Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - October 6, 2020, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A4
A 4 TUESDAY, OCTOBER 6, 2020 ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COMNEWS I COVID-19 PANDEMIC
Winnipeg Regional Health Authority
2019-20 Annual General Meeting
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this meeting is being held virtually via
Zoom. Registration is not required. Online, there will be an opportunity to
ask questions live during the AGM. If you plan to call in, please submit your
questions before the AGM to agm@wrha.mb.ca by Oct. 26 at 4 p.m.
Date: Oct. 27, 2020
Time: 2 – 3 p.m.
Webinar link:
http://bit.ly/WRHAAGM2020
Phone details:
Phone number: (833) 955 1088 (Toll-free)
Meeting ID / Webinar ID: 682 9756 3063
Webinar Passcode / Password: 505596
F ACING mounting pressure to re-duce long waits for COVID-19 screening, Manitoba Health Min-
ister Cameron Friesen promised new
increased testing capacity “in a matter
of days.”
The measures will include increas-
ing throughput at current sites and
adding new test sites, he said.
“We know there are Manitobans who
are saying they are waiting for service
at those sites. That is a concern to us,”
Friesen told a news conference Mon-
day. “We are doubling the number of
sites in Winnipeg over the next few
weeks.”
For weeks, Winnipeggers have wait-
ed hours in line to receive a nose swab
to screen for COVID-19 — frequently
only to be turned away after a screen-
ing site had reached its capacity for
the day.
Asked how Manitoba wound up in
this situation, Friesen said other juris-
dictions are facing the same pressures.
“Why is Kitchener (Ont.), why is
Edmonton, why is Saskatoon, why is
Montreal dealing with these issues?
These are issues that are common to
all provinces,” he said.
Earlier in the pandemic, elective
surgeries were put on hold, freeing up
staff to be redeployed elsewhere. Now
many of these health workers are back
at their old jobs.
“The same people who are asking
for (additional) screening sites are also
asking for their hip or their knee sur-
gery or their cataract surgery or their
endoscopy procedure to be done. And
we have said yes to all,” Friesen said.
Asked if a shortage of nurses was
standing in the way of increased
screening capacity, the minister said:
“It’s a variety of factors, not just one
factor.”
NDP Leader Wab Kinew said the
province knew long ago it would re-
quire increased testing capacity in the
fall.
Kinew said Monday he believes the
main problem is a reluctance on the
part of the cost-conscious Pallister
government to spend the money neces-
sary to get the job done.
“This is a slow-moving train that
has been coming down the tracks at us
for more than six months,” the Oppos-
ition leader said. “It’s inexcusable and
it’s indefensible that the government
doesn’t have an answer on testing af-
ter so long.”
If Friesen is looking for creative
ideas, Kinew said his party has sev-
eral.
“We could bring in fast-tracked inter-
national accreditation for people who
are nurses in other countries and are
working here as health-care aides. We
could bring back retired nurses. If this
pandemic is going to last a year or two,
why aren’t we training more people?
There’s a ton of things we could be
doing,” but the province doesn’t seem
willing to pay for them, he said.
“Most of the solutions involve hir-
ing more people and this government
seems to be dead set against having
more people working in the public
sphere.”
Friesen said the government is look-
ing at being “very creative” in how it
tackles the capacity issue, although he
offered few hints at what those innova-
tions might entail.
The province named a “point per-
son” last week to spearhead its analy-
sis of the problem, he said.
Health regions are being asked to
explore how they might beef up staff-
ing at screening sites, how they can
lengthen operating hours at the sites
and how the centres can be more effi-
cient, the minister said.
Already, he noted, the new screening
facility at 1181 Portage Ave. has seen
its daily capacity rise to 100 swabs a
day from 75.
On Monday, the province announced
2,313 coronavirus laboratory tests
were completed Friday, 2,070 on Satur-
day, and 1,235 on Sunday.
Chief provincial public health offi-
cer Dr. Brent Roussin said private and
public labs in Manitoba can now pro-
cess 3,000 COVID-19 tests per day.
— with files from Carol Sanders
larry.kusch@freepress.mb.ca
Report wait times
for COVID-19 testing sites
with our tracker
wfp.to/covidwait
LARRY KUSCH
Province moves to double city’s
COVID-19 test sites: Friesen
LOOKING for a local face mask vendor
online, you scrounge Kijiji and Face-
book Marketplace and come across a
seller advertising personal protective
equipment at a fair price. You inquire,
and quickly hear back they’d be happy
to send goods your way, but require
payment upfront — preferably through
e-transfer or a cryptocurrency.
While the conversation would end
there for many, the Winnipeg Police
Service’s financial crime unit has re-
ceived reports of COVID-19-related
scams “in the hundreds” during the
pandemic, according to WPS Sgt. Allan
Bell.
“(COVID-19) helps to reinforce the
separation between the victim and the
scammer,” Bell told the Free Press on
Monday.
“So that the victim thinks, ‘Oh, that
sounds reasonable, I can’t do what I
usually do because of COVID, so this
must be the way they’re doing it,’ and
they’re sending remote payments to
people that they may not have ordinar-
ily done so.”
Potential scams run the gamut from
online to over the phone to in-person,
and businesses and people alike have
fallen to fraud attempts. Bell recounted
situations where fraudsters will call
employees using openly-available in-
formation to “prove” they are from the
head office of their company, and will
say the business is under threat of clos-
ure unless the employee pre-pays for
PPE allegedly incoming.
“Young employees, being young and
somewhat impressionable, they don’t
want the restaurant to close down.
They’re dedicated employees, and they
will send the money away only to find
out there’s no such shipment or no such
testing going on,” Bell said.
Even those who may consider them-
selves media savvy are liable to fall for
some scams, he said.
“We’re seeing a demographic shift,
where the youngsters who have grown
up with it, it’s almost like, ‘Well, it says
so on the internet, so it must be true,’”
Bell said. “They see it as gospel.”
The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre,
which gathers data on scams, has col-
lected 4,141 reports, 2,963 victims, and
an estimated $5.6 million lost to domestic
COVID-19-related fraud since Aug. 31.
A spokesperson for the group said
it has logged an increase in reports in
March and April, and a plateau in July.
Bell said reports to Winnipeg police
had “come in waves” in the last eight
months.
The largest fraud increase reported
to the CAFC is tied to identity theft and
fraud related to CERB payments —
scams that result in redirected benefits
payments. Bell said similar CERB scams
had been reported to Winnipeg police.
While acknowledging many of the
fraud attempts are typical scams seen
pre-COVID-19, but with a new angle,
Bell expected a net increase of scam-
ming attempts reported to city police
by the end of the year.
“The people who are doing these
frauds, they see an opportunity to take
advantage of somebody, they do it,” he
said.
“So whether you want to call it
COVID, or whether you want to call it
SARS, whether you want to call it some
other issue that’s going on, they seize on
that opportunity because they look at it
from a different angle than the regular,
honest person does.”
Both Bell and the CAFC had similar
advice for the public: disengage, re-
assess, and listen to your gut.
“Research, research research,” the
CAFC spokesperson said via email.
“Take time to verify, don’t react to ur-
gent, high-pressure or coercive demands.
Contact local police, visit the CAFC web-
site, talk to family members and friends,
use the internet to verify to some extent.”
malak.abas@freepress.mb.ca
Twitter: malakabas_
Police
warn of
scams linked
to pandemic
MALAK ABAS
OTTAWA — Canadians forced to miss
work because of COVID-19 can start
applying for financial support from
the federal government this week.
The new benefits come amid con-
cerns about new lockdowns and job
losses as governments try to get a
handle on the growing number of new
cases and prevent health-care systems
from being overwhelmed.
They also follow a bitter political
fight in Ottawa that saw all parties
support the multibillion-dollar suite of
new benefits despite misgivings about
how it was rushed through Parliament
by the Liberal government.
“It is vital that Canadians have ac-
cess to income support that reflects
the impacts the pandemic has on their
employment,” National Revenue Min-
ister Diane Lebouthillier said in a
statement on Sunday.
The new caregiver benefit responds
to numerous calls since the pandemic
started for more support for parents
and others who are forced to miss
work to care for a dependent due to
COVID-19.
Women in particular have seen a
disproportionate impact on their ca-
reers and earnings because of the pan-
demic, with many shouldering much
of the burden of child care and home
schooling.
Canadian households can apply for
$500 per week for up to 26 weeks when
one person misses more than half a
week of work because they have to
care for a child because of the pan-
demic.
That includes children whose
schools or daycares are closed due
to COVID-19, and children who are
forced to miss school or daycare be-
cause they have contracted the virus
or may have been exposed.
The benefit, which Canadians can
apply for through the Canada Revenue
Agency, also applies to people forced to
miss work to care for family members
whose specialized care is unavailable
due to COVID-19.
The federal government anticipates
700,000 Canadians will apply for the
caregiver benefit.
Canadians can also access a new
sick-leave benefit that pays up to
$1,000 over two weeks for those unable
to work because they have contracted
COVID-19 or are forced to self-isolate
because of the virus.
— The Canadian Press
WHILE one Manitoba First Nation may
have avoided a coronavirus outbreak in
its community, another is evacuating
some residents and isolating others af-
ter a flurry of positive tests.
Nineteen people in Little Grand
Rapids, located 268 kilometres
northeast of Winnipeg, near the On-
tario border, have tested positive for
COVID-19 in the wake of events at the
community’s recreation centre more
than a week ago.
Meanwhile, at York Factory First
Nation, which feared an outbreak af-
ter seven members of a family tested
positive when one became infected
while receiving medical treatment
in Winnipeg, 66 tests of community
members who came into contact with
them have tested negative.
Another 30 tests, of people who
came forward saying they, too, had
been in contact, are being analyzed in
Winnipeg.
Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak
Grand Chief Garrison Settee said
Monday he credits the York Factory
chief and council for taking the bold
action necessary to immediately lock-
down the community, located some
700 km north of the city, when the
positive cases became known in late
September.
“They did a good job,” Settee said.
“The lockdown did a lot when it comes
to keeping people stationary.”
However, Settee said the federal
government needs to do more to help
First Nation communities with their
chronic shortages of housing and in-
adequate medical care and facilities.
“Because of overcrowded housing,
we are the most vulnerable and at
risk,” he said. “Most houses only have
one bathroom and that is a risk in
itself — everyone has to use the same
bathroom in a house... and we have to
make concrete steps for health care.
We can no longer be so far behind the
rest of Canadian society.
“Our communities have pandemic
plans, but we don’t have the resources
or medical personnel... you can’t just
talk about it, you have to have action.”
NDP MP Niki Ashton (Churchill—
Keewatinook Aski) said the entire
northern Manitoba region remains
vulnerable to COVID-19 as long as the
numbers go up in the capital city.
“People have no choice but to go
to Winnipeg for essential medical
services,” Ashton said. “And when you
get home, how does someone self-
isolate in a home that’s overcrowded
because of the ongoing housing crisis
on First Nations?
“The federal and provincial govern-
ments need to work with communities
on prevention and mitigation now.”
As for the Little Grand Rapids situ-
ation, Grand Chief Arlen Dumas, of
the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs, said
Monday there could be others who
will test positive elsewhere, because
there were event attendees from other
communities.
Dumas said several of the positive
cases have been airlifted to Winnipeg,
while others are isolating in the com-
munity. “We’ll just have to wait and
see how things develop.”
Little Grand Rapids leadership have
told all community members to stay
at home, except if they need medical
care or need testing because of symp-
toms. One person from each household
can go to the store for essential items.
Melanie MacKinnon, head of the
Ongomiizwin-Indigenous Institute of
Health and Healing at the University
of Manitoba, and a partner of the
Manitoba First Nations COVID-19
Pandemic Response Coordination
Team, said contact investigations are
still ongoing at Little Grand Rapids.
“We expect to find more contacts
and probably find additional cases,”
MacKinnon said. “It has only been 48
hours since the team was deployed.”
MacKinnon said she doesn’t know
what the event was at the recreation
centre, but it followed provincial
guidelines.
“It was a gathering still within the
provincial orders,” she said. “It was
less than 50 people, but it was over a
four-day period. It’s important to note
the guidelines were followed, but a
symptomatic case attended.”
Elsewhere, Nisichawayasihk and O-
Pipon-Na-Piwin Cree Nations imposed
partial lockdowns.
In statements, NCN, which said a
positive case in Thompson may have
been in contact with community mem-
bers, urged its residents to stock up
on essentials. OPCN, which said some
community members had been in con-
tact with the positive case, said “expect
a full lockdown in the coming days.”
kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca
Little Grand Rapids grapples with outbreak
KEVIN ROLLASON
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES
Manitoba Health Minister Cameron Friesen promised increased testing capacity. The measures will include increasing throughput at current sites and adding new test sites.
Federal support for sick workers now available
A_04_Oct-06-20_FP_01.indd A4 10/5/20 10:36 PM
;