Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - April 12, 2020, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A1
CONNECT WITH CANADA'S HIGHEST READERSHIP RATE WEATHER: PARTLY SUNNY. HIGH -1 - LOW -11
�
SUNDAY, APRIL 12, 2020
FOUNDED IN 1872
MORE ON CORONAVIRUS
WAGE SUBSIDY PASSES
Canada's parliament approved a $73-billion
wage-subsidy program Saturday / A4
'EASTER OFFERS HOPE'
Pope Francis urged his followers to have
hope at a late-night mass Saturday / A5
HOMEGROWN SOLUTION
The province is asking local companies to
produce reusable N95 masks / A3
MIDWEST ON ALERT
As the death toll in the U.S. passed 20,000
Saturday, states in the Midwest braced for
a surge in new cases / A5
AMIDST reports of some Mani-tobans heading out of town to soak in the holiday weekend, the
province's top public health officer
once again urged residents to stay
home, refrain from family gatherings
and cancel all non-essential travel,
as the province moves into a critical
stage of COVID-19's pandemic arc.
On Saturday, chief public health offi-
cer Dr. Brent Roussin acknowledged that
visiting the cabin and having no contact
with anyone else is "essentially low risk."
But if a person were to become sick, it
could strain already-limited health care
resources in rural jurisdictions; even
the trip itself may increase potential for
virus transmission.
"Travelling to the cottage may mean
an extra stop at the gas station, it may
mean an extra stop at the grocery store,"
Roussin said, during the daily COVID-19
news briefing on Saturday afternoon.
"Certainly, Manitobans can use their
judgment in many circumstances, but
the overall messaging is to stay home."
Meanwhile, Roussin also cautioned
against the practice of getting together
with friends or family at parks, even
if everyone involved maintains the
recommended two-metre distance be-
tween individuals. While getting fresh
air is healthy, he said, that should still
be done with the spirit of the "stay
home" messaging in mind.
"I don't think any large gatherings,
even maintaining that appropriate dis-
tance, is what we're looking for right
now," he said. "Do so virtually. Right
now we're just in this vital aspect of
our curve. I think the best thing we
can do is minimize contact with others
in person. These strict measures will
keep this curve down."
These cautions came after Roussin
announced 13 new cases of COVID-19,
bringing the total to 243. So far, 96
Manitobans have recovered from the
virus, and the active case load sits at
143. Eight people were in hospital as of
Saturday - three fewer than Friday -
with five of those in intensive care.
None of the newly-announced cases
were health care workers, Roussin said.
Although the active case load ticked
up from Friday's low of 134, it is still
below the week's high of 149. The
health care system is able to absorb
these figures: emergency visits are
down, chief nursing officer Lanette
Siragusa said, and hospital beds,
including in ICU, are at about 70 per
cent capcity, which is lower than usual.
"We've asked Manitobans to take
significant precautions for a number of
weeks, and we may be seeing some of
those benefits paying off," Roussin said.
Stay home for long weekend, Roussin urges
Top public health officer reminds Manitobans to stay put, 13 new cases of COVID-19 announced
Dr. Brent Roussin
? COVID-19 CONTINUED ON A3
Red River flood levels 'something we can handle'
MANITOBA'S municipal leaders in
the Red River basin share a cautious
optimism that the flood risk remains
low, but refuse to lower their guard.
And they watch with great inter-
est at what's happening south of the
border.
High water is pushing its way
from North Dakota, which has flood
warnings in effect in several areas.
Flooding has forced the closure of a
40-kilometre stretch of Interstate 29
in both directions from the Manvel to
Grafton exits.
Several bridges around Grand Forks
are inaccessible, and the water is high
enough to cut off the North Dakota
hamlet of Oslo, which is old news for
the 300 residents protected annually
by a ring dike.
Indeed, it's a scene that's played
out many times before, and isn't
causing Emerson-Franklin Reeve
David Carlson any sleepless nights
quite yet.
"At this point it looks like it's
definitely something we can handle.
We've done our preliminary dike
closures in Emerson in a couple of
spots, which is pretty standard,"
Carlson said Saturday. "The big
concern will be some road washouts,
flooding into the farmland and de-
bris that's left behind, which really
delays harvest. The debris is a real
pain in the neck. Farmers have to
clean out fields and we have to clear
out ditches and it's a real inconve-
nience.
"But if things stay as they are right
now, we're pretty confident things
should be fine."
In St. Norbert, nothing will be left to
chance. Of the 57 properties identified
as high-risk to flooding this spring, 31
are in that ward.
St. Norbert councillor and deputy
mayor Markus Chambers, who joined
a large, enthusiastic crew of volunteer
sandbaggers Thursday at properties
on St. Pierre Street, said the mood was
entirely upbeat.
"People were so positive, really
excited to help out. It's the typical
Winnipeg story, people wanting to
offer support," said Chambers. "I also
think people are tired of being cooped
up" during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Chambers said about 4,700 bags
were placed in four hours to protect
one home. Volunteers stood one to two
metres apart, using a 'zig-zag pattern'
on the assembly line. About half of
participants wore masks.
Earlier this month, Manitoba's
Emergency Measures Office
released a guide to sandbagging
during the pandemic. Among other
options, it suggested using two-
person teams to build small dikes,
with workers alternating trips to the
sandbag stockpile. For large efforts,
it proposed using a "carousel" of
workers staggered 10 feet apart, to
circle between the stockpile and the
dike.
At a news briefing Saturday, the
province's chief public health officer,
Dr. Brent Roussin, said hand sanitizer
should be available on-site for sand-
bag workers. In areas which make
physical distancing difficult, workers
could also wear non-medical masks to
reduce the risk they might unknow-
ingly spread the virus to others, he
added.
"Like other critical-type services,
they have to go on," he said. "I've
reviewed some plans and they're actu-
ally quite good and they do allow for
physical distancing. Our messaging
is, again, stay home if you're ill, even
mild symptoms. They're going to have
hand sanitizer around to ensure good
hand hygiene."
JASON BELL
DANIEL CRUMP / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
The Riverwalk along the Assiniboine River west of The Forks is closed due to high water levels. With Red River water levels rising, sandbagging operations have started at properties at a high risk of flooding.
? FLOODING CONTINUED ON A3
MELISSA MARTIN
A_01_Apr-12-20_FP_01.indd A1 2020-04-11 9:56 PM
;