Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - March 10, 2022, Winnipeg, Manitoba
C M Y K PAGE A3
FLYER IN
TODAY’S
PAPER
WINNIPEG SUBSCRIBERS ONLY
741 Sterling Lyon Parkway
Winnipeg, MB R3P 2S9
75 Falcon Ridge Drive
Winnipeg, MB R3Y 2C2
S E N I O R L I V I N G
O F T U X E D O
75 Falcon Ridge Drive
Winnipeg, MB R3Y 2C2
www.brightwaterseniorliving.com 431-778-6105
S E N I O R L I V I N G
Celebrate
Living Well
THURSDAY, MARCH 10, 2022
FOR MANITOBA. FOR 150 YEARS. FOREVER WITH YOUR SUPPORT.
SERVING WINNIPEG AND THE WEST SINCE 1872
The
®
INSIDE
SECTOR PUT IN PARK
Soaring gas prices sideline food delivery,
ride-hailing drivers / B6
WELCOME TO THIRD ACT
Winnipeg writer Deborah Schnitzer explores worth
and wisdom of older women in new column / D1
PLOT THICKENS
Judge rules on cemetery plot fight
between families / B1
WEATHER
ISOLATED FLURRIES.
HIGH -12 — LOW -18
RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
Karen Robb, an educational assistant at Fort Richmond Collegiate, is shocked as she takes an unexpected call from her birth father, Gary Milani, Wednesday, after he arrived in Krakow, Poland,
with the help of her students. Robb and Grade 12 students Divya Sharma (from left), Adil Hayat and Inga Kseniia Tkaschuk, were getting their photo taken by the Free Press when Milani called.
ONLY five patients will get spinal
surgery out of province in the next
few weeks as part of a highly touted
plan by the government to deliver
tens of thousands of delayed surger-
ies to sick Manitobans.
Sanford Health Fargo vice-pres-
ident of operations Brittany
Sachdeva said a “select number” of
Manitobans who need specialized
spinal care will be treated at the
facility, which is nearly 400 kilome-
tres south of Winnipeg.
The Manitoba government
finalized an agreement with
Sanford Health to treat patients
with degenerative disc disease
and spinal stenosis at its centre in
Fargo through a pilot program last
month.
The province’s surgical and diag-
nostic recovery task force had said
a few hundred patients could be
eligible to receive their operation at
Sanford.
“We expect to care for approxi-
mately five patients over the next
several weeks,” Sachdeva said in
an emailed statement to the Free
Press. Sachdeva was not made
available for an interview.
The deal with Sanford was one
of four pillars of the province’s
plan to cut the backlog. It was
announced by the task force in
its first update to Manitobans in
mid-January. Since then, few de-
tails about the pilot program have
been made public.
Recently, the Tory government
has refused to answer journalists’
questions about its agreement
with Sanford, citing restrictions
on government communications in
place as a result of the Fort Whyte
byelection.
Late last week, the province’s
diagnostic and surgical recovery
task force quietly posted an update
on its progress toward reducing the
pandemic backlog, which Doctors
Manitoba estimates to include more
than 52,000 delayed surgeries and
109,000 delayed diagnostic tests.
The update said spinal surgery
had already begun at Sanford
Health with the intention to expand
the pilot program. No details were
provided.
A spokesman for Health Minis-
ter Audrey Gordon’s office would
not reveal how many patients had
travelled out of province, the total
number of patients Sanford had
agreed to accept, or the duration
or cost of the pilot program when
asked by the Free Press this week.
“As explained previously, the
agreement provides for a pilot
phase where a small number of
patients will receive care,” the
spokesman said in a statement.
“This process will enable both orga-
nizations to get the patient referrals
and transitions in place so that this
can be a safe and effective care
experience.”
Handful of
Manitobans
head to N.D.
for spinal
surgery
DANIELLE DA SILVA
W ORLD geography students at a Winnipeg high school put their mapping skills to good use by
transforming a classroom into a com-
mand centre to help a man escape the
war-torn capital of Ukraine.
Karen Robb, an educational assistant
at Fort Richmond Collegiate, recently
discovered her birth father, Gary Mi-
lani, has been living in eastern Europe
for more than 20 years.
“The first actual time I heard
his voice in my whole life, I had to
compete with the sound of bombs and
machine guns outside of his window,”
Robb recalled, during a phone call
Wednesday.
The educational assistant said the
two have been in touch over the last
two years, but communication inten-
sified when Russian forces invaded
Ukraine last month.
Robb initially struggled to convince
the 73-year-old Canadian it was unsafe
for him to stay in Kyiv throughout
the war, she said, adding when he was
finally willing to leave, the difficulty of
the task quickly became clear.
“I was trying to think out of the box,
what I could do, how I could help from
where I was,” she said. “It dawned on
me that students in the geography class
(at Fort Richmond), who are a bunch of
whiz kids with tech devices, might be
able to help.”
When Robb approached teacher
Regan Moses early last week, the
social studies educator — who has a
Stand With Ukraine sign hanging in
her classroom — was keen to support
her colleague and task teenagers with a
problem-solving lesson.
“It was a heartbreaking story, but
we knew we had to do something,” said
Adil Hayat, a Grade 12 student.
Adil and his peers used photos of the
73-year-old man’s location, which he
had sent to Robb, as a starting point for
their project March 1.
They determined Milani was at a city
hostel using Google Maps and satellite
imagery online, and proceeded to plot
an unobstructed 16.2-kilometre route
for him to take to the Kyiv train station
while avoiding a massive Russian mili-
tary convoy.
(The students originally mapped out
directions so Milani could first walk
to pick up his daughter at her grand-
mother’s house before finding them a
route to the train station together. They
had to pivot in response to changing
family plans.)
“We were all on our phones, doing
research… By the end of the class,
we were able to successfully tell him
where he needed to go (over the phone)
so he had a map in mind, so he knew
what roads were closed and what roads
were open,” Adil said.
Grade 12 student Inga Kseniia
Tkaschuk, who immigrated to Canada
from Ukraine in 2017 due to economic
reasons and ongoing conflict in the
region, translated Ukrainian articles
where necessary.
The class relied on social media and
news reports to learn a specific bridge
had been bombed and violence was less
prevalent during the day in compari-
son to night.
Equipped with this knowledge,
Milani left for the train station the
following morning at 7 a.m. in Kyiv
(11 p.m. CST on March 1). However,
police turned him away at a check-
point because there was violence and
debris on the roads.
Students plot man’s escape from Kyiv
MAGGIE MACINTOSH
Winnipeg educational assistant turns to geography ‘whiz kids’ to get birth father out of war zone
MARIUPOL, Ukraine — A Russian
airstrike devastated a maternity
hospital in the besieged port city of
Mariupol Wednesday amid growing
warnings from the West that Moscow’s
invasion is about to take a more brutal
and indiscriminate turn. Ukrainian
officials said the attack wounded at
least 17 people.
The ground shook more than a mile
away when the Mariupol complex was
hit by a series of blasts that blew out
windows and ripped away much of
the front of one building. Police and
soldiers rushed to the scene to evac-
uate victims, carrying out a heavily
pregnant and bleeding woman on a
stretcher as light snow drifted down on
burning and mangled cars and trees
shattered by the blast.
Another woman wailed as she clutched
her child. In the courtyard, a blast crater
extended at least two storeys deep.
“Today Russia committed a huge
crime,” said Volodymir Nikulin, a top
regional police official, standing in the
ruins. “It is a war crime without any
justification.”
In Zhytomyr, a city of 260,000 to the
west of Kyiv, bombs fell on two hospi-
tals, one of them a children’s hospital,
Mayor Serhii Sukhomlyn said on Face-
book. He said the number of casualties
was still being determined. His report
could not be independently confirmed.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr
Zelenskyy said the Mariupol strike was
“beyond an atrocity” and it trapped
children and others under the rubble.
“A children’s hospital. A maternity
hospital. How did they threaten the
Russian Federation?” Zelenskyy asked
in his nightly video address, switching
to Russian to express his horror at the
airstrike. “What kind of country is
this, the Russian Federation, which is
afraid of hospitals, afraid of maternity
hospitals, and destroys them?”
‘Beyond an atrocity’: Hospital bombing traps children, moms
EVGENIY MALOLETKA
LOCAL JOURNALISM INITIATIVE REPORTER
VIDEO OF PHONE CALL
WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
● ESCAPE, CONTINUED ON A2
● BOMBING, CONTINUED ON A2 ● SURGERY, CONTINUED ON A2
T
es
P
A_03_Mar-10-22_FP_01.indd 3 2022-03-09 10:51 PM
;