Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - February 01, 2015, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A10
POLL
Who are you
rooting for
in the
Super Bowl?
Previous polls:
Do you believe monitoring patients for
a time at home, the " virtual waiting
room," will help reduce waits for
hospital admissions?
Yes. A novel idea to
ease bottlenecks. 13%
No. The fundamental issues with
the health service will remain. 56%
Maybe. It's worth a try. 31%
Is the weak loonie influencing
your travel plans?
Yes, I'll stick to travelling
in Canada. 35%
No, I'll still travel abroad. 29%
No, I don't really travel much
anyway. 35%
Will you be boiling your water until
the city gives the all- clear?
Absolutely, don't want to take any
chances. 60%
No, I'm sure it's fine. 27%
I stocked up on bottled water
instead. 14%
Do you agree with EPC's
decision to release construction
company Stuart Olson from its
hotel- building obligation?
Yes. 27%
No. 31%
I have no idea, this whole thing
is so confusing! 41%
Should tobogganing be banned
on city land?
Yes 4%
No 42%
I can't believe any government
would do that. 54%
BLOG OF THE WEEK: TELLING TALES OUT OF SCHOOL
OPINION WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, MONDAY, APRIL 21, 2014
A 10
Winnipeg Free Press
Sunday, February 1, 2015
winnipegfreepress. com
Vote online at
winnipegfreepress. com
I ' VE been watching the court
registry for signs of a lawsuit being
filed, after missing out on what our
informant considered my chance to do
a major story.
It started a
few weeks ago,
when someone
approached us
as the go- between
representing
someone
he described
as a whistleblower
who had
information to
share about the
University of Manitoba.
The go- between, initially anonymous,
turned out to be a he. Eventually,
he gave me the name of the supposed
whistleblower and an opportunity to do
an interview, under certain conditions.
The whistleblower intended to sue
the U of M, though this individual
would have to remain anonymous in
any story I wrote... a tough thing to do,
since it's inherent in filing a lawsuit
that your name be on it. That, and
the described circumstances would
identify the individual to anyone with
knowledge of the situation.
The gist of the information was a
recent graduate of the medical school
has so far been unable to obtain a
residency in the medical specialization
and geographic area of his choosing.
This, I gather, is not all that unusual.
What is unusual is what the young
doctor alleged. Naming names within
the medical school faculty, he alleged
there was a deliberate campaign
against him, his reputation had been
smeared, and the U of M had tried to
force him to go to northern Manitoba
for his residency.
I never talked directly to the young
doctor. I exchanged emails with him
and with the go- between, who also
supplied me with copies of astounding
letters the young doctor's father had
sent to a senior member of the medical
school, and to Theresa Oswald, when
she was still health minister.
I have had occasion to deal with parents
of adult students who get involved
in problems affecting their educated
and empowered adult children, but
never anything approaching the scope
of this father's involvement. The letter
to Oswald took up 10 pages as a computer
attachment and took me more
than half an hour to read.
When supervising professors criticized
the man's son in assessing and
overseeing his academic performance,
it appears, the family then made complaints
about the supervising teacher
to even more senior faculty and government
people above that individual's
head, right up to the minister herself.
There is no indication Oswald even replied,
and my inquiry to cabinet communications
staff went unanswered.
The family says there were threats
against the continued employment of
another family member if they didn't
back off, though no names or details
appear anywhere in the allegations.
The go- between sent me the link to a
YouTube post he said was the key
piece of evidence in the family's case,
and evidence of what it alleges is institutional
racism.
The YouTube post is 93 seconds
long. It consists of a photograph of a
senior member of the medical faculty,
over which is played a conversation
between two unidentified people, one
of whom may not have been aware it
was being recorded. Having listened to
it, I told the go- between it sounds to me
as though two adult men are having an
amicable conversation about the advisability
of doing rounds with patients in
a hospital ward while dressed in black.
We went back and forth for a couple
of weeks before the go- between told
me the family had decided it is not
comfortable dealing with me and preferred
to try its luck with my colleague
Gord Sinclair Jr. when he's back in the
office this month.
I fear several things I said or did deterred
the family from talking to me.
First, I would not guarantee anonymity.
I considered the young doctor a
person with a complaint about his own
situation, possibly legitimate, but not a
whistleblower about systemic problems.
We would be very unlikely to
allow him to remain anonymous while
making these kinds of allegations
about people's character and integrity
and professional abilities, and, anyway,
everyone involved would know who
he is. Filing a lawsuit would make his
name public.
Repeatedly, I told the young doctor
and the go- between about the kind of
extensive substantiation we require
of each of the allegations, including
anything on paper, and any independent
witnesses who would support
his accusations. We had been given
absolutely nothing to prove any of the
allegations were about systemic issues,
and affected any other student, rather
than about how one student's academic
performance was assessed. In a word,
we needed proof.
It did not sit well that I pointed out I
would go to everyone else the family
named, and give all affected and
involved individuals and institutions
an opportunity to respond and to comment
for publication.
And I would not agree to submit any
story to the family before publication.
We'll see how all this plays out
should the family file a statement of
claim. Gord, just a heads- up: They'll
be calling you.
Nick Martin blogs on the
Free Press website.
Evidence essential when making allegations
R EADERS were split on who is to blame for
the postponement on the Heritage Classic
hockey game that was planned at Investors
Group Field next season. Winnipeg Blue Bombers
president and CEO Wade Miller says the NHL
- and its commissioner, Gary Bettman - was
ultimately responsible for putting the outdoor game
on ice.
You tell ' em, Mr. Miller. Bettman doesn't own
everything, even though he thinks he does. There
are other people who exist in this world besides
him.
- lightning
Given the fact the NHL - and the Jets, to a lesser
degree - are making money hand over fist, they
should have been able to cover keeping the stadium
open until February.
I don't blame the Bombers at all. They receive
little to no benefit from the game, and they want to
protect the Grey Cup.
- 46444601
What a joke. An outdoor game one month after
a Grey Cup, and the Bombers refuse to allow the
NHL to host a game. In the U. S., major cities are
beating down the door to host one of these things,
as football and baseball stadiums basically have
200 open dates and would accommodate the game
regardless. You get the chance to host one, you
make it happen! Would not be surprised in the least
if this game doesn't happen for a few years.
- 23737777
The impossible can always be done. The Bombers
did not try hard enough, just like on the field.
- ve4mm
Cry yourselves a river and get over it. These
" Heritage Classics" are just a game, and not very
good ones at that.
Don't get me wrong, I love hockey, but I'd much
rather have the sightlines of an indoor arena than
those at a football stadium.
- j knox
Being lost in all of this was the NHL trying to find
a suitable opponent to play the Jets so the league
would get exposure across North America.
Delaying this till next year was the right decision
for Winnipeg and the Winnipeg Jets. The Jets are
a team on the rise, and hopefully a year from now
the Jets won't need a Chicago or Toronto to play to
make the Heritage Classic a success for the league.
- dsrattops
Note to Wade Miller: With the Jets improving, the
time has run out on the Bombers' excuses. The city
will support a hard- working team that is improving,
but the free ride of just blaming Joe Mack is over.
Expect backlash if there is no improvement this
year and you have taken our outdoor game away.
- seneca
There are probably several dozen ' reasons' why
this came down the way it did. Love the blame
game the executives play.
- rimshot
A lot of Bettman believers coming out of the woodwork...
Well done, Mr. Miller. This is a case of the
NHL altering a deal already done.
- Waynefd
So we get it in a couple years, big deal.
- Bgt
Smoke and mirrors. Sorry Wade, don't believe you
for a second.
- Shifty23
Picking sides over outdoor game's postponement
NICK
MARTIN
A_ 10_ Feb- 01- 15_ FP_ 01. indd A10 1/ 31/ 15 5: 31: 50 PM
;