Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - January 30, 2015, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A11
winnipegfreepress. com CANADA WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, FRIDAY, JANUARY 30, 2015 A 11
All Floor Model Furniture MUST be liquidated to prepare for our
MASSIVE REMODELLED BUILDING
80 %
OFF
SAVE
UP
TO
SAVE UP TO
50% OFF
Plus
CLOSING
STORE
EVERYTHING MUST GO!
REMODELING SALE
Everything must be sold to prepare for our massive remodel.
www. la- z- boy. com/ winnipeg . Locally Owned & Operated
Winnipeg 1425 Ellice Ave ( 204) 783- 8500
MON - FRI 10- 8 SAT 10- 6 SUN 11- 5 PM
all accessories with a
furniture purchase
5 MILLION
Liquidation SHOP EARLY FOR
BEST SELECTION Sale
Expedited Delivery
on In- Stock Items
Ronald McDonald
House Charities �
Free In- Home
Design Assistance
SELECTIO
Do n't miss out!
Connect with Us:
LAST DAY SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 1ST!
EVERYTHING MUST GO!
E DMONTON - Premier Jim Prentice
says he and his cabinet ministers
will cut their pay by five
per cent to set a tone of self- sacrifice as
Alberta deals with billions of dollars in
lost oil revenue.
" This is the kind of leadership that
Albertans expect from their elected
officials in these challenging times,"
Prentice told a news conference at the
legislature Thursday.
Prentice said the reduction will kick
in Sunday.
With the change, cabinet ministers
will now make $ 190,950 a year, down
from $ 201,000.
Prentice will make almost $ 207,000,
down from $ 217,750.
The premier said he will ask his whip,
George VanderBurg, to bring forward
a motion next week to the legislature
committee that handles pay to pass a
similar measure for government backbenchers
and opposition members.
If the other MLAs accept the cut,
it would reduce their annual pay by
$ 6,700 to $ 127,300. If accepted by all 87
legislature members, the savings would
total about $ 600,000, Prentice added.
He said the five per cent was selected
because it was " a reasonable number."
Prentice signalled last week reductions
were coming from his team as he crafts
a financial plan, to be presented next
month, he says will fundamentally restructure
Alberta's economic model with
an eye to getting off the roller- coaster of
volatile oil- resource revenues.
Oil prices have plunged from more
than US$ 100 a barrel last summer to
less than $ 50 a barrel today, siphoning
billions of dollars from the treasury.
Prentice has said many ideas are on the
table, including a sales tax and changing
the 10 per cent flat tax on income. He has
ruled out changing oil royalties, which
critics have said are too low.
He has also said he will talk to the
public- sector unions given they are, on
average, the highest paid in Canada.
Prentice was asked if Thursday's
announcement was to pave the way to
asking the unions for a similar five per
cent cut. " Discussions with the public
service have begun ( but) we have not
put specific measures on the table,"
said Prentice.
He said the pay for deputy ministers
and other senior civil- service bureaucrats
are also in play.
" The discussions will involve everyone
who is paid by the citizens of Alberta,"
he said.
Wildrose Leader Heather Forsyth
said Prentice did not go far enough.
" Today's announcement amounts to
window dressing. It does not go near
far enough to achieve savings or signal
a change in culture," Forsyth said in a
news release.
" MLA wages should also immediately
be rolled back by a full eight per
cent to where they were before the PCs
rewarded themselves with an extra
$ 11,000 in the fall of 2012," she said.
She said cabinet pay should be cut by
30 per cent and adjusted for inflation to
2008 levels.
Gil McGowan, president of the Alberta
Federation of Labour, took to
social media to condemn Prentice's announcement
as cynical bargaining.
" Prentice ( is) setting up for ( an) attack
on public- sector wages, even
though MLAs have enjoyed far bigger
wages and increases than front- line
workers," wrote McGowan.
The announcement and the financial
deliberations are set against a backdrop
of an expected spring election.
- The Canadian Press
WASHINGTON - Long- suffering supporters of the Keystone
XL pipeline won a moral victory in the U. S. Congress
on Thursday - but that's about all they won.
A bill to build the oil pipeline from Canada was approved
by the Senate for the first time in the almost seven- year
struggle over one of the best- known, most- debated pieces
of oil infrastructure in memory.
Previous efforts to approve the pipeline crashed into
the notoriously high hurdle for getting anything through
the U. S. Congress's upper chamber. Thanks to a newly
empowered Republican majority, the legislation finally
cleared that three- fifths requirement Thursday in a vote
of 62- 36.
Now the reality check: It's still not a law. It stands almost
no chance of becoming one. And that's because it didn't get
the 67 votes required to overcome a presidential veto.
The indispensability of those final few votes was driven
home when a spokesman for U. S. President Barack Obama
once again promised a veto.
" Our position on the Keystone legislation is well- known,"
White House spokesman John Earnest said a few hours before
the vote.
"( If) the legislation that passed the
House also passes the Senate, then
the president won't sign it."
The president's position is Congress
has no business deciding
what infrastructure gets approved
to cross the U. S. border. The White
House points out courts have consistently
found such decisions belong to
the president's cabinet.
And the final decision on that
should be announced soon. Under
the standard regulatory process, federal departments have
until Feb. 2 to weigh in, and an announcement could follow
quickly.
The even worse news for Keystone proponents is the project
is now being sucked into a deep partisan wedge - and
appears at risk of getting stuck in a Democrat- Republican
stalemate.
Canadian diplomats have desperately tried to keep it from
being pulled into that partisan chasm. At every available
opportunity, ambassador Gary Doer has mentioned, or appeared
in public with, those very few members of Obama's
party who vocally support Keystone.
But they couldn't have been too pleased with an email
blast from Obama's party headquarters Thursday. The
Democratic National Committee sent out a fundraisingtype
message with the headline: " Stand Against Keystone
XL."
It ridiculed Republicans for making Keystone XL their
first order of business in the new Congress. Democrats
such as progressive populist Elizabeth Warren have
heaped scorn on their decision to make a foreign company's
pipeline the No. 1 legislative priority after the midterm
elections.
Republicans defended their decision after the chamber
passed the bill - whose official number was S. 1.
" For jobs in this country, for energy security, for good
trade relationships with our neighbour in Canada," Alaska's
Lisa Murkowski told the Senate, right after the vote.
" For all the right reasons it was important that we pass
this legislation."
Republicans have already suggested they'll try again -
perhaps by combining a Keystone provision with something
dear to Obama, such as infrastructure spending.
Otherwise, the seven- year Keystone saga faces two more
twists: an inevitable veto announcement in the next few
days and a decision on the merits, perhaps a few days later.
- The Canadian Press
Alberta premier cuts pay for himself, cabinet
Keystone XL
gets Senate OK,
but now comes
Obama veto train
By Alexander Panetta
By Dean Bennett
JASON FRANSON / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Jim Prentice is cutting cabinet pay as Alberta deals with lost oil revenue.
PABLO MARTINEZ MONSIVAIS / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Barack Obama maintains he will veto any Keystone
pipeline bill presented to him.
' Our position on
the Keystone
legislation is
well- known'
- White House
spokesman John
Earnest
A_ 15_ Jan- 30- 15_ FP_ 01. indd A11 1/ 29/ 15 9: 06: 22 PM
;