Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - March 15, 2022, Winnipeg, Manitoba
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COMA4
C M Y K PAGE A4
NEWS I MANITOBA TUESDAY, MARCH 15, 2022
MANITOBANS will soon be dialing a
new three-digit area code, after a feder-
al review found the province is running
out of unassigned phone numbers.
The third code — 584 — is being ac-
tivated Oct. 29, to provide relief to 204
and 431, the Canadian Radio-television
and Telecommunications Commission
decided.
Telecom providers can begin handing
out numbers starting with 584 that day.
A third code is needed because an ex-
plosion of cellphones and devices which
use SIM cards has been “eating up
phone numbers” in Manitoba, said To-
ronto-area telecommunications expert
Edward Antecol.
The CRTC approved 584 in a decision
dated Feb. 24, after the Canadian Num-
bering Administrator predicted Mani-
toba will “exhaust” its existing supply
of phone numbers by December 2023.
Since that decision, the date has been
moved to November 2023.
The CNA, which gives blocks of
10,000 numbers to carriers on behalf of
the CRTC, predicts future demand by
annually surveying the telecom compa-
nies which also fund the corporation.
When the CRTC reserved 584 for
Manitoba in February 2017, a commit-
tee predicted it wouldn’t be needed un-
til 2027.
However, the 431 code is “filling
up,” said CNA program manager Kelly
Walsh.
Last year, Manitoba was briefly
placed into a “jeopardy condition,”
where the pool of unassigned blocks is
predicted to run out before a new area
code is brought in. The condition was
lifted when an exhaust date of October
2023 was revised to December 2023.
The 431 code went into service in
November 2012, bringing in the era of
mandatory 10-digit dialing for local
calls.
It gave relief to the province’s orig-
inal 204 code, which has been around
since 1947 and is maxed out. Existing
numbers are reused when customers
cancel a landline or cellphone, but all
blocks have been assigned.
“As those blocks run out, we have to
create a new area code,” said Antecol, a
former CNA manager. “If we see it’s go-
ing to exhaust within five or six years,
we begin watching really closely.”
The CRTC’s approval of 584 came
about a year after a committee began
planning for a new relief area code due
to the dwindling supply of numbers
starting with 431.
Walsh and Antecol said consumer
demand and new phone companies are
two of the main factors.
In some households, every member
has at least one phone. When a new
provider starts up, it is given blocks of
numbers.
“The fact there are so many mobile
devices leads to exhaustion faster,” said
Walsh.
Another influence is the “internet of
things,” or IoT, which refers to all de-
vices with online connectivity.
Anything that uses a SIM card —
from tablets and fax machines to mod-
ern parking meters and traffic lights —
has a unique phone number, said Walsh.
Even vehicles equipped with SIM
cards have their own phone numbers,
said Antecol, vice-president of profes-
sional services and legal counsel for
COMSolve, a Toronto-area company
contracted to run the Ottawa-based
CNA.
Based on the CNA’s latest prediction,
Manitoba will need a fourth area code
in 2034, he said, although it could be
years sooner should demand continue
to rise.
All local calls in Manitoba were made
using seven digits before the province
began using a second area code almost
a decade ago.
Manitoba needed more time to pre-
pare for 431 because it introduced
10-digit dialing.
Telecom equipment and all kinds
of systems, including home security
alarms and autodialing, had to be up-
graded or reprogrammed to accom-
modate the change. Plus, an awareness
campaign was launched to prepare
Manitobans for the switch to 10-digit
dialing.
None of that will be necessary when
584 is introduced.
Carriers will test the new area code
before it goes into service. They can re-
quest blocks of numbers starting with
584 about two months before Oct. 29,
said Walsh.
Canada takes its new area codes
from a pool held by the North Ameri-
can Numbering Plan Administrator. As
those codes run out, the CNA asks for
more, said Antecol.
The NANP is on pace to run out of
area codes in 2056.
“By then, we should have moved on
in technology to something different,”
said Walsh.
chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca
Twitter: @chriskitching
Calling 584:
Manitoba’s
new area code
live in October
CHRIS KITCHING
WEED killers and pesticides prohibited
for use on lawns across Manitoba could
be back on the market, under legislation
proposed by the Progressive Conserva-
tive government.
On Monday, Environment, Climate
and Parks Minister Jeff Wharton intro-
duced Bill 22 to amend the Environment
Act and repeal legislation that restrict-
ed the use and sale of certain pesticides
for cosmetic purposes.
“The proposed legislation changes
would enable individuals and compa-
nies to apply federally approved prod-
ucts in low-risk areas,” Wharton said.
“This would improve the flexibility and
accessibility for households and com-
munities, and allow for increased us-
able green spaces.”
Legislation prohibiting a number
pesticides and herbicides was came
into force in 2014, to reduce the pub-
lic’s exposure to synthetic chemicals.
Exceptions in the legislation continued
to allow the use of pesticides for agri-
cultural purposes, forestry and for the
maintenance of golf courses.
Wharton said the legislative changes
would permit the use of Health Canada
approved pesticides across most set-
tings in Manitoba.
Public engagement conducted by the
province showed more than 60 per cent
of survey respondents said restrictions
on pesticides for cosmetic use were too
strict, he added.
However, Bill 22 will expand the list
of places where synthetic pesticides
would be prohibited, Wharton noted.
In addition to the exterior proper-
ty of schools, hospitals and child care
centres, the use of prescribed cosmetic
pesticides would also be restricted on
municipal playgrounds, picnic areas,
dog parks and in provincial parks.
“We believe that these amendments
would allow for flexibility, for the op-
tions of cosmetic pesticide applications
on lawns, while also balancing the pro-
tection of sensitive areas in our commu-
nities,” Wharton said.
Association of Manitoba Municipal-
ities president Kam Blight said gov-
ernment restrictions on pesticides in-
creased municipal maintenance costs
for greenspaces by 10 times, compared
to previous weed control practices.
“We’re out there applying with more
expensive chemicals and doing repeti-
tious applications that are not becom-
ing effective,” said Blight, reeve for the
Rural Municipality of Portage la Prai-
rie. “And it costs money to apply these
chemicals, not just the chemical itself,
but it’s the man-power as well as the
usage of equipment and the burning of
gas.
“It was a redundant effort.”
Manitoba Nursery Landscape Asso-
ciation government relations chairman
David Hinton described current legis-
lation as arbitrary and said compliance
with rules has be “very low.”
Homeowners had continued to ap-
ply products contrary to the law while
rule-abiding lawn care companies
were at a disadvantage as enforce-
ment of current legislation is wanting,
he said.
“The current legislation is being en-
forced by the part-time student at the
big-box store,” said Hinton, who owns
Weed Man, a local lawn maintenance
company. “It’s just very poor legislation
and this is going to straighten all of that
out. We should have always been look-
ing at Health Canada for these rules.”
NDP environment critic Lisa Naylor
called the proposed legislation a disap-
pointment and a step back for climate
change.
“Many Manitobans have long-advo-
cated for fewer chemicals in our water
and on our land and in our air,” Nay-
lor said Monday. “And so taking a step
back, rolling that back, it’s not helpful.”
danielle.dasilva@freepress.mb.ca
Bill seeks to alter pesticide use landscape
DANIELLE DA SILVA
SPEAKER Myrna Driedger has dis-
missed an allegation Health Minister
Audrey Gordon deliberately misled the
Manitoba legislative assembly on an un-
fulfilled promise to provide an update on
the surgical and diagnostic task force.
In her ruling Monday, Driedger said
NDP health critic Uzoma Asagwara
would have to prove the minister delib-
erately misled the house and show there
was a clear intent to purposely do so
by knowingly making statements that
would mislead.
On March 3, Gordon told the legisla-
ture the task force would be providing
an update the following day.
On March 4, there was no update pro-
vided by government officials. Instead,
a summary of the task force’s progress
since its last update Jan. 19 was posted
on a provincial government website. No
new initiatives were announced.
Gordon said she was advised by gov-
ernment unveiling a detailed task force
update would be in violation of the Elec-
tion Financing Act rules limiting gov-
ernment communication during a bye-
lection period.
The health minister said she wouldn’t
be able to provide further information
until after the March 22 byelection in
Fort Whyte.
On March 7, Asagwara rose in the
house to allege Gordon violated the
rules and misled members. The NDP
MLA asked the health minister to apolo-
gize to the house, and the “failure of the
government to set a deadline to clear the
backlog be moved to a committee for im-
mediate consideration.”
The Speaker dismissed the matter
Monday, citing previous rulings.
“A burden of proof exists that goes
beyond speculation or conjecture but
involves providing absolute proof…
Including a statement of intent by the
member involved that the stated goal
is to intentionally mislead the house by
knowingly putting incorrect informa-
tion in the record,” Driedger said.
“Providing information showing that
some facts are at variance is not the
same as providing proof of intent to mis-
lead.”
carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca
Speaker clears health minister on task force report allegation
CAROL SANDERS
THE province has paid out more
than $5.9 million in COVID-19 sick
leave claims to employers for 21,306
employees, Manitoba’s labour minis-
ter said Monday.
Reg Helwer said in the legislature
the Manitoba Pandemic Paid Sick
Leave Program, established to help
cover the costs of employee sick
leave related to COVID-19, expires at
the end of the month.
Announced in May, the voluntary
program provides eligible employers
with up to $600 per employee for a
maximum of five full days (40 hours)
of COVID-19 related sick leave for
workers who do not currently have
paid sick days through their employ-
er.
Helwer was responding Monday
to questions from NDP health crit-
ic Uzoma Asagwara, who asked the
Progressive Conservative govern-
ment to implement a permanent paid
sick leave program.
“Currently, we are consistent with
most other provinces, and we’re pay-
ing close attention to what other ju-
risdictions are doing,” Helwer said.
Manitoba pays
$5.9M in sick leave
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES
Health Minister Audrey Gordon: further task force information won’t come till after March 22.
T HE Progressive Conservative government has been accused of “picking and choosing” which
byelection communication blackout
rules to follow.
On Monday, the premier’s office
invited media to an event she attend-
ed. Meanwhile, the health minister
refused to discuss plans to address
Manitoba’s surgical backlog, saying it
would amount to a breach.
Eight days before the March 22
byelection in Fort Whyte, Premier
Heather Stefanson’s press secretary
notified the media the premier would
be attending a news conference, ti-
tled: “WestJet to announce summer
schedule and Manitoba investments
in recovery.”
According to the provincial docu-
ment, “Guidelines on Communications
During an Election,” Manitoba “minis-
ters cannot use government resources
(financial, staff or otherwise) to initi-
ate contact with the media, including
interviews and news releases.”
The 10-page government document
explains the section of the Election
Financing Act that restricts govern-
ment advertising to ensure govern-
ment resources are not used to sup-
port an election campaign.
“When ministers attend meetings or
events, government resources should
not be used to advertise or publish the
minister’s speaking event, to invite peo-
ple to that event or to publish the con-
tents of their speech after it is made.”
When asked about it Monday, in a
scrum with reporters at Winnipeg
Richardson International Airport, the
premier said she was not in breach of
the byelection blackout.
“This does not violate any elections
laws,” said Stefanson, whose speech
touched on WestJet being a critical
partner to Manitoba’s economy and
that air connectivity is key to its
long-term recovery. She said the Tory
government is committed to working
with its economic development part-
ners and the business community.
While advertising the premier’s at-
tendance at the good-news event was
not considered a breach of the bye-
lection blackout rules by the PC gov-
ernment, talking about the progress
made by the surgical and diagnostic
task force to address an estimated
backlog of 161,000 surgeries and pro-
cedures is considered a no-no.
Health Minister Audrey Gordon
has said a detailed update on the
progress of the task force expected
March 4 won’t be available until after
the March 22 byelection.
“They’re just picking and choosing
how to follow the (Election Financ-
ing) Act and that’s not right,” said
NDP legislative and public affairs
critic Malaya Marcelino.
“Because it’s a good-news story for
the government, it’s good to go?” said
the Notre Dame MLA. “Well, it’s not.”
Marcelino said Monday she will be
seeking Manitoba’s elections com-
missioner’s opinion on the matter.
Liberal Leader Dougald Lamont,
too, said the premier should not have
been at the WestJet news conference.
“The PCs are using government
funds and staff to promote the pre-
mier in the middle of a campaign.
That’s not allowed. Even for the pre-
mier’s press secretary to send out
an email to media promoting her in-
volvement ignores the blackout,” said
the member for St. Boniface.
“The voters of Fort Whyte deserve
a free and fair byelection, and it is tru-
ly unfortunate that the Stefanson PCs
think the rules don’t apply to them.”
University of Manitoba political
studies professor emeritus Paul
Thomas said the use of political and
communications staff to promote
Monday’s event is “on balance, prob-
lematic.”
It could be argued it was simply to
alert the media to the availability of
the premier after she’d been accused
of not making herself available to
questions, said Thomas.
“The more likely explanation is that
the WestJet event is an opportunity
for favourable publicity in terms of
renewed economic activity, which has
been her central message.”
carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca
Premier says announcement not
breach of election blackout rules
CAROL SANDERS
● WESTJET FLIES HIGH AGAIN / B4
RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
Premier Heather Stefanson spoke at an announcement for WestJet Monday. She maintains her appearance is in line with election law.
A_04_Mar-15-22_FP_01.indd 4 2022-03-14 10:19 PM
;