Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - February 24, 2014, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A12
A 10 WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, MONDAY, FEBRUARY 24, 2014 CANADA / WORLD winnipegfreepress. com
204- 697- 1400
1400 McPHILLIPS 1 BLOCK NORTH OF INKSTER
SAVE TIME . SHOP ON- LINE www. jimgauthierchevy. com
www. jimgauthierchev. com
* All payments plus taxes, freight and fees. All rebates to and incentives to dealer.
Loyalty credits included, 60 month lease, interest rates from 0% - 3.9% apr. See dealer for details.
THE GAUTHIER AUTO GROUP IS PROUD TO BE THE # 1 VOLUME DEALER IN WPG!!
Jim Gauthier Chevrolet
Check out the
0%
LEASE
AVAILABLE
LEASING IS BACK!
$ 1 14 B W
L E A E S E F O R A S L O W AS
$ 6 4 B W
L E A S E F O R A S L O W A S
$ 7 5 B W
L E A E S E F O R A S L O W A S
$ 1 05 B W
L E A S E F O R A S L O W A S
2014 CHEVROLET
TRAX
Why get tied
up in a long term
finance contract
when you can lease
a NEW vehicle
every 3 or
4 years?
OPEN
MON & TUES
9AM- 9PM
2014 CHEVROLET
CRUZE
2014 CHEVROLET
SONIC
2014 CHEVROLET
MALIBU
QUEBEC - Quebec has confirmed a
case of the deadly pig virus that has
already killed millions of piglets in the
United States, the fourth province to do
so.
The province's agriculture ministry
said on Sunday the virus, known as porcine
epidemic diarrhea, was detected
on a farm in the Mont�r�gie region
south of Montreal. The farm has been
placed under quarantine to prevent the
virus spreading.
" All means are being taken to limit
the spread of the virus, and we continue
to monitor the situation closely in
the province of Quebec," Michel Major,
Quebec's chief veterinarian, said in a
statement Sunday.
" We must remain vigilant and ensure
that strict biosecurity measures are applied
by carriers, slaughterhouses, producers
and all stakeholders."
The ministry is asking farmers to
immediately contact their veterinarian
if their pigs show signs of the disease.
Cases have already been confirmed
in Ontario, Prince Edward Island and
Manitoba.
The disease, which poses no risk to
human health or safety, first emerged
in Canada less than a month ago at a
southwestern Ontario pig farm.
Ontario has reported 21 cases of porcine
epidemic diarrhea.
It's generally fatal for young animals,
while older ones can recover.
The highly contagious virus is
thought to have originated in China.
The Canadian Food Inspection
Agency said last week it's looking into
whether the virus is being transmitted
through swine feed.
The agency said tests are underway
to find out whether feed is a contributing
factor to the outbreak.
- The Canadian Press
Pig virus
confirmed
in Quebec
L OS ANGELES - Jason Collins became
the first openly gay active
player in the National Basketball
Association on Sunday, breaking
ground in major professional U. S. team
sports as the country's growing acceptance
of gay rights continues.
He entered the first game with his
new team Sunday night just hours
after signing a 10- day contract with the
Brooklyn Nets, and he told reporters
beforehand his focus was on how he'd
do.
" I don't have time to really think
about history right now," he said.
The 35- year- old Collins revealed at
the end of last season he is gay, but he
was a free agent and had remained unsigned.
After his announcement last
year, numerous NBA players insisted
he would be welcomed in the lockerroom.
He quickly became a kind of ambassador
for gay rights, speaking at
the United Nations and attending U. S.
President Barack Obama's annual state
of the union address last month as a
guest of first lady Michelle Obama.
Collins' signing comes shortly after
Michael Sam, a star college football
player, revealed he is gay, meaning the
National Football League might soon
have its first openly gay active player.
Speaking at a crowded news conference
before his game in Los Angeles
against the Lakers, Collins said he was
aware of the magnitude of his signing,
but added he was most concerned with
learning the Nets' plays.
" The pressure is playing in an NBA
game tonight, and last time I played in
an NBA game was last April," he said.
" So I think that's enough pressure right
there."
The Staples Center crowd welcomed
him with an ovation Sunday night.
Collins had played 12 NBA seasons
before his announcement. He
has played for five other teams and is
well- respected inside and outside the
league.
" The decision to sign Jason was a
basketball decision," Nets general
manager Billy King said in a statement.
" With his experience and size, we felt
he was the right choice for a 10- day
contract."
The Nets posted a photo on their
Twitter account of coach Jason Kidd
watching Collins sign his contract, encouraging
followers to retweet it to welcome
Collins to Brooklyn.
" Jason told us that his goal was to
earn another contract with an NBA
team. Today, I want to commend him on
achieving his goal. I know everyone in
the NBA family is excited for him and
proud that our league fosters an inclusive
and respectful environment," NBA
commissioner Adam Silver said.
Since making his announcement last
year, " Life is more exciting for me,"
Collins said. " I mean, I don't have to
hide who I am, and I can be my normal
self. The past 10 months have been incredible.
I'm making new friends, hearing
different people's stories, sharing
experiences. It's just been an overall
positive."
" I know Jason Collins is a competitor.
One thing I know about him is he fouls
very hard," Miami's Dwyane Wade said
with a laugh. " He's one of those tough
veterans. I'm sure he's happy to be back
playing in the league. Welcome back."
- The Associated Press
Collins
makes
history
on court
Becomes NBA's first
openly gay player
MARK J. TERRILL / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Brooklyn Nets centre Jason Collins
A_ 12_ Feb- 24- 14_ FP_ 01. indd A12 2/ 23/ 14 10: 24: 58 PM
;