Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - January 28, 2015, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A7
winnipegfreepress. com MANITOBA WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 28, 2015 A 7
630 Kernaghan Ave, Door 79 | 204.988.0800
ALL SALES ARE FINAL. NO EXCHANGES OR REFUNDS
W E D N E S D A Y T O F R I D A Y N O O N .. 8 P M | S AT U R D A Y 9 : 3 0 .. 5 P M
Furniture Factory Outlet
JANUARY
CLEARANCE
SALE
ne w st o ck j u s t in
665 Stafford St. ( at Pembina Hwy.)
Stafford Square Mall ( Behind Price Choppers) 204- 453- 6473
BEST PRICE
GUARANTEE!!!
HUGE
SELECTION
OFWALKERS
from $ 185
E
ION
KERS
85
O
O TTAWA - The amount of money Manitoba
will have to spend on natural disasters before
the federal government will come to the
table will almost triple next week when Ottawa
changes the formula for the first time in more
than four decades.
Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney announced
the changes earlier this month, as he
promised also to roll out the promised $ 200- million,
five- year flood- mitigation program promised
in last year's federal budget.
" To strengthen Canada's emergency- management
approach, we are shifting from a reactive
model to one that allows us to better identify, plan
for, and prevent flood risks and the costs for Canadians
that comes with them," Blaney said in a
Jan. 16 news release.
However, as part of the program, he is also
changing the formula for disaster financial assistance
that has the federal government help provinces
pay for major disasters. Since 1971, Ottawa's
assistance has kicked in when the cost of a disaster
reaches the equivalent of $ 1 per person in a
province.
In Manitoba, currently, that would be $ 1.272
million. As of Feb. 1, the formula is going to be set
at $ 2.92 per person, which Blaney says is equivalent
to half the impact of inflation since 1971. In
Manitoba, it means the province will have to cover
100 per cent of the costs of disasters up to $ 3.71
million. After that, Ottawa's share will be up to 90
per cent.
Manitoba NDP MP Niki Ashton said Tuesday
the government is once again off- loading costs
onto the provinces. " This will have a huge impact
in Manitoba," said Ashton. " In the last five years,
we have had three major floods, as well as other
disasters. Under the new rules, the current government
is upping the threshold, leaving municipalities
and the province with no relief."
Blaney initially responded by talking about
an agreement between Ottawa and the province
to address disaster assistance on First Nations.
After Nova Scotia MP Robert Chisholm followed
Ashton's question with one of his own, Blaney addressed
the overall problem.
" Let us be clear," Blaney said. " This program
was not updated, nor indexed, for decades. We took
half the indexation. The provinces are still a part of
the program. We will continue to support the provinces
and the communities whenever it is needed in
this country, and we will face the challenge."
A spokesman for Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger
said this issue will be raised Friday, when
the premiers meet in Ottawa.
mia. rabson@ freepress. mb. ca
NDP leadership candidate Theresa Oswald
said a government she leads would
teach injury prevention in school, hire
more workplace health and safety inspectors
and ensure an independent
review is carried out into every workplace
death.
At a news conference Tuesday at the
Union Centre on Broadway, Oswald
said she would also like to see a higher
percentage of workers covered by
workers compensation in Manitoba. At
about 75 per cent, Manitoba trails other
western provinces and ranks third- last
in Canada, she said.
The government has taken " terrific
strides" to help make workplaces safer
but more must be done, Oswald said.
In 2013, there were more than 30,000
reported workplace injuries and 34
deaths.
" This is unacceptable," the former
jobs and the economy minister said.
Oswald said she's also prepared to
change a Workers Compensation Board
rate provision that rewards employers
with fewer injury claims. She said this
has led some employers to illegally suppress
injured workers' claims to keep
their rates down instead of establishing
proven injury- prevention strategies.
Oswald said she would hire five new
workplace health and safety inspectors
over the next two years to focus on
high- risk sectors such as health care,
while expanding the use of enforcement
blitzes that target specific sectors.
She said workplace safety and injury
prevention should be part of the school
curriculum and she would ensure the
Safe Workers of Tomorrow program is
sufficiently funded.
She said mandatory independent reviews
of workplace deaths should be
done in a timely fashion and focus on
prevention so changes can be made to
avoid similar incidents in the future.
Rob Hilliard, a former president of the
Manitoba Federation of Labour, said he
was happy to endorse Oswald's ideas.
" Kids coming out of high school are
a very high- risk group for injury in the
workplace," he said. " This is a targeted
area that needs attention."
Hilliard, who handles WCB appeals
for the United Food and Commercial
Workers union, also said he knows of
hundreds of instances where employers
have attempted to suppress compensation
board claims.
Oswald said the government recently
introduced tougher penalties for employers
who try to prevent workers from
filing WCB claims. A stakeholder group
is also reviewing the WCB rate model.
larry. kusch@ freepress. mb. ca
Disaster costs to triple after formula change
By Mia Rabson
Oswald turns attention
to workplace safety
By Larry Kusch
Enough
to frost
your
ski poles
A cross- country
skier follows a
trail alongside
trees covered
in hoarfrost
in Assiniboine
Park Tuesday
morning.
MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
CHANGE A LIFE
SSEENNDD AANN IINNNNEERR CCIITTYY KKIIDD TTOO CCAAMMPP
MAKE YOUR DONATION TODAY. 204- 582- 8779 .. ......................
Camp. builds self- esteem,
since 1986. character, leaders and community.
A _ 07_ Jan- 28- 15_ FP_ 01. indd A7 1/ 27/ 15 8: 43: 59 PM
;