Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - March 19, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
TOP NEWS
A3 TUESDAY MARCH 19, 2024 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
Ex-president doesn’t have cash, bond companies refuse real estate collateral
Trump unable to post US$454-M bond
N
EW YORK — Donald Trump’s
lawyers told a New York appellate
court Monday that it’s impossible
for him to post a bond covering the full
amount of a US$454 million civil fraud
judgment while he appeals.
The former president’s lawyers wrote
in a court filing that “obtaining an ap-
peal bond in the full amount” of the
judgment “is not possible under the cir-
cumstances presented.”
Trump’s lawyers asked the state’s
intermediate appeals court to overturn
a previous ruling requiring that he
post a bond covering the full amount
in order to halt enforcement while he
appeals the judgment in New York At-
torney General Letitia James’ lawsuit.
With interest, Trump owes US$456.8
million. In all, he and co-defendants,
including his company, sons Eric and
Donald Trump Jr. and other executives,
owe US$467.3 million. To obtain a bond,
they would be required to post collat-
eral worth US$557 million, Trump’s
lawyers said.
The Washington Post reported that
Trump approached 30 surety providers
and all declined to issue a bond backed
by Trump real estate assets.
“Critical among these challenges is
not just the inability and reluctance of
the vast majority of sureties to under-
write a bond for this unprecedented
sum, but, even more significantly, the
unwillingness of every surety bond
provider approached by Defendants to
accept real estate as collateral,” Alan
Garten, the Trump company’s general
counsel, wrote in a sworn submission
according to the Post.
Surety companies are requiring
Trump to put up the entire amount
needed for the bond, around US$464
million, in collateral, according to the
defense filing. Legal experts said that
a likelihood of the appeal failing is the
main reason companies would mandate
such terms.
“Insurance companies in appeals
cases tend to want the full amount of
the judgment as collateral,” said Adam
Pollock, an attorney who formerly
served as assistant attorney general in
New York, told the Post.
Trump is appealing Judge Arthur
Engoron’s ruling in February that he,
his company and top executives, in-
cluding his sons, schemed for years to
deceive banks and insurers by inflating
his wealth on financial statements used
to secure loans and make deals.
Among other penalties, the judge
put strict limitations on the ability of
Trump’s company, the Trump Organiz-
ation, to do business.
Trump has until March 25 to pay
the judgment or obtain a court order
known as a stay which would prevent
enforcement while he is appealing.
James, a Democrat, has said she will
seek to seize some of Trump’s assets if
he is unable to pay.
James’ office declined comment
Monday on Trump’s inability to secure
a bond.
In a court filing last week, Senior
Assistant Solicitor General Dennis Fan
wrote that a full bond was necessary, in
part, because Trump’s lawyers “have
never demonstrated that Mr. Trump’s
liquid assets — which may fluctuate
over time — will be enough to satisfy
the full amount of this judgment follow-
ing appeal.”
Trump’s lawyers asked the inter-
mediate appeals court, the Appellate
Division of the state’s trial court, to con-
sider oral arguments on its request, and
they preemptively sought permission to
appeal a losing result to the state’s high-
est court, the Court of Appeals.
Trump is asking a full panel of the
Appellate Division to stay the judgment
while he appeals. His lawyers previ-
ously proposed posting a US$100 mil-
lion bond, but Appellate Division Judge
Anil Singh rejected that after an emer-
gency hearing on Feb. 28. A stay is a
legal mechanism pausing collection of
a judgment during an appeal.
Singh did grant some of Trump’s re-
quests, including pausing a three-year
ban on him seeking loans from New
York banks.
An insurance broker friend enlist-
ed by Trump to assist in obtaining a
bond wrote in an affidavit filed with
the court that few bonding companies
will consider issuing a bond of the size
required.
The remaining bonding companies
will not “accept hard assets such as real
estate as collateral,” but “will only ac-
cept cash or cash equivalents (such as
marketable securities).”
“A bond of this size is rarely, if ever,
seen. In the unusual circumstance that
a bond of this size is issued, it is pro-
vided to the largest public companies
in the world, not to individuals or pri-
vately held businesses,” broker Gary
Giulietti wrote.
Giulietti, who acts as an insurance
broker for Trump’s company, testified
at Trump’s civil fraud trial as an expert
witness called by the former presi-
dent’s defense lawyers. In his ruling,
Engoron observed that some of Giuli-
etti’s testimony was contradicted by
other witnesses, including a different
defense expert.
Engoron wrote that in his more than
20 years as a judge, he’d “never encoun-
tered an expert witness who not only
was a close personal friend of a party,
but also had a personal financial inter-
est in the outcome of the case for which
he is being offered as an expert.” He
noted that Giulietti’s company collected
US$1.2 million in commissions on its
Trump accounts in 2022.
Trump appealed on Feb. 26, a few
days after the judgment was made offi-
cial. His lawyers have asked the Appel-
late Division to decide whether Engoron
“committed errors of law and/or fact”
and whether he abused his discretion
or “acted in excess” of his jurisdiction.
Trump wasn’t required to pay his pen-
alty or post a bond in order to appeal, and
filing the appeal did not automatically
halt enforcement of the judgment.
Trump would receive an automatic
stay if he were to put up money, assets
or an appeal bond covering what he
owes. He also had the option, which he’s
now exercising, to ask the appeals court
to grant a stay with a bond for a lower
amount.
Trump maintains that he is worth
several billion dollars and testified last
year that he had about US$400 million
in cash, in addition to properties and
other investments.
In January, a jury ordered Trump to
pay US$83.3 million to writer E. Jean
Carroll for defaming her after she ac-
cused him in 2019 of sexually assault-
ing her in a Manhattan department
store in the 1990s. Trump recently
posted a bond covering that amount
while he appeals.
That’s in addition to the US$5 million
a jury awarded Carroll in a related trial
last year. Trump has put more than
US$5.5 million in an escrow account
while he appeals that decision.
— The Associated Press, with files
MICHAEL R. SISAK
KAMIL KRZACZYNSKI / AFP
Former U.S. President Donald Trump needs to post US$557 million in cash or cash equivalents to appeal the massive fine imposed on himself and two of his sons from his fraud trial.
Legal experts say the likelihood of the appeal failing has spooked insurance companies, banks and surety providers.
Frustrated Manitobans driving to Moose Jaw for heart scans
A GROWING wait list for elective heart
scans in Manitoba is prompting some
residents to drive to Saskatchewan and
pay for the tests.
At the South Saskatchewan Heart
Clinic in Moose Jaw, Dr. Jeffrey Wilkin-
son says his private facility is seeing a
handful of Manitobans make the drive
to get echocardiograms each week.
“If you’re waiting on a heart test for a
year, that’s a really big problem. People
are gonna demand reasonable access to
health-care services… a lot of patients
are living in fear and anxiety,” Wilkin-
son told the Free Press.
The clinic, located about 650 kilo-
metres west of Winnipeg, performs
echocardiograms, which use sound
waves to track blood flow through the
heart and heart valves and can help
health-care providers diagnose heart
conditions, for a fee.
The clinic went private in October,
when it opted out of Saskatchewan’s
publicly funded heath-care system af-
ter struggling to meet its costs under
the province’s fee structure.
A consultation and an electrocardio-
gram — a standard procedure before
an echocardiogram — runs patients
$350 at the clinic. Wilkinson wouldn’t
reveal how much the clinic charges for
heart scans.
The wait list at the clinic is between
one and two weeks for an echocardio-
gram, despite the growing number of
out-of-towners seeking health-care,
Wilkinson said.
“It’s their heart, it’s important,” he
said.
Max Johnson has been waiting more
than three months to get an appoint-
ment for an echocardiogram.
In November the retiree was ground-
ed after travelling to Tbilisi in Georgia
— a country located at the intersection
of Europe and Asia — due to a blood
clot. A clinic in Georgia then found
Johnson had a heart issue and referred
him to a cardiologist when he got back
to Winnipeg.
“Now I’m in the ‘waiting room’ for an
appointment, and that’s when you really
don’t know when you’ll be seen,” John-
son said.
Shared Health said the median wait
time for elective echocardiograms is
30 weeks, but patients triaged as need-
ing a scan on an urgent or semi-urgent
basis are prioritized and generally do
not wait long.
However, Wilkinson said patients
making the near seven-hour drive to
Moose Jaw can’t or won’t wait that long.
Johnson has previously travelled to
Lithuania for elective knee surgery,
and said he would travel again if he
doesn’t get an appointment for a heart
scan soon.
“The not knowing is the hardest,” he
said. “If they would turn around and
say, ‘Your appointment is July the 8th,’
I would grumble, but live with it. But
it’s that the requisition goes into this
void and there’s nothing you can do but
wait.”
The union representing specialized
health-care workers said the province
is falling behind on national wait times
for heart scans.
Jason Linklater, president of the
Manitoba Association of Health Care
Professionals, said accepted bench-
marks are 30 days or less for elective
echocardiograms, less than seven days
for urgent scans and under 24 hours for
emergencies.
“We’re seeing Manitoba significant-
ly higher than other jurisdictions,”
Linklater said.
Most elective cardiac scans in Winni-
peg are performed at either Health Sci-
ences Centre or St. Boniface Hospital,
which have cardiology staff vacancies
and are contributing to the rising num-
ber of patients seeking diagnostic tests
at private clinics, the union president
said.
Prota Clinic, a private facility in the
city, was doing echocardiograms for a
fee between 2017 and last March, when
the province ordered a stop after the
federal government found Prota had
been charging patients contrary to the
Canada Health Act and its diagnostic
services policy.
The private medical centre had
charged patients more than $353,000
for necessary tests, leading to a claw-
back in provincial health funding.
Linklater said Manitobans shouldn’t
have to flee to the private sector to find
health care and insisted the province
do more to recruit and retain special-
ized health-care workers.
“We have an opportunity here to
build capacity within the public system.
And certainly that’s what we believe
is the best approach towards solving
this problem; it’s more cost-effective,
there’s more accountability, and it pro-
vides better connected and co-ordin-
ated care which really, really matters
for patients and providers,” he said.
In February Prime Minister Justin
Trudeau and Premier Wab Kinew an-
nounced funding to move on the NDP
government’s plan to hire more doc-
tors and nurses, but Johnson pointed to
administration as the real flaw in the
province’s health-care system.
“Our requests get passed from so
many hands to so many computers.
And by the time it finally spits it out,
it’s been a reasonably long time,” said
the retired travel agency owner.
A Shared Health spokesperson said
a new scanning machine and technol-
ogist were added at Grace Hospital in
January, which freed up space for 120
echocardiograms to be performed each
month.
Johnson is planning to travel back to
Tbilisi at the end of May and says if he
still doesn’t have an appointment with a
doctor at home he’ll pay to have it done
in Georgia.
“I’m very fortunate that I have the
resources that I can take advantage of
— going out of town or out of country,”
he said. “But I think of the thousands of
people for that is simply not an option.”
nicole.buffie@freepress.mb.ca
NICOLE BUFFIE
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES
Max Johnson is frustrated that requisitions for heart scans go ‘into this void and there’s
nothing you can do but wait.’
;