Winnipeg Free Press

Saturday, March 05, 2022

Issue date: Saturday, March 5, 2022
Pages available: 104
Previous edition: Friday, March 4, 2022
Next edition: Sunday, March 6, 2022

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions

Logos

About Winnipeg Free Press

  • Publication name: Winnipeg Free Press
  • Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
  • Pages available: 104
  • Years available: 1872 - 2025
Learn more about this publication

About NewspaperArchive.com

  • 3.12+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to One of the World's Largest Newspaper Archives!

Start your Genealogy Search Now!

OCR Text

Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - March 5, 2022, Winnipeg, Manitoba A7SATURDAY, MARCH 5, 2022 C M Y K PAGE A7 ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM NEWS I LAW&ORDER Seniors know a lot, but there’s always more to learn. Visit Canada.ca/seniors or call 1 800 O-Canada (1 800 622-6232) Help ensure your later years are safe and secure. Learn about programs and services for seniors, like how the Canada Pension Plan can work better for you, changes to the Guaranteed Income Supplement, fraud prevention information, and more. AMAN whose charred remainswere discovered in Portage laPrairie was tortured and held captive for days after he was accused of sexually assaulting the girlfriend of one of his killers, a court has heard. GerhardReimer-Wiebe, 27, was killed in a Winnipeg home in June 2020, be- fore his body was burned and partially buried on the edge of a field. On Friday, 31-year-old Kyle Evan Sinkovits and 27-year-old Jonathan Narvey pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, while co-accused Bobbi-Lynn Hall, 28, pleaded guilty to accessory to murder after the fact. They will be sen- tenced at a later date. A fourth accused, 26-year-old Chelsea O’Hanley is set to stand trial in May on charges of first-degreemurder, indigni- ty to human remains, and accessory to murder after the fact. Sinkovits, Narvey and Hall were all originally charged with first-degree murder, but entered guilty pleas to the lesser offences after court was pro- vided with a grim accounting of Re- imer-Wiebe’s final days. All four accused were living or stay- ing at an Alfred Avenue home in mid- June 2020, when Hall told Sinkovits (her boyfriend) and Narvey (a close friend) she had awakened in bed with Reimer-Wiebe and believed he had sex- ually assaulted her, Crown attorney Melissa Hazelton told court, reading from a lengthy agreed statement of facts. Sinkovits and Narvey held Re- imer-Wiebe captive for at least three days, placing a dog collar and leash around his neck and tying him to a chair in the basement. The pair brought Reimer-Wiebe upstairs for food and wa- ter and returned him to the basement, where they repeatedly assaulted him before ultimately killing him. An autopsy showed Reimer-Wiebe suffered an array of violent injuries, including a fractured tibia, lacerations to his back, a broken hand, and major skull trauma. Three of his fingers had been cut off. “The fingers that were removed were cut in several different places, indicating they were removed in piec- es and cut off at each knuckle,” Ha- zelton said. Photos later found on a cellphone shared by Narvey and O’Hanley (Nar- vey’s girlfriend) showed Narvey stand- ing on Reimer-Wiebe’s body as it lay over tarps in the kitchen. Sometime on June 19 or June 20, Re- imer-Wiebe’s body was wrapped in a tarp and placed in the trunk of O’Han- ley’s Chevrolet Equinox. With O’Han- ley behind the wheel, the four accused drove 70 kilometres west to Portage la Prairie to dispose of Reimer-Wiebe’s body. The group stopped at a gas bar, where they stocked up on snacks and filled a jerry can with gas, before heading to the home of one of Hall’s ex-boyfriends. Once there, they drove onto an ad- jacent field, unloaded Reimer-Wiebe’s body and used the gas to set it on fire. After some time, the group moved the body to a treed area on the edge of the field and covered it with dirt from a nearby garden. The group returned to Winnipeg where, according to the agreed state- ment of facts, they found the Alfred Av- enue residence engulfed in flames. Later that day, Narvey sent Hall’s ex-boyfriend a message over Facebook saying: “Yo did you get told about the bbq chicken at your place in the back… Is it being dealt with or do I need to come and finish the job?” Four days later, Hall’s ex-boyfriend’s father called RCMP to report he had found human remains on his property. “It took a couple of weeks for (police) to identify Reimer-Wiebe as the victim, due to the state of decomposition and destruction of his remains,” Hazelton said, reading from the agreed state- ment of facts. In July 2020, Narvey and Sinkovits were each arrested for an unrelated break and enter. While in custody, Sinkovits, in tele- phone calls to his mother and grand- mother, confessed he had killed Re- imer-Wiebe because he was an alleged sex offender. Sinkovits provided a simi- lar confession to a corrections officer at Milner Ridge Correctional Centre. dean.pritchard@freepress.mb.ca Three plead guilty inman’s torture,murder DEAN PRITCHARD Fourth accused set to stand trial; court hears grim account RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES Investigators search the site of the Alfred Avenue homewhere Gerhard Reimer-Wiebe was killed in June 2020. Above: Gerhard Reimer-Wiebe. Right, clock- wise from top left: Jonathan Bradley Narvey, Bobby Lynn Hall, Chelsea O’Hanley and Kyle Sinkovits. Narvey and Sinkovits pleaded guilty to second-degree murder of Reimer- Wiebe and Hall pleaded guilty to accessory to murder after the fact. O’Hanley has not entered pleas and is set to stand trial in May. A_07_Mar-05-22_FP_01.indd 7 2022-03-04 9:06 PM ;