Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - March 6, 2022, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A2
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COMA2 SUNDAY, MARCH 6, 2022NEWS
The Free Press receives support from the Local Journalism Initiative
funded by the Government of Canada
WINNIPEG FREE PRESS SUNDAY
1355 Mountain Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
R2X 3B6
PHOTO REPRINTS 204-697-7064
SWITCHBOARD 204-697-7000
ADVERTISING 204-697-7122
FP.Advertising@freepress.mb.ca
EDITORIAL NEWSROOM 204-697-7301
HOW TO REACH US
Winnipeg Free Press est 1872 / Winnipeg Tribune est 1890
VOL. 151 NO. 114
INSIDE
Local news A3,6
Canada A3,6
Sunday Special A4
World A6
Entertainment A8-9
Miss Lonelyhearts A9
Sports B1
Comics B7
Diversions B8-9
Horoscope B9
Television B9
2022 Winnipeg Free Press, a division of FP Canadian
Newspapers Limited Partnership. Published seven days
a week at 1355 Mountain Avenue,
Winnipeg, Manitoba R2X 3B6, PH: 204-697-7000
A member of the National Newsmedia Council
The people in these photos are of
interest to police and may be able to
provide investigators with information
about the offences. These images are
released for identification purposes only.
The people pictured may or may not be
responsible for the crimes indicated. If you
are able to identify anyone pictured, call
Winnipeg Crime Stoppers at 204-786-TIPS
(204-786-8477), text TIP170 and your mes-
sage to CRIMES (274637) or send a secure
tip online at winnipegcrimestoppers.org.
CLICK ● WINNIPEG CRIME STOPPERS
Incident: 1190
WHEN: Feb. 2, 2022
WHERE: 700 block of Sargent Avenue
A man at a retail store managed to get the
keys for an employee’s vehicle, which the sus-
pect stole. When the vehicle was recovered,
several valuable possessions had been taken.
Incident: 1191
WHEN: Feb. 9, 2022
WHERE: First block of
Arden Avenue
Two men entered an apartment building
and proceeded to break into several mail
boxes as well as the utility room, which
housed the building’s security system. An
unknown amount of mail was stolen and
the surveillance system was damaged, but
not before these images were captured.
“Where do we stand?” said Uni-
versity of Manitoba professor James
Fergusson, one of Canada’s leading
experts on Norad. “No one seems to
know. Or if they know, they’re not
saying where we stand.”
During a trip to Ottawa in Decem-
ber, VanHerck told reporters he was
awaiting political direction on up-
grading Canada’s key contribution to
Norad, a string of radars built in the
Canadian Arctic in the 1980s called the
North Warning System.
Military officials have been caution-
ing for years that the North Warning
System, which was built to detect
Russian bombers approaching North
America from over the Arctic, is obso-
lete because of the development of mis-
siles with increasingly longer ranges.
“It’s kind of like having a big house
and leaving your back two bedrooms
unlocked,” said retired general Tom
Lawson, who was Norad deputy com-
mander before serving as Canada’s
chief of the defence staff from 2012-
2015.
“We can’t even see the Canadian
Arctic archipelago. You could be doing
anything you want flying over there.”
Asked last week whether VanHerck
has been given the needed political di-
rection, Defence Minister Anita Anand
said she has had several discussions
with U.S. Defence Secretary Lloyd
Austin about Norad modernization and
the North Warning System.
But she did not provide any oth-
er specifics, and instead noted that
the federal government awarded a
$592-million contract in January to an
Inuit-owned company, Nasittuq Corp.,
to operate and maintain the system’s
long- and short-range radars.
One of the reasons progress has been
slow is the rapid pace of technological
change, which makes it difficult to
predict what threats the system needs
to protect against. That includes the
role that cyber defence and space will
play in the future.
“There’s been a lot of background
work being done, which of course is not
sexy,” said Andrea Charron, another
leading Norad expert at the University
of Manitoba.
“It’s looking at over-the-horizon
radar systems for North Warning
System and in some cases anticipating
technology that hasn’t actually come
into its own yet.”
But there has also been a sense that
while Ottawa says Norad moderniza-
tion is a priority, it’s not a top priority.
This has been evidenced by a virtual
lack of dedicated funding for the
effort. Its costs were omitted from the
Liberal government’s defence policy
in 2017.
Canada’s controversial decision not
to join the U.S. ballistic missile defence
system also continues to cloud talk
about the degree to which Canada is
willing to help intercept and destroy
threats to North America, not just
detect them as they approach the
continent.
Charron said Russia’s invasion of
Ukraine is an example of the type of
event that Norad commanders and
others have long worried about when
calling for an upgrade to the system.
“Because if Russia felt boxed in,
where are they going to hit?” she said.
“They’re going to hit somewhere that
is not very populated, and that speaks
to the Arctic. “This is ‘escalate to
de-escalate.’”
In other words, the fear is that
Russia could launch a limited attack on
North America’s Arctic and threaten a
much bigger onslaught as a way to sue
for peace. Alternatively, it could keep
the U.S. and Canada from sending rein-
forcements to NATO allies in Europe.
“Ukraine has made Norad even more
important, because we are the back
door to NATO,” Charron said.
The hope for some is that Russia’s
invasion of Ukraine will serve as the
catalyst for Ottawa to make Norad
modernization a true priority with
more dedicated funding in this year’s
federal budget and moving ahead on
some potentially controversial deci-
sions.
“Here’s a perfect moment to an-
nounce that we’re coming on board
with all forms of ballistic missile
defence … and we are going to discuss
the positioning of new radar systems
and new missile interceptors on Cana-
dian soil,” said Lawson.
“And, by the way, we are now an-
nouncing that we’re buying F-35s, the
first of which will be delivered four
years from now. Now, all of a sudden,
you’re looking pretty beefy.”
— The Canadian Press
DEFENCES ● FROM A1
Mariupol Mayor Vadym Boychenko
said thousands of residents had gath-
ered for safe passage out of the city of
430,000 when shelling began and the
evacuation was stopped. Later in the
day, he said the attack had escalated
further.
“The city is in a very, very diffi-
cult state of siege,” Boychenko told
Ukrainian TV. “Relentless shelling of
residential blocks is ongoing, airplanes
have been dropping bombs on residen-
tial areas. The Russian occupants are
using heavy artillery, including Grad
multiple rocket launchers.”
Russia has made significant ad-
vances in the south, seeking to cut off
Ukraine’s access to the sea. Capturing
Mariupol could allow Russia to estab-
lish a land corridor to Crimea, which it
annexed in 2014.
Meanwhile the head of the Cherni-
hiv region said Russia has dropped
powerful bombs on residential areas of
the city of the same name, which has
a population of 290,000. Vyacheslav
Chaus posted a photo online of what he
said was an undetonated FAB-500, a
1,100-pound (500-kilogram) bomb.
“Usually this weapon is used against
military-industrial facilities and forti-
fied structures,” Chaus said.
In a speech to Ukrainians, President
Volodymyr Zelenskyy pointed to “the
500-kilogram bombs that were dropped
on the houses of Ukrainians. Look at
Borodyanka, at the destroyed schools,
at the blown-up kindergartens. At the
damaged Kharkiv Assumption Cathe-
dral. Look what Russia has done.”
The West has broadly backed
Ukraine, offering aid and weapons
and slapping Russia with vast sanc-
tions. But the fight itself has been left
to Ukrainians, who have expressed
a mixture of courageous resolve and
despondency.
“Ukraine is bleeding,” Foreign Min-
ister Dmytro Kuleba said in a video
released Saturday, “but Ukraine has
not fallen.”
Russian troops advanced on a third
nuclear power plant, having already
taken control of one of the four oper-
ating in the country and the closed
plant in Chernobyl, Zelenskyy told U.S.
lawmakers.
Zelenskyy pleaded with the lawmak-
ers for additional help, specifically
fighter planes to help secure the skies
over Ukraine, even as he insisted Rus-
sia was being defeated.
Russian troops took control of the
southern port city of Kherson this
week. Although they have encircled
Kharkiv, Mykolaiv, Chernihiv and Sumy,
Ukrainian forces have managed to keep
control of key cities in central and south-
eastern Ukraine, Zelenskyy said.
U.S. President Joe Biden called
Zelenskyy early today, Kyiv time, to
discuss Russia sanctions and speeding
U.S. assistance to Ukraine. The White
House said the conversation also cov-
ered talks between Russia and Ukraine
but did not give details.
Meanwhile, U.S. Secretary of State
Antony Blinken was in Poland to meet
with the prime minister and foreign
minister, a day after attending a NATO
meeting in Brussels in which the
alliance pledged to step up support for
eastern flank members.
Blinken also spoke by phone with
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi,
who said Beijing opposes any moves
that “add fuel to the flames” in
Ukraine, according to the Chinese For-
eign Ministry. Blinken said the world is
watching to see which nations stand up
for freedom and sovereignty, the State
Department said.
In Moscow, Israeli Prime Minister
Naftali Bennett met with Putin at the
Kremlin. Israel maintains good rela-
tions with both Russia and Ukraine,
and Bennett has offered to act as an
intermediary in the conflict, but no
details of the meeting emerged imme-
diately. Bennett’s office said he spoke
twice with Zelenskyy afterward.
The death toll of the conflict was
difficult to measure. The UN human
rights office said at least 351 civilians
have been confirmed killed since the
Feb. 24 invasion, but the true number is
probably much higher.
Ukraine’s military is vastly out-
matched by Russia’s, but its profession-
al and volunteer forces have fought
back with fierce tenacity. Even in cities
that have fallen, there were signs of
resistance.
Onlookers in Chernihiv cheered as
they watched a Russian military plane
fall from the sky and crash, according
to video released by the Ukrainian
government. In Kherson, hundreds
of protesters waved blue and yellow
Ukrainian flag sand shouted, “Go
home.”
A vast Russian armored column
threatening Ukraine’s capital re-
mained stalled outside Kyiv.
Also Saturday, the Canadian govern-
ment has updated its advice for anyone
considering travelling to Russia.
In a new post on the government’s
website, it says all travel to Russia
should be avoided, and any Canadians
who are already there “should leave
while commercial means are still
available.”
The post says the advice is “due
to the impacts of the armed conflict
with Ukraine, including limited flight
options and restrictions on financial
transactions.”
— The Associated Press
COLLAPSE ● FROM A1
VADIM GHIRDA / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
People cross on an improvised path under a bridge that was destroyed by a Russian airstrike, while fleeing the town of Irpin, Ukraine, Saturday.
DANIEL CRUMP / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
TELEPHONE
EXCHANGE
TORN DOWN
Demolition has begun
on the historic St. James
Telephone Exchange
Building at 340 Rutland St.
The building was built in
1916 and was first used as
a telephone exchange and
then by Manitoba Hydro.
Demolition of the building
was approved by the city
in October 2021 to make
way for private residences.
A_02_Mar-06-22_FP_01.indd 2 2022-03-05 11:09 PM
;