Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - March 16, 2022, Winnipeg, Manitoba
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COMA8
C M Y K PAGE A8
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 16, 2022
WINE & FOOD EXPERIENCE
M A N I T O B A
SAVOUR
WAR IN UKRAINE
D OZENS of Ukrainians fleeing their country and the Russian army are looking for information
about moving here from a Manitoba
Ukrainian organization.
And, if they do, the provincial govern-
ment will waive the fees for Ukrainian
citizens to apply through the provincial
nominee program.
Ostap Skrypnyk, of the Ukrainian
Canadian Congress’ Manitoba branch,
said as of Tuesday, they had a list of 157
Ukrainians who had contacted the orga-
nization’s website for information about
moving here.
“We will be keeping in touch with
them through email,” Skrypnyk said.
“There are people in Europe now who
would like to move here, or are think-
ing about it, so they can put down their
names. We can’t promise we can help
them, but we wanted to know what their
needs are.”
The congress has a list of 700 peo-
ple who have offered to open up their
homes to Ukrainians. It had to stop tak-
ing offers because they had flooded in.
“It was such an overwhelming re-
sponse we had to put a pause on it until
we decide how to process these names.
And, which shows this is Friendly Man-
itoba, it seems like a broad cross section
of society. I would think the vast majority
aren’t obviously of Ukrainian descent.”
About 180,000 Manitobans are of
Ukrainian descent.
Already, Economic Development Win-
nipeg, which had been planning to go to
Ukraine to see if any of its highly skilled
work force wanted to move here, but now
it is pivoting to help organizations like
the UCC help spread the word to Ukrai-
nians there will be temporary or perma-
nent job opportunities here for them.
The Stefanson government said Tues-
day it will make it easier for Ukrainians
to come here.
Immigration Minister Jon Reyes said
the government would waive the $500
fee for Ukrainian citizens who apply to
the nominee program.
Reyes said his office has authorized
the prioritization of applications from
Ukrainian families and flagged ap-
proved applications for the federal gov-
ernment to give its stamp of approval to.
“Our government… will do whatever
we can to welcome as many Ukrainians
as possible to stay in Manitoba,” Reyes
said in the house.
Speaking to reporters, Reyes said
there were about 100 applications from
Ukraine citizens in the queue as of two
weeks ago, some of whom are already
in Manitoba. Updated numbers were
not immediately available.
“They’re being expedited as quick as
possible,” Reyes said.
The Manitoba government has
opened a special application stream for
Ukrainians on the province’s website,
the minister noted.
“Those are for Ukrainians that are ac-
tually looking to get out of the Ukraine,
if they have relatives in Manitoba or
wanted to come to Manitoba,” Reyes
said. “We know there are Ukrainians
who can’t get to a Canadian embassy.
So, we’ve communicated that to the
federal government and our communi-
cation streams to ensure that they’re
aware of that link.”
It was unclear how the processing
time for applications could be affected
by the fee being waived.
The province has not set a cap on
the number of applications it will ac-
cept and the current processing time
is about three months. However, Reyes
said the province is still waiting for di-
rection from the federal government
on which immigration streams it will
make available to Ukrainians, includ-
ing for those who claim refugee status,
which could be faster than the provin-
cial nominee program.
People who are in the queue should
expect delays.
“We know that there are many that
want to come to Manitoba,” Reyes said.
“With a special case like this, there ob-
viously will be some delays. I can’t pin-
point on how long it will be, but again
we’re in a very unique situation.”
NDP MLA Mark Wasyliw, whose fam-
ily came to Canada as refugees after
the Second World War, said the Stefan-
son government could do even more.
“What we can do is be our tradition-
al role as a safe harbour for refugees,
Wasyliw said. “We were calling for this
at the start of the invasion and we are
now at Day 20 and it shouldn’t have
taken this government 20 days into the
invasion, with three million Ukrainian
refugees, mostly women and children,
and seeing the mass horrors and the
war atrocities to get them to act.”
Wasyliw said the government should
provide the Ukrainian Canadian Con-
gress with money to hire full-time re-
settlement officers.
“Manitobans want to be part of this
solution, they are lining up to do it. They
need their government to partner with
them to make that a reality.”
Liberal Leader Dougald Lamont also
called on the government to help the lo-
cal Ukrainian congress.
“We need the government to put mon-
ey into settlement services,” Lamont
said.
“The other thing, which we think is
essential, is to make sure people, ba-
sically as soon as they arrive in Man-
itoba, are treated as full Manitobans
and can get access to health care here
because you’re going to see all sorts of
people in distress.”
kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca
danielle.dasilva@freepress.mb.ca
Manitoba drops fee for Ukrainians seeking settlement
KEVIN ROLLASON AND
DANIELLE DA SILVA
MARIUPOL, Ukraine — A wounded
pregnant woman who was taken on a
stretcher from a maternity hospital
that was bombed by Russia last week
has died, along with her baby.
Images of the woman, whom the
Associated Press has not been able to
identify, were seen around the world,
personifying the horror of an attack on
civilians.
She was one of at least three preg-
nant women tracked down by AP from
the maternity hospital that was bom-
barded Wednesday in the Ukrainian
city of Mariupol. The other two sur-
vived, along with their newborn
daughters.
In video and photos shot by AP jour-
nalists after the hospital attack, the
wounded woman stroked her bloodied
lower left abdomen as emergency work-
ers carried her through the rubble, her
blanched face mirroring her shock at
what had just happened.
The woman was taken to another
hospital, closer to the front line, where
doctors tried to save her. Realizing she
was losing her baby, medics said, she
had cried out to them, “Kill me now!”
Dr. Timur Marin said Saturday that
the woman’s pelvis had been crushed
and her hip detached. Her baby was de-
livered via cesarean section but showed
“no signs of life,” he said.
They tried to save the woman, and
“more than 30 minutes of resuscitation
of the mother didn’t produce results,”
Marin said. “Both died.”
Accused of attacking civilians, Rus-
sian officials claimed the maternity hos-
pital had been taken over by Ukrainian
extremists to use as a base, and that no
patients or medics were left inside.
Associated Press journalists, who
have been reporting from inside block-
aded Mariupol since early in the war,
documented the attack and saw the
victims and damage first-hand. They
shot video and photos of several blood-
stained, pregnant mothers fleeing the
blown-out maternity ward as medical
workers shouted and children cried.
— The Associated Press
Pregnant woman, baby die in bombing
EVGENIY MALOLETKA / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
The injured pregnant woman, photographed being carried away after a hospital was struck in Mariupol March 9, has died along with her baby.
A_08_Mar-16-22_FP_01.indd 8 2022-03-15 9:11 PM
;