Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - March 15, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
scu.mb.ca/bonus
MARCH 23-31
There’s so much to do at The Leaf and the Zoo! Join us
for a full week of family-friendly fun and learn more about
the amazing plants and animals we share the planet with.
Visit assiniboinepark.ca for a full list of activities
SERVING MANITOBA SINCE 1872. FOREVER WITH YOUR SUPPORT.
FRIDAY, MARCH 15, 2024
TODAY’S WEATHER
LIGHT RAIN. HIGH 5 — LOW -3
CITY
CHAMPION CHILD A HEALTH-CARE ENVOY / B2
W
INNIPEG’S police chief took
the rare step of criticizing the
child-welfare system after a
string of random and violent incidents
involving youth in care, including a
machete attack on a woman waiting at
a St. Vital bus stop.
“The violence that we’re seeing
is remarkable. They’re wielding
machetes and using them almost at
what appears to be indiscriminately,”
Winnipeg Police Service Chief Danny
Smyth said Thursday at a news con-
ference to discuss the spate of attacks
police say were committed by a group
of young people who know each other.
The chief said all of the underage
suspects were living in group or foster
homes, where caregivers don’t have
the means to give them a stable life.
“They don’t have the resources
or the tools to meet the needs of the
youth in their care,” he said.
“This means that the kids are left
to themselves to go anywhere and do
anything that they see fit.”
Smyth highlighted four recent
incidents in which suspects have
been identified, adding police are still
investigating several other crimes
they believe to be linked to the group,
which is not considered a street gang.
“We’re of the belief that there is a
loose affiliation of a bunch of youths
that are involved in similar conduct.
We’re slowly trying to unravel the puz-
zle here… and I expect that more will
come out of this investigation,” he said.
In response to concerns raised by
the police chief, Manitoba Justice
Minister Matt Wiebe called the vio-
lence unacceptable.
“We need to make sure that any-
body who needs supports, that needs
further services to help them get back
on the right track, that we’re offering
those to everybody,” said Wiebe.
The first robbery Smyth discussed
happened at a bus stop near St. Mary’s
Road and Riel Avenue, close to the
St. Vital Centre mall, at about 5 p.m.
Sunday.
A 19-year-old woman had left work
and was waiting at the southbound
stop on St. Mary’s when she was con-
fronted by a boy who demanded she
hand over her cellphone.
The suspect pulled out a machete
and swung it at her, striking the
woman.
The victim suffered serious injuries
as she defended herself, Smyth said.
The attacker ran and a bystander
helped the woman until police arrived
and gave her first aid.
The woman was transported to hos-
pital in stable condition and treated
for “life-altering injuries.”
Officers identified the suspect as a
13-year-old and got a warrant for his
arrest. When the teen was arrested
downtown Wednesday, he had a ma-
chete in his possession, police said.
The teen has been linked to the
Tuesday night robbery, at gunpoint, of
a 12-year-old boy at Main Street and
Rupertsland Avenue, WPS said.
The victim was robbed of his phone
and the suspect ran off. The boy was
not hurt and police recovered the fire-
arm, an air-powered pellet gun, linked
to the incident.
Police said the teen suspect, who
didn’t know either victim and is being
held in custody, has been charged with
several offences, including aggravat-
ed assault, robbery with a firearm,
possession of a firearm contrary to
a prohibition order and three counts
of failing to comply with a sentence
order.
Some of the charges indicate the
boy had been involved in the justice
system before the recent incidents.
“It suggests to me that his needs are
not being met,” said Smyth.
The provincial government has an-
nounced a public safety summit will
be held this spring.
Smyth said it will be a forum to
delve into issues related to youth vio-
lence and the child-welfare system.
“I certainly hope that some of the
service providers in (child welfare)
come to the table… These are some of
the very complicated things that need
to be discussed and talked about. The
police have a role in it, but it’s not for
us to take the lead,” he said.
“The care that they’re provided is
really what needs to be addressed.”
Police chief calls out violence by youth in CFS
ERIK PINDERA
OTTAWA — The federal Liberals
ordered a national security review of
popular video app TikTok in Septem-
ber 2023 but did not disclose it publicly.
“This is still an ongoing case. We
can’t comment further because of
the confidentiality provisions of the
Investment Canada Act,” a spokesper-
son for Industry Minister François-
Philippe Champagne said.
“Our government has never hesitat-
ed to (take) action, when necessary, if a
case under review is found to be injuri-
ous to Canada’s national security.”
The revelation comes after the U.S.
House of Representatives passed a bill
Wednesday to ban TikTok unless its
China-based owner sells its stake in
the business.
“We’re watching, of course, the
debate going on in the United States,”
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said
Thursday when asked whether Canada
would pursue a similar move.
In response to the same question,
Champagne’s office said the Liberal
cabinet “issued an order for the nation-
al security review of TikTok Canada”
on Sept. 6.
It said the review was based on the
expansion of a business, which it said
constituted the establishment of a new
Canadian entity. It declined to provide
any further details about what expan-
sion it was reviewing.
A government database shows a
notification of new business from
TikTok in June 2023. It said Network
Sense Ventures Ltd. in Toronto and
Vancouver would engage in “market-
ing, advertising, and content/creator
development activities in relation to
the use of the TikTok app in Canada.”
The minister’s office said the cabinet
order to launch the review was not
accessible online because the informa-
tion is protected and confidential under
the Investment Canada Act.
Champagne’s office indicated Tik-
Tok would be subject to “enhanced
scrutiny” under the act, under a new
policy on foreign investments in the
interactive digital media sector.
That policy statement says “hostile
state-sponsored or influenced actors
may seek to leverage foreign invest-
ments in the interactive digital media
sector to propagate disinformation or
manipulate information in a manner
that is injurious to Canada’s national
security.”
The federal government banned
TikTok from its mobile devices in Feb-
ruary 2023 after federal and provincial
privacy commissioners launched their
own investigation into the platform.
“As you know, Canada made the de-
termination that no government phones
or devices can have the TikTok app.
That’s a matter of security and safety,”
Trudeau said Thursday. “I can’t com-
ment on national security reviews.”
A TikTok spokesperson said the
company continues “to co-operate with
the government’s review of TikTok’s
investment in Canada.”
The spokesperson said the company
remains “committed to ensuring the
safety and security of the platform for
the millions of Canadian creators, art-
ists and small businesses who rely on
TikTok to earn a living, find communi-
ty and create jobs.”
Feds ordered
national
security
review of
TikTok in fall
ANJA KARADEGLIJA
CONVICTED sex offenders could
soon be banned from legally changing
their names in Manitoba, if an NDP
bill passes into law.
Government Services Minister Lisa
Naylor — whose portfolio includes the
Vital Statistics Branch, which handles
name changes — introduced the
Change of Name Amendment Act at
the legislature Thursday.
“When someone has survived sexu-
al violence, they want to know that the
perpetrator can’t simply hide behind a
new identity,” Naylor told reporters.
“This legislation makes Manitoba a
more hostile environment for serious
violent offenders.”
Naylor said the bill would ban
people from legally changing their
name if they have been convicted of
a sex-related criminal offence, and
possibly other “serious offences,” such
as the human trafficking of children
and murder.
The province will consult with
victim service organizations, police
and others, prior to determining what
offences are included, Naylor said.
The proposed legislation would
require people who apply to change
their name to submit to a criminal
record check, in addition to finger
printing, which already takes place,
the minister said.
If someone is flagged as having
committed one of the yet-to-be-de-
termined offences, their application
won’t be processed, Naylor said.
However, the written bill states
people can apply for exemptions.
Manitoba law to stop sex offenders from changing name
KATRINA CLARKE
● TIKTOK, CONTINUED ON A2
● VIOLENCE, CONTINUED ON A2
● NAME, CONTINUED ON A2
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
Winnipeg Foundation CEO Sky Bridges hugs National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation executive director Stephanie Scott prior to an emotional ceremony Thursday.
‘INVESTMENT’
IN RECONCILIATION
Winnipeg Foundation embraces
National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation
with donation for new home / B2
Recent random attacks
‘remarkable’: Smyth
;