Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - March 16, 2022, Winnipeg, Manitoba
<§>
PAGE A1
The
Winnipeg Harvest is now
lRVEST
HarvestManitoba.ca
Free Press
FOR MANITOBA. FOR 150 YEARS. FOREVER WITH YOUR SUPPORT.
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 16, 2022
SERVING WINNIPEG AND THE WEST SINCE 1872
'We're asking for justice, for real support'
Zelenskyy issues plea for no-fly zone, more sanctions in address to Parliament
MIA RABSON, LAURA OSMAN AND SARAH RITCHIE
OTTAWA — Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy delivered a passionate plea for a no-fly zone and more sanctions to starve out Russia’s finances in a speech to the Canadian Parliament Tuesday.
Appearing by video link from Ukraine, Zelenskyy asked Canadians to imagine the terror and horror unfolding in his country as if it were happening in their own.
“Every night is a horrible night,” he said, speaking in Ukrainian, to a crowded House of Commons where almost every MP, many senators and dozens of members of the public gathered to listen.
“We are not asking for much. We’re asking for justice, for real support.”
The Russian invasion is now in its 20th day and the death toll confirmed by the United Nations is now close to 700.
Zelenskyy said 97 of the dead are children.
In a speech lasting more than 20 minutes, he asked Canadians to imagine if Russian bombs were falling in cities like Vancouver, Edmonton or Toronto, or how it would feel if Canada’s allies responded to a request for a no-fly zone with expressions of concern but also fear that it would escalate the war.
“Please close the sky, please close the airspace. Please stop the bombing. How many more cruise missiles have to fall on our cities before you make this happen?’” he asked.
Zelenskyy issued a similar plea for a no-fly zone in the British House of Commons March 8, and is expected to do so again today when he speaks to the United States Congress.
NATO countries, including Canada, have thus far resisted the request, fearing it would escalate the crisis by forcing NATO forces to come into direct combat with Russian military.
Speaking to reporters after the speech, Foreign Affairs Minister Méla-nie Joly said Canada wants to support
ADRIAN WYLD / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Canadian parliamentarians give Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy an extended standing ovation Tuesday after he delivered an impassioned plea for more help to combat Russia's attack.
Ukraine to defend its airspace, without crossing the “red line” into international conflict.
She said Canada will do that with continued deliveries of lethal weapons, and strong sanctions.
“We need to do more, we will be doing more, my team and I are on it,” she said. “What we need to do, also, we need to continue, diplomatically speaking, to isolate Russia and put maximum pressure.”
NATO defence ministers, including Canada’s Anita Anand, will meet in Brussels today to discuss the Russian
invasion. NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg also said Tuesday a leaders’ summit will now be held in Brussels March 24.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s office has not yet confirmed if he will attend.
Trudeau did not address the no-fly zone in his speech that welcomed Zelenskyy to Parliament. He thanked him for defending freedom, not just for Ukraine, but for everyone.
“In the years I’ve known you, I’ve always thought of you as a champion for democracy,” Trudeau said. “And
now, democracies around the world are lucky to have you as our champion.” The words prompted a lengthy standing ovation in the House and Zelenskyy, appearing on a large video screen, touched his hand to his heart to say thank you.
Zelenskyy, who three years ago said during a trip to Toronto that Trudeau had been among those who inspired him to enter politics, appealed not just to Canadians and MPs, but directly to the prime minister, whom he consistently called “Dear Justin.”
He said Canada has always been a
reliable partner for Ukraine, but the sanctions and other assistance provided so far have not ended the war. Ukraine, he said, needs to close the airspace, with NATO’s help, to keep Russian aircraft and missiles from continuing to destroy the country.
Canada has previously worked to send weapons including guns, as well as protective gear to Ukraine. Last week it added $50 million in equipment including cameras for surveillance drones.
• ZELENSKYY, CONTINUED ON A2
d to ital-res ster
the
cov-
on
'Instruction book on murder' in accused teen's bedroom: Crown
DEAN PRITCHARD
A teen male arrested in the slaying of a 43-year-old Winnipeg man kept a manual on how to commit murder hidden in his bedroom, a court has heard.
Several disturbing allegations were disclosed at a bail hearing Monday for a female co-accused.
Paul Enns was found beaten to death in the back seat of his BMW in a parking lot in Assiniboine Park, around 3 a.m., Feb. 26. Winnipeg police arrested a 15-year-old Stonewall girl March 1, and a 17-year-old male from Warren three days later.
Both teens have been charged with second-degree murder and robbery with a weapon.
Prosecutors told court Monday they will be seeking an order the girl be sentenced as an adult, if convicted.
The charges have not been proven in court, and she is presumed innocent.
On Tuesday, a judge denied the girl’s application for release, saying her continued detention was necessary to maintain public confidence in the justice system.
“The vicious and brutal beating she allegedly participated in is not in any way behaviour one would normally ex-
Paul Enns, 43, was found beaten to death inside his car in an Assiniboine Park lot.
pect from a high school student,” said provincial court Judge Lindy Choy.
“I can only conclude she is inherently violent or at high risk of being susceptible to negative influences.”
The teens had a “deliberate plan” to lure Enns to the isolated parking lot with the intention of robbing him, Crown attorney John Ham told Choy on Monday.
“This murder was not sudden, it was not heat of the moment, it was not quick, it was not painless,” Ham said. “This attack was vicious, prolonged and brutal.” Ham alleged the female accused
created a social media account and “presented herself to be a 15-year-old female” and arranged to meet Enns for sex in exchange for money, drugs and jewelry.
“Once (Enns) arrived at the parking lot, he was initially attacked by (the female accused), with the (male co-accused) joining in the attack with a baseball bat,” Ham said.
Enns was stabbed in the torso and leg and suffered blunt-force injuries from his head to his toes, Ham told court. Blood spatter suggests Enns was attacked in the front seat of his car, in the back seat, and outside in the parking lot.
Cellphone records show the female teen and Enns exchanged 106 text messages and calls in the two hours prior to the killing.
The teens stole Enns’ cellphone, wallet and car key before fleeing the murder scene in the male teen’s car, Ham told court.
The next day, the two accused allegedly used Enns’ credit card to buy a pair of boots, popcorn and a jacket at Polo Park shopping centre. Ham said the girl was wearing the new boots when she was arrested.
• MURDER, CONTINUED ON A2
Masked at the mall: old habits die hard as mandate ends
MELISSA MARTIN
OPINION
JUST after noon Tuesday, the food court at Polo Park mall is buzzing. Although it is the day the public health indoor mask mandate lifts in Manitoba, the vast majority of shoppers — nine out of every 10, at least — are still wearing one.
It’s not too surprising: most people, it seems, are inclined to step out of the COVID-19 pandemic cautiously.
After lunch, I take a stroll. Somewhere past the escalators, I tug my mask below my chin, testing what it’s like to be indoors and bare-faced again.
Even though nobody else is near, it feels strange. After a few seconds, I put it back: content, for the moment, to stick to the former status quo.
In a tweet Tuesday, chief provincial public health officer Dr. Brent Roussin encouraged Manitobans “to be kind to each other,” as the end of most COVID-19 restrictions may be stressful to some people, more than others.
Some, he added, may keep wearing masks based on preference or an assessment of their own personal risk.
Throughout the weeks leading up to Tuesday, I’d heard much the same.
Some people wrote about how they just aren’t ready. Some businesses wrote, out of respect to their staff and customers, they would keep mask rules in place. These are kind decisions: some have good reason to fear COVID-19 for themselves or those they love.
For myself, those concerns are not a factor.
Between my age, vaccinations and general good health, I’ve never been too afraid of catching the novel corona-virus. On the other hand, if keeping my mask on for a little longer helps bring reassurance and perhaps some protection to those who are most at risk, then count me in for wearing one. It’s no big imposition on me.
Yet, there’s another reason why, as I wandered the Winnipeg shopping centre, I found myself reluctant to take off my mask.
It’s something deeper, more habitual: after nearly a year-and-a-half becoming accustomed to wearing one in certain contexts, going without leaves me feeling exposed in ways that, at least at this juncture, no longer feel natural or free.
• MARTIN, CONTINUED ON A2
WEATHER
VARIABLE CLOUD. HIGH 3 — LOW -3
INSIDE
EMERGENCY PLAN
City to study traffic light automation to give emergency vehicles green light / B1
BRACING FOR NEXT WAVE
The mask mandate is gone... but province is planning in case of another outbreak / B2
STAN THE MAN
Towering D-man notches Gordie Howe hat trick as Jets thump Knights / D1
A_01_Mar-16-22_FP_01.indd 1
2022-03-15 10:33 PM
;