine Jewellery
Selling at Down to only 39¢ On the Dollar of the
Ticketed Price
SALE
St. Vital Centre ( Winnipeg):
Monday to Friday 10: 00 am – 9: 00 pm
Saturday 9: 30 am – 6: 00 pm
Sunday 11: 00 am – 6: 00 pm
Polo Park ( Winnipeg):
Monday to Friday 10: 00 am – 9: 00 pm
Saturday 9: 30 am – 6: 00 pm
Sunday 11: 00 am – 6: 00 pm
Brandon Shoppers Mall: Monday to Saturday 9: 30 am – 9: 00 pm • Sunday 11: 00 am – 5: 00 pm
Sell
FINAL
Reductions
Final Days! y s !
SALE ENDS
Saturday, Feb. 15
A HIGH- PROFILE double homicide
case has collapsed due to concerns
the jury might be tainted
by an unexpected dispute over a key
piece of evidence.
Justin Rosdobutko, 29, is accused of
setting a Winnipeg bathhouse on fire in
October 2009, killing two patrons. His
trial began Monday with him pleading
not guilty to two counts of manslaughter.
But Queen’s Bench Justice Doug
Abra abruptly pulled the plug on the
trial Wednesday, saying going further
could be dangerous to the administration
of justice.
Specifically, lawyers had previously
agreed the deadly blaze was caused
by arson, and the only question was
whether the accused was responsible.
But the entire tone of the case
changed late Tuesday when the lead
fire investigator was repeatedly
questioned by defence lawyer Todd
Bourcier about the possibility the fire
was started accidentally. This came as
a surprise to both the Crown and the
judge.
“ That was an acknowledged fact.
The only thing we were arguing about
is who set the fire,” prosecutor Deann
Sahulka told court.
She said the Crown’s case would have
proceeded much differently if not for
the pre- trial agreement. For example,
several additional witnesses would
have been called and much more time
would have been required than the
scheduled nine days.
“ The damage has already been
done,” Abra said. He accused the defence
of “ changing horses in midstream”
and said the only remedy was
starting over with a new jury. It could
be many months, even a year or longer,
before that occurs.
Rosdobutko remains free on bail.
Jurors previously heard forensic
analysts who combed through the rubble
of the Aquarius Men’s Bathhouse
on Notre Dame Avenue were able to
determine arson as the cause.
The lead investigator, Kevin Ross,
said one large fire was set in a couch
and a secondary blaze began in a bed.
Both were triggered by “ direct flame
contact” and led to extensive flame
and smoke damage in the building.
Ross said the fact there were two
points of origin made it clear this was
a deliberate act.
Jurors also heard Rosdobutko was
visiting the facility that evening and
told a friend they should “ burn the
bathhouse down.”
Steven Yablonski, 23, and Robert
Gene Clark, 62, died of smoke inhalation.
Yablonski was a local entertainer
and Clark was from Saskatchewan.
There were no witnesses to either
fire being set.
DNA testing on a cigarette butt
found in the room where the bed was
set afire contained a “ mixed profile”
of two people, jurors were told.
Rosdobutko’s DNA was not in the
profile, but his friend’s was.
www. mikeoncrime. com
Dual- homicide
case collapses
Defence spurs call for new trial
By Mike McIntyre
ABOVE: Robert Clark died in the
Aquarius Men’s Bathhouse fire in
October 2009. RIGHT: A vigil that same
month commemorates the men killed
in the blaze.
BORIS MINKEVICH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES
A_ 07_ Feb- 13- 14_ FP_ 01. indd A7 2/ 12/ 14 9: 09: 56 PM
;