Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - July 29, 2015, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A4
A 4 WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, WEDNESDAY, JULY 29, 2015 TOP NEWS winnipegfreepress. com
665 Stafford St. ( at Pembina Hwy.)
Stafford Square Mall ( Behind Price Choppers) 204- 453- 6473
BEST PRICE
GUARANTEED!!!
Scooters $ 1095
from
WED. TO FRI. NOON - 8PM | SAT. 9: 30AM - 5PM
ALL SALES ARE FINAL. SOLD AS IS
IN JULY UP 75 %
TO OFF
Furniture
Factory
Outlet
630 Kernaghan Ave
Door 79 | 204.988.0800
We can help.
204- 925- 0600 or 1( 800) 805- 8885
www. adam. mb. ca
SUBMITTED PHOTO
Wesley Moneyas ( left) accuses the provincial government of ' nickel- and- diming' the project, which was announced before the 2011 election.
A COMMUNITY is still waiting for an
interpretive centre promised by the
Selinger government five years ago.
The $ 2.5- million interpretive centre at
the Hollow Water First Nation was heralded
as a " first- of- its- kind attraction" by Premier
Greg Selinger in 2010.
It was designed to teach visitors about
the cultural heritage of the area, touted as
the gateway to Manitoba's east side and the
world's last intact boreal forest.
Hollow Water is 210 kilometres northeast
of Winnipeg.
Five years later, the site of the planned
Waabanong Anishinaabe Interpretive
Learning Centre in Currie's Landing Wayside
Provincial Park, just east of Hollow
Water, sits vacant and the government is
being accused of " nickel- and- diming" the
First Nation.
Wesley Moneyas, chairman of the nonprofit
corporation in charge of the centre,
said residents have lost faith and patience
in the provincial government.
" When you promise people that you are
going to build something and then you negate
on that promise, then the trust is gone,"
Moneyas told the Free Press .
The government said the project was
delayed after there was a " change in scope"
and the province wanted " to take the time
ensure we got it right," said Michelle Wallace,
executive director at the Manitoba
Tourism secretariat.
The change in scope meant instead of a
building, there would be a system of trails
and interpretive programming similar to
what's planned for Upper Fort Garry Park
in Winnipeg.
" There was an extensive process of working
with the community and consulting
with them, so yes it did take some time, but
we are glad we are moving forward with it
now," Wallace said.
Moneyas, a former councillor at the First
Nation who currently resides in the area,
has a different take on the redesign.
" Without the building, you don't have
anything. What you have is a park," he
said, adding he was consistently at odds
with provincial representatives over the
redesign.
" Every meeting we went to, we always
said that the building is the focus of this
project. Without the building, you are
nickle- and- diming the project."
Prairie Architects Inc. was originally
tapped to design the project and released
renderings of an expansive design consisting
of two levels, a roof garden, an
elders gathering place and a classroom.
When the project was announced in 2010,
Prairie Architects was involved and construction
was scheduled for spring of 2011.
However, according to Moneyas and
Don Suillivan, the interim director of the
centre, the plan was too ambitious and the
contractor that won the bid for the design,
Falcon Lake Industries, was unable to deliver
the project within budget.
The design was scrapped, forcing the
government back to the drawing board.
Last month, the province opened up invitations
to bid for phase one of the project,
with a design from ft3 Architecture Landscape
Interior Design.
Tourism Minister Ron Lemieux said the
project will be completed in three phases.
Lemieux, who was not the tourism
minister in 2010, was not aware of the first
design, but said he was " disappointed" by
the comments made by Moneyas.
" The main principle is that we are supportive
of the interpretive centre, the
money is still there and still on the table,
and we are going to work within that $ 2.5
million to phase it in," Lemieux said.
" The commitment has always been
there... some people are shooting for the
stars and they want something much larger
than what may not be financially practical."
Moneyas said the community feels used
by the Selinger government, which announced
the project ahead of the 2011
election.
Since bids for phase one of the overhauled
project are currently being accepted,
it will give the government a
chance to again make an announcement
ahead of the 2016 election, he said.
" They are going to make a whole bunch
of promises again to entice the voters in
our area and it seems like a pattern: a lot of
promises and big empty spaces," he said.
kristin. annable@ freepress. mb. ca
' Trust is gone' as province
delays First Nation project
Five years later,
interpretive centre
remains unbuilt
By Kristin Annable
PRAIRIE ARCHITECTS
Above and below: renderings of the original
design for the interpretive centre.
OTTAWA - First Nations that don't comply with federal
rules to make public the salaries of chiefs and council and
finances of band- owned businesses will start seeing federal
funding docked by Sept. 1, Aboriginal Affairs Minister Bernard
Valcourt said Tuesday.
In a statement, Valcourt said there will be no grace period
or extension like there was last year, the first year the First
Nations Fiscal Transparency Act was in effect.
" I have directed that the sanctions not target essential services
that support First Nation members," Valcourt said.
That means funding for things such as health care and social
assistance won't be touched but funding for band council
operations, including salaries, non- essential projects and
pensions, will be withheld.
Last year, only 12 of 582 bands across the country refused
to comply with the new reporting requirements. Two of them
were in Manitoba - Roseau River First Nation and Dakota
Tipi First Nation.
Valcourt said bands that don't comply will get several formal
reminders, but there will be no extensions.
" Our government will continue to stand firm for accountability
and transparency for all Canadians, and we urge all
band leadership to file the appropriate documents in accordance
with the law," he said.
NDP aboriginal affairs critic Niki Ashton said she finds
the statements " very troubling."
" The government is playing games with people's lives in
communities where the needs are immense," said Ashton.
She added it's rich for the government to be demanding
transparency from First Nations in the same week its MPs
vote down a plan to call Finance Minister Joe Oliver to testify
in public about the state of Canada's finances after several
banks predicted Canada was in a recession for the first
half of the year.
Ashton also accused the government of " race baiting" by
putting out a news release demanding First Nations open up
their books when most complied with the law last year.
mia. rabson@ freepress. mb. ca
First Nations
to lose funding
if books closed
Feds vow to end grace period
By Mia Rabson
THE Canadian Museum for Human Rights and its proponents,
Gail Asper and Moe Levy, are the winners of
this year's Mahatma Gandhi Peace Award.
The award will be presented during a ceremony Nov.
5 at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights. The Mahatma
Gandhi Centre of Canada began conferring the
award in 2010 to honour " original thinkers and initiators
of conflict resolution," it said in a press release.
Previous award recipients include Dr. Izzeldine
Aboulaish, known as the " Gaza Doctor" - whose contributions
toward Arab- Israeli peace were recognized
and later nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, former
Speaker of the Israeli Knesset, Avrum Burg, retired
lieutenant- general Romeo Dallaire for his work on behalf
of the UN during the Rwandan genocide and Justice
Murray Sinclair, chairman of the Canada's Truth
and Reconciliation Commission. No award was given
in 2014.
The Winnipeg- based centre is involved in an innercity
summer teaching program for indigenous students,
essay competitions for senior high school students
promoting messages of peace and non- violence
and it is establishing a scholarship program.
CMHR wins Peace Award
A_ 04_ Jul- 29- 15_ FP_ 01. indd A4 7/ 28/ 15 9: 33: 41 PM
;