Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - October 7, 2020, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A3
ADVANCING MENTAL HEALTH
Victoria General Hospital
FOUNDATION
HEALTHIER FUTURES
BUY TICKETS NOW
LGCA 2390-RF-34768
YOU PLAY OUR COMMUNITY WINS!
50/50 RAFFLE
Tickets on sale until Oct. 16 at 9 a.m.
Jackpot starts at
$2,500!
COVID-19 PANDEMIC
ASSOCIATE NEWS EDITOR: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
A3 WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 7, 2020
COVID-19 AT A GLANCE
Cases:
MANITOBA
Confirmed: 2,246
Resolved: 1,441
Deaths: 24
Active: 781
CANADA
Confirmed: 170,946
Resolved: 1413,766
Deaths: 9,527
(As of 2:36 p.m. Tuesday)
The latest from Manitoba:
● The province reported Tuesday that 1,904 lab tests had been
completed Monday. Manitoba’s five-day COVID-19 test positivity
rate was 2.4 per cent. Of the 56 new cases reported Tuesday,
31 were in Winnipeg, 22 in Interlake–Eastern, two in Southern
Health, and one case in Prairie Mountain.
● Public health officials reported additional possible virus
exposures at two Winnipeg schools: Andrew Mynarski V.C. and
Dufferin School; both on Sept. 28-29. There is no evidence of
in-school transmission or that a case was acquired in the schools,
officials said. Public health reminded residents, starting today, the
requirement for non-medical face masks in all Manitoba health
facilities will extend to doctors’ offices and community service
providers affiliated with the health regions.
The latest from elsewhere:
● Tens of thousands of Muslims descended upon Senegal’s
holy city this week for the annual Grand Magal pilgrimage, a
tradition in West Africa that some fear could become a super-
spreader event for COVID-19. The Magal honours the founder
of the Mouride Brotherhood, Senegal’s most influential religious
order. In previous years, as many as 3 million people have travelled
to the city of Touba during Magal, with many coming from
neighbouring Gambia. With Senegal’s land borders still closed,
fewer pilgrims attended the main events Tuesday. Closely packed
lines queued up to enter the Grand Mosque of Touba, though hand
sanitizer and masks were required to enter.
● New York state will reinstate restrictions on businesses,
churches and schools in and near areas where coronavirus cases
are spiking, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Tuesday, saying the severity
of shutdowns would vary by proximity to the hot spots.
● Stephen Miller, a senior White House adviser responsible for
some of President Donald Trump’s most extreme immigration
policies, tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday, he told the
New York Daily News in a statement. Miller, 35, said he has been
working from home since Friday, when Trump shocked the nation
by announcing that he and the first lady had tested positive for
the respiratory virus that’s killed more than 210,000 Americans.
Miller’s diagnosis, which was first reported by NBC News, brings
the total number of Trump staffers, associates and relatives to test
positive since last week to at least 23.
● The United States’ top military leaders were under self-
quarantine Tuesday after a senior Coast Guard official tested
positive for the coronavirus, the Pentagon said. The chairman of
the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Mark Milley, and the vice chairman,
Gen. John Hyten, were among those affected, U.S. officials said.
Military leaders who were in contact with Adm. Charles W. Ray,
the vice commandant of the Coast Guard, were told Monday
evening that he had tested positive. The news stunned officials at
the Pentagon. Top leaders there have largely remained free of the
virus, although there have been a number of outbreaks across the
active-duty force and the reserves around the nation and overseas.
● With absentee voting underway, attorneys for civil rights
groups urged the Missouri Supreme Court on Tuesday to ease re-
quirements for those concerned about the coronavirus by allowing
anyone to vote remotely without needing to notarize their ballots.
Quote:
“Saying no to friends and close ones is an act of love”
— Canada Health Minister Patty Hajdu on Tues-
day, regarding family gatherings for Thanksgiving
Download the COVID Alert app:
wfp.to/covidapp
OTTAWA — The Canadian Armed Forces is
lifting the veil of secrecy over the number of
troops with COVID-19, as the military gets
ready for fresh calls to help out during the
second wave of the pandemic.
In its first full update since mid-March, the
military revealed Tuesday that a total of 222
Canadian service members have contracted
COVID-19 since the pandemic began.
That includes 24 active cases. The others
have been resolved.
Defence Department spokesman Daniel Le
Bouthillier said no military members had died
from the illness.
This is the first time the public has known
the scope of infections in the Canadian Armed
Forces since March 20, when officials said
they would stop sharing such details.
There were three cases at that time.
The military did later reveal that 55 of the
more than 1,600 soldiers deployed into long-
term care facilities in Ontario and Quebec in
the spring had become infected with the novel
coronavirus.
But it refused to provide overall figures for
the nearly 100,000-strong force, with officials
expressing concern the information could be
used by foreign adversaries hoping to take ad-
vantage of the pandemic.
“Leadership is closely monitoring the extent
of COVID-19 in the defence team,” the Depart-
ment of National Defence said on its website
Tuesday after publishing the new figures.
It went on to credit “the rigorous application
of public health measures” and other risk-miti-
gation strategies for “effectively containing
the spread of the virus amongst our person-
nel.”
The release of the figures came as senior
defence officials told the Armed Forces to be
ready for new orders as the number of cases
of COVID-19 across Canada continues to rise.
In a message to the troops, chief of defence
staff Gen. Jonathan Vance and Jody Thomas,
deputy minister at the Defence Department,
warned the situation “is different and more
complex than we faced in March.”
As a result, they said, new orders are com-
ing soon “to refocus our efforts, and position
National Defence and the Canadian Armed
Forces for success this fall.”
In the meantime, “we must accept that we
now live in an environment that will remain
altered by COVID-19 for the foreseeable fu-
ture. To succeed in this environment, we must
reject complacency.”
— The Canadian Press
More than 220 troops caught COVID-19: military
LEE BERTHIAUME
O TTAWA — Shortly after Health Canada approved the first rapid antigen test for COVID-19, the
federal government said more than 8.5
million of them would arrive by the end
of the year.
Abbott Rapid Diagnostics in Ger-
many got the green light from Health
Canada Tuesday to sell its Panbio anti-
gen rapid test in Canada — the first
antigen-based COVID-19 tool to get
such approval.
“Antigen tests are expected to have a
few advantages, including being easier
to perform with limited training, and
being able to be done at the point of care
with generally more rapid results,” fed-
eral Health Minister Patty Hajdu said
Tuesday at a briefing in Ottawa.
Antigens are molecules specific to a
certain virus that sit outside the virus
and trigger an immune response when
the body detects them. The Panbio test
looks for the COVID-19 specific antigen
in samples taken from the back of the
nose or throat.
Procurement Minister Anita Anand
said Canada signed a contract with Ab-
bott to get 8.5 million Panbio tests by the
end of the year, and has an option for 12
million more in 2021. She said buying
the second allotment will happen only
if the government finds the tests have
proven to be helpful in Canada.
All of the tests previously approved
by Health Canada are polymerase
chain reaction tests, or PCR, which
search for the presence of the virus’s
genetic material. Most of those tests
have to be completed in a laboratory,
after a sample is taken from a patient.
Canada has approved three rapid ver-
sions that can be analyzed on site and
don’t need a laboratory.
That includes the ID Now test from
Abbott Diagnostics in the United States,
which Health Canada approved last
week. The federal government has a
contract to buy 7.9 million of them. The
first shipment is set to arrive next week
and 2.5 million are expected by the end
of December.
Health Canada will distribute the
tests to the provinces and territories,
based on an agreement to ensure equit-
able distribution that takes into account
what provinces need.
Health Canada approved Cepheid’s
GeneXpert last spring. It produces re-
sults in less than an hour and has been
deployed in small numbers to remote
northern communities in Manitoba,
Quebec and Nunavut.
The BCube from Hyris was approved
in September, and the company reports
being in talks with Canadian buyers in
both the public and private sectors. It
produces a result in about 90 minutes.
Deputy chief public health officer
Dr. Howard Njoo said the public health
guidance for how antigen tests can be
used in Canada is coming soon, but that
in general, they are used to comple-
ment the existing lab tests, not replace
them.
A work camp or a meat-packing plant
where workers need to be regularly
tested to prevent a massive outbreak,
would be examples of where they could
be used, said Njoo. Schools, long-term
care facilities, and hospitals are other
locations mentioned as potential loca-
tions for rapid tests to be deployed.
Those suggestions mimic the recom-
mendations made by the World Health
Organization for antigen tests in Sep-
tember. Early in the pandemic, the
WHO warned antigen tests should not
be used outside of research settings,
but in September issued guidance for
clinical use as well.
The WHO is also buying and distrib-
uting 120 million antigen rapid tests to
low and middle-income countries, with
the Panbio test among those it intends
to buy.
Conservative health critic Michelle
Rempel said Tuesday the Canadian
government lacks a strategy to use the
rapid tests to help ease the long waits
for testing and disruptions to people’s
lives.
It is not clear when the rapid tests
will be put to use in Canada, only that
the first ID Now tests are to arrive at
a Canadian warehouse from the United
States next week.
The ID Now tests came under some
scrutiny in the United States over the
weekend when it was revealed they
were used at the White House to test
staff almost daily, whether they had
symptoms or not.
The White House is now the site of an
outbreak of COVID-19 that has affected
U.S. President Donald Trump, his wife
Melania, and multiple members of his
staff.
Dr. Supriya Sharma, the senior med-
ical adviser to the deputy minister of
health, said that in Canada, the tests are
approved only for use on patients who
are showing symptoms of COVID-19,
and only within the first seven days af-
ter symptoms appear.
She said Health Canada is confident
in the studies that show ID Now tests
accurately diagnose a positive case 92.9
per cent of the time, and that negative
results are accurate more than 98 per
cent of the time.
— The Canadian Press
8.5M antigen rapid tests ordered
MIA RABSON
Easier to perform, results available faster
OTTAWA — The Trudeau government
says it will pay for and provide Mani-
toba with rapid COVID-19 tests, but is
insisting on final say over the allocation
of supplies to the provinces.
The federal Liberals are also pushing
back on the Manitoba government’s ac-
cusations that Ottawa seized a shipment
of N-95 masks in the spring and blocked
a recent order of rapid tests.
“We have not, and will not, block any
provincial orders on (personal pro-
tective equipment) or any other items,
including tests,” federal Procurement
Minister Anita Anand told the Free
Press Tuesday. “On the contrary, our
objective is to work with the provinces.”
Last week, Health Canada approved
the use of a rapid saliva test, and Mani-
toba Central Services Minister Reg
Helwer said the province immedi-
ately placed an order. He said the sup-
plier, Abbott, replied that Ottawa “had
blocked direct sale of rapid tests to
provinces.”
Health Minister Patty Hajdu said
Tuesday that her department intention-
ally bought tests in bulk for Canada to
get a cheaper, faster shipment while
avoiding duplication by provinces.
“The premier can rest assured that
those tests will be available to Mani-
tobans in accordance with the agree-
ment that we negotiate,” she said, add-
ing that most COVID-19 equipment is
allotted to provinces on a per capita
basis, with some left over for surge cap-
acity.
“Those devices will be provided to
the province free of charge,” Hajdu
said.
Helwer also claimed last Friday
a spring order of two million N-95 res-
pirators was blocked by American cus-
toms at the request of the federal gov-
ernment and diverted to Ottawa.
The Manitoba government said Tues-
day the US$12 million order was for
masks made by 3M and handled by a
third-party vendor. The government
said it could not immediately provide
the date of the seizure, but said it oc-
curred early in the pandemic.
Federal bureaucrats said Tuesday
they haven’t been able to find any rec-
ord of the shipment since Helwer raised
the allegation last Friday. Anand said
she was “somewhat surprised” by it.
dylan.robertson@freepress.mb.ca
Ottawa to buy,
have final say on
Manitoba’s tests
DYLAN ROBERTSON
BERNAT ARMANGUE / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FILES
A German firm’s antigen test was the first to be approved by Health Canada. Ottawa will buy a second shipment of 12 million tests, if needed.
A_03_Oct-07-20_FP_01.indd A3 2020-10-06 9:01 PM
;