Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - September 23, 2021, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A1
FLYER IN
TODAY’S
PAPER
WINNIPEG SUBSCRIBERS ONLY
There’s
always room for
connection
Space to explore. Stories to inspire. humanrights.ca
CONNECT WITH CANADA’S HIGHEST READERSHIP RATE WEATHER: VARIABLE CLOUD. HIGH 22 — LOW 8
®
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2021
FOUNDED IN 1872
MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
SETTING DOWN ROOTS
Finley Stalker, 5, along with his grandfather, plants a poplar sapling in the riparian forest Wednesday along the Assiniboine River.
The Assiniboine Park Conservancy’s Nature Tots-Autumn Adventures program was celebrating National Tree Day.
A WINNIPEG brain surgeon, who was hired five years ago to establish a groundbreaking
epilepsy program, has decided to leave
Manitoba because he says the prov-
ince has failed to fulfil its promise to
fund it.
Dr. Demitre Serletis says he has no
choice but to move to the U.S. in the
new year.
His departure is the latest in a list
of problems plaguing the province’s
health-care system, from hospitals
having to send ICU patients out of
province to nursing shortages and a
backlog of more than 100,000 post-
poned surgeries and procedures.
The neurosurgeon hopes that
speaking up about the adult epilepsy
surgery program may motivate the
province to act.
“It’s an important cause close to my
heart,” said Serletis, who specializes in
neuroengineering. He led the formation
of a multidisciplinary team that de-
veloped a proposal for comprehensive
pediatric and adult epilepsy services.
He was honoured by Doctors Manitoba
this year for his work, which has helped
to recruit other specialists to Manitoba.
Serletis said he was hired to replace
a pediatric neurosurgeon who had
left, and to bring in a strong mandate
for developing an epilepsy surgery
program.
“It’s not typically the case that we
have to start from scratch and build
a program. But the higher leadership
said, ‘let’s start with a surgeon’ after
having had at least a dozen neurolo-
gists over the years leave the prov-
ince,” he said Wednesday.
By starting with a surgeon, “it gives
some reassurance to neurologists that
there might be a commitment to-
wards actually developing a program
like this,” said Serletis. Epilepsy is a
unique specialty that’s like a “team
sport” that requires a neurosurgeon,
neurologists, radiologists, electroen-
cephalogram (EEG) technicians and
dedicated nurses, he said. When he
arrived, the adult epilepsy unit was
located on an orthopedic ward where
nurses weren’t trained in seizure man-
agement. On the pediatric side, the
last neurologists who specialized in
epilepsy had left the province, he said.
“I came in that context and in the
last five and a half years, we have
made significant improvements,” he
said. “This is a team sport and what I
did was catalyze this into a common
movement with a comprehensive pro-
posal,” he said.
“The capital came in from private
donors and from government who
responded favourably to a comprehen-
sive plan, but there was no mention of
any further development or support
from leadership,” said Serletis.
“I don’t want to give the sense that
the epilepsy program didn’t develop,”
he said. “I was able to deliver some
of the surgeries that have never been
done in this province,” he said. If the
operating funds had been in place,
Winnipeg could’ve been a “great cen-
tre of excellence” instead of having
to now send adults out of province for
epilepsy surgery.
“I know everybody is equally
frustrated. It’s not just myself,” the
neurosurgeon said.
“We estimated in our proposal that
there must be over 6,000 patients who
would be eligible for surgery, and
there’s about 19,000 patients with epi-
lepsy in the Winnipeg Regional Health
Region. These numbers are stagger-
ing,” Serletis said.
Fed up with province, brain surgeon to quit
CAROL SANDERS
LOCAL manufacturers in Winkler
stayed open late so employees could be
immunized against COVID-19 without
their co-workers knowing.
Groups of citizens recently gathered
to discuss how they could bridge the
COVID-19 divide growing in the south-
ern Manitoba city and beyond.
Despite the steady stream of nega-
tive news coming out of Winkler and
the surrounding area, positive steps are
being taken to increase the immuniza-
tion rate and heal the growing divisions,
said Tory MLA Cameron Friesen, who
represents the constituency.
“Even though things are hard right
now, there are good things going on,
and that we should also be looking at
the good things, and looking at those
modelling the behaviour we want to
see,” Friesen said Wednesday.
However, that doesn’t mean the pan-
demic divide isn’t significant.
“Something has to change. The
anger and resentment that we are see-
ing in our community are unaccept-
able,” Winkler Police Service Chief
Ryan Hunt posted on social media last
weekend, after public displays of bad
behaviour by pro- and anti-maskers
and both sides of the vaccine passport
issue were reported.
Winkler-based Dr. Eric Lane has
said he is concerned doctors in the
area, which has some of Manitoba’s
lowest vaccination rates, are look-
ing to move to a place where “their
advice was taken more seriously.”
Mayor Martin Harder has urged
doctors to stay, because the commun-
ity wouldn’t survive without medical
professionals.
Friesen, who is Manitoba’s justice
minister, said he’s meeting with com-
munity members and “digging deep”
into his teaching toolkit to restore the
lines of communication.
“People are complex and we need to
have complex ways of reaching people
right now... vaccines and COVID-19 is
on everyone’s hearts and minds,” said
Friesen, who met with a large group
of restaurant owners and operators
last week.
“What I hear from people... is we’re
losing the ability to speak with one an-
other. The lines are being drawn. The
divisions are in families, in workplaces
and community settings and those
divisions are deepening. We need to
work to move toward each other, and
not away.”
There are people in Winkler doing
that work, he said.
‘Good things’ bridge pandemic divide in Winkler area: MLA
CAROL SANDERS
Departure set for new year over underfunding of epilepsy program
● SURGEON, CONTINUED ON A2
● WINKLER, CONTINUED ON A2
Art al fresco
Nuit Blanche sidesteps safety
concerns with event featuring
outdoor, online installations / D1
Tory beats
Liberal —
by 24 votes
IT’S a squeaker, but the Conserva-
tive incumbent appears to have
retained his seat in west Win-
nipeg — by a tiny margin of 24
votes.
Marty Morantz has defeated
Liberal candidate Doug Eyolfson
in the Charleswood-St. James-
Assiniboia-Headingley riding.
Eyolfson had hoped to win back
the seat after representing it from
2015 to 2019, when he was elected
during a Trudeau sweep.
Elections Canada posted the
result on its website late Wednes-
day after two days in which more
than 3,000 special ballots were
counted, including mail-in votes
and ballots from hospitals, cor-
rectional institutions and from
members of the military.
The 24-vote difference means a
recount is mandatory.
Morantz said he was relieved
Elections Canada had finally
posted the results and he looks
forward to getting back to work
in Ottawa.
Morantz thanked his family,
the campaign volunteers, and the
riding’s residents, “who bore with
us through this really unneces-
sary and unwarranted election
that nobody really wanted. It’s
unfortunate that $600 million
later, we wind up with a House of
Commons that looks substantially
the same as the one we had before
the election was called,” he said.
Morantz said he will respect the
official process, which requires a
judicial recount, and he declined to
speculate on the reasons for such a
tight race, including the impact of
the far-right, anti-mask and anti-
vaccine People’s Party of Canada,
which garnered 1,573 votes.
“I think there will be lots of
analysis done about this race
and how it turned out, but at the
end of the day, my focus is really
on getting back to work for the
constituents.”
There were 44,327 votes cast in
the riding; a recount has to hap-
pen if there’s a difference of 44
votes or less.
KATIE MAY
● TORY, CONTINUED ON A2
A_01_Sep-23-21_FP_01.indd A1 2021-09-22 11:15 PM
;